As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    We went to take ridiculous child to daycare, and he had a congested coughing fit as we put him in the stroller. So now he’s hone another day.

We are going slowly mad.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Gah more than 24 hours later and still no test results. Little King is coughing a lot, so regardless of the results he can't go to school like this. If it is Covid they probably need to cancel his school trip for the whole class, so the stakes are unfairly high.

No Covid!

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Oh I haven't posted here in an age. But my kids have continued to grow for some reason! And now they're telling stories

Also surprise appearance by our 11 month old puppy Daisy (Corgie Kelpie cross).

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My kids' school is bilingual, and communications are sent out in English and Spanish. I am monolingual, but can recognize some Spanish words.
    We just got a memo with school times and starts, etc, and the Spanish version was just.. wrong. Wrong dates, wrong times, etc. At the end it says "2019-2020", so I'm guessing they reused last year's as a template.
    I post the memos on facebook as a part of the FTA, and tried to fix what I could with a disclaimer at the top that I really didn't know what I was doing (I can tell "Septiembre 5" is not the same as "September 13", but I can't translate that there is no bus service this year, so I just cut out the Bus service reference since I know it changed)
    Emailed the person sending the memo, and I hope no one got confused. School starts Monday. I love my kids' teachers, and know things will work out. But it would be grand if things were a little more put-together and not so last minute.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Oh I haven't posted here in an age. But my kids have continued to grow for some reason! And now they're telling stories

Also surprise appearance by our 11 month old puppy Daisy (Corgie Kelpie cross).

*American Brain* Awww, they have TV accents, that's adorable

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Nending is on day three of nursery. So obviously she's got a high temperature and is now excluded for either 48 hours or 10 days. Noooo.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Usually my partner walks our 5 year old to school in the mornings while I get ready for work. Today and tomorrow, though, I'm doing it so I finally get to see his classmates. Y'all, I know he's tall for a 5 year old (a little over 4ft tall) but seeing him next to kids his age is hilarious. He towers over all of them and is about the size of the 7-8 year olds.

Cruor on
  • Options
    So, Mrs Moon is getting a gastric sleeve on Monday (assuming all goes to plan) and she'll be in the hospital for two days after for recovery and monitoring.

Aside from the suppressed anxiety it brought up from her severe pancreatitis that put her in the hospital for two weeks at the end of 2018, it also has me feeling a little guilty that I am going to be the one attending Thea's first day of preschool and not her.

On Wednesday we had the parent orientation and they were also going with a 14 day quarantine for a positive Covid test.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Get an email from nursery at 1657 on Friday evening saying there's been a positive Covid case in one of the rooms.

Doesn't say when the case was identified.

They had a big party on Wednesday where all the rooms mingled.

Doesn't help that the UK Government has abandoned all restrictions etc so no one has to self isolate and all you have to do is get a PCR test if you're worried.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, can I just say gradual entry in the way it’s done here for Kindergarten is some bullshit. This was our eldests first week of school and he went for one hour on two days and will not go back until Tuesday. He’s more thrown off by this then he would have been by starting full time, which in itself won’t start until after next week.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    *American Brain* Awww, they have TV accents, that's adorable
    Funnily enough, they've picked up a few Americanisms from TV and YouTube over the years.

Just glad they haven't picked up anything from the Izzy's Toy Time/Game Time because OH MY GOD I cannot stand it.

"Babe boop babe squeel PARKOUR babe boop" AHHH KILL ME NOW

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    So, can I just say gradual entry in the way it’s done here for Kindergarten is some bullshit. This was our eldests first week of school and he went for one hour on two days and will not go back until Tuesday. He’s more thrown off by this then he would have been by starting full time, which in itself won’t start until after next week.

It's just kinda of funny how here, the language is that they want kids to adjust to full- time schooling.
    My kids have attended daycare since they were little babies. They adjust and are fine with longer days away from their parents. Gradual is harder, as they like consistency better. Make the change, get used to it, don't change it up every day.

I'm so glad my kids are getting old enough that they just.. start school. My youngest has a half day the first day, but that's the only thing they're doing.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

It's just kinda of funny how here, the language is that they want kids to adjust to full- time schooling.
    My kids have attended daycare since they were little babies. They adjust and are fine with longer days away from their parents. Gradual is harder, as they like consistency better. Make the change, get used to it, don't change it up every day.

I'm so glad my kids are getting old enough that they just.. start school. My youngest has a half day the first day, but that's the only thing they're doing.

One hundred percent agree. If you need to make a routine change with the kids, just do it and eat shit for a few days until they adapt. Kids are fine with most stuff as long as it's consistent.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Jeez last night was one of the worst nights we've had for a long time.

I knew this would happen. Finally gives us a month of sleeping through to take it away just as we're getting used to having sleep.

I made him a ham and cheese sandwich the other day.

He now speaks about that sandwich on a regular basis.

"Daddy ham and cheese shop please"

Got to meet his cousins for the first time in his life yesterday.

They're five and seven and they loved playing with him. Was worried he'd have a meltdown at first as they're very in your fave and he seemed to be struggling but in the end he did really well.

Remains to be seen if my brother will allow it to continue or if he'll find another spurious reason to be mad at me and not seen me for four years.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    He now speaks about that sandwich on a regular basis.

100%, can relate.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

One hundred percent agree. If you need to make a routine change with the kids, just do it and eat shit for a few days until they adapt. Kids are fine with most stuff as long as it's consistent.
    Yeah this is what we did for basically every major routine change we’ve had with T so far. And these days we have the added benefit of them being able to understand us when we tell them things, which means we can prepare them ahead of time for changes. Seems to make things go more quickly once the change starts.

T gave up the pacifier in one night at 17 months old with absolutely no issues, not even a whimper, likely because of that. We spent 2 weeks prepping them for it in various ways, mostly by mentioning it every time they were about to go down for a sleep. They already hadn’t been using it for anything other than sleep for over a year, which likely also helped.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    💯 agree. Most kids these days are in daycare I think, they don’t need weeks of small dribbles of school.

Fortunately I’m on parental leave with our 11month old until the big guy starts full time, but the disruption.

Big dude is also going to play rugby so I guess I’m a sports parent now

:so_raven:
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    In heartbreaking pandemic related news, Ripley asked me if she should put her mask on before coming down from her room this morning.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The school my kiddo was attending last year decided to have no online preschool instruction this year, so until the vaccine comes around for kids he's still rambling around the house with me. On the one hand this means he's still relatively safe; the wife goes out to shop, but otherwise she works at home and I was the stay-at-home parent before the pandemic, so his exposure to the outside is basically nil.

On the other hand . . . this also means for coming up on 5 years now the bulk of my every waking moment has been spent with my kid. Which is kind of tiring, after a while. My wife steps in on weekends and sometimes after she gets off work, but I'm still primary parent, and primarily grounded to home for the time being. It's why lockdown wasn't a big deal for me so much; I was already mostly doing it.

But I've gotten so tired of it.

For his part, we've only been in one venue where a mask was required and in that instance he put it on and kept it on a remarkably long time for an autistic kid who does not like his face covered. Like, multiple hours.

But for that brief time between when he turned 3 and when lockdown happened at the end of 2019-beginning of 2020 he was hopping on the bus, going to school, and coming back over a period of 5ish hours or so and first it was a blessing for me and second he was totally there for it. No separation anxiety or anything. Which I think, all things considered, means I've very lucky because when he does get to go back to school, it's going to be so easy to just . . . send him off to school.

The hardest part, really, is going to be getting this very sweet kid to distrust some people, because while he started being distrustful of almost anyone, at this point I feel like he'd follow along with anyone willing to play with him. :bigfrown:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    On someone's anniversary, the night before they're going to have gastric sleeve surgery you give them a card. Do you include:

A. Two gift cards to B-Dubs and Panda Express

B. Not fucking that.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    On someone's anniversary, the night before they're going to have gastric sleeve surgery you give them a card. Do you include:

B. Not fucking that.

B

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Child is running laps around the lounge.

The lawn is too muddy (omg so much mud), and it's super duper windy out.

So she's just running back and forth.

• Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

B. Not fucking that.

B

Could you please tell my mother that.

We just dropped off Athena for an overnight since we're going to the hospital at 6am tomorrow and Mrs Moon had to dab away tears on the drive home.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Omg

I'm so sorry that happened to her.

Wishing her the best of luck for tomorrow. Sending hugs and love.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

I'm sure my kid could convince Ellie to go jump in puddles.
    I've now got gumboots for me in the back of the car for every possible occasion.
    It's only lightly raining here, but he still wanted gumboots this morning.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

B. Not fucking that.

"What?? I knew you'd like it!! Hurr hurr"

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

I'm sure my kid could convince Ellie to go jump in puddles.
    I've now got gumboots for me in the back of the car for every possible occasion.
    It's only lightly raining here, but he still wanted gumboots this morning.

Ellie is very convinced that we cannot go out for walks because we will run into other people and could get sick.

We cannot go out to walk into level 2 and she can go back to school.

Luckily we have a large deck and a large yard, but still.

There some damage being done.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Yeah.
    It is pretty hard telling my guy that he can no longer steal other people's soccer balls because they might be sick.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Not two months ago my wife was complaining that she always gets sick when the little one is sick while I get by relatively unscathed.
    Cut to now where I now have my second cold in a month with a sinusitis in-between always a few days lagging after the little one. I do not like this at all.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

B. Not fucking that.

Obviously B but...

What's B-Dubs?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Buffalo Wild Wings

• Options
    Oh.

huh.. yeah, that's not great!

When you could instead say "hey, we know you're not going to be doing any lifting the next couple weeks, what chores can we help with?"

• Options
    edited September 2021
    So the nursery has told us that the positive Covid case was in the pre school room (the oldest kids are in here).

However they won't tell us when the positive kid was last in that room due to confidentiality....

My son has breakfast every morning with the pre school room and does spend some afternoons in there.

So we have no idea if he's been exposed or not.

My wife was behind a parent of a kid from the pre school room at drop off this morning. They wouldn't even tell her if her son had been in contact with the positive kid....

SharpyVII on
  • Options

I'm sure none of you will be surprised that that's my dad.

Surgery went well and Mrs Moon is just shaking off the anesthesia and some nausea. Really hoping Athena handles bedtime ok without her there.

She always wants mom for the getting ready and tucking in, and then I get summoned just for the last part to give her tickles/goosebumps before she closes her eyes.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That moustache is the best. Solid work from that grandad

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    So the nursery has told us that the positive Covid case was in the pre school room (the oldest kids are in here).

However they won't tell us when the positive kid was last in that room due to confidentiality....

My son has breakfast every morning with the pre school room and does spend some afternoons in there.

My wife was behind a parent of a kid from the pre school room at drop off this morning. They wouldn't even tell her if her son had been in contact with the positive kid....

That's such bullshit. When my daughter was exposed last week they told us that it was on Tuesday in her classroom. Won't tell us which student of course, and that's fine, but knowing when and where is important for contact tracing.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That's such bullshit. When my daughter was exposed last week they told us that it was on Tuesday in her classroom. Won't tell us which student of course, and that's fine, but knowing when and where is important for contact tracing.

Same. In one case we had randomly had her out and they hadn't looked carefully, so there was no exposure!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    DaMoon's dad is Wilford Brimley???