As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    That's how they get ya. Harper was boring too.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I've just moved to a smaller town, and have cancelled my service from Bell and switched to Cogeco. Can they offer the same level of speed and reliability as Bell? Nah. You know what they DO offer though, FREAKING CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT MAKES SENSE!

They delivered my modem to my door, and all I had to do was give them my address. I didn't have to clear my schedule from "sometimes between 8:00 and 4:00" There were no "set-up" or "installation" fees, and when I called to confirm everything was good, I got a friendly CSR immediately, instead of waiting for an hour to get a grumpy rep who doesn't even know how their own system works, and who doesn't spend half the call trying to up-sell products and services that I didn't ask for using overly-rehearsed canned lines.

Can Cogeco offer the same level of internet performance as Bell? No, no they cannot. But guess what? I. do. not. care.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I'm with Videotron mainly for the customer service. Their prices and internet speeds are ok I guess. But whenever I've had a problem they've answered the phone quickly and helped me solve it professionally. Most recently when I was unable to stream on wifi from my bedroom the tech patiently ran test after test with me until we managed to figure out what the problem was (baby monitor on the bedside table causing interference).

Most ISPs are equivalent when things are running well. It's when things are not running well you see which ones are good or bad.

sig.gif
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    That's how they get ya. Harper was boring too.

That's how the Cons win. They have to get that PC skin-suit on nice and snug so the crazy doesn't show. Gotta look boring and normal so the voters annoyed at the Liberals are willing to go with the other default choice without feeling like they are voting for crazies.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I'm with Videotron mainly for the customer service. Their prices and internet speeds are ok I guess. But whenever I've had a problem they've answered the phone quickly and helped me solve it professionally. Most recently when I was unable to stream on wifi from my bedroom the tech patiently ran test after test with me until we managed to figure out what the problem was (baby monitor on the bedside table causing interference).

Most ISPs are equivalent when things are running well. It's when things are not running well you see which ones are good or bad.

I'm with Storm (Ottawa region reseller of Bell/Rogers). I can't get the fastest speeds, but who really needs 500Mb, but their customer service is hands down better than working with Bell or Rogers directly, and their pricing is 15-20% lower for the same service.

Stay away from Xplornet though, absolutely awful customer service.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    We're using teksavvy, who are a Telus reseller. Advantage over Telus: lower prices. Disadvantage: they can't actually do anything themselves if things go wrong, I have to call Teksavvy, they make me unplug/replug my modem etc etc, have no idea what could be wrong (because they aren't Telus) then Teksavvy puts in a ticket with Telus, and everything takes a while to get fixed.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I'm with Shaw. It's always been solid as a rock but certainly on the expensive side.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    There definitely needs to be better regulation of pricing. When I lived out in the country, best service was Xplornet at $125/month for 25 down, 1 up, Bell offered 10 down, 1 up for $95. Starlink is in the same price range (last I checked around $115), but you at least get speeds worth the cost. There should be no reason why they(Bell specifically in my case) can charge that much for something you would get for $25 in the city from a reseller.

But, we are the country of high internet and phone service with 0 competition. Rich get richer!

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    We're on Teksavvy here in ontario, but Start.ca is pulling fibre in all over the goddamn place thanks to funding. We've migrated a few work sites to it from Rogers. Costs less, better speeds and fibre over cable. Waiting for them to get close to where I live, not that I have a problem with Teksavvy for the most part. I think my modem rebooted a couple times during prime a few weeks ago, but before that I can't remember any problems.

Local PPC campaign chair got the boot for throwing rocks at Trudeau. Marc Emery is still running and his larger signs are all anti vaxx / anti lockdown.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    There definitely needs to be better regulation of pricing. When I lived out in the country, best service was Xplornet at $125/month for 25 down, 1 up, Bell offered 10 down, 1 up for $95. Starlink is in the same price range (last I checked around $115), but you at least get speeds worth the cost. There should be no reason why they(Bell specifically in my case) can charge that much for something you would get for $25 in the city from a reseller.

But, we are the country of high internet and phone service with 0 competition. Rich get richer!

Isn't Xplornet satellite? Because that sounds decent for satellite.

Unless they also offer terrestrial connections in places.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Xplornet is satellite, we have a few users on it. It's pretty much unusable for remote work I've found.

You know, in the last 10 days of an election, you'd think we'd have something more interesting to talk about than ISP plans and customer service.

sig.gif
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    You know, in the last 10 days of an election, you'd think we'd have something more interesting to talk about than ISP plans and customer service.
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I predict that everyone's stressed out and just wants it over with and we'll end up exactly where we are now.

I bet $1 on it.

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    A poll came today for Québec provincial politics..

givamcbm4dm2.png

For those who don't know who the dark blue guys are - that's parti conservateur du Québec. They've been arround since 2009 but were largely inconsequential until COVID. Contreversial radio host Éric Duhaime was elected their leader. He is fairly well known, especially in Québec City. He's a less dumb Bernier, basically. He's been making a name for himself opposing COVID measures.

Fun fact : Duhaime's gay! The leader of our most right wing party is gay and no one gives a shit.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    It's frustrating. The media are giving Duhaime the Bernier treatment, giving him free publicity and spotlight time like he's some major political force, when he's a fringe lunatic and should be treated as such. They have learned nothing from the 2019 election.

sig.gif
    O'Toole is a much better debater in English than in French.

sig.gif
    I'm officially sick of Paul talking about her family and name-dropping JWR.

sig.gif
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I appreciate your live updates. After Trump and Hillary I can't bring myself to watch another political debate.

edited September 2021
    I appreciate your live updates. After Trump and Hillary I can't bring myself to watch another political debate.

You're not missing much. To my mind, this is the least interesting of the three debates. Trudeau and O'Toole are both clearly aware that a single misstep will be the only thing anyone will talk about for the rest of the campaign and will likely sink their campaign, and they are very guarded in their answers. Singh is desperately trying to convince people he's a third option. Blanchet, while debating better in English than either Singh or O'Toole in French, is still clearly outside his comfort zone. Paul has heard that you should use personal experience to build a relationship with voters and turned that up to 11 by bringing up a family member at almost every question.

EDIT:
    Question right now is how your government would help seniors. Just as I hit "send", Paul started her answer with "Coming from a family with a grandmother..."

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    O'Toole is a much better debater in English than in French.

That's probably true of everyone except Quebec natives though. Unless you use it daily you won't be comfortable in it

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I don't even hear people talking about the election in person. It's like it isn't happening. I predict lower than usual turnout.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I've never really paid attention anything about Ms. Paul before today aside from that she had a rocky ride to Green party leader. But after an hour and twenty minutes in this debate it feels like I've learned more about her roughneck brother and her parents who had to work long into their retirement age, and her neighbors and friends than her policies.

Question on inflation and the housing crisis.
    Moderator: "It's your turn Mr. Blanchet."
    Blanchet: "Thank you. Can anyone tell me how to translate logement social?"

That got a laugh from me. I do like that they all answered, too.

sig.gif
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The open debate segments with all five are basically useless. The more targeted two or three person discussions, and *especially* the direct, pointed questions by journalists is excellent. They're taking no shit from the candidates.
    Also it was great to see APTN news representation on the moderation team.
    It's kind of sad, but the best use of this debate is forcing the leaders into proper journalistic interviews.

Ha! I like Rosemary Barton!

"That's an anecdote, Ms. Paul.... what's your policy?"

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    The debate....was brutal

Awful format, the moderators may have had more time than the candidates, they interrupted right as actual debate would occur, they didn't really allow any of the leaders to hit points, and there were so many questions they couldn't actually provide deep answers

Only memorable moment for me was the incredible Paul shutdown of Blanchet about systemic racism which, goddamn, and she had a surprisingly good showing which contrasts hilariously with how idiotic the Greens had been in eating themselves alive just a few weeks ago

The rest was just.....exhausting

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Annamie Paul was the only person talking any real sense but the political climate in this stupid country basically means any sort of coalition government with the greens is an impossibility. That said, the Greens are still most likely getting my vote.

Jagmeet is an embarrassing party leader for the NDP. Just an absolute pylon of a man and leader.

Did you people watch the same debate as me? Paul was by far the weakest debater. She spent most of the time talking about her family. After two hours we know nothing about her policies but we're well-prepped for thanksgiving dinner at her house.

sig.gif
    Did you people watch the same debate as me? Paul was by far the weakest debater. She spent most of the time talking about her family. After two hours we know nothing about her policies but we're well-prepped for thanksgiving dinner at her house.

She frequently made comments about having a personal relationship to a lot of the topics discussed but she didn't go overboard at all. In fact showing that a leader is impacted directly by these things is important imo.

I'm not sure why you're being as hyperbolic about it as you are unless you're trying to do it for a misguided comedic effect.

I think the sticking point here is that Ms. Paul spoke more about her personal connection to the issue than to the issue itself.

Rosemary Barton even called her out on it directly at one point.

She frequently made comments about having a personal relationship to a lot of the topics discussed but she didn't go overboard at all. In fact showing that a leader is impacted directly by these things is important imo.

I'm not sure why you're being as hyperbolic about it as you are unless you're trying to do it for a misguided comedic effect.

In both the french debates and the English one combined I don't think she ever contributed anything but personal anecdotes. She seems to be an extremely toxic person all in all and is killing what little good will the greens had.

She was the only one that talked about needing to cross party lines in order to impact some of the bigger issues affecting the country, which is a breath of fresh air coming from one of our political leaders.

And I know that a lot of that is lip-service but in this trash political climate/election season I'll take it.

Plus I enjoyed her calling out Trudeau on his "feminism".

She was the only one that talked about needing to cross party lines in order to impact some of the bigger issues affecting the country, which is a breath of fresh air coming from one of our political leaders.

And I know that a lot of that is lip-service but in this trash political climate/election season I'll take it.

Plus I enjoyed her calling out Trudeau on his "feminism".

When you have absolutely zero chances to hold any power whatsoever.... That's pretty much the only line you have.

Trudeau's deputy PM is a woman and was our chief negotiator as well as having the most women cabinet members of any government. All Paul did was try and throw mud.

I don't think the "some of my best friends are women" argument stands relative to someone questioning your feminist creds personally.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I think the sticking point here is that Ms. Paul spoke more about her personal connection to the issue than to the issue itself.

Rosemary Barton even called her out on it directly at one point.

I didn't really care about her making those personal connections because she was trying to actually establish who she was on the stage when she's had zero coverage due to never leaving the one riding she's quixotically trying to gain, so by showing how she is personally attached to them she's setting herself up to be a sympathetic figure

She could maybe have done it a few times less, sure, but she's competing for a single seat and not the rest of the country so, y'know

I thought she had a pretty solid showing considering my expectations were at the floor level, but also having a candidate who can speak personally to racial and gender issues is a good thing, even if I don't think she's the leader of a particularly credulous party

Also clowning on Blanchet is very, very funny

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    I don't think the "some of my best friends are women" argument stands relative to someone questioning your feminist creds personally.

So what exactly qualifies? He's put more women in positions of power than any PM in history....

Disco11 wrote: »

So what exactly qualifies? He's put more women in positions of power than any PM in history....

Well, actually being a feminist would be a good start...

That's.... not an answer.

Or letting perfect be the enemy of good at the bare minimum.

That's.... not an answer.

Or letting perfect be the enemy of good at the bare minimum.

As a male I feel uncomfortable defining what is and isn't feminism so I'm not going to do that.
    That said, I'm perfectly fine calling out behaviour that seems to be hypocritical to how Trudeau bills himself.

What does it mean to be a feminist, in your opinion?

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.