As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World Flipper] - CyGames does a Pinball Gacha

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I think every gacha has three components:
    short loop - you are playing the game
    medium loop - you are optimizing your team/loadout/deck/etc based on what you have available
    long loop - you are acquiring resources to give you more options for the medium loop

My complaint is really with the short loop here. Comparing this to the only other gacha I've really spent any significant time on, FEH, there's just not much density to player actions. You hit the flipper, you dash, you activate specials.

FEH took the bold step of trivializing leveling up units, and this ruled for two reasons:
    1. It moved leveling up from long loop to short loop
    2. It allowed them to balance short loop content to the idea that you were bringing max-level units to the party.

I'm not sure what that looks like in WF. I always bounce off games that lock unit progression into the long loop. I really, really wanted to love FF:WotV, but it was hardcore about putting progression into a very long loop, too.

Because gacha games tend to have a linear ramp of difficulty, you're typically overpowered or hopelessly outmatched, just like Enlong said. That means that even if you find a difficulty sweet spot, it's always onward and upward until you cap.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Personally, I like the moment to moment gameplay, so far. A lot of the basic enemies can be taken down with just mashing, it’s true. But the boss fights (and even a few of the generic mini bosses) have been fun to fight. I like actually needing to aim my shots, use speed to guard attacks, and build a team with an internal strategy in mind.

Granted, I’m definitely still in the early game, and I’ve seen how power creep can wreck a gacha games own enjoyment by blowing well past what its mechanics were designed for. I hope the game stays fun for me, basically.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    only real swaglords

ocs9642kiwc1.png

Hmm hm hm.

So, I got Kazuchi in a recent pull. I’ve now got 3 characters focused on Fever time. Kazuchi, Claw, and Amelia.

Kiiinda makes me want to try putting together a Fever-focused team, just to see how effective that can be.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Oh wait did they unlock a new world in the story today? It was to be continued yesterday but there seems to be more now.

BahamutZERO.gif
    More after Yamato, you mean?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Another ten pull today got me Marina and Clarisse. All this time I was hoping to put together a good dark team, I stumbled into a fire team instead.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Enlong wrote: »
    More after Yamato, you mean?

Yeah the next one after that.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Damn, got 1500 beads in the mail today

Pulled Celtie and Clarisse. I've got some solid characters now!

Stole a light team build from the internet and am running
    Ellya/Keira
    Sha Suzu/Owlbert
    Razelt/Finn

and that's pretty good. It doesn't kill super fast but it doesn't die and it seems pretty strong and will get better as I develop the mana board. Gotta figure out a good team for Celtie and/or Clarisse though, I hear wind teams are good and Celtie is crazy good?

So, how good is Murakumo? The prospect of farming 500 gold denarii from an advanced boss is pretty daunting, but I'll do it if the character is worth getting.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Murakumo is a fantastic sub for Rams

I have lucked out and gotten 2 of the boss coin characters randomly as loot from the bosses so far

BahamutZERO.gif
    Yeah. The lower difficulty bosses can drop silver coins, and sometimes gold ones. Whereas the Advanced bosses can outright drop the character you'd farm silver coins for.

Oh, and it looks like the boss I'm asking about can drop Murakumo as a reward. That boss only has an Advanced form, so that makes some sense. I guess, then, that the 500 gold coins option is more of a pity mechanic than anything else. If you're unlucky in getting Murakumo to drop, every victory at least gets you closer to getting the character.

Aww man, I hit the end of the current story. Right when it's getting to something more interesting than themed worlds, too.

Not that I mind the themed worlds (the story they did with Nimbus was neat), but I'm interested to see where things are actually going with Light.

if I know gacha, prepare for that to be dangled in front of you for 5 years

BahamutZERO.gif
    Funny thing is, I think I already know more about Light and Stella than I know about, say, Elarra in Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

really miffed that that game ended its dedicated story mode at a pretty nothing point, and now we've got no clue when/if it'll advance in any other way.

how many little 1 and 2 star characters are there that randomly(?) drop? I've gotten a lightning slime, a fire imp, a lightning porcupine thing, and the owl boss.

BahamutZERO.gif
    There's also a blue slime, a red slime, Kamitachi, and a golem.

You can also get Shroombo as a 1 star unit, but not through battle drops or the gacha.
    On the main menu, hit the button that says "Town", and you can see characters on a map of the village. Shroombo will be there somewhere. Tap him, and you'll get him as a playable character. He's a surprisingly decent little guy.

lol, I turned my Fire team into a Multiball-focused team.

That's some real dumb fun, just filling the screen with bombs and fireballs to launch off the flippers.

I wonder if you put a pierce effect on bomb-type multiballs if they explode without disappearing? that'd be cool but probably kind of OP, so far the pirate lady is the only unit I've gotten with persistent multiballs, and they're not a lot of damage but they're great for hitting soft spots and for raising the combo counter for bigger power flips.

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited September 2021
    Not sure about that. I’ll check it out later if I have the opportunity.

I do know that if you have persistent multi balls, and a Support character as your lead, the multi balls will gain the Pierce/Levitate effect, from the support-type Power Flip. I think that’s the only Power Flip that applies to multiballs, too.

Haven’t tested it with bomb type multiballs, or Pierce applied through abilities.

If you want to go all in on multiballs, there are some characters who, when set as leader, give multiballs a 120% power boost. The little witch and the dude riding a penguin (both 3-stars) are the ones I’ve found.

But, given this game’s shoddy translation effort in the profiles, I don’t know if that’s actually a more than double power boost, or if it’s meant to say it boosts multiball power to 120%.

Enlong on
    oh so they only added a single stage to the 7th chapter lol

BahamutZERO.gif
    Yyyyeah.

They’re really gonna drag out this world in particular, it seems.

Hahaha yessss.

I did another pull today (ex rewards are amazing, but limited). Most of it was a sea of duplicates and teases (why even do the plinko animation for non-upgrades), but the 10th one was Sha Suzu! Now we’re in business!

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i chased sha suzu on the launch banner

i have no one but myself to blame for the results (no sha suzu, most of the 5* units, depleted currency)

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Fire Multiball is probably the best Fire build currently, it gets some nice support with the next non-limited Fire 5* too

Maddoc wrote: »
    Fire Multiball is probably the best Fire build currently, it gets some nice support with the next non-limited Fire 5* too

I’m guessing the basic skeleton for that starts with Hanabi, Marnie, and Marina?

edited September 2021
    Yep, pretty much

I run Marina, Enni, Hanabi main with Marnie subbed somewhere

And Hanabi lead is better for short fights

Maddoc on
    In the absence of Marina and Enni, I’m trying something of a hybrid multiball/power flip fire team. Hanabi paired with Gilsarad for Power Flip damage, and Marnie paired with Shroombo to boost leader and power flip damage. The middle slot is Lilal and Elise. Elise makes enemies more vulnerable to fire, and Lilal gains Skill gauge whenever another fire unit uses an ability. Hanabi with Gilsarad has a very small meter, so that will be happening often. Can probably swap Hanabi and Marnie’s positions for longer fights.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I can't believe they made Jesus a 3 star Dark Warrior.

uwgo90kacbg1.png

you'd think a Jesus would be at least 4 star.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    not in japan i wouldn't

liEt3nH.png
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I'm caught up on the story, guess I can run through the EX stages now. Also spending all my stamina on farming up mana board mats.

Decided to switch my team around to an all out fire skill damage team, since I have Clarisse's mana board filled to the point where she gives +125% Fire Skill damage. The team is:
    Clarisse/Vyron
    Enni/Sha Suzu
    Lilial/Bianca

When I can just unload skills on things they melt super fast, and will melt even faster when I can finish out these mana boards. Also have Clarisse/Vyron equipped with a Flux Spear (and a Flux Spear Core)for the +Pierce damage.

Cruor on
    gnome cursed me with owl-lust and now I'm also trying to fully uncap owlbert

BahamutZERO.gif
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm caught up on the story, guess I can run through the EX stages now. Also spending all my stamina on farming up mana board mats.

Decided to switch my team around to an all out fire skill damage team, since I have Clarisse's mana board filled to the point where she gives +125% Fire Skill damage. The team is:
    Clarisse/Vyron
    Enni/Sha Suzu
    Lilial/Bianca

When I can just unload skills on things they melt super fast, and will melt even faster when I can finish out these mana boards. Also have Clarisse/Vyron equipped with a Flux Spear (and a Flux Spear Core)for the +Pierce damage.

Consider putting Sha Suzu main, and equip Clarisse with a Whitetail Axe

Tricky thing there is that whichever slot has Sha Suzu as main doesn’t get the effect of Clarisse’s leader bonus anymore. Then again? A maxed-out Whitetail Axe gives the wielder the same 125% skill damage boost if used after a Thunder unit’s skill.

I’m not sure how the math shakes out there.

edited September 2021
    it helps you concentrate your damage bonuses on a single unit
    it's kind of funny the way they keep shoving apology gems in the mailbox without any explanation for what they're apologizing for

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Sha Suzu doesn't deal damage with her skill anyway, so it doesn't matter that she doesn't get Clarisse's leader bonus

The goal is to boost Clarisse's damage as high as possible

Maddoc wrote: »
    Sha Suzu doesn't deal damage with her skill anyway, so it doesn't matter that she doesn't get Clarisse's leader bonus

The goal is to boost Clarisse's damage as high as possible

Ohhh, a d I just realized that Enni doesn’t do damage either. She’s like Jay, and just inflicts ailments.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's extremely funny how farming regitare is still just like "alright guess that orb's gonna kill someone soon as we start" because everyone's still baby and squishy

liEt3nH.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    it's extremely funny how farming regitare is still just like "alright guess that orb's gonna kill someone soon as we start" because everyone's still baby and squishy

You can avoid it and it will disappear in ten seconds or so.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter