As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Die maus macht ein gutes bier.
    0xaxuq6daotp.jpg

That is Waddle, their Märzen. Very heavy, almost syrupy. Not pictured is their Pumpkin Beer For Cafés. Also très bien; much lighter than the Waddle.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Marzens were literally everywhere in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan and like I can't find a single fuckin marzen except Live Oak's now that I'm in Austin

w t f Austin I know it's hot but I WANT MARZEN

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    We drink the March beer in September to celebrate October

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    So I'm back at Shoeless Brewing Company. Now, as far as pumpkin beers go, Southern Tier's Pumking is like, the only pumpkin beer I'll touch.

Uuuuuuup until 5 minutes ago when I tried their Chai Punkin. Its... maybe better than the Pumpking. Like, it is absurdly good. 7.4% abv and smooth as silk. The Chai helps so much and the pumpkin on the backend is like, a pumpkin pie.

Wowee.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    IT IS PUMPKIN BEER SEASON!

I have already purchased some: Pumpking, Warlock, Pumpking Nitro Cold Brew, Rogue Farms Pumpkin Ale, and one other one I can't recall the name of.

I really haven't been drinking the past year, but damn it, Pumpkin!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If you like pumpkin beers, do look out for that Off Color one.

Sounds closer to Juggernut's as it's also brewed with black tea I think? More Autumn flavored than pumpkin specifically.

• Options
    I bought more stuff to try that heffe again. Gonna use a cold line this time to try and get it the right temp before I pitch my yeast.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Are POG (Passion Fruit, Orange, Guava) beers trendy everywhere right now? I've come across a few local breweries putting them out lately. Just enjoyed The Last Unicorn POG sour and it was fantastic.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Orange has been popular for awhile, but passionfruit and guava have been getting more common.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I have tried a decent number of guava beers and not a single one of them has ever actually tasted like guava. Not even a little bit. They haven't been bad beers, but I don't think I would ever guess they were supposed to be guava beers if I were sampling blind.

Passionfruit, on the other hand, has been done really well by a few different places for a while now. I think 5 Lizard from 5 Rabbit brewing in Chicago has been my favorite. Maui Brewing Co has a good one too.

I loved POG juice blends when we lived in Hawaii. Haven't seen any POG beers, but I'll pick some up if I do.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    I have tried a decent number of guava beers and not a single one of them has ever actually tasted like guava. Not even a little bit. They haven't been bad beers, but I don't think I would ever guess they were supposed to be guava beers if I were sampling blind.

Passionfruit, on the other hand, has been done really well by a few different places for a while now. I think 5 Lizard from 5 Rabbit brewing in Chicago has been my favorite. Maui Brewing Co has a good one too.

I loved POG juice blends when we lived in Hawaii. Haven't seen any POG beers, but I'll pick some up if I do.

Night Shift Brewing (MA, NH, CT, NY, PA, ME), had a really good Guava Wiesse this summer, but it was only seasonal.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Two weeks from today I'm going to be in Portland and need to figure out the breweries to visit.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    If you like pumpkin beers, do look out for that Off Color one.

Sounds closer to Juggernut's as it's also brewed with black tea I think? More Autumn flavored than pumpkin specifically.

Oh yes! That's the other one I couldn't remember the name of. Brewed with black tea! I have a 6 pack

• Options
    Capping off the night with an Ayinger Privatbraureri Bavarian Pils.

Stupid crisp, golden and clean with a monster head. Hop bitterness right up front with the bready wheatiness on the back. I think using the Hallertau hops which I've got for my heffe.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Ayinger has one of the most ridiculously consistent and varied catalog of beers known to man. Their Celebrator dopplebock is one of the 3 best beers I've ever had and I always have a couple when eating at a local Austrian restaurant, usually capping off a meal with a couple of servings of imported Alpine schnapps that weight in at anywhere from 110-120 proof.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Two weeks from today I'm going to be in Portland and need to figure out the breweries to visit.

Wayfinder - lager gods, if it can be bottom fermented they've got you covered
    Von Ebert - just took American IPA GABF gold today, location is three blocks from Powell's
    SteepleJack - newly opened in SE, converted church, utterly unique experience, beer was good
    Breakside - would suggest the NW location, still best all-around pound-for-pound brewer in town

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »

Wayfinder - lager gods, if it can be bottom fermented they've got you covered
    Von Ebert - just took American IPA GABF gold today, location is three blocks from Powell's
    SteepleJack - newly opened in SE, converted church, utterly unique experience, beer was good
    Breakside - would suggest the NW location, still best all-around pound-for-pound brewer in town

I was already sure of Breakside, Von Ebert is added, and the venue for SteepleJack makes it a definite yes.

Is Deschuettes worth visiting or stick with buying bottles?

• Options
    Deschutes is also within a couple of blocks of Powell's and since you're going to be wandering through the state during harvest time, Fresh Hop Mirror Pond is a yearly recommend. That won't be bottled.

Drop a line if you'd like while in town.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m at a beeeer festival and I’m happy

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    This is your regularly scheduled post that Avery Rumpkin is worth ten dollars a bottle and yes he starts at 17% alcohol.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I found a full bottle of Tripel Karmeliet out in the wild and you can bet all of your collective bippies I bought that shit.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I found a full bottle of Tripel Karmeliet out in the wild and you can bet all of your collective bippies I bought that shit.

11.2 oz or the 25.4? Either way, congrats sir, that definitely makes you one of life's winners on this day.

Myself, I picked up a 6 pack of Paulaner's Marzen and a 4 pack of Skullsplitter scotch ale for my kickoff to Oktoberfest season. Next weekend I'm going on an eau de vie hunt for some authentic Bavarian kirschwasser and Godiva chocolate liquor to make a Black Forrest cake and get fucked up while baking said cake.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    This is your regularly scheduled post that Avery Rumpkin is worth ten dollars a bottle and yes he starts at 17% alcohol.

Why isn't this available near me?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m 69 unique beers from my 1k on Untapped

Time to start figuring out what special beer I’m going to do for number 1,000

Might need help to get something I can’t get around here.

• Options

I'll have to remember that idea for 1500.

• Options

Kind of like to get my hands on some Pliny for 1k

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Sam Adams had a new one that is high enough ABV that it is illegal in 15 states, according to the Google News headline that's been showing up for me. If you're not in one of the 15, that might be easier to get than Pliny.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    The brewery in Denver I bartend at is closing. For now. Landlord decided to double our rent after we weathered the pandemic closing and never missed a payment. So fuck that guy.

Bosses are looking at new places but who knows. It's a crazy market here right now.

Last Day to pour is October 9, so if anybody is in town and wants to get hammered with a bunch of bartenders....

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Disappointed I'm finding this the last week of summer. Wonderfully refreshing.
    8xs41lojm3vg.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Pliny is everywhere out there near Santa Rosa. I was in Sonoma and it was in the grocery stores. I'm sure we've got a few forumers out there.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Pliny is everywhere out there near Santa Rosa. I was in Sonoma and it was in the grocery stores. I'm sure we've got a few forumers out there.

Role call please!!

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Elder should be fairly easy to get since it's a year round release. Pretty sure Younger is only a limited run in Feb.

Carpy on
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    Elder should be fairly easy to get since it's a year round release. Pretty sure Younger is only a limited run in Feb.

I'm down in Fresno and there's multiple spots that carry bottles of the elder

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I'm in San Diego and you can get bottles of Elder at most upscalish grocery stores here.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Disappointed I'm finding this the last week of summer. Wonderfully refreshing.
    8xs41lojm3vg.jpg

I love me a radler, but I didn't get any this year. Beer exploration has been woefully absent this year. Well, all exploration, really. Hermiting is way, way up though!

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Hello beer thread.

My office is moving to a new space, and the subject of a kegarator has been bandied about. I've never purchased or had one, but I have experienced their glory on many occasions held in friends backyards. Looking at something that fits a pony keg (or two) and I have found some options through quick searches, but wanted to see if anyone here has recommendations. Company is paying for it, so I would like to keep it reasonable so that we get a thumbs up.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Hello beer thread.

My office is moving to a new space, and the subject of a kegarator has been bandied about. I've never purchased or had one, but I have experienced their glory on many occasions held in friends backyards. Looking at something that fits a pony keg (or two) and I have found some options through quick searches, but wanted to see if anyone here has recommendations. Company is paying for it, so I would like to keep it reasonable so that we get a thumbs up.

I have the two tap version of this one: https://smile.amazon.com/EdgeStar-KC2000-Full-Kegerator-Cooler/dp/B0170NWHDM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=EdgeStar+KC2000&qid=1632273007&sr=8-2

Ours has been set up for almost 2 years now and has worked perfectly. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend who was really happy with his. It holds beer in a reasonable sized keg (or kegs, the two tap version can hold two sixtels easily). It keeps the beer cold. It's easy to use. I couldn't see any great reason to go for any of the fancier models or more expensive brands.

• Options
    Well I’m in Minnesota and I’ve never even seen a bottle of Pliny the Elder!

• Options
    At my usual taproom tonight. Wrapping up - growler fill time. Barley Browns epic CDA of the gods, Turmoil, is on the board but flashing red. I check the website - 0% full says the technology.

Fuck it, says I - fill it. After all, partial fills are free but you have to drink it in house. Worst case scenario, I'm passing out tastes. The owner, tending taps tonight for the first time in months, is dubious I'm getting anything to take home. Two guys behind me legit bet each other their next drink if it'll make it. Half the bar watches it fill up.

I haven't been hanging out with crowds for a while, so it was kind of good to hear a loud cheer as the overflow occurred. Covered me, my friend, the guys behind me, and a half pint for the owner. 0% is a theory because this keg is eternal.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    The only cascadian dark ale / black ipa, what have you we get anymore down here in SoCal is Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous and it is a very poor representation of the style. le sigh.

Edit: Tonight I am having a Stone/Deschutes collab beer, Let's Bee Homies, a Hazy IPA brewed with honey, and it's actually really good! I think it brings honey forward in a way that even tops Bell's Hopslam.

user on