As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Maybe instead of attacking his label (Trudeau being feminist) we should focus on actions (attacking what he’s done that is anti-feminist).

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    I don't think the "some of my best friends are women" argument stands relative to someone questioning your feminist creds personally.

So what exactly qualifies? He's put more women in positions of power than any PM in history....

Well, actually being a feminist would be a good start...

What does it mean to be a feminist, in your opinion?

I already said I wasn't going to do that.

Do you think Justin Trudeau is a feminist?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don't think the "some of my best friends are women" argument stands relative to someone questioning your feminist creds personally.

So what exactly qualifies? He's put more women in positions of power than any PM in history....

You are literally the one that brought the "feminism" issue up. So clearly you have some sort of bar you feel he's not meeting. So why not tell us how Trudeau is not reaching it.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

I am truly not being snarky or trying to pick a fight .... Pick a lane?

You brought up that he's not a feminist and now don't want to define what is and is not one.... One of these statements can be true at a time.

Can he do more? Certainly.

This is true of literally any male on planet earth I would think, myself 100% included and I do consider myself a feminist.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    edited September 2021
    shryke wrote: »

You are literally the one that brought the "feminism" issue up. So clearly you have some sort of bar you feel he's not meeting. So why not tell us how Trudeau is not reaching it.

By highlighting that it was something Annamie Paul literally said in the debate, yes. She said it and I agree with her. I didn't give her the talking point.
    Coupled with how a lot of women have been treated inside the Liberal party, yes, I am inclined to agree with Annamie Paul that Trudeau's actions don't really match that of a feminist.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

By highlighting that it was something Annamie Paul literally said in the debate, yes. She said it and I agree with her. I didn't give her the talking point.
    Coupled with how a lot of women have been treated inside the Liberal party, yes, I am inclined to agree with Annamie Paul that Trudeau's actions don't really match that of a feminist.

i think the thing people aren't understanding here is why do yo agree with her on this point

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Big red flags to me around SNC Lavalin/JWR/Jane Philpott and what happened with Robyn Ingraham (provincially) out east here amongst other things.
    I know the JWR thing is a whole can of worms but it has never sat right with me. The recommendations around reconciliation not being moved an inch - particularly as it relates to missing and murdered indigenous women and girls, etc.

I don't think Trudeau is anti-feminist. I just think he's pretty well full of shit in grand-standing and labeling himself a strong feminist.

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    J'ai voté!

Had a single person in front of me. Was the youngest in the polling station by at least 20 yrs.

I'll just say this : I am hoping it will be a minority. None of these bozos deserve the power that comes with a majority governement.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    J'ai voté!

Had a single person in front of me. Was the youngest in the polling station by at least 20 yrs.

I'll just say this : I am hoping it will be a minority. None of these bozos deserve the power that comes with a majority governement.
    I think I honestly just don't believe in majority governments as a concept? I haven't wanted one for as long as I can recall in my adult life ...

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    No time like the present! Go vote!

Once again my advance poll location is way more convenient than the Election Day one (1.3km vs 4.5). Went last night at 7:30 and it was pretty much empty.

Also passed a house with one NDP and one PPC sign... not sure if it's a confirmation of horseshoe theory or just some really awkward family dinners.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    got our voting done today, the polling location was pretty much empty so that suited us just fine.

steam_sig.png
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    What is the logic behind Quebec's Premier endorsing O'Toole for a minority?

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

Right wingers like right wing policies. Legault is basically a competent Ford or Kenney. Which is not a compliment.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular

Legault's dislike of Trudeau personally is well-known (in 2019 his wife mocked Trudeau in the media). In addition, Legault's vanity project is a useless $10B tunnel between a CAQ riding in Quebec City and a CAQ riding in Levis, and he demanded $4B from Canada to do it. The Liberals said no, the CPC said yes.

sig.gif
    FWIW, the reaction to Legault's announcement so far seems to be a mix of "WTF" and "don't tell us who to vote for". Which is surprising given how insanely popular the CAQ is right now. It seems Legault may have overestimated the strength of his position.

Of course this being the least interesting election in recent memory doesn't help. Even Legault's announcement isn't enough to make people care about it.

sig.gif
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Did the early vote, no sticker, but no line either :D

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I think Trudeau wants to do right by women, but when SNC Lavalin happened, he wasn't going to let the party get torpedoed. It's hypocritical, but that seems to be part and parcel of being a politician anymore. I see she has her revenge book out now though. Doesn't seem to be working, Liberals are climbing and the Cons are declining.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I think Trudeau wants to do right by women, but when SNC Lavalin happened, he wasn't going to let the party get torpedoed. It's hypocritical, but that seems to be part and parcel of being a politician anymore. I see she has her revenge book out now though. Doesn't seem to be working, Liberals are climbing and the Cons are declining.

Given it seems the NDP never had a chance let's hope the Liberals' recovery in the polls isn't too little too late.

+2 for the Libs. There was no lineup at the advanced voting place, but a steady stream of individual after individual.

sig.gif
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I didn't expect the last debate would have such an effect on polling. The CPC has a sharp sudden drop and the PPC get a sharp bump. It's like a bunch of far right voters saw O'Toole not cater to them in the debate, call him out as a centrist moderate and decide they will vote for Maxime.

My polling place was very busy this weekend and I also noticed that I was 20 years younger than everybody there.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    I didn't expect the last debate would have such an effect on polling. The CPC has a sharp sudden drop and the PPC get a sharp bump. It's like a bunch of far right voters saw O'Toole not cater to them in the debate, call him out as a centrist moderate and decide they will vote for Maxime.

My polling place was very busy this weekend and I also noticed that I was 20 years younger than everybody there.

That both makes me happy for the Con vote to get split and also concerned as the PPC is just total DERP.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    darkmayo wrote: »

That both makes me happy for the Con vote to get split and also concerned as the PPC is just total DERP.

Those voters already existed. They used to vote Reform, before that party ate the Progressive Conservative party and started wearing its skin.
    They are still not numerous enough to be a major influence, but they are no longer happy to hide and want direct, obvious pandering.

So I'm not that concerned by the rise of the PPC. It's only the right splitting again, like in the '90s. I'm honestly more concerned about the success of the CPC, since it looks like they are still the default alternative to the LPC in most of the country (in Québec, it's the BQ, sadly) even if most of the country disagree with most of their ideology, to the point where O'Toole has to believe in everything his party opposes and opposes everything his party stand for.

+2 votes for the Miss and I this weekend. The polling place was surprisingly busy for a Sunday afternoon.

My riding in conservative Calgary may flip red with the liberal candidate (who I quite like) ahead in the polls. Every vote counts!

mrondeau wrote: »

Those voters already existed. They used to vote Reform, before that party ate the Progressive Conservative party and started wearing its skin.
    They are still not numerous enough to be a major influence, but they are no longer happy to hide and want direct, obvious pandering.

So I'm not that concerned by the rise of the PPC. It's only the right splitting again, like in the '90s. I'm honestly more concerned about the success of the CPC, since it looks like they are still the default alternative to the LPC in most of the country (in Québec, it's the BQ, sadly) even if most of the country disagree with most of their ideology, to the point where O'Toole has to believe in everything his party opposes and opposes everything his party stand for.

I'll take the BQ over the CPC any day.

sig.gif

Me too, but the NDP is a better fit in a big part of the province.

Sure but that option only exists for QC.

The rest of us don't have a "only slightly" fascist party to vote for

In Layton's era, sure. His center-left-wing soft-federalism ideas resonated a lot in the province (and his natural charisma certainly helped). Hence the orange wave.

Sadly Singh is taking the party in a different direction, a much more top-down Ottawa-knows-best direction. That's costing him dearly here.

The fact the NDP failed to capitalize on the 2011 results in any way is a great disappointment.

sig.gif
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

In Layton's era, sure. His center-left-wing soft-federalism ideas resonated a lot in the province (and his natural charisma certainly helped). Hence the orange wave.

Sadly Singh is taking the party in a different direction, a much more top-down Ottawa-knows-best direction. That's costing him dearly here.

The fact the NDP failed to capitalize on the 2011 results in any way is a great disappointment.

I would suggest it's simpler then that. I think it's probably that the NDP only get real bumps by basically acting as the "I don't wanna vote Liberal because X and I can't ever vote for the Cons" overflow bucket. As long as the Liberals are Good Enough, which is basically Trudeau's party's main selling point, there's no reason for a lot of voters to go NDP.

shryke on
    edited September 2021

That's the thing: Singh wants to do good things, that Québec want and need. The BQ wants to do... nothing, because they want the Federal government to do nothing.
    Also, it's not as if Ottawa-knows-best is different from Ville-de-Québec-Veut-Seulement-Ton-Bien. At least Ottawa is not actively hostile to Montréal.

Unrelated:
    Did the early vote, no sticker, but no line either :D
    Instead of pointless stickers, we had gloriously pointy democracy pencils when I voted Sunday. Much better.

mrondeau on
    a week left til voting day and I still haven't seen eff all for NDP signage here in Calgary. Its a bit weird considering they are the official opposition here in Alberta but my guess is its strategic. I think they don't think they would see many gains in the province and don't want to split the votes that would potentially go to the more reasonable (in theory) Liberal party, and to save their coin and goodwill for the provincial battle as Jason Kenney fails daily.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Sign theft is absolutely bonkers around here lately (always aimed at particular parties - hmmm.jpg) so I've given up assuming peoples' lawns are giving me any indication of how much support the local candidates have.

Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Sign theft is absolutely bonkers around here lately (always aimed at particular parties - hmmm.jpg) so I've given up assuming peoples' lawns are giving me any indication of how much support the local candidates have.

Back in 2015 the Green candidate where i lived actually paid people to put his sign on their lawns. So yeah, lawn signs are not a good indicator of support.

sig.gif
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'm less concerned about the riding here in Yellowknife than I was before, because the Conservative candidate lives in Ontario, refuses to come here, and declines any interview requests or debate invites. They're basically a non-entity.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I'm less concerned about the riding here in Yellowknife than I was before, because the Conservative candidate lives in Ontario, refuses to come here, and declines any interview requests or debate invites. They're basically a non-entity.

Is this solely so the CPC can say it's running in each riding? Cause that's really low effort for that candidate.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Maybe its sign theft but i'm in pretty lefty areas in Calgary, Bridgeland/Inglewood we had tons of signs before when Notely was running last election

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I voted by mail and didn't get a sticker, this is bullshit!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I'm a bit curious if you've noticed a difference between the federal and provincial elections in this regard? I know at least a few trans folk who have openly admitted to removing PPC signs (publicly placed ones AFAIK - not from lawns), but during the provincial election the NDP door-knockers I spoke with said they'd been having a lot of problems with Tyler's signs getting stolen.
    For my part I never noticed any go missing from any party, but it's nice of a few folks to identify themselves as pro-PPC and ensure I won't be introducing myself. >_>

Aegis wrote: »

Is this solely so the CPC can say it's running in each riding? Cause that's really low effort for that candidate.
    Bad move if it is, since there was never a replacement for our local candidate who withdrew. :P

ArcticLancer on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I voted by mail and didn't get a sticker, this is bullshit!

I don't think I've ever seen a sticker? Certainly not anywhere I've voted

• HadesHades Registered User regular
    I've only gotten a sticker for municipal elections. Got a pencil from advance voting though.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

To make that even sillier: she hasn't been declining to do interviews, she's been forbidden to do interviews.
    I'm a bit curious if you've noticed a difference between the federal and provincial elections in this regard? I know at least a few trans folk who have openly admitted to removing PPC signs (publicly placed ones AFAIK - not from lawns), but during the provincial election the NDP door-knockers I spoke with said they'd been having a lot of problems with Tyler's signs getting stolen.
    For my part I never noticed any go missing from any party, but it's nice of a few folks to identify themselves as pro-PPC and ensure I won't be introducing myself. >_>

I noticed a few wandering off in the provincial election (though it might have been wind and the like). People generally seem to respect lawn signs. At least in my neighborhood and surrounding areas it's always seemed much more aggressive in federal elections, and in the last couple has seemed to be mainly coming from parties nearer to the ultraviolet end of the spectrum. (They also liked doing sketchy stuff at the other end, like surrounding polling places with hundreds of their signs..)

This discussion has been closed.