As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I think at this point the one, real, genuine fuck up was in thinking $300 was going to be a steep enough pricetag to prevent them having too many canon characters to deal with. Either it should have been its own separate add-on (sort of where it ended up with the credit option) or been placed only in the highest tiers. Like Galaxy Cmdr for named character, Khan for artwork. Still would have left them several hundred names to use, and well over a hundred drawn characters.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I think at this point the one, real, genuine fuck up was in thinking $300 was going to be a steep enough pricetag to prevent them having too many canon characters to deal with. Either it should have been its own separate add-on (sort of where it ended up with the credit option) or been placed only in the highest tiers. Like Galaxy Cmdr for named character, Khan for artwork. Still would have left them several hundred names to use, and well over a hundred drawn characters.

I think the big thing was the $300 tier was still a great tier if all you REALLY were motivated by was minis. A custom character should have been +$X with no other tangible benefit.

What is this I don't even.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I totally would have gotten one, but I had somehow misread the tiers, which left me thinking I could get more stuff via add-ons than going up to the $300 tier and getting fewer (turned out the higher tier added more mini packs, enough to negate the difference). By the time I'd realized my mistake, issues with the canon character had begun to crop up so I made one attempt to see if I could upgrade, and when the response came too late for submission and misunderstood what I was asking for (they just opened up the thing for changing your add-ons), I figured it wasn't worth fighting over it.

The only other thing I would've regretted (not getting a Fortress dropship) ended up being a blessing in disguise as the kit turned out to be pretty underwhelming from what I've seen.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I hope that ultimately they're very happy with the new Battletech enthusiasm. The big question I have is whether this will translate to long term value for the company and game, or if this was a one time nostalgia infusion. There's definitely a risk that I participate in this just enough to paint up some fancy minis, put them in my models case, and then don't spend money on the brand again for a long time. I hope I see others playing in stores and see more motivation to have a community instead.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I hope that ultimately they're very happy with the new Battletech enthusiasm. The big question I have is whether this will translate to long term value for the company and game, or if this was a one time nostalgia infusion. There's definitely a risk that I participate in this just enough to paint up some fancy minis, put them in my models case, and then don't spend money on the brand again for a long time. I hope I see others playing in stores and see more motivation to have a community instead.

Time will tell. The numbers they’ve been posting have been beyond excellent though. Which warms my heart.

A good indicator to me is that the ilClan sourcebook has seemed to sell quite well. Probably better than the last three, though that is just a gut feeling

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I'm seeing a ton of new player traffic in the FB groups I'm in, alongside GW converts in no small number.

I'm pretty confident that even if the majority of these players don't stick, the wider community of Battletech enthusiasts will still be larger and stronger for it.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    BattleTech has always seemed to have a small yet faithful community, and has benefitted from the various video games. I know the Catalyst guys tend to sing PGI’s praises for helping to keep a lantern going during the darker periods.

edited September 2021
    Yeah I’m not a big fan of PGI, but I do give them credit for reigniting that spark. Plus their redesigns are fantastic.

Without MWO I doubt the BATTLETECH or Clan Invasion Kickstarters would have done as well as they did.

Axen on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Yeah I’m not a big fan of PGI, but I do give them credit for reigniting that spark. Plus their redesigns are fantastic.

Without MWO I doubt the BATTLETECH or Clan Invasion Kickstarters would have done as well as they did.

I can attest to this. Without MWO (and PA, mainly the Oosiks) I would have not even known the Clan Invasion Kickstarter was around.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

I can attest to this. Without MWO (and PA, mainly the Oosiks) I would have not even known the Clan Invasion Kickstarter was around.

If it even would have existed

kx3klFE.png
    Absolutely. I'm really happy with it, I just mean to say that I hope the Kickstarter means mechs get sold more regularly and at least once in the rest of my life I see people playing Battletech at the flgs.

Absolutely. I'm really happy with it, I just mean to say that I hope the Kickstarter means mechs get sold more regularly and at least once in the rest of my life I see people playing Battletech at the flgs.

I was honestly considering becoming a CGL Demo Agent, before COVID, y'know to be the Battletech change you want to see in the world.

Then COVID happened, and the closest (10 minutes away, and awesomely set up) FLGS had to close down. And so....

🤬

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Where's the oof button.

I was a volunteer and judge for MW:DA but doubt I'd pick it back up again.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

If the numbers from the update people were talking about the other day were any indication, this was enough of an upsurge that even if only a small percentage of the increase margin sticks around long term, that would still be a considerable gain for the business.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited September 2021
    Now if my dude bro, whos the only one around that plays, wouldnt be so willy nilly with the ronas precautions so we could play again.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    Despite the lack of immediate community, I'm lucky enough to have three good-to-best friends that all are enthusiastic about and play Battletech.

The problem is, as always even prior to the 'rona, is finding a goddamn time to all get together to play.

The eternal problem continues to vex us all.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    First drop arrived today. 12 Salvage containers were left behind. Now to wait for the second ship to be released from the Jumpship.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I introduced one friend to it with AGOAC.

He signed up himself for the Clan Invasion Kickstarter.

I also may have sent him down the rabbit hole of the lore information on Sarna...

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Target lock aquired; launch in [x]. :D

TIL that because the world is fucked in its specific way (by copyright laws) the CGL CI KS wasn't available in Russia. So CGL licensed the AGOAC box (at least that box set, maybe more of the CI line, still researching) to a local game manufacturer who translated it into Russian, and then ran a complementary crowd funding campaign while the KS was running everywhere else.

Their stretch goals included multi-part model casts of a Marauder and an Atlas as limited-run collectors items.

Wild.

Its INFURIATING that unless i want a Packrat or Maxim transport, i have no other real option to transport an entire platoon in 1 vehicle in the 3025 era. Everything carries a squad, which is cool and all, but Alpha Strike is an entire platoon at the lowest level.

kx3klFE.png
    edited September 2021
    Do the "Heavy [type] APC"s not meet your needs?

A "Foot Platoon (Rifles)" is CAR3, and for instance the Heavy Hover APC has IT6, so room for two full platoons.

Nips on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

A "Foot Platoon (Rifles)" is CAR3, and for instance the Heavy Hover APC has IT6, so room for two full platoons.

There's even VTOL's from that era like the Marten, Vector, and Kestrel that have at least IT3 to carry a standard platoon.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited September 2021
    Nips wrote: »

Why they puttin introductory stuff in the 3060TRO? Dont they know my TROs on my shelf only go up to 3058?

sweet jesus i dont know what kind of funky search i was doing.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    i kinda wish i got the map packs for that nice, neat organized battlefield feel
    o0Ywi76.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Just had a great day of Alpha Strike.

Opened two of the new Lance Packs (Battle and Command, I think) and saw the points were 115 to 114.

Two and a half hours later, the final two mechs on each side (a Valkyrie and my Warhammer) finished each other off in the same shooting phase.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    Just had a great day of Alpha Strike.

Opened two of the new Lance Packs (Battle and Command, I think) and saw the points were 115 to 114.

Two and a half hours later, the final two mechs on each side (a Valkyrie and my Warhammer) finished each other off in the same shooting phase.

So you're saying no one won? How very on theme for Battletech.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    2 and a half hours for lance-on-lance feels less alpha strike and more vanilla tabletop to me.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »
    2 and a half hours for lance-on-lance feels less alpha strike and more vanilla tabletop to me.

Full Lance classic BT is up and over 4 hours whenever I get a chance to play. It can be a slog.

But yea, 2.5 hours for AS is a wee bit long. But not too horrible.

kx3klFE.png
    Apparently Catalyst has decided to turn the Stackpole novels into audio books, but they left it up to the person doing the reading to announce it:

zion11n3bco3.png

Nobody wrote: »
    Apparently Catalyst has decided to turn the Stackpole novels into audio books, but they left it up to the person doing the reading to announce it:

zion11n3bco3.png

I thought those already had audio book versions, but looking again it looks like they were only short abridged versions. I wonder if these are going to be the full books this time?

excusemewhatnow? guess MW5:Mercs isnt dead yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0da3dr5R4cM

kx3klFE.png
    Nope, far from it. There had been rumors of a new dlc for a while now but I think everybody was assuming Clan invasion

edited September 2021
    Yeah I think a lot of people forget about the 4th Succession War. I know I often do.

I sorta hope for maybe a MW6 that deals with the Clan Invasion. I enjoy MW5, but it has problems and short comings. Most of which can be blamed on the fact that PGI legit ran out of money before they could finish the game. Now that they have a new parent company and presumably more funding and resources I think I’d rather they do the Clan Invasion proper like instead of as DLC.

Axen on
    Yeah I think a lot of people forget about the 4th Succession War. I know I often do.

I sorta hope for maybe a MW6 that deals with the Clan Invasion. I enjoy MW5, but it has problems and short comings. Most of which can be blamed on the fact that PGI legit ran out of money before they could finish the game. Now that they have a new parent company and presumably more funding and resources I think I’d rather they do the Clan Invasion proper like instead of as DLC.

Its a good foundation, just fox what is there already.

But if this is the 4th succession war, i look forward for any reason to kick Lios teeth in.

kx3klFE.png
    Covering the 4th Succession War is interesting. Though I'm curious how that'll work in game due to how brief it was. You could literally miss most of that actual time just in travel around the map. Or your existing campaign may already be past that point in the timeline.

The 2nd Crucis Lancers were also deployed to just two planets during that war so I also wonder what their ideas are for the actual missions that will be involved.

Posted the announcement page over in the video game thread, looks like a scripted campaign and they’re adding melee, mech switching, new biomes, new missions, new variants

Posted the announcement page over in the video game thread, looks like a scripted campaign and they’re adding melee, mech switching, new biomes, new missions, new variants

hoooooooooo buddy. Finally i can roll in as a Banshee in sub 20 missions and punch faces in. The Hatchetman better be a prominent mech in the expansion.

kx3klFE.png
    Hatchetman is so far not listed for the expansion, but if Melee works out I can see a further mini-DLC with a few mechs like that

Hatchetman is so far not listed for the expansion, but if Melee works out I can see a further mini-DLC with a few mechs like that

thats buulllllllll crap. Its in the top 5 of my mech list of favorites

kx3klFE.png