As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] F-Zero PX II - Race Finale: The New Champion of F-Zero PX is...

1212223242527»

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    We correctly identified two mafia and also incorrectly identified a bunch of others :P

Uncertainty? In my phalla? :tell_me_more:

A good strategy is one that increases your probability of success, results may vary and it doesn't prove/disprove a strategy. That's a phallacy/outcome bias.

Like previous game having a mafia bus an ally doesn't mean you should throw out vote record analysis even though it really changed the outcome of such strategy. And also why you don't rely on any one thing but it was still the correct play to go by with what village had at the time.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to argue, I think.

That it's incorrect to point at being wrong and invalidating your methodology? What else is there to your original sentence? Was there a point being made?

Having a methodology that sometimes nails mafia is the core strategy to mafia/werewolf.

It seemed like you were taking my opinion that I felt like the mechanics of the game were not conducive to finding mafia, and going "well, you found mafia without mechanics just by interpreting events, so that doesn't really matter!" And you will find mafia by just randomly guessing, eventually, so that isn't actually a very valid retort. So technically that's a methodology that sometimes nails mafia, but I wouldn't call relying on that to be a good strategy/design :P

I guess my point is that there's this whole set of mechanics that are in this game, and they mattered for the win condition, but the input/output/side effects of the mechanics didn't provide actionable information for the village. Usually you can use the mechanics in a phalla game to try and find people you suspect or trust more. Here, it seemed less the case to me. Maybe I just wasn't understanding the implications properly, but that's my feedback so nyehhhh :P

To be clear, it was still really fun. Just something I noticed later on, that it turned out I wasn't able to use the racing to really help find mafia.

I’ll be honest, I also really enjoyed the game (I only play to make funny posts), but I couldn’t even convincingly pretend to be village because I wasn’t sure what to say.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Probably good if the next game you're hosting there Endless.

Mafia 2 games in a row? Hello Day 1 vote. :)

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    We correctly identified two mafia and also incorrectly identified a bunch of others :P

Like every single other phalla? lol

What frustrated me is the dogged insistence, by several villagers, that those of us who had openly helped the village just couldn't be trusted. Not just not trusted, but outright mistrusted. For future reference, what else could a villager have done in this game to have earned trust?

be attacked by the mafia is pretty clear. Putting in work is always apparent. give their thoughts on current players? figure out some kind of strategy for the game? Of course there were more quiet people than mafia but not much you can do about that.

But... but I did all of those things.

That's why I thought you were village! It was just hard to work with you when you since you were trying to get me killed!

Dude, you spent a huge chunk of the of the thread disputing every claim I made and insinuating that ahava was Mafia. How was I supposed to interpret that as you thinking I was village? In my mind, you were out there poking holes in all of my theories to try and prevent the village from trusting me, after I had all but basically proven I was village. If you thought I was village, why did you second guess every single post I made?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Probably good if the next game you're hosting there Endless.

Mafia 2 games in a row? Hello Day 1 vote. :)

I'll vote for Endless anyways :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I misshot one day, but last day I was really feeling just 2 people and they were both mafia.

Lot of side eye at Cythraul as well because of his arguments that made no sense, but at least we got SLyM. :P

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Romantic Undead – the most trustworthy player in the game so far, and the key to a village victory. Must defend.

I had you in the quiet corner, but posting your thoughts on everyone is helpful.

This was me saying that I thought you were village. Just because you were probably village didn't make you automatically correct on all points in my mind.

I didn't insinuate anything about ahava until you gave me the impression you were working together outside of the thread.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Romantic Undead – the most trustworthy player in the game so far, and the key to a village victory. Must defend.

I had you in the quiet corner, but posting your thoughts on everyone is helpful.

This was me saying that I thought you were village. Just because you were probably village didn't make you automatically correct on all points in my mind.

I didn't insinuate anything about ahava until you gave me the impression you were working together outside of the thread.

That's because we were talking together! Because we were both confirmed villagers, but I guess we wrongfully assumed the village would pick up on that. Also, you omitted the entire rest of that post, where you spent all of it sowing doubt on what I was saying, point-by-point, essentially placing yourself at cross-purposes with me. If you truly trusted me, but didn't agree with some of my suspicions, you could have come to me in PMs, but instead you set yourself in public opposition of what I was trying to accomplish. How else was I to interpret that?

Also "posting your thoughts on everyone is helpful" can also be a very Mafia thing to say, as Mafia like to be told who the village thinks is a threat as well, as it allows them to tell their suspicious members to back off, and gives them a list of targets to bandwagon if they know the village already thinks they're suspicious, so you saying that was not the clear signal you may think it was, nor does it prove that you're a villager at all. Even if it had been, I had no reason to believe you and I shared a common goal, so why should I have taken you at your word? No one I trusted had vouched for you, and you had not done anything in the game to demonstrate you were village-aligned, unlike ahava, Spectre, premium, kime and myself. When I brought up in our PM thread that you were acting confrontationally, everyone basically agreed, so that's when we bandwagoned you.

Finally, if you reread that post, I cast suspicion on every single mafia member, and you defended every single one. The only ones you agreed with me on were 3clipse and JusticeforPluto, who ended up both being villagers. What that means was, had the game turned differently, and any of the other Crimson had died, I probably still would have suspected you for that post, and tried to get you killed later for defending them.

What I was hoping was that my post would help rally the village, and that the risk of the Mafia knowing who we (really, just I) suspect was outweighed by the possibility of the village banding together. Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. Oh well.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I guess I drastically misread the game in addition to being terrible at finding mafia.

Feels bad.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    To be honest

I don't actually try to figure out special rules until day 3.

Normally I die before then, so the extra brain power is wasted and I'm one of those folks that can read rules forever and still not get it until I've actually played for a bit.

That was not ideal for a time limited game

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I think we're all a little bit out of practice playing phalla, and with that some things that used to be a norm or easier reads between folks might not translate as clearly as it did in games from years ago. I think we can afford to cut each other a little slack. I myself snapped at a couple of people this game and I apologize for that.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Clearly, what the village needed was for me to dump all the math in the village thread, instead of the Mafia proboards (re: not knowing what to do with the mechanics)

Although I stopped most of that when my car wasn't working how it was supposed to, otherwise I might have continued to try and find Gizzy by how close they were to me (needed to pass me to action see, Austin was also close to me IIRC).
    A similar thing could have been done to attribute attacks to racers.

Which..
    If I had spent day 2 futzing around comparing quals to final placements in thread, the village might have decided to dump attack targets in thread after vote close.
    Which seems like a good village move honestly.
    It's not like you've lost health when you've been attacked publicly, so anyone who has been attacked and hasn't had an attacker declare the night before is more likely to have been attacked by a maf for Mafia reasons, or lying about being attacked for maf reasons.

discrider on
    As long as everyone learned that I am the best, I think that this phalla was successful.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Pfff I did better than you.

I dunno, one of us was top 3, the other bit it. 8-)

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    something something Day1'd for being the best...

/cheers Infidel

Anyway, time to go into hibernation for a few more years.

Cheers, all. (esp. Blarney for running the game)

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited September 2021
    JPants wrote: »
    something something Day1'd for being the best...

/cheers Infidel

Yeah.. I only killed Infidel because his pilot was MrBlarney.
    And it's like, in a choice between day 1ing the host and anyone else, you day 1 the host.

Edit: I think I misread this.

And I really was sweating day 1 with the prolonged tie (on 2) between me and Cythraul.
    I don't think either of us voted to save ourselves, and thought that would be a glaring red flag.
    Until the JPants wagon came to save the day.

discrider on
    edited September 2021
    Also playing phalla on the desktop forums is so weird.

@Gizzy
    Your Island name.
    That's terrible.
    It's been making me groan every time I see it.

discrider on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I did have fun though. I've missed playing with y'all. I'm less worried about feeling like we were unbalanced, and more just feel like I let the village down.

Hey Brody, could you remind me, why did you and Gizzy reach out to discrider again? Was there a reason you thought you could trust him?

Disc had softnetworked with Ahava and I. We were limited on who we could actually seer (we had to actually pass a person, which required they be close enough, and then you have to manage to let them be ahead of you and pass them back up), Gizzy was slightly ahead, so I figured she could take it a little slower, get passed, and then on the next round move first, allowing her to pass him. Other than that, I just sort of hoped the mafia actions would be obvious, because I'm not sure if there was a good way to prove someone's mafia/not status otherwise.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, if we/the village had figured out that posting attack targets in thread was a good idea, it would've made your job easier
    .. assuming it's not just ahava and I awake at vote close

discrider on
    discrider wrote: »

Gizzy
    Your Island name.
    That's terrible.

What is her island name? I haven't been there in over a year.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Felinefine.

Do most of you play these from mobile devices? Or just not pay attention to things like people's avatars and sigs?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I'm pretty much solidly in mobile most of the time

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

@Gizzy
    Your Island name.
    That's terrible.

You mean … so clever and on brand!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine

I've used mobile so much I often forget sigs exist, even when I'm on desktop. I do pay attention to avatars though.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I do most of my Phalla games on a desktop, mobile is just too hard to go back and read through stuff or whatnot. This one was mostly mobile, though.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

I've used mobile so much I often forget sigs exist, even when I'm on desktop. I do pay attention to avatars though.

Which is funny because you've got a good sig. I'd never heard of the book it's from before. Got me curious.

Also, I've wondered what your title & location under your avatar refer to?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited September 2021
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Which is funny because you've got a good sig. I'd never heard of the book it's from before. Got me curious.

Also, I've wondered what your title & location under your avatar refer to?

It is a Malazan reference.

Brody on