As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    sadly the 3rd party chargers that can charge watches that aren't apple watches are pretty slim pickings. there just isn't enough of a market for it since most non apple watches all use different charging methods.

All the Samsung watches use the same charger but at last report Apple had the #1 marketshare in smartwatches at 33% of the global market, while #2 was Huawei at 8%, with Samsung at #3 also at 8%.

So without a standard across the everyone but apple market it's really hard to make a 3rd party charging product that will move enough volume to actually be worth it, unless it is a first party solution.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I have a samsung charger that I like, but it's not shaped like that.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I got the new wide wireless charger for free when I bought my Flip 3 and it is nice and big. I can fit 2 Flips on it and a watch if I wanted. It is much easier to lay it on the wireless spots than the original puck designs, but probably doesn't help your decision. For me though, I had to turn on my notification sound to make a noise when I put my old phone onto the puck charger since there were nights when I did the same thing as you Spaniard. Either that or put it on there sideways so I can see the glow or if it is flashing saying it isn't on there properly. I've been trying out the 85 percent charge lock so far and leaving it off the charger overnight (making sure I'm at around at least 50% when I go to bed). So far it only drains at worst 7% and I pop it onto a wired charger in the morning to put it back to 85 for the day. I do find myself tossing it onto a charger in the evening before bed to keep it at around 50%, but so far I have no problems with my battery life for how I use my phone at home teleworking.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Well fart... Okay I can live with my watch on its little charger. Are there any really good, trustworthy, dual chargers that I can use for my phone and earbuds that don't cost a ton?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Well fart... Okay I can live with my watch on its little charger. Are there any really good, trustworthy, dual chargers that I can use for my phone and earbuds that don't cost a ton?

Maybe these?
    https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/wireless-charger-duo-pad-white-ep-p4300twegus/
    https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/wireless-charger-pad-trio-white-ep-p6300twegus/ <- this is the one I just got and it is nice.

Unless those cost a ton? I don't know anymore since I haven't bought one in a long time (last one I bought were the Samsung pucks).

Saw this while searching for those charging pads:
    https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/wireless-charger-duo--black-ep-n6100tbegus/
    Guessing it is really old now? I don't remember it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    The samsung duo pad is good for one device and one watch, it won't charge 2 non watch devices.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    If anyone is interested in a few more dinosaur photos, some photos of the area where those dinosaurs are found (.....and a few pictures of my dog), I have some Fold 3 camera samples here. and also size comparisons between the Fold 3 and a Note 10+ and an iPad Air. Spoiler: the Fold 3 is big enough that I don't use my iPad nearly as much.

https://www.thewunderbar.net/blog/2021/9/8/samsung-galaxy-z-fold3-5g-review

Nice photos, thank you for sharing them. I'll have to go back and read through your review later, but wanted to comment that thing is crazy when unfolded! I can see why you don't use your iPad as much anymore.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nice photos, thank you for sharing them. I'll have to go back and read through your review later, but wanted to comment that thing is crazy when unfolded! I can see why you don't use your iPad as much anymore.

Slightly different aspect ratio, but the screen is about the same size of the screen on an iPad Mini (7.6 vs 7.85). I just don't have one of those to put it beside.

I actually have an older 16:9 8" samsung tablet in a drawer. The Fold would be wider and almost as tall as that.

wunderbar wrote: »

Slightly different aspect ratio, but the screen is about the same size of the screen on an iPad Mini (7.6 vs 7.85). I just don't have one of those to put it beside.

I actually have an older 16:9 8" samsung tablet in a drawer. The Fold would be wider and almost as tall as that.
    True, the aspect ratios are much different. You just reminded me that I miss the old Note 8 that Samsung made long ago. Used that thing forever and loved it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Just got the Pixel 5a and two first impressions. One, this thing is nearly the size of my Pixel 3XL and two thank god the headphone jack is back.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Just got the Pixel 5a and two first impressions. One, this thing is nearly the size of my Pixel 3XL and two thank god the headphone jack is back.

I'm super happy about the headphone jack as well. The one downside I've found is with the new size (coming from a Pixel 3) of the phone in the official Google case is just a smidge too large to fit in the cupholder on my car. So I need to find a classy way to store it or mount to my dash.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I use a PopSocket and Mount and it works well.

Or there are those cup holder swivel things: https://www.weathertech.com/products/weathertech-cupfone/

The headphone jack is the one thing I miss on the Flip3 coming from the S9.

oosik_betsuni.png

The headphone jack is the one thing I miss on the Flip3 coming from the S9.

I did not realize how annoying using Bluetooth to switch audio devices was. Pair it with the car then my Bluetooth speaker then the work headset for when I'm mowing the lawn . Jesus just give me a cord.

I mean, to be fair you pair it to a device once then not again. It's not like you have to pair it to your car every single time you get in.

I miss the headphone jack, I wish more phones still had it, but I say that as someone who hasn't plugged a set of headphones in in going on 3 years now. It really isn't a huge deal, though the option should be there.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm for more options, but the benefits of BT are really high.

Always fun though when my phone will jump from my headphones to wife's car as she's going to work. Usually just a podcast but it's been a few calls too.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Or there are those cup holder swivel things: https://www.weathertech.com/products/weathertech-cupfone/

Where the hell am I supposed to put my coffee?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

The other cup holder?

My last nice pair I used to mow the lawn (or do any yard work) were corded. Then I lost them I picked up a cheap bluetooth pair and really miss it. The only thing I still used the plug was for my car since I don't have a fancy new car like most people. Heck, my truck still has a cassette player in it!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

Me and my wife are thinking about doing the subscription thing for that since we're already on Fi. The phone is basically half as much as if we bought it outright, which we usually do. Seems like the only downside is if you found a better deal with a different carrier but we're not planning on changing.

joshgotro wrote: »

The other cup holder?

Then where do I put my water?

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

The other cup holder?

Then where do I put my water?

The other other cup holder.

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    This could work for me. I have 19 cup holders in my car.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    My last nice pair I used to mow the lawn (or do any yard work) were corded. Then I lost them I picked up a cheap bluetooth pair and really miss it. The only thing I still used the plug was for my car since I don't have a fancy new car like most people. Heck, my truck still has a cassette player in it!

My Accord is 2006. I bought a converter box about 8 years ago that plugs into the back of the head unit and has a RCA plug on it. Then I plugged a RCA cord with a 3.5mm jack into a Bluetooth dongle. Problem solved.

It's even easier for you because you can plug a cassette adapter into a BT dongle. No need to take apart half the console.

Point being: there is always a way.

Mugsley on
    Bluetooth dongle. Dang it why didn't I think of that.

I went and bought the usb-c to headphone jack device the other day.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Case finally arrived, time to start actually using the pixel 5a I got. It's a bit bigger than the pixel 2 I had before and it's got swipe stuff instead of the home/whatever buttons along the bottom, we'll see how long it takes me to adjust to those and whatever other changes I find here and there.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    Mugsley wrote: »

My Accord is 2006. I bought a converter box about 8 years ago that plugs into the back of the head unit and has a RCA plug on it. Then I plugged a RCA cord with a 3.5mm jack into a Bluetooth dongle. Problem solved.

It's even easier for you because you can plug a cassette adapter into a BT dongle. No need to take apart half the console.

Point being: there is always a way.

There's a cassette to Bluetooth adapter? That's amazing.

I was thinking more of plugging the 3.5mm jack from the tape adapter into a Bluetooth dongle, but this also exists

I'm still not happy with case options for the Pixel 6. Way too many companies are trying to stay "thin" and doubling down on the hump

I'm still not happy with case options for the Pixel 6. Way too many companies are trying to stay "thin" and doubling down on the hump

There's one from Osophter that seems alright looking, but yeah most of them look like they don't offer a ton of protection.

Also Spigen has no offerings yet. That's surprising

I mean, the phone isn't actually out yet. i'm sure there will be case options when the Pixel 6 is more than a behind glass display unit in a google store.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    a phone hump to surpass metal gear...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Also Spigen has no offerings yet. That's surprising

Nothing from Supcase either.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I mean, the phone isn't actually out yet. i'm sure there will be case options when the Pixel 6 is more than a behind glass display unit in a google store.

Usually they get them out pretty early because the CAD specs come out and they can start producing in time to be available when the phones are.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

I also just got the Pixel5a after having a LG V30 for 4 years. One thing I noticed is the speaker vibrates the entire screen, it's a little strange. I also didn't realize several simple apps I used were LG-specific, so I had to find alternatives that weren't so Google intwined.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    *pours one out for another V30*

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    A few days ago my provider sends me an email saying "3G is going away, get a new phone". It sounded more like a solicitation than an actual warning but it does have me concerned. I'm not the type to get a new phone until my old one stops working, particularly because of budget concerns.

Am I really that close to my Moto Z3 Play becoming just a PDA?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List

Thanks for that link. I forgot when the different carriers are phasing out 3G. Also reminds me that I need to go in and activate this sim card to use 5G.

oosik_betsuni.png