As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I mainly just don't think it was enough of a basic feature improvement that he felt it was necessary

removing a lot of clearance requirements seems like it has a lot more promise for him

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I guess besides the drones, there wasn't a lot of "break the universe" stuff in that update.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    zoop

ehehe

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    They just revealed on stream that (I think) conveyer lifts will have 8 points of articulation instead of four. (so you can aim them diagonally now.)

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    They just revealed on stream that (I think) conveyer lifts will have 8 points of articulation instead of four. (so you can aim them diagonally now.)

Oh, damn. That's actually pretty big! I'm assuming this is just at the end points for them and they'll stil lbe straight up and down, but still!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

The Giga-factory rises. Background building is the Iron forge, second big building is the steel forge. below that: Steel rods and steel plates (Rods are just to have a ready supply, Plates are used later). The glass dome building is the Steel beams. Train stations are bringing in coal (the one in the back connected to the spiral) and plastic in this picture - the plastic one is also taking away copper ore for what will eventually be a super computer factory. There's a third train station just out of view bringing in concrete.

The nice glass stuff is from the Structural Solutions mod, if anyone's curious.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Dang, I misunderstood how power storage works.

I thought it was a battery I could charge and then pick up to take around and use instead of biofuel burners.

But I guess they're just stationary. Bummer.

• Options
    They're really good though! I used to have a giant battery bank, but I've switched to just building a set of 5 or so alongside each train station I build, which makes more nice redundancy and helps avoid any single points of failure.

Functionally each one acts like a 100mw power plant, it just only discharges when there's demand outstripping your production and has to be filled up first.

Honestly, these days when it comes to exploring it's usually easiest to spider around with the zipliner, and once you break into t7, the hover pack is your new God. So you end up creating a power grid across the world anyway.

• Options
    Yeah it's nice to have a bank of batteries at each factory that's capable of independently powering that factory for a while if I need to disconnect it from the power grid for a bit.

I've also learned to build hyper tubes to distant points. It's time consuming to build initially, but worth it to be able to just hop in a tube and AFK while it takes me to the other side of the map.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Yeah it's nice to have a bank of batteries at each factory that's capable of independently powering that factory for a while if I need to disconnect it from the power grid for a bit.

I've also learned to build hyper tubes to distant points. It's time consuming to build initially, but worth it to be able to just hop in a tube and AFK while it takes me to the other side of the map.

I wish it would display on the power poles or something when a network was running on battery power. Like a yellow warning light or something. I also make special pillars that can hold rail, tube and belt connections. Makes it easy to span the map without having weird floaty platforms.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Designing scenic hypertube trails is also a fun exploration exercise.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Just realized I need to figure out WTF i'm going to do with the water byproduct in my nuclear recycling setup. It's always something.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Just realized I need to figure out WTF i'm going to do with the water byproduct in my nuclear recycling setup. It's always something.

0yws30o6htlb.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

there's a refinery recipe for wet concrete that's good for this. mine some limestone, make the concrete, sink it.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

there's a refinery recipe for wet concrete that's good for this. mine some limestone, make the concrete, sink it.

Yeah, before overclocking it needs a heft 100 water a minute. Limestones' abundant, concrete's useful...

If you have excess polymer resin anywhere, you could also bring that in and use the water to turn it into Plastic/Rubber via the recipe for those.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3lVrBdjFE&ab_channel=CoffeeStain

changes to vehicles!

improving vehicle pathfinding, saving and loading paths, better truck stations, etc.

I still doubt trucks will ever be the ideal solution to any problem but this will make them a lot more fun to mess around with and that's more important anyway

• Options
    This is good news - Where i'd really like to use vehicles personally is as a mid range option, something where a whole train setup is excessive, but dragging out a conveyor belt is just ugly/resource intensive (I mean, yes, resources are technically infinite, but it's ah ell of a lot nicer to not sit around waiting esp as you're climbing up the tech tree).

I'm not actually sure where i'd use them in my current game... but hey, i'm sure something can be figured out that'd be fun.

• Options
    I use them when a belt would be long/ugly/inconvenient and I either haven't progressed to trains or, more likely, I just don't want to deal with running a new track somewhere

they get a lot better if you have smart splitters unlocked since then you don't need two separate truck stations for each part

• Options
    I want vehicle elevators to raise and lower my trucks near cliffs.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I have like 200 hours in this game but I still think of myself as somewhere between beginner and intermediate in my ability to do things.

When you all are building, do you use smelters directly into constructors or do you have lines of smelters feeding into storage and then run out where needed?

I've always just done the first thing and it seems like it prob just limits production as things ramp up and get bigger.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I have like 200 hours in this game but I still think of myself as somewhere between beginner and intermediate in my ability to do things.

When you all are building, do you use smelters directly into constructors or do you have lines of smelters feeding into storage and then run out where needed?

I've always just done the first thing and it seems like it prob just limits production as things ramp up and get bigger.

oops misread. I smelt on-site where the extractors are, but then I truck the finished item into storage at a factory to feed the machines there. I just make sure that I leave enough space in my smelting operation to account for maximum extractor output/max conveyor speed.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Ore -> Smelters -> Constructors is usually a direct route using appropriate splitting, because inputs are usually going to match or exceed outputs. After constructors I start integrating storage to act like a buffer because things get a lot more complicated from there onwards. One exception is screws, because their high use rate means it’s usually better to make them in-line with whatever they’re being used for rather than trying to bank them somewhere central to split out.

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Ore -> Smelters -> Constructors is usually a direct route using appropriate splitting, because inputs are usually going to match or exceed outputs. After constructors I start integrating storage to act like a buffer because things get a lot more complicated from there onwards. One exception is screws, because their high use rate means it’s usually better to make them in-line with whatever they’re being used for rather than trying to bank them somewhere central to split out.

I work backwards in laying out my factories, so if I want X computers in y minutes then I'll in-line everything to get there as close as I can.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    "Start from the end" is what I usually do in Factorio, but I haven't quite worked my way into that in Satisfactory yet.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I just build what have you here and there until I can't figure out the spaghetti anymore and then I quit until the next major update.

It's called efficiency.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Ianator wrote: »
    "Start from the end" is what I usually do in Factorio, but I haven't quite worked my way into that in Satisfactory yet.

I've found that up to computers and reinforced frames you can go all the way back to the basic assemblers all in one factory building. So pretty much build all in one factories for level 4 equipment, and then feed them into specialized level 5, 6 and 7 factories.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »

I work backwards in laying out my factories, so if I want X computers in y minutes then I'll in-line everything to get there as close as I can.

I used to do this, but I found that I kept changing the scope of the end project in the process of installing it. Now I work in the ground-up direction. Totally valid either way, it's just a matter of preference.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Starting to think I should have made my nuclear setup's quickwire at the nuclear setup instead of by the caterium node. Need 780 quickwire to get both Uranium and Plutonium production up to max, and I don't like cutting things that close if I can help it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    You guys ever spend like three hours building a very large factory on the presumption that it'll be supplied by a pure node only to go back and realize that it's actually just a normal one?

Heh... me neither...

• Options
    You guys ever spend like three hours building a very large factory on the presumption that it'll be supplied by a pure node only to go back and realize that it's actually just a normal one?

Heh... me neither...

Were you planning on overclocking?

• Options

Heh... me neither...

Were you planning on overclocking?

Yeah.

• Options

Heh... me neither...

no I've never once started a project where my understanding that one number was actually a different number ultimately caused me to waste four hours on a factory that didn't work, that's never happened, certainly not twice, on the same oil refinery, for the same reason

• Options
    It's done. IT'S DONE!!!

I have my plutonium processing/recycling station up and running! Man that took a long ass time! You have to build so much things! Gonna let it work through my waste backlog before I bring all 30 nuclear stations online, plus I still need to pipe in 13,000 more water.

No pictures because the radioactivity was eating through my filters at a rate of several per minute and I was running low on them.

I likely have a lot of tweaking left to do. (Belts I forgot to connect, making sure the entire production line is stable) but the full setup is online and running.

Guess this just leaves Space Elevator parts. That's going to take awhile.

• Options
    Well it took forever but I finally got my computer factory up and running.

It ain't pretty, but if everything goes according to plan I should now be making 20 computers per minute.
    80mytv6ytgfq.jpg

• Options
    https://youtu.be/HJyfSle4o_U

engine update coming

all mods breaking again :|

• Options
    also it turns out we were wrong about Josh and Let's Game It Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_PEIFKPPoE&ab_channel=Let%27sGameItOut

• Options
    edited September 2021
    After tracking down a pesky underperforming water pipe (Forgot to hook up one of the extractors) my nuclear setup is now 100% complete and 100% waste-free. Several hundred iodine infused filters died in the process of making this.

That's 30 Nuclear Reactors all running. Component parts are produced to the east and west, the whopping 9000 water comes from extractors to the west, north and south, uranium is processed and turned into fuel rods to the north (where the uranium cave is located). This setup produces 6 uranium fuel rods per minute, which turns into 300 nuclear waste. Formerly the waste was shipped far, far below to be stored forever, but now I got a new way of dealing with it!

Floor 1: Fertile Uranium
    First we go to the very bottom floor, where six blenders take 225 Nuclear Waste (along with 150 silica, 90 Nitric Acid and 90 Sulfuric acid) per minute and turn it into 300 non-fissile uranium which is then shipped to the next floor. The 90 waste water per minute gets shipped up to be used in one of the power plants.

Floor 2: Plutonium Pellets
    Three particle accelerators take the 300 non-fissile uranium and the remaining 75 nuclear waste and produce 90 plutonium pellets, which are shipped to the next floor to be encased in concrete.

Floor 3: Encased Plutonium Cells
    Nine assemblers take the 300 plutonium pellets and encase them within 180 concrete. Combined with the concrete used to make the encased steel beams and uranium fuel rods, this stretched my concrete production in the area nearly to the limit, needing both a fully maxxed normal and a pure node to operate. I think there's only 10/min leftover. The resulting 150 encased plutonium cells are sent up to the next and final level.

Floor 4: Plutonium Fuel Rods.
    Six manufacturers take the 150 encased plutonium cells and combine them with 15 heatsinks, 27 steel beams and 9 electromagnetic control rods to produce 1.5 plutonium fuel rods a minute, which are immediately sunk for a couple hundred thousand points and ZERO leftover waste (Even chewed through my stored up waste while build this) But what does 30 nuclear power plants worth of power look like?

Oh yeah, I got power for days.

With the waste taken care of, I can now focus back onto making space elevator parts. For that, I'll need batteries, both for one of the parts, as well as for the drones I'll need to transport these components, so my first priority is setting up a dedicated battery production plant. I got a spot picked out and all the necessary components are nearby. If I did my math right, I'll be getting 240 batteries per minute out of this!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Battery production is done. This was a really fun project. It was nice doing something fairly simple compared to the nightmare that it was to set up my nuclear production in Update 3.5 and then try to retrofit waste processing on top of that.

I found a Sulfur and Bauxite nodes near each other that were also not super far away from my base (though everywhere is close when you abuse hypertubes, of course). It honestly couldn't have worked out better. I'm fully using the normal Sulfur node and am almost fully using the nearby impure and normal bauxite; between the 480 alumina used for the battery fluid and the 240 cases used for the battery cases, I have just enough alumina leftover to make an extra 40 cases to get sunk.

It was overall a nice and easy project; even running the quartz lines through the swamp wasn't too bad since I was laying power and thus could use the hoverpack. HOnestly, the hardest part was making sure the water balanced out. Eventually I made sure that lines that were already perfectly numbered for what I needed (180 and 360) to go directly to machines instead of having everything on a bus.

I filled up two industrial storage containers, as well as three Drone docks, in no time flat. Soon the sky will be blotted out with drones!

For the special project parts, I not only want to produce the ones needed for the project, but I also want to fully automate them for the eventual goal of sinking even more items. Unfortunately, that project is going to be a HUGE pain in the ass. I'm gonna need a lot more fused modular frames per minute!

• Options
    Anyone try out the new experimental engine update yet?

• Options
    Bleh, I hit a new wall.

I need to set things up for the final Space Elevator teir, but the numbers are so daunting that it's sapping my desire to play.

Like, what I WANT to be doing is figuring out a way to automate all of my equipment (Beacons, Nobelisks, Rifle Ammunition, Gas Filters, Iodine Filters) because that seems more fun and has a more immediate result, but the weight of the special project numbers are so high that I'll be permanently stuck in "If I set that up FIRST, I'll be able to get a chunk of the way through it by the time I'm done with the equipment factory"

I'm thinking of just setting up a quick and dirty temp factory to make the parts via filled bins rather than automating the entire process, and worry about setting up project parts for sinking later, but that's still a lot of work and doesn't seem that fun.

I'll be curious if needing 10,000 parts for this final tier will get nerfed at some point. It's such a huge leap over the prior teir.