As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    DaMoon's dad is Wilford Brimley???

Apparently Wilford is 5'8" and my dad is 6'2" so he's Stretch Brimley

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    My wife is currently in Europe visiting family for 2 and half weeks.

I'm 1 week into it so far, and even with daycare I'm basically a zombie.

I was able to take Wednesday and onwards off, at least then I can day nap.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So the high school that my son goes to is no longer sending emails about positive COVID interactions.

On the other hand Kate’s kindergarten is sending an email almost daily that she’s been exposed.

I hate COVID. She’s finally not in the house with me 24/7 and yet I’m afraid that all this exposure is going to end up with her getting Covid.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    11.5 month old is cutting through his top front teeth, and fuck me last night was awful.

He got a canine tooth through on the top first and will probably still have Jack o lantern mouth by Halloween.

Also, as someone who had kids basically on the cusp of being middle aged, reminder to my fellow older parents of younger kids: Do not do the math of how old you’re be when your spawn will reach certain age, it just makes you tired in advance.
    I’ll be over 60 when the youngest finishes high school. 😬😬😬

:so_raven:
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Holy cow, she's getting so big! where'd the time go!?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Three months away from the big 4

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Three months away from the big 4

I just turned 40 and some of our friends have to. It seems to be primarily defined by how little you give a fuck about your age anymore.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    6th month checkup for the boy.

Weight 21lb 3oz 95th percentile
    Length 73.1 cm >99th percentile

I didn't know there was a >99th...

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Twenty one pounds at six months?!?!?!

Lol what the fuck bbq my three and a half year old weighs 27 lbs

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular

Oh there certainly is. If they start tracking BMI be prepared for your child to be "medically obese" by that measure. My 5 year old is >99th percentile in both height and weight and it completely breaks the BMI scale. It's a worthless measurement usually, but for children who are taller/heavier than their peers it's completely busted.

• Options

Welcome to Giant Baby Club.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My poor tiny wife is 105lb and has to carry around my monster children.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Bean's first day of preschool today!

He was desperate to break free of his mum's hand to get inside and play with the new toys, and he played happily with the other kids

Right up until circle time, where the structured group singing and reading made him freak out and scream enough that his mum heard and recognized him from outside.

They spent snack time together and by the time it was time to play outside he was right as rain. And all that within 90 minutes.

I'm cautiously optimistic?

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Our own huge tiny human (Giant Baby Club represent!) spent the hours of 21:00-23:15 screaming. Constantly. Because he is teething and sad.

Could we have given him Tylenol? Yes. Would that have stopped him having a dose at 23:15 when he was going to have a feed and sleep the rest of the night? Also yes.

Could we calm him in those two hours? We tried, and we could absolutely not.

But once we got him with the Tylenol for his last feed, he fell asleep immediately for the next 7-8 hours.

I need to write them a letter of congratulations.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My babies were chunky. Average height. Off the charts weight. I was a bit jealous of parents who could easily carry their kids..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Bean's first day of preschool today!

He was desperate to break free of his mum's hand to get inside and play with the new toys, and he played happily with the other kids

Right up until circle time, where the structured group singing and reading made him freak out and scream enough that his mum heard and recognized him from outside.

They spent snack time together and by the time it was time to play outside he was right as rain. And all that within 90 minutes.

I'm cautiously optimistic?

Sounds about right. Different rules, systems and authority figures take time to adapt to, but generally they figure it out.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Our own huge tiny human (Giant Baby Club represent!) spent the hours of 21:00-23:15 screaming. Constantly. Because he is teething and sad.

Could we have given him Tylenol? Yes. Would that have stopped him having a dose at 23:15 when he was going to have a feed and sleep the rest of the night? Also yes.

Could we calm him in those two hours? We tried, and we could absolutely not.

But once we got him with the Tylenol for his last feed, he fell asleep immediately for the next 7-8 hours.

I need to write them a letter of congratulations.

We alternated ibuprofen and Tylenol around the clock for like six months. I should have kept track of the total volume my daughter drank over that time.

• Options
    Alright, Athena had her first day of Tues Thurs PM preschool, off to a great start *email alert* aaaaaand a kid in the AM classes tested positive

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    As I've mentioned before, my youngest has Down Syndrome. Generally she's been very healthy since she was born, but a routine sleep study ordered by the Down Syndrome Clinic recently showed she has moderate to severe sleep apnea. This is just a known thing with Down Syndrome, hence the reason why it's a routine check every few years. The problem is now what to do about it. The clinic suggested removing the tonsils and adenoids because that usually the first choice, but when I went to her ENT doctor he seemed a bit reluctant and hesitant to recommend surgery. (He would be the one doing the tonsilectomy.) He mentioned her tonsil size isn't that big and wanted to know what I think. I had no idea so I just went with what the DS clinic recommended. But now I'm having doubts.

I know other treatments often involve CPAP or weight loss. My kid is skinny so weight loss is a non-starter, so that leaves the CPAP. Has anyone here had experience with CPAP? Do you think it could work on a kid? Or should I just accept that surgery is the way to go? I hate it when the doctors aren't much help.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My kid's always been smaller. Small for gestational age was the designation they gave him, and for the first year alone I could hold him in the crook of my elbow with room to spare. He was so small. He's bigger now, but his weight was a constant sticking point for a long time. His height, on the other hand, has been fine.

Which means that, much like me, he's going to probably be all knees and elbows for a while yet. :lol:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    As I've mentioned before, my youngest has Down Syndrome. Generally she's been very healthy since she was born, but a routine sleep study ordered by the Down Syndrome Clinic recently showed she has moderate to severe sleep apnea. This is just a known thing with Down Syndrome, hence the reason why it's a routine check every few years. The problem is now what to do about it. The clinic suggested removing the tonsils and adenoids because that usually the first choice, but when I went to her ENT doctor he seemed a bit reluctant and hesitant to recommend surgery. (He would be the one doing the tonsilectomy.) He mentioned her tonsil size isn't that big and wanted to know what I think. I had no idea so I just went with what the DS clinic recommended. But now I'm having doubts.

I know other treatments often involve CPAP or weight loss. My kid is skinny so weight loss is a non-starter, so that leaves the CPAP. Has anyone here had experience with CPAP? Do you think it could work on a kid? Or should I just accept that surgery is the way to go? I hate it when the doctors aren't much help.

@DisruptedCapitalist Do you think your kid would be able to get used to sleeping with something on their face? I have a full mask that covers my mouth and nose and the difference it makes when I wake up in the morning is huge, but my coworker who's skinny and still needs a CPAP just doesn't use his because he couldn't get over the sensation.

There are full masks like mine, but some are as simple as covering the nose.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

That's great, my daughter did an almost identical thing on an almost identical piece of equipment (her climby thing was more like 12" circular steps rotating up around a pole. She got to the top, turned around and did a big "TADA!"

• Options

Hi, I'm a CRNA who regularly provides anesthesia for children and a lot of children with developmental conditions.

There are a few things to consider.

1. How cooperative you think your daughter will be. Only you can make that guess. Some kids are more tolerant than others.
    2. Once you remove the tonsils, you're done. It's one very safe procedure over a longer period of time to try CPAP.
    3. If you had the tonsils removed up front and didn't have success with her apnea, then you could try CPAP. If you started with CPAP it may not work. You'd waste some time and then do tonsils anyway.

My personal and professional opinion would be to have the tonsils and adenoids removed now and see if you could bypass CPAP all together. Sure it's more invasive, but you don't run the risk of them continuing to grow and having them removed at a later date and you don't have to wrestle a kid into a CPAP mask.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Son is sick again, low fever and general crankiness.

Not as bad as a few weeks ago at least.

Will test him for Covid seeing as his nursery won't tell us anything about the positive case in there so we have to assume he's been in close contact.

When do kids stop getting sick every week?!?

Can't wait till he's at school and bringing home every bug under the sun.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My son has been acting like, for lack of a better term, an asshole the last two weeks. He fights to go to sleep, constantly opening his door and running around. At school, he's been loud and disrespectful, taking off his shoes, throwing tows, and screaming like everything is a game.

When I try and talk to him about it, he just makes loud screeching noises (thinking it's funny) and not responding to me. I'm getting stressed because I don't want his teachers dealing with this behavior. His sister left the preschool around the time this started up, but I'm not sure it's related. What's weirder is that prior to this, he was the sweetest and nicest boy. Now he's just in full on prick mode.

Any suggestions on actions/punishments to course correct the ship?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Guessing he’s upset about something (sister not being with him anymore?)

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Will test him for Covid seeing as his nursery won't tell us anything about the positive case in there so we have to assume he's been in close contact.

Generally speaking, if they’re getting sick at nursery/daycare, they will not get as sick when school starts. My MIL works in a primary school and she says you can always tell who went to daycare and who didn’t based on how often the kids get sick.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

Generally speaking, if they’re getting sick at nursery/daycare, they will not get as sick when school starts. My MIL works in a primary school and she says you can always tell who went to daycare and who didn’t based on how often the kids get sick.

Makes sense!

He's been such a good boy despite being really uncomfortable all day.

I have enjoyed the extra snuggles as he's usually too busy faffing to sit with me.

Hopefully he gets better soon, hate seeing him miserable.

My mother in law (some of you may remember her from when my son was born and how she was insulted that we wouldn't let her smoke in the house) has told my wife that she doesn't raise our son and nursery does it all because my wife chose to work.

So that was nice...

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

This

Honestly, this is the one thing that i can tell you with no irony that "it gets better".

And not even in the "it just gets different" but no, it does get better.

we had Ellie home sick *so much* the first 2 years of daycare, but now she's been *hugging a tree* rather healthy.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    My mother in law (some of you may remember her from when my son was born and how she was insulted that we wouldn't let her smoke in the house) has told my wife that she doesn't raise our son and nursery does it all because my wife chose to work.

So that was nice...

Tell her to eat shit

When she inevitably has a problem with that, tell her your parents raised you not to let some self-centered old bitch badmouth your wife and the mother of your child

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Hi, I'm a CRNA who regularly provides anesthesia for children and a lot of children with developmental conditions.

There are a few things to consider.

1. How cooperative you think your daughter will be. Only you can make that guess. Some kids are more tolerant than others.
    2. Once you remove the tonsils, you're done. It's one very safe procedure over a longer period of time to try CPAP.
    3. If you had the tonsils removed up front and didn't have success with her apnea, then you could try CPAP. If you started with CPAP it may not work. You'd waste some time and then do tonsils anyway.

My personal and professional opinion would be to have the tonsils and adenoids removed now and see if you could bypass CPAP all together. Sure it's more invasive, but you don't run the risk of them continuing to grow and having them removed at a later date and you don't have to wrestle a kid into a CPAP mask.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Spoke with the ENT again, and he seemed more firm this time, basically mentioning the same thing you and Moon did. I don't see her cooperating with a CPAP mask or even the nose thingy. He's generally been a very reliable doctor so it just threw me off that he was so reluctant at first, but I guess we're doing this now. Poor kid will have to be out of school for two weeks to avoid any chance of infection. Wait, did I say poor kid? I meant poor me!!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

This

Honestly, this is the one thing that i can tell you with no irony that "it gets better".

And not even in the "it just gets different" but no, it does get better.

we had Ellie home sick *so much* the first 2 years of daycare, but now she's been *hugging a tree* rather healthy.

I'm personally looking forward to that. This year's been a bit hard in that respect. Starting to get a bit tired of of the doctor'S recomendation to continue with the inhaler for 4 weeks after the last respiratory disease when there's never a period of 4 weeks until the next infection.

• Options
    Lol, the big kid has been in kindergarten for a week and he already stole something from class.

• Options
    Update on my son's behavior. He's getting worse now. Today he dumped over a box of crayons, took off his shoes and socks, scratched a teacher's face grabbing at her mask when she picked him up, and bit a different teacher when she tried to pick him up.

He's not angry when he does this stuff, but rather he thinks it's funny. When I try to reason with him, "why did you do that or apologize to your teacher", he just laughs and makes screaming noises (which he also thinks is funny). As I said before, this all started a few weeks ago.

The only things I can correlate with this behavior is his sister going to a different school now and him not taking naps at school as often during the day. His sister was always in a different class, so he didn't see her that much anyway. Sometimes he falls asleep on the car ride home, so the naps are definitely affecting him.

Or maybe this is just some terrible 3s asshole phase he's going through. Normally he's a really sweet kid. I'm stressed out now because this is a whole new thing and I don't want him to get kicked out of school.

Ugh...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    what are the consequences that he's facing for his behaviour changes?

you may need stronger ones to get the point across that what he's doing is unacceptable

• Options

you may need stronger ones to get the point across that what he's doing is unacceptable

Since this is fairly recent, and he hasn't shown a history of bad behavior, I've tried just talking to him. Sending him to his room hasn't netted much results, so we're thinking about much stiffer punishments. The problem is that he doesn't react to what we've tried so far.

The only breakdown, crying results happened when he refused to help his sister clean the play room. After she was done, I gave her ice cream as a reward and not him. I told him several times to help or he wouldn't get a treat.

Perhaps losing ice cream while his sister gets one is his kryptonite.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Since this is fairly recent, and he hasn't shown a history of bad behavior, I've tried just talking to him. Sending him to his room hasn't netted much results, so we're thinking about much stiffer punishments. The problem is that he doesn't react to what we've tried so far.

The only breakdown, crying results happened when he refused to help his sister clean the play room. After she was done, I gave her ice cream as a reward and not him. I told him several times to help or he wouldn't get a treat.

Perhaps losing ice cream while his sister gets one is his kryptonite.

imo, this is Time Out time.

Biting is unacceptable. Talk with him beforehand and explain that, explain what Time Outs are and why we do them (if you haven't yet) and what specific behavior will result in a Time Out, and then make sure the teachers are on board and willing to enforce this. (Waiting until he gets home to do a Time Out won't work, so this is something you're going to have to work with the teachers for to make sure it's consistent and immediate after he does something like biting).

I'd try focusing on just a couple of the more severe behavioral things for now, like the biting and scratching (depending on how deliberate the scratching was?). Then move onto other stuff like disruptive behavior and such (which can probably be handled not with Time Outs).

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah.

This is time out time.

I'm a strong believer that sending to a room isn't good, because their bedroom shouldn't be a place that they're afraid to go to.

I use my steps at home. Bottom step is 30 second, 2nd step is a minute, 3rd is a minute and half etc. She gets a warning that she is going to head there if she can't cool down.

If she gets off the bottom step, or continues with the screaming, she goes up a step, adding another 30 second. Usually we get to the 4th step, where there's much crying and screaming. But after 2 minutes, or she's calmed down enough, I sit with her and we talk about why her ass ended up there.

This has been our go to drive she was 2 and has been effective. Daycare did something similar with a quiet corner usually.

But yeah this is going to be hard.