As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    @m!ttens @BladeX and anyone else playing / interested in Last Epoch...

I decided to go ahead with making a thread in honor of the update tomorrow

Lol I was starting to put together an OP as well to post when it went live. Anyone here, get Last Epoch, it's good!

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Oop! If you want to send me any of what you had or have suggestions, I’ll gladly incorporate them.

I’m currently feeling kind of glad that D3 seasons have grown long; between this, D2R, poe, and ps5 I’ve not finished up the ethereals nor journey.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    After the Darkest Dungeon Debacle I stay farrrrrrr away from Early Access games

Looks fun though

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    What happened with Darkest Dungeon? I heard it was a good game and at one point bought it on some ludicrous Steam sale for like 90% off, but haven't yet gotten around to playing it m

steam_sig.png
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    What happened with Darkest Dungeon? I heard it was a good game and at one point bought it on some ludicrous Steam sale for like 90% off, but haven't yet gotten around to playing it m

Super short version is the fun game that debuted in Early Access was murdered on the march towards the full release.

They continually tweaked it to make it harder and more unforgiving. It made Early Access a slog as the game kept shedding the things I was enjoying. The full release wasn't the worst, but the devs just kept at it for a year+ afterwards tuning all the fun out of it.

If you own it and never played then I imagine Darkest Dungeon can be fun and appealing. But I can't go back to it. And I can't imagine ever wanting to be part of the beta process again

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Super short version is the fun game that debuted in Early Access was murdered on the march towards the full release.

They continually tweaked it to make it harder and more unforgiving. It made Early Access a slog as the game kept shedding the things I was enjoying. The full release wasn't the worst, but the devs just kept at it for a year+ afterwards tuning all the fun out of it.

If you own it and never played then I imagine Darkest Dungeon can be fun and appealing. But I can't go back to it. And I can't imagine ever wanting to be part of the beta process again

I just looked into what is happening with the sequel, and it sounds like they are doing something pretty different.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Just did this past weeks D3 challenge rift; that built was blatantly a pre-revamp Rathma build.

It gained absolutely nothing from current Rathma. Didn't even have AotD or Revive. It relied entirely on the damage bonus from Jesseth's set. Yes, I guess technically, it would have reduced the cooldown of LotD , but the build doesn't benefit from LotD (EDIT: Because you're not getting the DPS from the skeleton mages being out, from the old 6pc) so...:rotate:

I mean it's doable, it's just dumb. And more evidence that they just have some algorithm pick the weekly challenges and no one really looks at it before hand.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    New post with some updates on console lobbies and justifications on the removal of TCP/IP: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/diablo-ii-resurrected-console-lobbies-tcpip-uw-updates/44360/1

I'm discouraged by this blurb on modding:
    Despite this change, a form of modding will still be possible. Players will have the ability to modify specific files which include adjusting values of skills, items, and more. However, keep in mind the Classic client of Diablo II will still exist and that is not going away. Multiplayer mods will still be able to exist and thrive on that platform by our community there.

That doesn't sound like an actual modding framework - I interpret it to mean that there's no scripting. It sounds like it'll only be possible to modify the database values, so you'll have singleplayer "mods" to rebalance skill numbers and make self-found loot more common etc, but I doubt they'll have an allowance for any real gameplay changes like adding a charm inventory. That's better than nothing but it's not enough to bring the gameplay up to parity with modern ARPGs which is disappointing.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't buy it expecting a bunch of modern QoL changes or mods to do the same. It's possible, but buy it if you like ye olde Diablo 2 with fancy graphics. Fortunately there are tons of people who do, and I'm excited for it!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I think I'm out. It will be exciting to run through once more with everything refurbished and updated graphically, but I think I would get burnt out sooner rather than later. This post pretty much confirms that Project D2 will probably stay on the old client and never come to the new client since the tools simply aren't there.

Then again, never say never. I'll wait til after release and see what happens then.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    They haven't completely ruled out things like balance changes and QoL improvements post launch, so I think I'm going to hold off and wait to see what their development plans are. I hope the community is vocal in their desire for the changes that were made in the mods so they might do at least some of it themselves.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't buy it expecting a bunch of modern QoL changes or mods to do the same. It's possible, but buy it if you like ye olde Diablo 2 with fancy graphics. Fortunately there are tons of people who do, and I'm excited for it!

I'm so ready for this game.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I honestly wouldn't really expect that from the Diablo 2 people if you mean that.

The mods are pretty sweet! But they ultimately have a fraction of the player base of Diablo 2, today. Finding a Tristram run or Baal run in D2 today is super easy -- the games fill up quick! But not so in Path of Diablo, which is widely known and very free. There are a lot less players on any of the mods than just ye olde LoD on battle.net. I've been playing them all over the past couple of weeks.

steam_sig.png
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Is this actually coming out this month? Have heard like nothing since the lawsuit.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like an actual modding framework - I interpret it to mean that there's no scripting. It sounds like it'll only be possible to modify the database values, so you'll have singleplayer "mods" to rebalance skill numbers and make self-found loot more common etc, but I doubt they'll have an allowance for any real gameplay changes like adding a charm inventory. That's better than nothing but it's not enough to bring the gameplay up to parity with modern ARPGs which is disappointing.

This is true but if you've ever taken a look at all the crazy skills and mobs in Median XL, 95% of that is just messing with excel tables. 1.10 soft-coded a fair number of things to the point you can pretty much make your own skills. I'm not getting a vibe that Remastered is going to open up much of anything beyond classic though, in spite of whatever Blizz is saying, based on some people poking around the new files.

This also sounds like an indirect confirmation that open battle.net is out. Which pretty much leaves it up to see if people can adapt the existing private server to the new game, something which Blizzard will never acknowledge or condone, assuming they don't sue them out of existence too.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I mean, they already fleshed it out in diablo 2.
    ED! wrote: »
    Is this actually coming out this month? Have heard like nothing since the lawsuit.

Most definitely. There have been new youtube videos popping up giving introductions to the classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHIzBZQKhMM

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Become the Necromancer. Put all your skill points in Teeth. Be useless past Nightmare. :P

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Become the Necromancer. Put all your skill points in Teeth. Be useless past Nightmare. :P

"Apply Amplify Damage curse, then Corpse Explosion until everything stops moving" is a little less exciting to watch :biggrin:

It occurs to me that with my favorite Javazon build if you can actually see the screen instead of a mass of lightning bolts and poison clouds you're doing it wrong. I guess in town would be pretty? Oh and the Duriel+Prime Evil boss fights, what with there being no minions

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    going to need a name for a bone necromancer. thinking TheBoner

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I love all the rando builds you can do with D2. I look forward to trying everything out again.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    MrLlama on a punchbarb, after farming Hell Lk for an hour or 2 trying to find a Lem

He already called it a night when someone bets him 5 subs that it would drop on the next try. He's like "OK 5 free subs let's go".

and it actually drops.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I probably won't be able to resist to go necro first

all
    the
    skellies

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited September 2021
    in preparation of D2 resurrected i've started playng single player again a few months ago, then quit. Got back into it kinda seriously a week or 2 ago. I had done some serious LK farming last stint so i made a hammerdin while farming some LK on the side with my blizz sorc. To say i've been lucky with runedrops is putting it mildly.

In one week of playing after restarting I finally crafted my first ever Enigma, Grief and Heart of the oak! Now farming Hell meph for draculs grasp so i can do ubers.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    I recently finally crafted Insight for my merc

only to see that he's ~30 str short -.-

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

el_vicio wrote: »
    I probably won't be able to resist to go necro first

all
    the
    skellies

This was my initial thought, and may still be what I go with, but I think it could get a little rough later if I don’t find good merc gear.

Skeles and CE is just too satisfying though…

edited September 2021
    It's been a while, but untwinked skellymancer can run the entire game no problem afair

e: of course he's in my bookmarks
    BEHOLD

https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/fishymancer-final-version-updated-for-1-13.798047/

e2: (nightfish builds are the best)

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited September 2021
    Unique sacred armor...

could it be? (edit it was river of flame not chaos so no..it could not)

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    Hell ya, fishymancer was exactly the build I was thinking of! That was like the last thing I played before D3, and it was great.

And, my hesitation was because apparently I was mixing up the runeword requirements for Insight and Infinity. Huge difference.

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    So, anything happen in the world in the last two weeks?

I spun up d2 in prep and have played (or paid attention to) nothing else since. Man this game really does it well. I am tentatively really excited about d2r now, with my only reservation being about the community/economy/bots.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    edited September 2021
    Nice, my first Call to Arms ever rolled 4(3-6) to battle command and 6 (6-6) to Battle orders! And my Grief i made earlier rolled 298 (200-300)% ED.

Let me tell you that 1000 HP buff makes all the difference. Now i can finally run Nithlatak easily because i can tank archers and witches long enough to kill them in one go, eliminating the ranged dmg immediately.

Probably used up all my luck for D2R though.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I had to inform my wife that I’m going to play Diablo 2. She laughed and called me a nerd. But she doesn’t know.

Less than a week til D2 now!

Also, I finally got back on to work on the journey and ethereals. I used the puzzle ring trick and finished 4 classes in like an hour. Super cheesy.

Just the 3 WD and 2 necro items left. :razz:

Noggin wrote: »
    Less than a week til D2 now!

Also, I finally got back on to work on the journey and ethereals. I used the puzzle ring trick and finished 4 classes in like an hour. Super cheesy.

Just the 3 WD and 2 necro items left. :razz:
    Alright let’s take us some bets.

What are the chances that the Diablo 2 launch goes relatively smoothly (there is to be assumed a certain level of network congestion), but without any server crashes, or 50 minute waits to get on only to have the game freeze up midway through the que and drop you?

Keep in mind Blizzards record for day one’s.

My gut says a day one shitshow since that's Blizzard's forté, but then I have a naysaying voice inside that says this is $40 for what is essentially a game people have already had 20 years to play and get tired of (or even play today if they feel like it!). I'm not disputing that there won't still be a lot of people eager to play (we have quite a few in our little forum here!), but I'm trying to imagine if that number will be the sort of overwhelming force that brings down day/week one servers like D3 did back in 2012.

I suppose the main difference is this is the first time D2 will be playable on console. I assume console and PC servers will be segregated in some fashion, though?

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    It does not have cross-play, but weirdly it does have cross-progression. So its relying on the same servers for saving online characters across all platforms.

rahkeesh2000 on
    forty wrote: »
    My gut says a day one shitshow since that's Blizzard's forté, but then I have a naysaying voice inside that says this is $40 for what is essentially a game people have already had 20 years to play and get tired of (or even play today if they feel like it!). I'm not disputing that there won't still be a lot of people eager to play (we have quite a few in our little forum here!), but I'm trying to imagine if that number will be the sort of overwhelming force that brings down day/week one servers like D3 did back in 2012.

I suppose the main difference is this is the first time D2 will be playable on console. I assume console and PC servers will be segregated in some fashion, though?
    My gut said the same, However apparently WoW classic was a day 1 shit show. And thus the debate.

It does not have cross-play, but weirdly it does have cross-progression. So its relying on the same servers for saving online characters across all platforms.

It's the same D2 under the hood, the amount of data transfered between you and the servers should be incredibly tiny

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It's mostly the same gameplay wise. The backend systems are far far different now.

Ringo wrote: »

It's the same D2 under the hood, the amount of data transfered between you and the servers should be incredibly tiny
    I can't imagine there's much data transferred during Hearthstone matches and yet that game runs like ass and disconnects me regularly.

This discussion has been closed.