As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You must pay $60 to read the same arguments in the [Nintendo] thread

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    .....you know, a Lego/Paper Mario game could really work. It's already all about the physical objects. Paper Mario stomping on Lego goombas. Collecting the little Lego pips.

If that's the only way to get another good Paper Mario game then I'll take it.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    .....you know, a Lego/Paper Mario game could really work. It's already all about the physical objects. Paper Mario stomping on Lego goombas. Collecting the little Lego pips.

Hey, Origami King wasn't BAD. But I don't think they're going back to the old style, this is just a way to synergize with the style they're going with.

sig.gif
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    ...don't they already have a Mario lego set?

Now, if this was like, a Lego Mario game on the Switch, that might be quite something.

There's a Lego Nintendo Entertainment System set (Which I'm currently building) that is an awesome showpiece.

There's a Lego Super Mario series that is on wave 3/4, recently introduced Luigi, and is more of an interactive board game / toy than anything else. Very cute seeing all the Mario denizens in Lego form.

There are RUMORS that Lego is going to announce a microscale Peach's Castle, and that's the leading theory on what this is. Though that is weird, with the emphasis on the question mark block.

Lego and Nintendo have been getting along pretty well the last few years, it seems.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the question mark block opens up like a polly's pocket to reveal the castle

liEt3nH.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    the question mark block opens up like a polly's pocket to reveal the castle

I would totally be down for this. Recently, Lego has done a series of books that open up into play spaces for the Harry Potter series, and the main thing stopping me from getting those is Harry Potter / JK Rowling. (It's also stopping me from getting the kickass mechanized Hedwig and Fawkes statues.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Origami King was very good!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It was, but... well, I want another game in the vein of TTYD still.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Are you ready to find Princess Peach? Open the LEGO Super Mario 64 ? Block and here we go! Open the LEGO Super Mario Block and relive the adventure!  https://t.co/0qfzoIcfXV

#LEGO #LEGOSuperMario #SuperMario #SuperMario64 #QuestionMarkBlock https://t.co/tI903E1rEl

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZTPPU09gYE

Star Fox is barely in Starlink and this is what he needs

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm given to understand that Star Fox was at least partially inspired by the "supermarionation" series by Gerry Anderson like Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, hence the tendency to use similar puppets in promotional materials. With how well the Yoshi games have pulled off a hand-built aesthetic, I think a Star Fox game built to resemble a supermarionation aesthetic could be neat.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Hot take: star fox was only ever good as a tech demo when Nintendo was pushing 3d graphics and gameplay on consoles forward. Now that they're behind in those departments there is no point in continuing them.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    star fox adventures is the best one

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It was, but... well, I want another game in the vein of TTYD still.

Have you played Bug Fables? It was real good, I'm hoping it becomes a series.

sig.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

i really want a port of it, i loved it when it came out (and am not a fan of any other star fox game)

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Hot take: star fox was only ever good as a tech demo when Nintendo was pushing 3d graphics and gameplay on consoles forward. Now that they're behind in those departments there is no point in continuing them.

Nah, I like my shooty plane game in space, and there's room for the kind of game that provides. I just wish they could commit to going past fighting Andross on Venom. We've done that three times now.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    The original Star Fox is one of my favorite games, though I admit a lot of that is nostalgia. I only had a handful of SNES games growing up so I played a ton of it.

The Corneria theme is, to this day one, of my favorite music tracks in video games.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvkkqxs8m0&ab_channel=WingsMarioDS

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    My StarFox pitch:

Ordinary controls.
    New story.
    Alternate routes/levels.
    Only Arwing missions.
    Final destination.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    My StarFox pitch:

Ordinary controls.
    New story.
    Alternate routes/levels.
    Only Arwing missions.
    Final destination.

I liked the tank and submarine though... it broke things up a little bit.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    My pitch:

Ace Combat: Lylat.

I liked the on-foot combat in Assault, and the wing-riding missions were... well, they were different. A lot of it was just shoot all the targets, but the boss fight with the mechanic was memorable at least.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/v56BRim3g0w

First episode of a new miniseries, it's a promising start.

My eyes hurt after 3 hours or so of playing, but I "beat" Blaster Master Zero 3.. that is, I saw the standard ending. Like its predecessors, there is a different ending for 100% completion.

It wasn't too bad! There was more than one spot where I had absolutely no clue where to go or what to do, and I think the game (and the series) is WAY too bright compared to the original. And the story's fairly simplistic. But I do like the twists and turns in this one.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021

Christ, I hated that game. A game like that lives or dies on its side characters, and Star Fox Adventures died a thousand cowardly deaths by that metric.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Gotta see how I feel about the different character controls, but the new Warioware is very itself in terms of its style, I'm grinning a lot so far.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    They just need to make Starfox 64-2 and put it out digitally for $40

But for some reason Nintendo has a stick up their ass about their (non-mario) games needing some special "thing" in order to make a new one.

Same for F-Zero. It's obnoxious.

Just make a game! It doesn't need any special "thing"!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Athenor wrote: »
    My eyes hurt after 3 hours or so of playing, but I "beat" Blaster Master Zero 3.. that is, I saw the standard ending. Like its predecessors, there is a different ending for 100% completion.

It wasn't too bad! There was more than one spot where I had absolutely no clue where to go or what to do, and I think the game (and the series) is WAY too bright compared to the original. And the story's fairly simplistic. But I do like the twists and turns in this one.

It's not 100%, it's just tied to you going into the parallel world X of times (I don't know how many, but you hit it if you explore all the dungeons enough). You eventually will trigger a conversation with your co-pilot where he mentions about how easier you're finding it over there or something.
    And then you have to input the button combo you use to enter the parallel world during the last cutscene with Eve.

edited September 2021
    Naphtali wrote: »

It's not 100%, it's just tied to you going into the parallel world X of times (I don't know how many, but you hit it if you explore all the dungeons enough). You eventually will trigger a conversation with your co-pilot where he mentions about how easier you're finding it over there or something.
    And then you have to input the button combo you use to enter the parallel world during the last cutscene with Eve.

Ahhh. Shit. Okay. I was getting the copilot thing, but I would've NEVER guessed
    the game was prompting me to enter button combos during a cutscene.

Thank you, that saved me from a lot of frustration in a few hours' time.

Goddamn this game is so non-intuitive at times. I keep hitting the wrong buttons for menus (that's a Nintendo thing), and it annoys me to no end that the big flashing "!" marks to show something is new never go away, even when I force the game to give me quips about them.

I... really do like it, but I've always felt the series hasn't lived up to the original in the art department... and especially the music. Like.. there was just something awesome about the original game's music that I never felt with the new ones. And it wasn't for lack of trying! I do love them... urgh, I'm trying not to sound too down on the games.

Athenor on
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Christ, I hated that game. A game like that lives or dies on its side characters, and Star Fox Adventures died a thousand cowardly deaths by that metric.

Ooooh, a lovely sweetie

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    They just need to make Starfox 64-2 and put it out digitally for $40

But for some reason Nintendo has a stick up their ass about their (non-mario) games needing some special "thing" in order to make a new one.

Same for F-Zero. It's obnoxious.

Just make a game! It doesn't need any special "thing"!

My take on this is that "we don't have an interesting hook for it" is a slightly more polite way of saying "nobody in the building is interested in committing 2-4 years of their professional lives toward the process of creating a repeat of our previous games". It's easy to want Just More Star Fox 64, but unless you have a critical mass of people who are willing to put considerable effort into making Just More Star Fox 64 (including and especially senior staff like producers/directors), it's not going to happen.

To put it another way, I think it's less a moral directive than a matter of creative enthusiasm.

(In the case of annualized Mario games, I'm given to understand that they're used as proving grounds for entry-level employees. You come in the door, you work on the next Mario game. They're the known quantities with a comparatively objective metric for success/quality of the game.)

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Metroid video.

Bleh, the melee counter is back. Maybe they won't build literally every boss encounter around it this time.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Ooooh, a lovely sweetie

I swear to god if I hear someone go "dum te duum!" ever again...

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky

Goddamn this game is so non-intuitive at times. I keep hitting the wrong buttons for menus (that's a Nintendo thing), and it annoys me to no end that the big flashing "!" marks to show something is new never go away, even when I force the game to give me quips about them.

I... really do like it, but I've always felt the series hasn't lived up to the original in the art department... and especially the music. Like.. there was just something awesome about the original game's music that I never felt with the new ones. And it wasn't for lack of trying! I do love them... urgh, I'm trying not to sound too down on the games.

Yeah don't worry about it, it's not obvious that's what you have to do. I had to look it up as well. I had reached the unlock but didn't know about the button combo.
    I think when you get the crack in your helmet POV that appears during the cutscene is when you can input the shoulder input to activate VRV.

Ooooh, a lovely sweetie

I swear to god if I hear someone go "dum te duum!" ever again...

No! That's tooo loow!

Damnit, I don't usually get special editions and almost all my Switch games are digital, but that artbook/steelbook would definitely make me pause and buy it that way.

Glad the Amiibo functionality is minimal. Just means they are still IMPOSSIBLE TO PRE-ORDER KICKASS METROID STATUES... not that I'm bitter.

edited September 2021

Yeah don't worry about it, it's not obvious that's what you have to do. I had to look it up as well. I had reached the unlock but didn't know about the button combo.
    I think when you get the crack in your helmet POV that appears during the cutscene is when you can input the shoulder input to activate VRV.

HOLY HELL!
    So... I thought the game would just end, give me a new ending sequence where Jason lept into the trans-dimensional space after Eve, like a love-struck idiot with nothing to lose.

... I just picked up the map and saw just what I was doing. And heard familiar music. And... I'm just grinning ear to ear.

Unfortunately my controller's battery is about to die so I'm giving it some juice before I explore this MASSIVE part of the game that is hidden behind an arbitrary button combo!

Edit: Okay, truly beat it.
    I'm kind of disappointed that it doesn't matter which way you beat the final boss, though winning as Kane is much harder. But I did pull it off. :) Thanks to finding the supercannon weapon. I wonder if Kane would've used that against Jason if I had it?

In any case. Kind of a nice end.

Edit 2: Reading through the wiki pages, it's amazing how many references to the other Blaster Master games they worked in there, beloved or panned. Just... wow.

Athenor on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55973
    Ver. 13.0.0 (Released September 14, 2021)
    Bluetooth® audio support was added.

Headphones, earbuds, speakers, and other audio devices that connect with Bluetooth can now be paired with Nintendo Switch family systems for audio output.
    Bluetooth microphones are not supported.
    Up to two compatible wireless controllers can be connected to the system while using Bluetooth audio.
    Bluetooth audio cannot be used while local wireless communication is active.

also you can update your dock firmware now, which I didn't even know was a thing that existed until now
    And they changed control stick calibration

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Wait, that shit was doable with just a downloadable patch?

Wtf have you been doing until now nintendo

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Enlong wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Nah, I like my shooty plane game in space, and there's room for the kind of game that provides. I just wish they could commit to going past fighting Andross on Venom. We've done that three times now.

Yeah, we can definitely use more arcade rail shooters, especially ones with the depth and pedigree of Star Fox 64.
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55973
    Ver. 13.0.0 (Released September 14, 2021)
    Bluetooth® audio support was added.

Headphones, earbuds, speakers, and other audio devices that connect with Bluetooth can now be paired with Nintendo Switch family systems for audio output.
    Bluetooth microphones are not supported.
    Up to two compatible wireless controllers can be connected to the system while using Bluetooth audio.
    Bluetooth audio cannot be used while local wireless communication is active.

also you can update your dock firmware now, which I didn't even know was a thing that existed until now
    And they changed control stick calibration

I think it only applies to the docks with the LAN port, i.e. the ones that come with the OLED model.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Wait, that shit was doable with just a downloadable patch?

Wtf have you been doing until now nintendo

There's always been Bluetooth in the system, the issue is the implementation.

My immediate reaction was "Oh sick, but what about the latency?"

Initial thoughts on reddit are damning, with one user claiming around a 1/4 sec of lag.

That much lag is mildly noticeable with video, and not at all noticeable when the song takes 1/4 a second longer to start playing.

That is real bad audio lag for action games. That's 15 goddamn frames behind the button press.

So it's likely that Nintendo wasn't quite comfortable with throwing that feature on systems right away around launch, and maybe spent some time working with it, and decided to give it out anyways. It's likely that a lot of people won't be bothered by the lag (a friend of mine plays games with no audio, the heathen), but as for me, I'm staying wired.

This discussion has been closed.