As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [Fashion] thread. Quite stylish.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It has probably been a decade at least since I've had to look for a watch, my old ones just kept truckin' along, but I went to get the battery replaced on my every day watch and found out that the whole mechanism's shot. It's not nice enough to replace it and I'm looking forward to getting a new one but holy heckin dang are men's watches expensive. How did nobody tell me?!

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    spm22pnpbgcp.jpg

One of my favorite outfits recently.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    It has probably been a decade at least since I've had to look for a watch, my old ones just kept truckin' along, but I went to get the battery replaced on my every day watch and found out that the whole mechanism's shot. It's not nice enough to replace it and I'm looking forward to getting a new one but holy heckin dang are men's watches expensive. How did nobody tell me?!
    Collector's market has really blown up in the last few years, I think.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

What's your budget?

And what watch finally went to watch heaven?

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

What's your budget?

I mean I'd love to spend under $100 for something I'm going to wear every day just because I bang it around and wear it hard. I had to say goodbye to an old Fossil analog, nothing special but reliable. I knew that watches were A Thing and that the upper end was infinite money but I didn't realize that the floor had come up to the point that it seems to have. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Here's a few, I really like Seiko
    SEIKO Men's SNK809 SEIKO 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Black Canvas Strap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SSUQFG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ZC9XNDR9SXW1XTQSGQ1N

SEIKO Men's SNK789 SEIKO 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with White Dial https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018N0HL0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_D0S2908G6WHC48P781FF

SEIKO Men's SNK807 SEIKO 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Blue Canvas Band https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CHML4I/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_7WEPST3AB1G3H6365ZQT

Seiko Men's SNE047 Two-Tone Solar Black Dial Watch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004400O2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_JPZ2GVY3GY1SH9ZJNFSG

SEIKO Men's SNK795 SEIKO 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Black Dial https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058VJWTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HX3BR14EQZBDM923T0G7

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My favorite watch company is extremely bullshit pretentious artsy stuff, but I'll shill for 'em here just in case: https://projectswatches.com/

They tend to run around ~$150, this is the one I have:

pmeer9qjmktj.png

Depending on how practical you want your watch to be they might not work so much, but I'm more about watches as a piece of jewelry than anything else

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Here's a few, I really like Seiko
    SEIKO Men's SNK809 SEIKO 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Black Canvas Strap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SSUQFG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ZC9XNDR9SXW1XTQSGQ1N

SEIKO Men's SNK789 SEIKO 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with White Dial https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018N0HL0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_D0S2908G6WHC48P781FF

SEIKO Men's SNK807 SEIKO 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Blue Canvas Band https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CHML4I/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_7WEPST3AB1G3H6365ZQT

Seiko Men's SNE047 Two-Tone Solar Black Dial Watch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004400O2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_JPZ2GVY3GY1SH9ZJNFSG

SEIKO Men's SNK795 SEIKO 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Black Dial https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058VJWTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HX3BR14EQZBDM923T0G7

Another solid Japanese brand is Orient, they used to be hella affordable but they've crept up a bit over the last decade as they've gotten more popular. They are generally sporty and kind of analogous to the low-to-mid tier Seikos.

Invicta makes an okay Submariner homage (search for Invicta model 8926) that regularly sells for $60-80 but I wouldn't touch most of their other stuff as it's either way too big and/or gawdy for my tastes. The band it comes with is garbage but I put mine on a black nylon NATO strap and it fits right in for a casual sport-watch.

@Peen can you narrow in on what you're looking for? Are you looking for something rugged like a dive watch, a durable task-specific look/functionality like a field watch or pilot's watch, a casual sports watch, a dressy watch you can wear with a suit, etc.?

• Options
    I think casual sports watch is the right term; I don't need rugged or task specific, I work at a library so I'm hardly exposing it to harsh elements, but I do work with my hands a lot so something dressy enough to wear with a suit isn't usually appropriate. Honestly those Projects watches that Straightzi linked slap pretty hard so now I'm revising my internal budget a bit because now I want one of them. Other suggestions would still be great though!

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I think casual sports watch is the right term; I don't need rugged or task specific, I work at a library so I'm hardly exposing it to harsh elements, but I do work with my hands a lot so something dressy enough to wear with a suit isn't usually appropriate. Honestly those Projects watches that Straightzi linked slap pretty hard so now I'm revising my internal budget a bit because now I want one of them. Other suggestions would still be great though!

If you have a Costco membership you can grab this pretty neat looking Timex automatic on a mesh strap. I looked at one in the display case but didn't get my hands on it. It uses a Citizen Miyota movement which is nothing fancy but a reliable workhorse. $200 https://www.costco.com/timex-marlin-black-dial-stainless-steel-automatic-men's-watch.product.100775290.html

This Reddit thread has a pretty good selection of stuff in and around your price range. Other brands to look into are Bulova, Citizen, Tissot, though only their quartz offerings will be in your budget. My wife likes the Scandinavian styling on Skagen though they lean more towards the fashion side than durable/timeless.

I have too many watches, and ever since pandemic lockdown I've just worn a Garmin fitness watch while everything else just sits in a drawer! No need to look cool when I wear shorts and a tshirt to work every day. :biggrin:

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

If you're looking at those make sure you check the animations section, which often has real time and sped up animations of each watch so you can get a sense of what it actually looks like as it moves (which can often be fairly irregular)

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Cost effective casual sport watches are a segment well served by the Casio G-Shock series. They're usually pretty rugged and last a long time.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Karl wrote: »

What's your budget?

I mean I'd love to spend under $100 for something I'm going to wear every day just because I bang it around and wear it hard. I had to say goodbye to an old Fossil analog, nothing special but reliable. I knew that watches were A Thing and that the upper end was infinite money but I didn't realize that the floor had come up to the point that it seems to have. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Another vote for a G Shock.

I've got a few watches but my G Shock is my go to "will not fail" watch.

If you're ever going to own just one watch, get a G shock. Ideally solar powered if possible.

EDIT: Get a GW-M5610-1ER

Karl on
  • Options
    The old school Seiko 5's are a gateway to watch collecting so maybe avoid that gateway drug.

I'm speaking from experience here.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I want a shinola runwell automatic, but I don't really have the kind of lifestyle for fancy watch wearing.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I want a rolex explorer but good lord it would live in my sock drawer because I'd be too afraid to wear it.

I reccomend everyone looks at microbands since seiko have started to push their prices up.

I picked this up:

Atlantic' Dive Watch (40mm) | Seal Black-Rotate North

Excellent watch.

My go to field watch is a Seiko snzg15j1 because the new seiko 5's are very expensive and they don't even give you sapphire glass, the cheap bastards.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    21t1kzv3rn8s.jpg

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Watches (and watch accessories) have been my pandemic splurge.

They're an incredibly expensive and ultimately quite mundane rabbit hole to fall down!

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Fashion thread, I am having a fashion emergency!

I'm getting married in 2 months and my fiancee is fashionable and beautiful (and a million other good things, but this being the fashion thread, I'll stick to those things), and I am color blind and permanently in the grunge phase of 1991!

Her dress is thus (we have both been married before so we're not doing the whole don't see the dress before the wedding thing or whatever the custom is):
    pzidw662saoh.jpg

My suit (which I feel personally is gray, though I have been told in no uncertain terms that is actually more green than gray) coat is here:
    28jjcurus4vj.jpg

qrmj9hn9moui.jpg

The maid (man?) of honor wants to wear this admittedly awesome shirt that I'd like to match:
    b7n4ion0695a.jpg

My ultimate goal is to get four suits that will match the dress and the shirt at least. I'd rather not have to buy a fourth suit jacket, but I guess I will if I have to. I've looked at kohls and mens warehouse and they don't have much of a selection. Anywhere that has a great selection is also out of my price range =(

The suits are for me (41 and of middling weight), my oldest son (16 and a bean pole), my youngest son (11 and of average build), and my fiancee's oldest (22 and slightly taller than my 11 year old). I only mention their ages and builds because since it appears I'll need to order online, I'd love a place that I can buy them all from at once.

I thought I could waltz into a department store and knock this out but I was very wrong =(

I will edit in pictures in a second

edit: also, black shoes?

edit2: also also, I don't need to match the pattern on the shirt, just the sort of cream color (I guess you'd call it?)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    You could make it easier by instead of matching suits just matching accessoires. Blue ties for example that fit with the dress.

black shoes are more formal than brown shoes. depends on what you want. Americans often say otherwise but black shoes also match well with blue suits, not just grey and black.

• Options
    we'll definitely match accessories =)

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Is renting a possibility?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Platy wrote: »
    Is renting a possibility?

I'm not sure to be honest

I would have thought so, but looking at the limited availability at my local store, the only way I could see it being possible is if they shipped them there from somewhere else. I'll have to ask them if that's something they do

edit: I called both my local mens warehouse and jos a banks and they basically told me good luck .... apparently all of their suits are made across seas and they're running on empty (for purposes of 4 matching suits)

wheeeeeeeeee

Xaquin on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I don't ever get all dolled up anymore but I have a shirt I really like so I decided fuck it I'm getting dolled up. The occasion?

Going to go get a cup of coffee.
    q2kyqvl59njj.jpg

The downside of the shirt is its too balloony at the waist, which is a common problem I have with shirts? So I gotta keep it tucked in, which is fine, but it constantly tries to untuck itself. Also a problem I have with shirts. I have shirt stays but they're a real pain to use, and I've kinda quit using them.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Sounds like you need some shirt stays. Plus it allows for a fun lingerie reveal for your partner.

I don't have a magnificent enough beard to pull them off, but maybe you can.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    You need a beard for... shirt stays?

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    You need a beard for... shirt stays?

you ever see Billy Gibbons with an untucked shirt?

nope

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    has anyone ever told you you have incredible biceps jugs

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Huh.

Not sure I really understood shirt stays until today.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ in a sidecar, Juggs, you gotta warn a person :whistle:

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I don't ever get all dolled up anymore but I have a shirt I really like so I decided fuck it I'm getting dolled up. The occasion?

Going to go get a cup of coffee.
    q2kyqvl59njj.jpg

The downside of the shirt is its too balloony at the waist, which is a common problem I have with shirts? So I gotta keep it tucked in, which is fine, but it constantly tries to untuck itself. Also a problem I have with shirts. I have shirt stays but they're a real pain to use, and I've kinda quit using them.

Just gotta change to high waisted pants. It's the fashion of the future after all.

df22ba0036a51be4cba0684278f22dfa9d-26-her-07.h473.w710.jpg

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever seen Juggs and Veldrin in the same place at the same time?

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen Juggs and Veldrin in the same place at the same time?

Or Odin, if I recall...

• Options
    was looking for some plain white dress shirts at goodwill and found a charcoal cashmere top coat for $7

so I'm pretty happy about that!

xtnujcg4hguq.jpg

• Options
    One of the things I'd like to find before winter is a decent fitted over coat.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Are your shirt stays anchored to the thigh or the socks

mine are the latter but I was always curious how comfortable are the former

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I've got both. The thigh ones work a little better but I think I lost the sock ones pretty quick.

I'll break em out if I got some kinda fancy thing to do but that's not often.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    do you have to use thighhigh socks to use with shirt stays? I'm having trouble visualizing how that would work with ankle or calf length socks.
    e: huh nope I guess they're just reverse-suspenders you hide in your pants

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif