As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Where we don't click links we don't know even if our friends appear to send them!

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yeah they've added Wyoming and Colorado and goddamn that's gotta be pretty to drive through.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I should boot up ATS again someday but I need to grab a whole bunch of DLC when I do.

It's all on sale right this very moment. Discounts for states vary depending on how long they've been out.

Yeah I'm gonna hold off until I'm done with WotR and a few other games I need to get played. There'll be another sale down the road with more states at a steeper discount.

Yeah, it goes on sale all the time. Trouble is, as the state discounts increase, so do the number of states available...

sounds like an unstable state of affairs.

steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Yeah they've added Wyoming and Colorado and goddamn that's gotta be pretty to drive through.

Very much so. Utah's good for that too. Actually all of them are, there's lovely scenery in every state (so far at least).

I should boot up ATS again someday but I need to grab a whole bunch of DLC when I do.

It's all on sale right this very moment. Discounts for states vary depending on how long they've been out.

Yeah I'm gonna hold off until I'm done with WotR and a few other games I need to get played. There'll be another sale down the road with more states at a steeper discount.

Yeah, it goes on sale all the time. Trouble is, as the state discounts increase, so do the number of states available...

sounds like an unstable state of affairs.

The absolute state of this game...

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I made an American Truck Simulator thread, if you're interested in checking the game out you should come drive with us. The base game is currently on sale for only five bucks and I can definitively state that it is worth the price.

SmokeStacks on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So what happens if you buy, like, all the states but one? Imagine all 50 get released and you're like "nope, fuck Kansas. There's just a void there now." Do you have to avoid I-70? Take the long way home?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    So what happens if you buy, like, all the states but one? Imagine all 50 get released and you're like "nope, fuck Kansas. There's just a void there now." Do you have to avoid I-70? Take the long way home?

Pretty much, I think, yeah. Roads from other states that would connect to the missing one are cut off at suitable intersections, and you won't get jobs that go to or from that state.

If you were to get a state that doesn't border one of the others you already have, I think you'd probably have to use the fast travel to get to the isolated state and then just stay in that state, but I've not tried that out, that's just a guess.

But it seems pretty seamless and intelligent about how to deal with states that aren't there, based on how it handles ones that aren't available yet.

If you have a state that isn't connected to any others you have than you can fast travel to it and do jobs within it. I have Wyoming but haven't gotten around to getting Idaho or Utah yet so I was in that boat.

If you have a state that isn't connected to any others you have than you can fast travel to it and do jobs within it. I have Wyoming but haven't gotten around to getting Idaho or Utah yet so I was in that boat.

Being in a boat doesn't seem super useful in most of Wyoming, based on my experience there...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    I'd got myself to Utah (or northern Colorado, I forget) ready for Wyoming. Got the DLC, fired it up, and because of the map change my truck had been kindly moved by the game back to my garage.

...in Los Angeles.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

I mean, Kansas is already a void.

steam_sig.png
    So I asked something like this a while back but I don't remember the answers, and maybe things are different now anyway, so...

What's the cheapest wheel I could get that would work with ATS? I really enjoyed ETS but it just seems like it would be SO MUCH better with a wheel.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

Being in a boat doesn't seem super useful in most of Wyoming, based on my experience there...

I ended up in Wyoming once on accident (I got lost), and I remember seeing a lot of upside down cowboy boots stuck on fenceposts. I had no idea what the reason for this was, but I assumed it was the Wyoming version of the shoes tied together and thrown over a telephone line (which, consequently, I also have no idea what the reason for is). Outside of that, and the fact that Buffalo Bill was born there, I know precisely fuckall about Wyoming.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

As someone who has often driven from Wichita to Denver, you definitely want to fast travel that route.

steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    So I asked something like this a while back but I don't remember the answers, and maybe things are different now anyway, so...

What's the cheapest wheel I could get that would work with ATS? I really enjoyed ETS but it just seems like it would be SO MUCH better with a wheel.

Thrustmaster T150 or a Logitech G29, probably. If you can find a sale, even better.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Tape a steam controller to a Frisbee and enable gyro?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    edited September 2021
    Drovek wrote: »

Thrustmaster T150 or a Logitech G29, probably. If you can find a sale, even better.

"Thrustmaster" definitely doesn't sound like something I want to shop for on a work PC...

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

The G29 and G920 (although you want the G29 version, because although the internals are identical it has more/better buttons) both tend to go on really ridiculous discounts on Black Friday every year, and you can get them on sale for $249 pretty much whenever as well.

Alternately, I've seen used Driving Force GTs go on Ebay for as low as a hundred bucks. That's a much, much older wheel, but it's not terrible. Whatever you get, make sure its an actual Force Feedback wheel, and not one of those godawful "rubber band" atrocities.

I ended up in Wyoming once on accident (I got lost), and I remember seeing a lot of upside down cowboy boots stuck on fenceposts. I had no idea what the reason for this was, but I assumed it was the Wyoming version of the shoes tied together and thrown over a telephone line (which, consequently, I also have no idea what the reason for is). Outside of that, and the fact that Buffalo Bill was born there, I know precisely fuckall about Wyoming.

I lived in WY for, oh, like 5 years I think. It was quite different from anywhere else I've lived. Not the worst place ever, but different.

I was told boots are put on fenceposts to keep rainwater from getting into the end of the post and rotting it from the inside out. But I could have been being bullshitted about that, too.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

As someone who has often driven from Wichita to Denver, you definitely want to fast travel that route.

It's amazing that the entire drive until you get to Denver is just crappy flat plains in a straight line with a very gradual essentially unnoticeable elevation increase. It was designed by nature to be the most boring drive.

Fiatil on
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular

The G29 and G920 (although you want the G29 version, because although the internals are identical it has more/better buttons) both tend to go on really ridiculous discounts on Black Friday every year, and you can get them on sale for $249 pretty much whenever as well.

Alternately, I've seen used Driving Force GTs go on Ebay for as low as a hundred bucks. That's a much, much older wheel, but it's not terrible. Whatever you get, make sure its an actual Force Feedback wheel, and not one of those godawful "rubber band" atrocities.

I'm still using the Driving Force Pro for the PS2. I picked it up for like $30 new on a Gamestop clearance and the usb support has worked with every driving game I've tried on PC. Haven't used it for a while but I remember enjoying it when I played both of The Crew games.

edited September 2021

I haven't gone through Kansas, but I have gone through Nebraska. Similar feelings tbh.

Although The Lodge in Kearney, NE is (or at least was in 2008) a killer restaurant for the weary traveller, highly recommended if you're going through on I-eight-oh.

I lived in WY for, oh, like 5 years I think. It was quite different from anywhere else I've lived. Not the worst place ever, but different.

I was told boots are put on fenceposts to keep rainwater from getting into the end of the post and rotting it from the inside out. But I could have been being bullshitted about that, too.

WY got under my skin over several visits, and the run through the Tetons to Jackson is one of the most beautiful routes I've ever driven.

Jazz on
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »

I'm still using the Driving Force Pro for the PS2. I picked it up for like $30 new on a Gamestop clearance and the usb support has worked with every driving game I've tried on PC. Haven't used it for a while but I remember enjoying it when I played both of The Crew games.

In a similar vein, the Xbox 360 racing wheel and pedals work just fine on PC, and work fine with ETS 2 (and so presumably ATS). There's a lot of them for $50 or less on eBay, and the wireless dongle to use them (or any other 360 wireless controllers, for that matter) on your PC is about $25 on Amazon if the eBay seller doesn't include it.

I haven't gone through Kansas, but I have gone through Nebraska. Similar feelings tbh.

Although The Lodge in Kearney, NE is (or at least was in 2008) a killer restaurant for the weary traveller, highly recommended if you're going through on I-eight-oh.

WY got under my skin over several visits, and the run through the Tetons to Jackson is one of the most beautiful routes I've ever driven.

How.....dare you.....

First of all, Nebraska is pretty, but the main requirement to see this is to get off I-80. Go North, go South, it doesn't matter, get off the major road that was built on the flattest and most boring piece of land they could find because it was the easiest place to put a road on.

Secondly, The Lodge is okay, but I've preferred The Cellar for many years and I'm super sad that they closed for good last year.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »

In a similar vein, the Xbox 360 racing wheel and pedals work just fine on PC, and work fine with ETS 2 (and so presumably ATS). There's a lot of them for $50 or less on eBay, and the wireless dongle to use them (or any other 360 wireless controllers, for that matter) on your PC is about $25 on Amazon if the eBay seller doesn't include it.

Just make sure it's a wheel with some nice degrees of movement. I'd probably say that at least 720 would be good, specially for trucking.

You can find cheaper ones with less than that (and chances are they're not FFB wheels but corded, as mentioned previously), but for me the fun in parking the truck is maneuvering the wheel.

steam_sig.png( < . . .

That sounds more my price range. I don't really want to spend $200+ on a wheel just to play truck sims...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Parenting question!
    Our toddler has figured out that pushing the power button on the desktop tower turns a light on (the power button) and makes a noise!
    This is apparently the best thing. He's happy to push that button ten, twelve, an infinity of times.
    How, how do I stop this madness?

Put the tower up out of reach.

To add:

You should really have it up away from the floor for dust control reasons as well. The closer it is to the floor, the more dust it'll collect.

FLOOR PC CREW UNITE!

How.....dare you.....

First of all, Nebraska is pretty, but the main requirement to see this is to get off I-80. Go North, go South, it doesn't matter, get off the major road that was built on the flattest and most boring piece of land they could find because it was the easiest place to put a road on.

Secondly, The Lodge is okay, but I've preferred The Cellar for many years and I'm super sad that they closed for good last year.

Given where I was going, I-80 was an unfortunate necessity. But I did get the feeling that off that very beaten track there was more to find. There always is. Wyoming taught me that, funnily enough (again, I-bloody-80 and the getting off it).

Also if you're ever driving through Iowa for whatever reason, Smokey D's BBQ in Des Moines is an absolute must-stop. Their restaurant is huge and filled with BBQ championship trophies, and yes it's that good. When I take my wife to Mayo in Rochester, MN I plan shit around getting to Smokey D's for lunch.

Mugsley wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Parenting question!
    Our toddler has figured out that pushing the power button on the desktop tower turns a light on (the power button) and makes a noise!
    This is apparently the best thing. He's happy to push that button ten, twelve, an infinity of times.
    How, how do I stop this madness?

Put the tower up out of reach.

To add:

You should really have it up away from the floor for dust control reasons as well. The closer it is to the floor, the more dust it'll collect.

FLOOR PC CREW UNITE!

I'm in that group too, with my gaming PC raised off the ground by the simple redneck expedient of a couple bucks (or $20 at current lumber prices) worth of 2x4s

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I take no responsibility for this....

Behind the scenes:
    Not being a very good singer, I knew this was gonna be tough, but boy was I wrong just HOW tough. :)

I ended up doing over a dozen takes. It all had to be done in one take so I wouldn't have any off-sync edits. I recorded to a version of Favorite Things from the Sound of Music in order to get the sync timing just right. I actually nailed it on my third go and was pretty excited...until I heard it. It sounded flat, like I was reading from a paper (which I was).

So I went back and recorded it again. Another 2 attempts that came out great in timing, but still flat and not hitting where I wanted it to be. More attempts followed. And then even more attemps. Then I got it. It had tone and energy. The only problem was that it sounded dead without the music playing.

Off I went to find a karaoke version of the song. I went through half a dozen versions before I found one that sounded good and was actually in-time with the version I recorded to. So many variations with crazy timings or upbeat mixes. Ugh....

Finally, I realized I could create a custom album cover for the Soundcloud track, and figured I've already gone this far down the rabbit hole already. I'm not @HiT BiT, but I got it done.

So there you have it. While it's totally not necessary, if anyone wants to donate to the "Help Dover upgrade his mic" fund, I'd greatly appreciate it. My paypal is bengrayVO@gmail.com or you can PM me if you want to use something else. Again, no pressure or anything, donate if you want. I do a lot of these for fun and because I appreciate everyone in the PA forums.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    How is ETS2? I almost feel like I would be more interested in that (iberia and the balkans looked pretty cool).

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Classy thanks to @bloodatonement for a copy of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYFKcMa_Ek

through SteamGifts. I feel like this would be perfect for my Steam Deck when it comes.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Bloody hell @MNC Dover that was magnificent.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    For "not being a very good singer" that was pretty incredibly.

You should put that on your resume as a great example of how you can make shitty writing sound amazing!

bknhrg9hmalu.png

And now I have Blossom Tales, which was recommended when I posted about Zelda LTTP a week or so ago.

Thanks @Zavian! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    How is ETS2? I almost feel like I would be more interested in that (iberia and the balkans looked pretty cool).

Similarly pretty to ATS, and also continuing to get new content from the developers. A lot of it just comes down to personal preference: do you want to drive Euro cab-over trucks? Does the idea of driving around France, then hopping on a ferry or train to England and driving on the opposite side of the road sound like more fun than cruising through the American Southwest? ETS2 still seems to have a slightly bigger online community, if you want to get into the Virtual Trucking Company multiplayer stuff. That's a little too "my hobby is also a job" for my tastes, but YMMV.

As good as ATS. The games are basically on a par quality-wise, they even share update version numbers at this point. Just bear in mind some assets in ETS2 may be older if you're in areas that haven't been updated yet, since it's an older base game, but they should still look fine - they run on the same engine, with the same lighting system etc. You'll have mostly cab-over trucks, right-hand-drive in some cases too (that'll vary by country along with the side of road you're driving on), which is a bit different.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021

That sounds more my price range. I don't really want to spend $200+ on a wheel just to play truck sims...

I spent $250 on a wheel recently! To play truck sims! (ETS2 4 LYFE)

Oh, and also Farming Simulator 19 WITH the Heavy Equipment Side Panel.

It’s been 1000x more fun with wheels and lots of clicky buttons.

See? e3l217z0w5sl.jpeg

(I don’t know why pic is rotated. I play at your normal human orientation)

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    For "not being a very good singer" that was pretty incredibly.

You should put that on your resume as a great example of how you can make shitty writing sound amazing!

So long as it's not the writer hiring, there's a 95% chance that would be a huge selling point!

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

(I don’t know why pic is rotated. I play at your normal human orientation)

The steamchat rotation bug is spreading!

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.