As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So... uh... PAX?

1235»

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Well, have fun my fellow nerds. The universe conspired against me and I had to cancel my trip a few days ago (just now getting the chance to post). Fortunately the Homewood has a good cancelation policy, so I'm out only the cost of the 4-day.

Which, to be perfectly forthcoming, isn't totally a Bad Thing(tm) for me. The way things were shaping up for the event with a lack of content from companies and such, that really, IMO, bad decisions regarding the metal detectors and entrance (or lack there of), and the number of people who are paying money to fake proof of being vaxxed, I was really starting to question if the cost of the trip was going to be something worth doing.

See, for me, PAX is community first. Being able to hang out and see groups like Loading Ready Run, maybe talk with Jessie Cox if he does a 'sell out' trip ;) , hang out with friendos in the area that would normally be all over the event, potentially running into Mike and/or Jerry on the floor, things like that. But with so many not going to be there, and recent events making my presence locally of a greater import...

I really wanted to be there and be able to claim a 10 year streak. But alas. I'm viewing this philosophically as a huge hint that going was not going to be a Good Time (tm) for me, and acted accordingly.

There will always be next year. Make sure to thank your enforcers everyone! <3

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    7ucky wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the Club PA meetup on Saturday will entail? The Patreon only mentions the time and place, but no other details.

Maybe you should ask on Patreon and not on here.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    How do I add the badges to the bottom of my posts?

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    Bluemeane wrote: »
    How do I add the badges to the bottom of my posts?

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206774/pax-forum-signature-mini-badges

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    TEST!!!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    Oops I added one too many (Got excited for next year!)

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    7ucky7ucky Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what the Club PA meetup on Saturday will entail? The Patreon only mentions the time and place, but no other details.

I did, but there was no information there, so I came here to see if others had. No one else did, so I didn't attend the meetup. Cool story!

pvleevc2o4pj.png
  • Options
    brosephene_brosephene_ Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Well, I don't know if anyone is really looking for post-West thoughts, but I thought I'd offer a few:

1. First and foremost, I can definitely understand why people have wildly mixed feelings after the fact. Personally, I had a great experience.

2. Safety precautions and compliance were super high. Someone mentioned not having metal detectors at the doors-- I'm not sure where that information came from but thankfully it wasn't correct. There were detectors and security staff at every door, as you'd expect. As far as COVID, mask compliance was impressive. I heard of a handful of people who got salty about it over the course of the weekend, but didn't witness many trying to cheat the system-- and enforcers were very good about addressing any who did. WSCC staff was also extremely present and attentive to it.

3. There's no getting around the fact the expo floor was thin. I don't have any behind-the-scenes info, but I have two main thoughts. First-- I get why people were annoyed or disappointed, and can understand why a four-day badge especially might have been a letdown. People save up for these events and might not feel the cost was justified. Second-- that being said, the argument "how can they charge full price for a smaller con" falls flat to me because I have to assume the price of doing business has also gone up tremendously. Obviously, at the end of the day it's a personal choice about whether the event is worth the cost to you; to me, it seemed understandable.

4. What's really interesting to me here is assuming we don't see any major breakouts as a result of PAX West (I feel optimistic), exhibitors are going to be much more likely to consider coming to the next one. A small-scale test run like this will likely unlock larger and more "PAX-y" events being done safely. If people are hesitant to invest in the next one, that makes sense-- but assuming it happens (and I can get the PTO), I plan on going! :)

Anyway, I have a lot more thoughts but those were the ones that stuck out to me. If you didn't get to go and have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

cq3frqzgo56a.png
  • Options
    captscotty17captscotty17 Registered User new member
    I have to agree with a lot of the people that have posted on this. I also attended Pax West as well, and this was my Finance very first Pax. I had a great time, and reminded me of what a Convention could be when people are forced to interact with each other.

The Safety Precautions were better than my own workspace, and was a real proven test that yes you can get a bunch of people to wear a mask, and behave themselves. I actually told my team today, I don't want to hear any complaints about the mask mandate at work, I came from a convention that had everyone not only comply but gladly do so.

Yes as stated above the Expo Floor was thin, but this really was a proof in purchase, yes our folks that purchased a 4 day pass may have had a bad taste in your mouth, but we need to prove to the world that we are interested in conventions again, those who came to the Expo took a risk and I am thankful for it. I think PAX West as a proof that the gaming community is hungry to come back together and show our love for not only the brands we support but to the community as a large, and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that yes we want conventions back.

But to those who came to Convention, thank you for showing the world the very best in what the Gaming Community was all about, and the leadership we showed the world. GG everyone! See you at the next Pax because I am hopeful for Pax South.

n6pfyfhjbpwo.png
  • Options

I did, but there was no information there, so I came here to see if others had. No one else did, so I didn't attend the meetup. Cool story!

There were more details, just not on the post you commented on.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    I am hoping they have the same requirements for next year. That being vaccinated or proof of negative test (Although in the entire time I was there I ONLY ever saw the black cloth wristbands so I don't think there were any if many people not vaccinated at the show), and masks.

It will make for a better show experience, and a safer one as I do not think much will have changed by then anyways.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    I am hoping they have the same requirements for next year. That being vaccinated or proof of negative test (Although in the entire time I was there I ONLY ever saw the black cloth wristbands so I don't think there were any if many people not vaccinated at the show), and masks.

It will make for a better show experience, and a safer one as I do not think much will have changed by then anyways.

How do you know that Covid will be an issue by next year? By then, pretty much everyone will have some form of immunity, whether it be natural or vaccine.

PA also needs to loosen up the testing rules, because the turnaround time did turn into an issue. I got a test every day between Tuesday and Friday, Tue/Wed/Thur tests at a Curative site, and Friday at a UW Medicine site close to the light rail. Tuesday test came back in time in the middle of the night Thursday night, Wednesday and Thursday tests came back outside the 72 hour window. Fortunately, the UW Medicine test came back within 12 hours. All of my tests came back negative, and I haven't had any symptoms since getting home.

Also, don't tell me to just get the jab, because I do not trust them at all.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    "Also, don't tell me to just get the jab, because I do not trust them at all.

Even if we disagree on this point, I would like to profusely thank you for following through with the admittedly annoying test procedures rather than trying to fake your way to a vaccinated wrist band.

• Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »

How do you know that Covid will be an issue by next year? By then, pretty much everyone will have some form of immunity, whether it be natural or vaccine.

PA also needs to loosen up the testing rules, because the turnaround time did turn into an issue. I got a test every day between Tuesday and Friday, Tue/Wed/Thur tests at a Curative site, and Friday at a UW Medicine site close to the light rail. Tuesday test came back in time in the middle of the night Thursday night, Wednesday and Thursday tests came back outside the 72 hour window. Fortunately, the UW Medicine test came back within 12 hours. All of my tests came back negative, and I haven't had any symptoms since getting home.

If it were still an issue, I would be surprised if they did not go to strictly a vaccine required policy in the future. This is becoming seemingly common for sporting and music events in the area.

After seeing the recent surges across the country, when we all assumed this would be gone a long time ago, I don't think making any predictions for the future is a good bet. FL just had a week where there were over 2400 Covid deaths in a week :(

• Options
    edited September 2021

Ok don't get a jab, just get vaccinated lol, then tests aren't needed. Easy fix. You have had probably 8 or so in your life already, what's one more? The CDC and WHO has said that Covid is here forever and will be just like the Flu, mutating every year, and requiring a new vaccination for each form (Or booster shots if you want to call them). I, and most people get Flu shots every year, and I haven't had the flu in about 12 years (Ever since I started to get the shots)

And How do I know? Well lets see, we currently are at the 'Herd immunity' levels now with vaccinations, and recovered people, yet here we are with the highest number of infections and people in hospital since last winter, and no sign of it slowing...

And yeah I am a bit 'uppity' about it because I had a surgery I need canceled (Was supposed to be in surgery right now actually) because they had to convert all the recovery beds into ICU beds for OHSU... And I have an Aunt who broke her hip, but had to wait 10 days to get into have it fixed with surgery, because she was 'stable', and not in immediate need of surgery'

So again, I am hoping for the same if not more stringent requirements like all attendees requiring vaccination. (I feel the majority would be with me considering the fact neither me or my PAX buddies say anything but the cloth bands at PAX.)

Lastly I do appreciate your willingness to get the tests to attend, and while I would never force the vaccination on anyone, it may become more of a 'You must have it to do this X thing' in the future with the rules Biden is setting in place.

Bluemeane on
    jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    wolfemancs wrote: »

Even if we disagree on this point, I would like to profusely thank you for following through with the admittedly annoying test procedures rather than trying to fake your way to a vaccinated wrist band.

Did people actually do this???

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    cbellevie wrote: »

If it were still an issue, I would be surprised if they did not go to strictly a vaccine required policy in the future. This is becoming seemingly common for sporting and music events in the area.

After seeing the recent surges across the country, when we all assumed this would be gone a long time ago, I don't think making any predictions for the future is a good bet. FL just had a week where there were over 2400 Covid deaths in a week :(

Agreed, things are definitely not on the 'downhill/recovery' phase yet. We are still technically in the first wave as we never really got anywhere close to 'zero' to signal the end of a wave...

This is my last comment on this as it is now well off topic, but it would be in best interest for PAX, and really any convention of large scale to just require vaccination proof.

See you all next year my friends!!!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    edited September 2021

If anything, the people doing covid checks need to be more thoroughly trained, because they almost offered me a black wristband on two separate occasions despite me going the testing route.

That is pure discrimination on the basis of medical status. Why would someone who has had and recovered from Covid, and therefor is immune, need to get a vaccine? Especially since that the vaccines don't even protect you from contracting and spreading the virus?

RavenHusky on
    tw787Xr.png

• Options

If anything, the people doing covid checks need to be more thoroughly trained, because they almost offered me a black wristband on two separate occasions despite me going the testing route.

They seemed thoroughly bored to be sure.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

They announced 93% of the show was vaccinated. Which means about 1 in 14 people weren't. And that would include young children and any others who couldn't get vaccinated. So overall it looks like most the vast majority of PAXers who could get vaccinated did.

YoungFrey on
  • Options

That is pure discrimination on the basis of medical status. Why would someone who has had and recovered from Covid, and therefor is immune, need to get a vaccine? Especially since that the vaccines don't even protect you from contracting and spreading the virus?

It is not discrimination on the basis of medical status... It is a public health issue. No different than requiring a t-shirt, and shoes to enter a business. A private company can put any requirements on an event they want to, There are already lots of venues doing this (Requiring proof of vaccination status to attend a concert for example)

It is not discriminating against you, or anyone else. It is putting a requirement for entry. Schools do it in every state. You can't send your kid to public school (And a LOT of private ones as well) without proof of vaccinations, unless there is a 'My kid will die from this vaccination' issue, and even then they can impart strict rules on that child. So yeah no, you are wrong.

You don't have to go to these things, and if you want to, and they require it, get the shot, simple. Their event, they control the rules for entry. They could say 'Only people over 40', and you can't go and say 'This is age discrimination!!!'. It is a private event, and one they get to choose the rules for.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options

Why would someone who has had and recovered from Covid, and therefor is immune, need to get a vaccine? E

Uhhhhh can you show me anywhere that there is medical proof you are 'immune' once you have had it? They have said many times, they are not sure you can't still get it. And that this is most likely going to be like the flu, and you need a new shot every year because of mutations..... There are already cases where someone had the original virus, and then again caught the delta variant. Hell there are (lots) of cases where someone had the shot, and STILL caught covid....

If you already had it why would you be afraid of the shots? It is JUST the virus in a small, and weakened form so your body can build immunities to it.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    I know that other people have received the email from PAX letting them know they will be getting 25% off next year, and early access to badges, but I never got it, despite going to this year's PAX. I also can't get pax_questions' email to answer me. Anyone else having the same problem?

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Reminder from earlier this year: arguing about vaccinations is off topic for this thread. the policy existed and the show occurred with it.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    midna wrote: »
    I know that other people have received the email from PAX letting them know they will be getting 25% off next year, and early access to badges, but I never got it, despite going to this year's PAX. I also can't get pax_questions' email to answer me. Anyone else having the same problem?
    Was yours the email that purchased the badges? If not, that's probably why. If so, maybe keep at it? I've not heard of this policy though.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Was yours the email that purchased the badges? If not, that's probably why. If so, maybe keep at it? I've not heard of this policy though.

What Zerzhul said. Keep emailing them, they will respond, they are probably in low employee mode, and focusing on next year already :)

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

What Zerzhul said. Keep emailing them, they will respond, they are probably in low employee mode, and focusing on next year already :)
    Same problem - no discount/early purchase email, no survey email, no reply to multiple emails sent to pax_questions. Not sure what is going on.

The last email I received from PAX was "Important Health & Safety Information" on 9/6 - complete silence since then.

Some people on the pax community discord seem to be having the same problem as well.

every day's great on
  • Options
    So two weeks out and I'm not hearing any PAX pox (or delta) superspreader disaster stories!

Is it possible that the health/safety strategies actually worked? :surprised:

• Options

Yes, I was the one who purchased the badges. PAX_questions is usually really great about reaching out to me, but I never got a reply. I might try again today, but it was really off putting that they never got back to me...

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

• Options
    edited October 2021

Yes, I was the one who purchased the badges. PAX_questions is usually really great about reaching out to me, but I never got a reply. I might try again today, but it was really off putting that they never got back to me...
    Same here, no replies; it's (very) frustrating that PAX_questions has turned into an email black hole. :mad:

every day's great on
  • Options

Same here, no replies; it's (very) frustrating that PAX_questions has turned into an email black hole. :mad:

Yes!! I have emailed them 3-4 times, and the last two times was just asking if they even received my emails. I checked my spam box, and trash, and everything else. I want to make sure they're aware that I attended this year's PAX...

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

• Options

Well here we are a year later, and the virus is still with us, and there is no herd immunity, and new, scary like the first round version of the virus. I do hope they require the same test results, or vaccinations for this year. It would behoove them to do so.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Well here we are a year later, and the virus is still with us, and there is no herd immunity, and new, scary like the first round version of the virus. I do hope they require the same test results, or vaccinations for this year. It would behoove them to do so.
    There is always the possibility that things will be better come September, but if things continue the way they have for the past two years then we'll be seeing covid surges with ever-more-infectious variants every few months.

I imagine though that testing might be more available this time around. They could also accept rapid antigen tests to help with turnaround time.

I don't know whether Novavax is any more effective than Pfizer/Moderna but it may provide another option for people who are hesitant about mRNA vaccines in particular. Unfortunately new covid variants seem better at evading waning immunity from vaccination as well as prior infection.

It's nice to hear that RavenHusky followed the PAX covid policy honestly and even rejected an inaccurate wristband that he was offered by mistake. In general PAX attendees seem to have been great about following covid policy (I only heard about a couple of wristband cheaters) and essentially nobody got sick from West 2021. As far as I can tell Unplugged and East went well also.

every day's great on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    There is always the possibility that things will be better come September, but if things continue the way they have for the past two years then we'll be seeing covid surges with ever-more-infectious variants every few months.

I imagine though that testing might be more available this time around. They could also accept rapid antigen tests to help with turnaround time.

I don't know whether Novavax is any more effective than Pfizer/Moderna but it may provide another option for people who are hesitant about mRNA vaccines in particular. Unfortunately new covid variants seem better at evading waning immunity from vaccination as well as prior infection.

It's nice to hear that RavenHusky followed the PAX covid policy honestly and even rejected an inaccurate wristband that he was offered by mistake. In general PAX attendees seem to have been great about following covid policy (I only heard about a couple of wristband cheaters) and essentially nobody got sick from West 2021. As far as I can tell Unplugged and East went well also.

Covid is likely endemic at this point, and people are just going to have to learn to live with it, just like the annual flu and common cold. Everything else has opened back up at this point, PAX should as well, and let people choose whether or not to go based on their own risk tolerance.

Also, with the heavy politicization of the mRNA vaccines, not to mention the nasty adverse reactions that have been documented from them, anyone who has already chosen to reject the vaccines isn't going to be convinced otherwise. I'm also pretty sure that most of the world is over Covid given all the other problems going on in the world right now.

Edit: Looks like PA/Reedpop are choosing to discriminate against those who have legitimate objections to the covid vaccines. Maybe I'll be back in 2023 if they realize that the vaccines are doing more harm than good.

RavenHusky on
    tw787Xr.png

This discussion has been closed.