As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell me about your experiences with Adderall

2

Posts

  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Guys, partially because of this thread I finally took the effort to find a doctor who could prescribe me ADD medications, and being medicated again made me realize how much ADD was affecting every area of my life without my realizing it. Even simple things like raking some leaves or putting up a painting on my wall have required from me a couple of weeks' mental preparation and an entire weekend to actually accomplish. Yesterday on my first day back on Adderall, I did some yard work, read the syllabus for my upcoming class and bought a textbook, put up a TV mount, wrote an hello email to my professor, did some mental planning and calculations for some bathroom work I want to do, and set up a time to meet a guy on craigslist who was selling some tile I wanted to use for said bathroom project. Prior to that I could have done maybe two of those things in a day and that would be the limit of my resources. I'm really excited and wish I would have handled this sooner.

    While it doesn't seem that any rich were eaten. It definitely feels like a soup course with broth made from rich stock - bouillonaire if you will - was had.

    My Dragon Age Origins Let's Play

    dispatch.oBliss 101Local H JayNightDragonArbitraryDescriptorKwoarucabsyBouwsTV1mBoozerVeeveeJuliusShazkar ShadowstormAthenorZilla360Antinumeric
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    While the adbot necro'ing an old thread is bad... I think I'm somewhat glad they have?

    I've been thinking about ADHD for a while now. Last time I brought it up with my counselor, I was told that my psychiatrist was pretty anti prescribing meds. You know -- figure out coping mechanisms, recognize when you are in a loop and what not... So basically I'm like.. okay, double down, let's get through this. But friends on facebook have been posting more and more about ADHD symptoms, and more importantly the effects afterwards. And it's made me think I want to make another attempt at it. Luckily I have a counselor appointment set up for Thursday already.. so I'm going to bring it up and see what happens.

    I wish I knew how to push harder. I really like my counselor/psychiatrist, but I also want to at least try meds. On my terms, unlike when I was a kid and they were forced on me.

    He/Him
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    @Athenor

    My doctor described ADHD as the most treatable mental health problem. The drugs just work. I'm on methylphenidate (ritalin) and it is night and day when I take it and don't take it. Getting a diagnosis was one of the best decisions of my life. I only wish I'd pushed to get it earlier.

    One of the questions they asked was "do you feel like there is a machine whirring in your head non stop" and I answered no, what are they talking about.
    About half an hour after taking the medicine I realised the answer was most definitely yes. Suddenly I felt calmer than I ever had in my life and my thoughts were still.

    Big problems for me are the increased heart rate and the mental effects wearing off about an hour before the heart rate lowers. Makes it hard to time my second dose of the day.

    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 4
    @Athenor

    My doctor described ADHD as the most treatable mental health problem. The drugs just work. I'm on methylphenidate (ritalin) and it is night and day when I take it and don't take it. Getting a diagnosis was one of the best decisions of my life. I only wish I'd pushed to get it earlier.

    One of the questions they asked was "do you feel like there is a machine whirring in your head non stop" and I answered no, what are they talking about.
    About half an hour after taking the medicine I realised the answer was most definitely yes. Suddenly I felt calmer than I ever had in my life and my thoughts were still.

    Big problems for me are the increased heart rate and the mental effects wearing off about an hour before the heart rate lowers. Makes it hard to time my second dose of the day.

    Thanks. :)

    Humorously enough, today was a visit with my GP about the subject. And if you've seen my posts here and on other hangouts, it definitely chilled my mood. It wasn't a bad visit, per se, but it meant I had to go a couple more weeks before getting anything going. Like facing a miniboss or something.

    Still, the doctor was worried about my high blood pressure, and would like me to get that under control so the stimulants or whatever don't cause other dangers. So now I just need to wait another week and a half to see my psychiatrist.

    Edit: Apparently my own journey is inspiring one of my friends to look into this as well. Which is awesome and scary. And he just linked to me a video that came out today. Holy cow the timing on this.

    Athenor on
    He/Him
    CalicaMorblitzCambiataZilla360
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 9
    Athenor wrote: »
    While the adbot necro'ing an old thread is bad... I think I'm somewhat glad they have?

    I've been thinking about ADHD for a while now. Last time I brought it up with my counselor, I was told that my psychiatrist was pretty anti prescribing meds. You know -- figure out coping mechanisms, recognize when you are in a loop and what not... So basically I'm like.. okay, double down, let's get through this. But friends on facebook have been posting more and more about ADHD symptoms, and more importantly the effects afterwards. And it's made me think I want to make another attempt at it. Luckily I have a counselor appointment set up for Thursday already.. so I'm going to bring it up and see what happens.

    I wish I knew how to push harder. I really like my counselor/psychiatrist, but I also want to at least try meds. On my terms, unlike when I was a kid and they were forced on me.

    As someone who works in mental health, and was recently diagnosed with ADHD myself and has been on medication for a few months - definitely push for medication. It's true. ADHD is one of the more treatable psychiatric conditions.

    A doctor that thinks medication isn't the right call for a patient with ADHD is, quite frankly, a moron. You may want to consider going elsewhere. They are not looking after your best interests based on their own preconveived notions about ADHD treatment. Medication works. It's evidence-based treatment. I'm so frustrated for you, and I've heard of other doctors doing that to people as well. It's infuriating. Medication. Is. Treatment.

    Coping strategies and stuff are great and all. But medication will unfuck your head enough for those things to be effective without leaving you fatigued as fuck and burnt out at the end of the day.

    Seriously. The benefit for me with medication alone was night and day. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to be feeling the way I felt pre-medication and I fully understand now how awful I felt, all the time. Not only am I able to work more effectively and productively, I'm more put together, and more engaged. I'm also not as disorganised and don't have to push myself to do chores or have my head scream in pain the whole time I'm doing them because I actually have a properly functioning dopamine fuel tank.

    Look into Dr Barkley. A psychiatrist and expert on ADHD. He is a big advocate on medication as first line of treatment for ADHD.

    I've also done my own research into it and found studies describing the benefits of medication on ADHD brains - they are effective, especially when tailored to the person, and they simply correct deficits caused by the ADHD.

    Edit: My post was largely in reply to one of your earlier posts @athenor . I'm glad to see that since your previous appointments you have started to get some movements.

    Getting Medication for ADHD is a bit of a process and Doctors often make you jump through hoops to make sure the meds won't cause further problems.

    But that's progress!

    Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    AthenorAntinumeric
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 10
    I'm so anxious for Tuesday. A session with my counselor, followed by a session with my psychiatrist. I should be fine.. but I'm so nervous about it.. and the aftermath.

    Is not being able to look people in the eye for extended periods a sign of ADHD? I've always had problems where I need to look slightly away or focus on other things while I listen to someone, and making eye contact makes me super anxious. I just noticed it today in a face to face meeting where I should've been addressing someone directly and respectfully.. and later, talking to some friends at the game store.

    Athenor on
    He/Him
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 10
    It can be, partly because when you look at someones eyes you are FOCUSING on them, and with ADHD, the mental requirements of doing such focus can become quite uncomfortable. So you look away to allow you to continue focusing on what is being said to you.

    But you're sort of talking about it from a personal discomfort and anxiety perspective. That kind of response is a bit more in line with features on the Autism Spectrum - of which we are all on it to some degree. Autism and ADHD are related, though and it's quite common to have both. My brother has it. I might have it. I don't know.

    However, it's not that simple. It sounds like you're under a fair amount of stress which could be playing a part of that - affecting your confidence etc. To get to the bottom of it you may need to either look at your mood, or behaviour across the lifespan which would involve working more with a professional.

    Perhaps bring it up with your counsellor and get their thoughts. Are they a psychologist?

    Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 10
    Morblitz wrote: »
    It can be, partly because when you look at someones eyes you are FOCUSING on them, and with ADHD, the mental requirements of doing such focus can become quite uncomfortable. So you look away to allow you to continue focusing on what is being said to you.

    But you're sort of talking about it from a personal discomfort and anxiety perspective. That kind of response is a bit more in line with features on the Autism Spectrum - of which we are all on it to some degree. Autism and ADHD are related, though and it's quite common to have both. My brother has it. I might have it. I don't know.

    However, it's not that simple. It sounds like you're under a fair amount of stress which could be playing a part of that - affecting your confidence etc. To get to the bottom of it you may need to either look at your mood, or behaviour across the lifespan which would involve working more with a professional.

    Perhaps bring it up with your counsellor and get their thoughts. Are they a psychologist?

    Yeah, I know they have degrees in Behavioral Science and we've talked about it in the past. I think it's just being acutely aware of things.

    Again, I appreciate the help. :)

    Athenor on
    He/Him
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    No worries at all mate.
    Focus on what's important for you right now, though! And that's getting what you need in order to feel more functional.

    Other stuff can come in later if it's continuing to distress you.

    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    How timely for this thread to come back. I've actually been having the worst ADHD symptoms of my life the past month or so. My doc is trying me on different medications until we find one that works for me again, but in the meantime my brain fog has made me exhausted every day. I think my increased symptoms might be a mix of perimenopause plus still being in the learning phase of my new job. Except that the medication works the first week, then the second week it's back to full time brain fog. My next teladoc is Monday, and I believe doc is going to try me on a Ritalin variant instead of my standby of Adderall variants. Here's hoping.

    While it doesn't seem that any rich were eaten. It definitely feels like a soup course with broth made from rich stock - bouillonaire if you will - was had.

    My Dragon Age Origins Let's Play

  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with Vyvanse? It seems to be really popular with my friends, basically all of them going on it after trying other things. It feels weird going "I want these drugs because my friends all like them..."

    He/Him
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Yep!
    I've been on it about 6 weeks now from adderall.
    Your friends may be liking it because it's an overall smoother experience than adderall, at least in my experience.

    I take it in the morning before I get out of bed and give it another half an hour. It takes an hour for your body to process it and get the same benefit that it gets from adderall. So I get out of bed about halfway through. As I start going about my morning, the dread of the day and my anxiety about feeling incapable to meet the day melts away and I start to feel a lot more relaxed about what I have to do.

    It also lasts for approximately 12 hours so I don't need to be topping it up with 2-3 doses throughout the day which got really annoying. Having to take doses also means you feel like you're peaking and dipping over the day. So productive in one instance and flagging in another and then back up again after your next dose. I really felt the benefit but disliked how I had to go about it.

    My doctor put me on vyvanse after about 3 months on adderall and whilst I do miss the 'peak' part, I feel overall more put together and able to do the day. But I still have a lot of bad habits that I've developed over the years. So at times I'm unsure if something is either bad habits causing me problems or the medication losing effectiveness. It's more likely my habits and styles that have been entrenched over my life.

    I would recommend it but Dr's usually start you on adderall or ritalin first. Particularly if you're an adult diagnosis. My friend was put on vyvanse immediately though because he had physical evidence of childhood symptoms right off the bat.

    This is in Australia though so your mileage may vary.

    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    Athenor
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited September 14
    Thanks to everyone in this thread, I finally talked to my doctor at my recent physical. I have a teledoc appointment with a treatment professional Wednesday to get a final diagnosis and build a treatment plan, but my doctor said I'm one of the most clear cut ADHD cases she's seen fill out the questionnaire. She actually said to me that she is shocked I've been as successful as I've been in my career with no help until now. Seeing all your stories about getting it diagnosed and treated, even in your 40's (which I am) finally pushed me over the edge to talk to her about it. We'll see what happens Wednesday but this may be a whole new chapter in my life.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    AthenorMorblitzDoctorArchspool32Antinumeric
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow's my big day. My Counselor is pushing for it, my GP is willing to give it a shot (though he's worried about blood pressure), so it's now just the psychiatrist. If the Psych doesn't go for it, I don't know what I'll do... I feel bad abandoning a doctor because they are supposed to know more than I am. But I do know my GP would be willing to prescribe something if I hunt down my childhood records of being on Ritalin, and my counselor has some other resources I can look to if push really comes to shove.

    I also found out my bro had tried taking them and didn't let me know. The butt. :D Though it sounds like they didn't do a ton for him. But I know he also has some other cognitive issues from his childhood - notably an issue with audio learning.

    I also was just sitting there in shock at how much I wanted to butt in and interrupt conversations with my family. We all were kind of sniping to be the next one to talk.

    He/Him
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 14
    Athenor wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with Vyvanse? It seems to be really popular with my friends, basically all of them going on it after trying other things. It feels weird going "I want these drugs because my friends all like them..."

    I've been on Vyvanse for.... 8 years now I think?

    Absolutely love it and could not function without it. To me, Adderall works like a step pyramid of effectiveness from no medication to a full effect and then back down to no effect. Vyvanse is more of a smooth curve. Plus it seems to work on a longer timeframe so it has the wider base. Edit: it also only raises my heart rate by ~10 bpm, compared to the chest pounding I got on Adderall.

    Regarding doctors not refusing to prescribe medication for ADHD... That is bordering on malpractice. My first psychiatrist sent me to a specialist for diagnosis, who diagnosed me with severe inattentive ADHD, and recommended immediate medication. Psych refused to even contemplate medications until I had a marijuana free pee test. Due to my useage before diagnosis that would have meant 6 months minimum without medication (and I doubt I'd stay clean through that period), and probably the loss of my job (and loss of insurance leading to no help with my ADHD...) for forgetting to do this or that. I immediately dropped them and found another psychiatrist who may have actually reported the first psych after they added drug seeking behavior because I dropped them to my medical file.

    Just because they have a piece of paper claiming they're qualified does not mean they actually are qualified. Both the best and worst graduates get that same piece of paper.

    Veevee on
    GnizmoMorblitzHeffling
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I need to revisit medication - I briefly was on adderall a few years ago, and found it too crashy and headachey... and at the time, despite my childhood adhd diagnosis, was not that knowledgable about adhd as a condition because people said oh you're fine... which foolishly led me to trying wellbutrin, which had devastating permanent side effects that have scared me off of medicine again and have really made my last few years of life very difficult since

    But now I feel more knowledgable (thank you internet) so maybe it's time to see a doc again
    And maybe a proper doc that specializes in ADHD and not these people that burned me

    I really ought to go give vyvanse a shot (which I did not know about when I last tried things)

    poo
    Morblitz
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with Vyvanse? It seems to be really popular with my friends, basically all of them going on it after trying other things. It feels weird going "I want these drugs because my friends all like them..."

    I've been on Vyvanse for.... 8 years now I think?

    Absolutely love it and could not function without it. To me, Adderall works like a step pyramid of effectiveness from no medication to a full effect and then back down to no effect. Vyvanse is more of a smooth curve. Plus it seems to work on a longer timeframe so it has the wider base. Edit: it also only raises my heart rate by ~10 bpm, compared to the chest pounding I got on Adderall.

    Regarding doctors not refusing to prescribe medication for ADHD... That is bordering on malpractice. My first psychiatrist sent me to a specialist for diagnosis, who diagnosed me with severe inattentive ADHD, and recommended immediate medication. Psych refused to even contemplate medications until I had a marijuana free pee test. Due to my useage before diagnosis that would have meant 6 months minimum without medication (and I doubt I'd stay clean through that period), and probably the loss of my job (and loss of insurance leading to no help with my ADHD...) for forgetting to do this or that. I immediately dropped them and found another psychiatrist who may have actually reported the first psych after they added drug seeking behavior because I dropped them to my medical file.

    Just because they have a piece of paper claiming they're qualified does not mean they actually are qualified. Both the best and worst graduates get that same piece of paper.

    I add this all just to drive home how much of an asshole that psychiatrist is. There are actually non-controlled substances approved to treat ADHD. They are not generally as effective, but they exist to be tried. Even if there are concerns about drug seeking behavior (more on that in a bit) then you have a fucking slew of options to try before going there.

    I want to add here that the concept about drug seeking behavior is complete and utter horseshit. I say this mostly to help destigmatize seeking medicine to help, and will delete this happily if people think I am just soap boxing to a choir. Years of working in mental health has certainly given me Opinions about psychiatrists and the entire mental health system as a whole.

    I have around addiction a lot. Like a whole lot. This concept that people are somehow drug seeking in the modern age is almost fucking laughable. Not to say shit doesn't go bad, but we have databases for prescriptions that everyone checks. Worst case scenario someone gets a normal 30 day supply that will last them less than a week with a serious problem every month which is still providing a lot of help.

    More importantly, people seek shit out because they need them! Do they expect fucking healthy people to walk in the door for a pleasant chat? It's like getting on someone for showing fruit seeking behavior at a farmers market. It's kinda why we are all fucking here asshole. Do your damn job. Give people the medicine they need. Sometimes that means they come to you with some ideas of what will work. Makes your job a lot easier now don't it? Assholes.

  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 15
    Whelp. After a whirlwind of events and strange coincidences...

    Here we go. Adderall XR, 20mg daily. Yeah, I also have to put up with a 4th blood pressure med from my GP, but both my Counselor and Psychiatrist were okay going slow and seeing if this affects me before we tried the "Cadillac" as it was described to me. Checkup with my GP in about 2-3 weeks, checkup with my psychiatrist and counselor in a month. I also replaced the fitness tracker I broke back in April with a shiny new one, so I can keep an eye on my heart rate.


    Edit: Pharmacist described it as a medium dosage. Into the breach... tomorrow morning.

    Athenor on
    He/Him
    GnomeTankZilla360Morblitz
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    I got my adderall prescription today as well, non-XR, but my clinician is fine with moving me to XR, or changing to something like Vyvance, if the twice a day adderall doesn't work for me.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Morblitz
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with Vyvanse? It seems to be really popular with my friends, basically all of them going on it after trying other things. It feels weird going "I want these drugs because my friends all like them..."

    I've been on Vyvanse for.... 8 years now I think?

    Absolutely love it and could not function without it. To me, Adderall works like a step pyramid of effectiveness from no medication to a full effect and then back down to no effect. Vyvanse is more of a smooth curve. Plus it seems to work on a longer timeframe so it has the wider base. Edit: it also only raises my heart rate by ~10 bpm, compared to the chest pounding I got on Adderall.

    Regarding doctors not refusing to prescribe medication for ADHD... That is bordering on malpractice. My first psychiatrist sent me to a specialist for diagnosis, who diagnosed me with severe inattentive ADHD, and recommended immediate medication. Psych refused to even contemplate medications until I had a marijuana free pee test. Due to my useage before diagnosis that would have meant 6 months minimum without medication (and I doubt I'd stay clean through that period), and probably the loss of my job (and loss of insurance leading to no help with my ADHD...) for forgetting to do this or that. I immediately dropped them and found another psychiatrist who may have actually reported the first psych after they added drug seeking behavior because I dropped them to my medical file.

    Just because they have a piece of paper claiming they're qualified does not mean they actually are qualified. Both the best and worst graduates get that same piece of paper.

    This is especially fucky fucked because marijuana self medication is extremely high among undiagnosed/untreated ADHD patients. My psych and I just talked about this, and she definitely recommended I back off on the marijuana, but fully understood my usage and wasn't judgy at all about it. She thinks I'll naturally feel the need to self medicate less once we've gotten me on the right meds and have it managed in that way.

    Glad you dropped that psychiatrist like a bad habit and found a good one.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    As I've been commenting in the D&D chat, today has been WILD. I'm still trying to figure out how much is the euphoria of a new drug, how much is the stimulant, how much is the ADHD and indecisiveness melting away, and how much is just me being excited and jazzed and happy to be on this journey.

    He/Him
    GnomeTankMorblitz
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited September 15
    Athenor wrote: »
    As I've been commenting in the D&D chat, today has been WILD. I'm still trying to figure out how much is the euphoria of a new drug, how much is the stimulant, how much is the ADHD and indecisiveness melting away, and how much is just me being excited and jazzed and happy to be on this journey.

    I'm right there with you, and I don't even have my prescription yet. It's like an elephant that's been there my whole life is getting lifted off my chest.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 15
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with Vyvanse? It seems to be really popular with my friends, basically all of them going on it after trying other things. It feels weird going "I want these drugs because my friends all like them..."

    I've been on Vyvanse for.... 8 years now I think?

    Absolutely love it and could not function without it. To me, Adderall works like a step pyramid of effectiveness from no medication to a full effect and then back down to no effect. Vyvanse is more of a smooth curve. Plus it seems to work on a longer timeframe so it has the wider base. Edit: it also only raises my heart rate by ~10 bpm, compared to the chest pounding I got on Adderall.

    Regarding doctors not refusing to prescribe medication for ADHD... That is bordering on malpractice. My first psychiatrist sent me to a specialist for diagnosis, who diagnosed me with severe inattentive ADHD, and recommended immediate medication. Psych refused to even contemplate medications until I had a marijuana free pee test. Due to my useage before diagnosis that would have meant 6 months minimum without medication (and I doubt I'd stay clean through that period), and probably the loss of my job (and loss of insurance leading to no help with my ADHD...) for forgetting to do this or that. I immediately dropped them and found another psychiatrist who may have actually reported the first psych after they added drug seeking behavior because I dropped them to my medical file.

    Just because they have a piece of paper claiming they're qualified does not mean they actually are qualified. Both the best and worst graduates get that same piece of paper.

    I add this all just to drive home how much of an asshole that psychiatrist is. There are actually non-controlled substances approved to treat ADHD. They are not generally as effective, but they exist to be tried. Even if there are concerns about drug seeking behavior (more on that in a bit) then you have a fucking slew of options to try before going there.

    I want to add here that the concept about drug seeking behavior is complete and utter horseshit. I say this mostly to help destigmatize seeking medicine to help, and will delete this happily if people think I am just soap boxing to a choir. Years of working in mental health has certainly given me Opinions about psychiatrists and the entire mental health system as a whole.

    I have around addiction a lot. Like a whole lot. This concept that people are somehow drug seeking in the modern age is almost fucking laughable. Not to say shit doesn't go bad, but we have databases for prescriptions that everyone checks. Worst case scenario someone gets a normal 30 day supply that will last them less than a week with a serious problem every month which is still providing a lot of help.

    More importantly, people seek shit out because they need them! Do they expect fucking healthy people to walk in the door for a pleasant chat? It's like getting on someone for showing fruit seeking behavior at a farmers market. It's kinda why we are all fucking here asshole. Do your damn job. Give people the medicine they need. Sometimes that means they come to you with some ideas of what will work. Makes your job a lot easier now don't it? Assholes.

    Thank you for this post and your candor.

    There is evidence that drug-seeking behaviour is associated with undiagnosed ADHD because, well, you need medication! So if a doctor won't give it to you, people find it elsewhere.

    I can't quote the exact number but on two occasions I heard a psychiatrist (for America) and a recent psychologist (In Australia) talk about the prevalaence of people convicted of drug-related crimes having ADHD being significant.

    This whole 'you've taken drugs in your past and now you can't have medication to function' is bullshit, increases the stigma against effective medication, and negatively impacts lives.

    Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    Gnizmo
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 15
    Edit: Accidental repost.

    Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 15
    Athenor wrote: »
    Whelp. After a whirlwind of events and strange coincidences...

    Here we go. Adderall XR, 20mg daily. Yeah, I also have to put up with a 4th blood pressure med from my GP, but both my Counselor and Psychiatrist were okay going slow and seeing if this affects me before we tried the "Cadillac" as it was described to me. Checkup with my GP in about 2-3 weeks, checkup with my psychiatrist and counselor in a month. I also replaced the fitness tracker I broke back in April with a shiny new one, so I can keep an eye on my heart rate.


    Edit: Pharmacist described it as a medium dosage. Into the breach... tomorrow morning.

    To respond to this quote and your most recent post as well, @Athenor. This is very common. You feel like a super brain at first and then it settles.

    Medication like this is very frequently prescribed at a lower amount and titrated up over several weeks and months. Don't dispair if you have a terrific reaction immediately but then start to peter off in the coming weeks/months. You may or may not go up a dose depending on the doctors thoughts.

    It's a process. I've been on medication overall for about 6 months and I've had my adderal dose adjust both in amount and times of the day, changed completely to vyvanse, and that might be adjusted too.

    I have an appointment myself tomorrow. Will see how it goes.

    Something I've been realising though, as my job can sometimes require quite cognitive heavy tasks such as report writing. How much of my lack of productivity is due to medication effectiveness, or poor habits that I have entrenched as a coping mechanism for my ADHD symptoms over the last like, 20-25 years. That's hard to undo. You may have a similiar experience.

    So even with the medication I find it hard to sit down and dive into complicated work. Menial admin tasks and house chores though? Much, much better. So, yeah, a process.

    Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    GnomeTankAthenorAntinumeric
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited September 15
    Morblitz wrote: »
    Something I've been realising though, as my job can sometimes require quite cognitive heavy tasks such as report writing. How much of my lack of productivity is due to medication effectiveness, or poor habits that I have entrenched as a coping mechanism for my ADHD symptoms over the last like, 20-25 years. That's hard to undo. You may have a similiar experience.

    So even with the medication I find it hard to sit down and dive into complicated work. Menial admin tasks and house chores though? Much, much better. So, yeah, a process.

    Thanks you for sharing this part specifically. I've wondered about this very thing as I go on to treatment myself. I've got 20+ years of adult, professional life, forming what are probably bad coping habits that aren't just going to go away because I take a pill. Thanks for reaffirming this. It's something I will definitely keep front of mind.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Morblitz
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Today's been insane, and I am looking forward to the next few days/weeks to see what really happens. I was blown away by how I was able to focus on multiple things. I actually enjoyed playing bowling, and didn't feel tired the entire time. I've been super happy.

    Like I said, we'll see. But I'd rather for more days like this than not.

    He/Him
    GnomeTankMorblitz
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 16
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Morblitz wrote: »
    Something I've been realising though, as my job can sometimes require quite cognitive heavy tasks such as report writing. How much of my lack of productivity is due to medication effectiveness, or poor habits that I have entrenched as a coping mechanism for my ADHD symptoms over the last like, 20-25 years. That's hard to undo. You may have a similiar experience.

    So even with the medication I find it hard to sit down and dive into complicated work. Menial admin tasks and house chores though? Much, much better. So, yeah, a process.

    Thanks you for sharing this part specifically. I've wondered about this very thing as I go on to treatment myself. I've got 20+ years of adult, professional life, forming what are probably bad coping habits that aren't just going to go away because I take a pill. Thanks for reaffirming this. It's something I will definitely keep front of mind.

    You're welcome.
    This has been a particular struggle for me as I was only diagnosed this year, over 5 years after I completed my master's degree and started working. I really didn't understand why University was so challenging for me. It would take me weeks to chip away at assignments and I would devote whole days to just studying. I had very little social life at Uni. Meanwhile my classmates partied, did assignments at the last minute, and got good grades.

    I got very good grades but I killed myself for them. I also have chronic pain from a condition and injury when I was younger. I also chalked my concentration difficulties up to that but I realise it's the ADHD now. In fact, I often wonder if the ADHD amplified my pain when stressed because my brain was looking for distractions from work.

    So after Uni and I start working, I have to do a lot of admin work and report writing, and the way I would go about it didn't make any financial sense. I'd often work from home on weekends and take far longer to finish it then I wanted. Again, often missing out on things I could be doing on weekends or holidays. I'd basically be working for free a lot of the time to get stuff done.

    It was only after I met my now girlfriend who is quite well organised and I was doing report writing on weekends when she wanted to spend time with me. I saw such a stark difference and one day after work as I was just sitting at my desk being unproductive, I knew something else was going on so I started looking into it.

    Long story short, the medication I'm on has changed my life, but as you can see above I have a long history of bad habits that I need to unwind to really see what my true capabilities on the medication are. I can already see it improving. My writing is clearer and more efficient. So drafts take less refining as don't spend nearly as much time on them as I used to. I'm also able to use my free time better for myself and my partner! But it's still difficult at times.

    Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    @Morblitz

    Have you noticed anything with stuff tasting better/worse? Or noticing how things taste more?

    That was like the first sign of my new medicine, was grabbing breakfast, biting into a sandwich, and going "holy shit is that what that tastes like?" That experience has continued with every meal, up to dinner just now -- when I Was like.. ugh, this orange chicken tastes shitty, and this mountain dew is overpowering/nasty.

    I looked up some stuff online, or tried to. I found a story of how focusing on what you eat allows you to taste/smell it... and another article/abstract about how loss of taste/smell is associated with dopamine, and can be an early sign of parkinsons/alzheimers on one end and ADHD/schitzophrenia on the other. Which is.. wonderful, because my dad has really bad Parkinsons, and our first sign was his loss of taste/smell. We didn't realize that was a symptom until too late. I don't think I'm anywhere near that point, mind you, but as my case of ADHD was likely "Borderline/mild," I'm shocked at how much of a swing this is.

    He/Him
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    @Morblitz

    Have you noticed anything with stuff tasting better/worse? Or noticing how things taste more?

    That was like the first sign of my new medicine, was grabbing breakfast, biting into a sandwich, and going "holy shit is that what that tastes like?" That experience has continued with every meal, up to dinner just now -- when I Was like.. ugh, this orange chicken tastes shitty, and this mountain dew is overpowering/nasty.

    I looked up some stuff online, or tried to. I found a story of how focusing on what you eat allows you to taste/smell it... and another article/abstract about how loss of taste/smell is associated with dopamine, and can be an early sign of parkinsons/alzheimers on one end and ADHD/schitzophrenia on the other. Which is.. wonderful, because my dad has really bad Parkinsons, and our first sign was his loss of taste/smell. We didn't realize that was a symptom until too late. I don't think I'm anywhere near that point, mind you, but as my case of ADHD was likely "Borderline/mild," I'm shocked at how much of a swing this is.

    Hm! Interesting point and sorry that the experience gave you a bit of a fright there.

    But nah I havn't exactly noticed a change in my tense sensation. I have noticed reduced craving for junk and snack food though. Adderall and Vyvanse do reduce your appetite but it might also be that I don't crave the dopamine hit as much anymore.

    I do get dry mouth and I don't know what it's called, the opposite? A build up of saliva. Both are annoying because my job involves a lot of talking to people face to face and not looking weird while doing it. I use a mouthwash for the dry mouth which helps a bit.

    I'll try to be more mindful about food. I've always enjoyed food though so I don't recall having a muted taste sensation.

    Also just to change the subject quickly, I saw from a lecturer from Dr Barkley that sipping (not gulping) sugary drinks helps keeps glucose in your pre-frontal cortex which aids in executive functioning. So when I work I keep a juice or something next to me to sip on and it helps me keep topped up so I don't falter as much.

    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    One thing that happened to me and you you might want to be mindful of is your emotions becoming more powerful. Happy things will make you feel extra happy, sad things make you extra sad, etc etc. If you find it overwhelming talk to your doctor, I personally take bupropion (generic Wellbutrin) with my Vyvanse to help even out the peaks and valleys of emotion.

    One resource I've found to be rather helpful is the YouTube channel "How to ADHD". Not just for learning about myself, but also for people without ADHD to better understand our brains. Two particular topics I'd recommend is the motivation bridge and the wall of awful.

    AthenorMorblitz
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm 5 days in, and I'm starting to notice patterns:

    If my mind thinks to do something, I usually make a snap decision on whether it is worth it or not, and generally err on the side of doing it. This has led to picking up small bits of trash and the like.
    Focusing still seems hard, but I think that's a case of trying to choose what to work on.
    I'm not beating myself up for the above.
    I'm getting super tired around 8:30-9 PM each day.
    I'm sleeping like crap, seemingly taking forever to fall asleep and waking up around 5-6 AM. Like I'll lay down at 10, won't be asleep by Midnight, levels of suck.
    My blood pressure and heartbeat seem pretty stable.
    My boss has commented on how perky I seem in the morning.
    The days seem to be going "slower." Like I have more things to do, and I'm not just constantly glancing at the clock to see an hour has passed or something.

    All this line up with Adderall pretty well? My counselor said it would either be immediately obvious that it is working, or I wouldn't notice anything. So I'm trying to figure out if this is good or not.

    He/Him
    spool32Morblitz
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 21
    In my experience, the sleeping like crap thing is because the medication is no longer working so my mind is then free to distract me while trying to fall asleep. If you are taking two doses a day, try taking the second later so it's not out of your system when trying to fall asleep. Even caffeine could be helpful in this situation. At the same time, your issue of being tired at 8:30 to 9 is probably when your meds have fully left your system, so pushing when you take your meds back an hour could also help with the going to sleep at 10 problem, too.

    If you can't delay taking your meds, and other stimulants aren't helpful, try finding something that relaxes your mind and makes you sleepy then do that before bed. For me that is starting a new game of civ, then playing with my brain on auto-pilot. After about 20 minutes I am usually falling asleep, and once I get to bed I am out immediately. I've also been rather militant about not doing anything but sleeping (except for a certain activity) in my bed so my brain recognizes that it's sleep time, and not time to think about all my short-comings or that embarrassing moment.

    Edit: your description tells me that stimulant medication is obviously working for you. Now it's a matter of finding the right one with the right dosage.

    Veevee on
    Athenorspool32Morblitz
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I have ADHD and I've been taking 5 mg of melatonin when I need to actually go to sleep instead of just waiting for physical exhaustion to take me. Works pretty well, just make sure you get a good quality melatonin, preferably one certified by USP.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Awesome, TY. The meds are extended release, so I'm only taking one pill.

    He/Him
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm 5 days in, and I'm starting to notice patterns:

    If my mind thinks to do something, I usually make a snap decision on whether it is worth it or not, and generally err on the side of doing it. This has led to picking up small bits of trash and the like.
    Focusing still seems hard, but I think that's a case of trying to choose what to work on.
    I'm not beating myself up for the above.
    I'm getting super tired around 8:30-9 PM each day.
    I'm sleeping like crap, seemingly taking forever to fall asleep and waking up around 5-6 AM. Like I'll lay down at 10, won't be asleep by Midnight, levels of suck.
    My blood pressure and heartbeat seem pretty stable.
    My boss has commented on how perky I seem in the morning.
    The days seem to be going "slower." Like I have more things to do, and I'm not just constantly glancing at the clock to see an hour has passed or something.

    All this line up with Adderall pretty well? My counselor said it would either be immediately obvious that it is working, or I wouldn't notice anything. So I'm trying to figure out if this is good or not.

    Yup. A lot of this has been my experience on Vyvanse. On top of what @Veevee said about emotions sometimes.
    Focusing can be difficult but I have this little pattern that my partner has noticed. I'll drop something or put something down or walk past rubbish or something that needs picking up. I'll stop mid step, turn around, and fix or collect it. It's like my body walks past but my brain catches me now and sends me back.

    I also feel less guilty for the times when I'm not productive because I'm getting better at channelling my productivity in bursts.

    Part of why I got myself assessed was that I wanted to move across to increase my hours in my own business, rather than split my focus across 2 jobs which SUCKED. Now that I'm doing it, I felt guilty for not doing extra admin work between... work. So I've given myself permission to take a weekday a week and focus that on my admin. So during the rest of the week, between clients I rest and recharge. It's working for me.

    The exhaustion at 9pm is a couple of things. The medication leaving your body, the poor sleep from the night before, but also remember that you are DOING SO MUCH MORE in your day now. Your body isn't used to it. It will be fatigued.

    But then yep, the sleep is a struggle. I take melatonin as well. It does help. But creating a sleep routine will be good too.
    The day going slower I think is reduced "Time blindness" it's going slower because you aren't losing time anymore. It used to happen for me. At my old job I'd get up early, and start getting ready, and still have to rush not to be late because all of a sudden I have to go and my shoes aren't even on.

    After medication I was fitting in the laundry and dishes and getting to work early.

    It sounds like you're on a really positive path forward. It's not perfect. Lack of sleep may be a problem as it affects ADHD symptoms. Also if you aren't tired, don't got to bed. It just creates a habit of you going to bed and thinking, like said above. So when your head hits the pillow it automatically goes into 'thinking mode' rather than 'sleeping mode'.

    Either change the time you take your medication, or go to bed an hour later.

    Keep us updated dude. I'm really happy for you that it's working for you.

    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    Athenor
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    A lot of the things that you are talking about could be because they put you on 20mg right away! I was titrated up from 5mg.

    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    A lot of the things that you are talking about could be because they put you on 20mg right away! I was titrated up from 5mg.

    Oh wow do they do 5mg extended release? Interesting.

    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    A lot of the things that you are talking about could be because they put you on 20mg right away! I was titrated up from 5mg.

    Oh wow do they do 5mg extended release? Interesting.

    Ah not sure, I just realized aethnor is on Adderall and I'm on ritalin.so my advice may not apply.

    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Registered User regular
    A handful of things I've learned over years with ADHD and working with a psychiatrist who seems to really be on top of his shit with pharmacokinetics:

    I had issues with headachiness, sleep disturbance, and protracted mood problems during the comedown. The biggest thing that made a difference was swapping off the extended release meds to regular dextroamphetamine. Also, stay hydrated and eat regularly. If you let your focus on a task keep you from eating/drinking for a prolonged period, you're going to feel like shit and it's not necessarily the medicine's fault.

    Melatonin, per my psych, tends to be used too late and in too small a dose. His advice to me was to take 6mg at 6pm every day if I'm trying to sleep at ten. I'm male and weigh 180 pounds so that might factor into dosing.

    (from a previous psych) Most extended release medicines are extended release because of the capsule they come in, but Vyvanse's extended release nature is due to its molecular makeup. It has a variable number of lysine groups tacked onto each molecule which have to be removed by your metabolism before it functions as an amphetamine (so for example the molecules with one lysine kick in before the ones with four). This means two things. First, it's more likely to upset your stomach than the other ADHD meds. Second, you can take a partial dose though it obviously won't be precise.

    I've tried Adderrall XR, Dextroamphetamine, Dextroamphetamine XR, and Vyvanse. Every one of them agitated my digestion and made me a bit diarrheic, with Vyvanse being the worst. Upping my fiber intake significantly has helped a lot but not entirely eliminated (heehee) the problem. If anyone has found other methods for managing that particular issue, I would be interested in hearing them.

    Be wary of alcohol. I've found that I can get away with one or two drinks as long as I'm mindful to really stay on top of hydration. One time I forgot that I had taken a vyvanse early in the day, then I went to a party at night and drank way more than I was intending. I browned out after four drinks in an hour (planning to stop around there) and continued on to drink I don't know how much more. That's saying something, considering my threshold for memory loss is so high that the only other time I hit it I was hungover for three days as a teenager. Seriously, be wary of alcohol.

    Morblitz
Sign In or Register to comment.