As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Painting exhibition a thread

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I have a 1, 0, and 00 in my Series 7's and I use my 1 considerably more than the others. I only use the very small ones for incredibly, incredibly small details where I want a tiny paint well. I've felt no need to buy expensive brushes bigger than a size 1.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I think the best brush advice I have heard was something like:

As long as you take care of a good brush, they all have the same sized tip.

So I have a Small Layer Brush, a Medium Layer Brush, some Large Dry Brushes, and then a size 0.25mm pen for pupils.

I have bought the detail and insane details brushes, but prefer the layer brush for holding a point and it’s body for holding more paint without drying up.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    A 0, 1 and 2 are all you need for most 28mm sized things. I mostly use my zero for faces, and when I need to see around the actual head of the brush for tight areas. Then a good set of makeup brushes for dry brushing, and maybe a cheap set of brushes for painting on varnishes, clear coats, glues and other weird things.

A good exacto knife and small set of files is also really nice. You can get away with some skinny nail files to start, or do like adam savage and glue different grits of sandpaper to tongue depressors.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited September 2021
    I airbrush my varnishes and clear coats which is another nice reason to have an airbrush. I use Vallejo Gloss and AK interactive matte, which are both ready to go through an airbrush out of the bottle.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Dark White wrote: »
    Excluding dry brushes, giant brushes, and like ultra-fine stuff. What size brushes would you recommend having on hand?

Edit: Should have refreshed before asking, I guess. Should I have a 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Or would like a 0, 2, and 4 suffice? NGL these Windsors are pricey.

I own a couple dozen brushes and I still paint nearly everything with a size 1 Windsor and Newton. Big belly for holding paint and a fine enough tip I can paint eye lenses with it.

Maybe grab a size 2 as well for your base colors just to slap paint on

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I read somewhere that the artificer series Games workshop brushes are just rebranded Windsor and Newton Sable brushes.. is there any truth to that? I'd like to replace my aging Windsor and Newton at some point but sourcing those in Canada blows.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I've never heard that, but I also wouldn't be shocked by it. Thankfully I have a local art store here in Portland where I can buy my W&N's.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm probably going in on those Duncan Rhodes paints for 15 because fuck you can never have too many paint colors right?

Anyway I did this last week
    g01x7asjfdw6.jpg

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I want to support Duncan and Roger in breakaway from GW, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on paints when I still have a ton of Citadel paint pots. I could definitely see myself slowly replacing my Citadel paints with their equivalents over time as my pots run out though.

I'm curious on their quality and viscosity compared to GW but I'm willing to take a chance on a few

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Who is Roger?
    In general other than branching out to army painter I will wait and see

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    This dreadnought was one of the first models I converted for my army, but I had him go through a bit of an upgrade. New gun, some backpack vents, and extended torso to make him contemptor sized (he used to be a chaplain dread)
    retromarines_contemptor_champ01.jpg
    retromarines_contemptor_champ02.jpg
    retromarines_contemptor_champ_turn.gif

And I also did up a unit of Servitors, which are the guys that win games of 9th edition. These were just some fun robots I had kicking around and wanted to paint forever. The Fallout Securitron and Brainbot are from Brother Vinni's minis (possible out of print now), and the two floaty bots are from Bombshell minis.
    retromarines_servitors01.jpg
    retromarines_servitors02.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I like that the dread is carrying his own canteen with him, should he ever need a refreshing sip of gas.

Brainleech wrote: »
    Who is Roger?
    In general other than branching out to army painter I will wait and see

My understanding is he was one of the guys who directed and assisted with a ton of GW video stuff

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I finally, finally got around to restructuring my vinegaroon's enclosure with the StarCraft Defiler Mound I made and painted ages ago. What it took was a sort-of-emergency rehouse situation that I don't need to get into.

I ended up basically using the nuclear option in the lookout for moisture-proof, animal-safe gloss finishing options and used Envirotex. It seems to work a charm and is, of course, a really pretty gloss coat.

Anyway this is a weird thread, maybe, to post this in, but when I first put up pictures, I was asked for photos of the finished result, and it has been gnawing at a very tiny part of my mind for basically ever.

I was out of cork bark to use for this build, so it's a little bit barebones, but I'll shoot out to a nice reptile store this weekend and get some more.
    6h7jg8r05qvv.jpg
    anfa7cgwj51y.jpg

Edit: Quick update - it's always very satisfying when a critter starts digging exactly where you were planning their burrow to be.

BloodySloth on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    b5dfx42u9bfd.jpeg

After like two weeks of fucking around I think I finally cracked the code.

Small bugs with normal weapons? Red, blue, purple

Small bugs with special weapons? Yellow, blue, orange

For bigger bugs I’ll delineate between close combat (red likely) and shooty (yellow)

Will also be helpful for when I’m running games with 100+ models on the table to quickly spot the special weapons

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    That's so damn smart! I'mma steal that when I eventually get around to painting up the tiny swarm I have kicking around.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Bigger post later but I'm wicked proud of these flame tokens I made for a much larger project that I wanna post photos of soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzyDYW7m1DU

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    It's been a bit since I posted, mainly because I've been fighting with getting good pics and spending money on trying to get a good light box set up. So here is a handful of new things I've finished and a group shot of my army so far.

First up, a Loonboss on a Squig!
    unknown.png
    unknown.png

Next my third Troggoth, with the trio in spoilers.
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png

Now for the full group shot!
    unknown.png

I need to get the lighting set up for my display cabinet fixed. Right now I only have one of the two large LED lights set up because the hole in the top of the Detolf is too small without being filed out a little bigger

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Finished up the rest of the Praetors for my Knights Tempest.

RACYbmB.jpg

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    edited September 2021
    OK so there's this Aliens board game from 1989 that, for a lot of fans, myself included, is the definitive Aliens game. The creatures are lethal, the decisions are hard, it lets you feel alternatively like a badass and like a bunch of fragile nerds waiting inevitable death... it's great, and feels very "Aliens" in a way other, more recent game adaptations have failed at (for me). It has been out of print since... well, 1989, or thereabouts, and the company that published it no longer exists, but the game has an active fan community and there are a bunch of various DIY boards out there.

Anyway I wanted to build my own copy, and I made a real rough version with scans of the official board, which originally just came printed on a glossy foldout poster. I wasn't happy with that, though, even though the game is still fun with simple components, so years and years ago I started working on a better, 3D version, like my Blood Bowl pitch.

It is now way too many years later, and the project has spun wildly out of control, but here we are! The board for the first scenario is done! The game can actually be played as a campaign, and there are a few official scenarios, a couple made by fans, and some that I'm partway through concocting. Those are all nearing completion, too, except for one enormous final board which I haven't even started. This scenario is the first and most beloved, though, and it is based on the first big action scene of the movie, where 9 of the characters are ambushed in the just-discovered hive, and are trying to retreat back to the APC which Ripley has just crashed through a wall.

qcoxlmoqytrb.jpg
    s88ewk7cop1p.jpg
    girgkem8pdqi.jpg
    ix2m5ecmolv2.jpg

More action shots of our first games on the board:
    hjo3ffrl4c6q.jpg
    jeu7akeyd0c9.jpg
    pfydh0jekxoa.jpg
    bo3vbyv2xlb3.jpg
    gjm4ra04l3rb.jpg
    0m3ce84uamqm.jpg
    bzfxl40l82yy.jpg
    ji0jipmsu4b3.jpg
    su1rlpdpqgj6.jpg
    qqm03kxi8dau.jpg
    03ivqrmdx25w.jpg

BloodySloth on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Game over, man. Game over!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    OMFG @BloodySloth that board is out of control awesome! I'd do bad, bad things to play games with that setup.

Care to share details about how you built it? And what's the specific Aliens game?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited September 2021
    Nips wrote: »
    OMFG @BloodySloth that board is out of control awesome! I'd do bad, bad things to play games with that setup.

Care to share details about how you built it? And what's the specific Aliens game?

For sure! The game is simply titled Aliens, by Leading Edge Games. It had one expansion that is also part of my ongoing project. They also released metal miniatures for the game which are something of a grail item for collectors, but I don't have any of my own.

The miniatures I used for the marines are cobbled together custom jobs made from resin parts provided by Mad Robot Miniatures, which is one of those third-party conversion bits producers. They're great. The bases for them are 3D printed from Kaer Rune on Etsy, and the name plates are 3D printed from Versatile Terrain. I put these together quite long ago, and if I had been more patient I could have gotten official minis from Gale Force 9 or something, but this game does include all of the characters in the movie, and IIRC there still aren't good minis for characters like Ferro, so I'm still happy with the route I took.

The APC and the Alien miniatures are from the (now defunct, I think?) Prodos AVP miniatures line. It really looks to me like Gale Force 9 is using at least some of their molds for their new Aliens game, for what it's worth. The bases for the aliens are just clear acrylic ones from Litko. I originally had the marines on clear bases, too, but I hate working with them and the nameplates looked kind of weird, so I opted for more traditional sculpted bases there. The APC's roof is magnetized on, which I did so I could futz with the paint job and the string lights that are coiled in there. I drilled a hole in the side of it to run the lights in, and (very carefully) drilled a hole through that lamp on the roof to run one of the LEDs up into that.

The board itself is a custom box made out of foamcore. It has a double-decker design so that I could fit the infinity mirror in the center which represents the stairwell. Infinity mirrors, it turns out, are actually really easy! The trick is getting the lighting in there, and obtaining the one-way mirror, which are not as cheap as I'd like. I actually think I over-engineered it a bit, which is fine. The rest of the space underneath the board is used for the battery packs for the string lights and plastic cases which hold all the miniatures and wooden cubes and stuff. The cardboard terrain is from Battle Systems; most of the specific line I used is one they stopped making semi-recently, which was a hassle for the other boards I need to make, but I'm handling it. I spiced it up with plastic terrain from Mantic, mostly, that I painted going off of some fantastic behind the scenes set photos that were taken with a flash camera, so the lighting was nicely color-neutral.

The hive goo I'm particularly happy with. The bulk of it is black Crayola Model Magic that I just globbed onto the terrain. Model Magic is an air-drying foam clay that you can get pretty cheaply. I made some mold stamps by getting bits of milliput and mooshing it onto an old Alien action figure I had, to get its various textures. Once the milliput stamps had set, I used them to stamp Alien texture all over the model magic. I also made prodigious use of ribbed cable hosing that I got from Home Depot. I used spare marine/warhammer bits to make colonist victims which I hid in the hive walls in various places.

After all that had set, I drybrushed it with Citadel Karak Stone paint, then a gloss coat, and then for the strands of clear resin, I used Shoe Goo, a shoe repair adhesive. It comes in a metal tube and is really stretchy and stringy, so you can just dot one spot with the tube, move to another spot, and there you have made a strand of goo. It's great.

All the numbers are just stencilled onto the board with paint that I then spot-finished to help prevent wear. I'm distracted now watching sumo but if I think of anything else I'll come back and mention it.

BloodySloth on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea that is fucking amazing. I hope you have a sound board rigged up with sound effects. With something that visually stunning it needs good sound to accompany it.

webguy20 wrote: »
    Yea that is fucking amazing. I hope you have a sound board rigged up with sound effects. With something that visually stunning it needs good sound to accompany it.

Mrs. Sloth actually suggested this, as well, but I hadn't really considered really doing it. Maybe it's something I have to look into!

webguy20 wrote: »

Mrs. Sloth actually suggested this, as well, but I hadn't really considered really doing it. Maybe it's something I have to look into!

There are so many iconic Aliens sounds that I think you'd have to.

edited September 2021
    An Aliens Soundboard on a browser on a tablet would probably do the job.

Amazing writeup on that build!

Nips on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So I have still been able to paint basically anything. My ribs can take lying down and work, but I can't sit still without shaking/movement for sufficient time to actually properly paint. I think I painted 1/3 of Belladamma before I couldn't manage the pain anymore.

Pro painting tip: Don't get broken ribs.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So I have still been able to paint basically anything. My ribs can take lying down and work, but I can't sit still without shaking/movement for sufficient time to actually properly paint. I think I painted 1/3 of Belladamma before I couldn't manage the pain anymore.

Pro painting tip: Don't get broken ribs.

I invented some very weird painting positions when my ankle was broken. Ribs sounds way worse though as the active limbs (arm) are way more closely positioned.

I just did a lot of hobbying from the floor of my apartment with my leg up on a coffee table.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Speaking of painting comfort.

I’ve been just using a kitchen table chair at an ikea desk with telescope legs, but have been thinking of upgrading to a gaming chair or executive office chair.

Anyone have recommendations?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    How about a robot body? This dude loves his:
    40owprnk31dv.jpeg

See, look at him, he’s all “I could stand like this all day and suffer no discomfort, am I not magnificent?”

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Don't trust the ads. Robot body quality is really shoddy. Dude's literally the only necron with good posture

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Don't trust the ads. Robot body quality is really shoddy. Dude's literally the only necron with good posture
    *Premium Ultra feature package shown. Availability of features may vary by region.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    honovere wrote: »

Only one is realistic with it's posture

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    It took a lot longer than I hoped, but I finally have done my sister's launch box + some extra stuff for a combat patrol
    7u8b95d8eckn.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited September 2021
    Ok I kind of messed up on doing the area math in my head as I bought a plano to store my paint
    3212929fwj7f.png
    sgdevkis4ad3.png
    It arrived today and it's far larger than I thought. It's 17" L x 16" W x 5"D that's more than enough to store my paint I thought thinking the one box I store half my paint in is about 14"L X 9"W X 5"D {it's very beat up and split}
    This is far larger than I thought nearly twice the size I would compare them {the old box of paint and the plano. The old box will far apart if I move it} as I really now think I did the math wrong in my head?

This is the large plano with one of the 3700 ones we usually store minis in
    lnz78xctvctj.png
    I really feel I did mess up or this is not what I thought the stated measurements were

Brainleech on
    Sounds like you have plenty of room to store basing materials too!

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    It took a lot longer than I hoped, but I finally have done my sister's launch box + some extra stuff for a combat patrol
    7u8b95d8eckn.jpg

Took me a couple readings before my brain would process this as Sister's and not sister's

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    So I emptied out the various places I had paint from the beat up box to on top of the table to the smaller box
    ay6ok4utlwoe.png
    With the plant stuff and skull packs it fills just a small area of the plano
    2 years ago I bought the legendary book how to paint Harlequins and two unlabeled paint bags from a book fair in a parking lot {I think it was clearing out a storage container as there was tons of other items besides books}
    The Lahmian Medium that was one of the two separated/settled
    1kd2fkl8a39c.png
    It was at the bottom of the other box so I feel because of the rather bad habit of contrast paints to separate/settle I feel I will have to get a someway to shake or mix them or try the stainless baring ball as I feel because of the random times I can paint when I feel like it {not wallowing in anhedonia it seems} so I don't have to spend a chunk of it shaking paints
    Still I need to organize the paints and then pick something to paint as the Melusai from DoK I started a couple of weeks ago still sit on my computer taunting me to finish

This discussion has been closed.