As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] coming to Nintendo Switch

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    So I’m doing the Expedition on PS5, and I want to build a Minotaur pad, but I can’t, it says “Maximum 5 per planet” and “0 are available”.
    I can’t build another pad either. And that 2 hours to the nearest drop pod is really far.

What am I missing (I have the ingredients, I was near a base) ?

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    You're not missing anything, it's just an annoying bug related to having so many players on a planet (even if you have multiplayer off).

Try going far away from where you are and trying again. Sometimes I think bases are overlapping and it's not showing you, or something to that effect.

It happened to me, and I just started moving in a direction and eventually (maybe 1000u or so) in the middle of nowhere it let me plop it down.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I need one more mineral! Also I swear to god the game crashed my xbox. Like I was waiting for some minerals to process and then my xbox was off and what? Hopefully that's not a sign of something else bad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    You're not missing anything, it's just an annoying bug related to having so many players on a planet (even if you have multiplayer off).

Try going far away from where you are and trying again. Sometimes I think bases are overlapping and it's not showing you, or something to that effect.

It happened to me, and I just started moving in a direction and eventually (maybe 1000u or so) in the middle of nowhere it let me plop it down.
    Thanks, it worked!

I called my ship Celery because I never want to go on that toxic planet with the Giant Celery sticks again :lol:

Flew to the Rendez-vous 1 planet, found a mineral deposit place few steps away from that big Rendez-vous tower, and now 3 Mineral Extractors attached to a Silo powered by 4 or 5 solar panels, 4 batteries and 2 biofuel generators are stomping away, sucking Magnetized Ferrite out of the ground. Should be an hour’s work to get 1200 minerals.

On the initial planet, at my starter base, there was a mineral deposit of the mineral Ammonia withva yield of 0%, so that was bloody useless :sad: 2/hr is not interesting when you need 1000.
    So yeah, Ammonia is detected as a mineral (I didn’t use the wrong scanner), so beware of that bug.

Also, the Rendez-vous planet is a nice flat surface, great for the Acrobat Milestone.

Completed the Expedition! :biggrin:

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What are expeditions? Having not played in a couple years, I’m not sure what it is.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What are expeditions? Having not played in a couple years, I’m not sure what it is.

It's how I started the game - it's like you start a new game with a crafted roadmap. You'll start on a particular planet and have to go to a particular point and follow breadcrumbs to an ultimate goal, with a lot of high resource items given to you.

Oh brilliant

It's how I started the game - it's like you start a new game with a crafted roadmap. You'll start on a particular planet and have to go to a particular point and follow breadcrumbs to an ultimate goal, with a lot of high resource items given to you.

Are you free to keep playing and exploring on that character after the expedition? I assume this is their version of seasonal play? Are these temporary characters?

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular

Are you free to keep playing and exploring on that character after the expedition? I assume this is their version of seasonal play? Are these temporary characters?

Based on the one I did (last time around), the character should be translated into a regular character once you finish. It also granted some fun 'Account' unlocks, so if you want to go back to a previous character or start fresh it may still be worth doing.

Finally can fly! God damn I must have missed a shit ton of space ports as I trudged around the whole fucking world and through like 4 oceans! But the joy of clearing the hour distances in minutes was like OH BUDDY!

The pilgrim was my only friend.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Aaarrrrrrggghhhh!

I started the Expedition last night, and played somewhere between 2-3 hours. I was having a ton of fun with it!

I could've sworn that getting into your ship was the way you saved in this game. That's how I remember it working from the last time I played, which was like 2+ years ago. Anyway, my PS5 decided to auto update overnight, which closed the software for NMS, and I lost nearly 2 hours of gameplay, and a shitload of progress.

I had found a burial site with some dino bones in it, and I was sitting on like 2 million credits. And I had made some pretty good progress on the Expedition too. And I lost so much. So very much. I am feeling utterly defeated right now. Bleh.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Aaarrrrrrggghhhh!

I started the Expedition last night, and played somewhere between 2-3 hours. I was having a ton of fun with it!

I could've sworn that getting into your ship was the way you saved in this game. That's how I remember it working from the last time I played, which was like 2+ years ago. Anyway, my PS5 decided to auto update overnight, which closed the software for NMS, and I lost nearly 2 hours of gameplay, and a shitload of progress.

I had found a burial site with some dino bones in it, and I was sitting on like 2 million credits. And I had made some pretty good progress on the Expedition too. And I lost so much. So very much. I am feeling utterly defeated right now. Bleh.

Ouch, it's ackshyually exiting your ship is what saves. Also using a manual save point or region beacon.

That's weird, because I was in and out of my ship a lot, taking cover from the toxic rain and such. I don't know why it wasn't saving.

edited September 2021
    With a bit of grit and determination this morning, I think I was able to quickly push back through to where I was last night. I remembered where most of the things from last night were located, so re-finding them was pretty simple. I didn't get as good of a random draw on the dinosaur bones, but I at least found them again. Also found a whole bunch more Storm Crystals than I found last night.

I know you need 3 Storm Crystals as part of repairing your ship. Beyond that, is there any reason to keep the extras that I have? Or should I be selling them on the Galactic Market for credits?

Lucascraft on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Do yourself a favor and make a save beacon/point asap. You’re going to spend a lot of time out of your ship and far away.

It’s “portable” tech you can place anywhere. You can pick it back up and take it with you after using it.

I found the manual saves from the portable beacon/point to be less likely to “roll back” after a crash.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, I found that. It appears they start you with one of those in your backpack as part of Expedition mode. I just didn't realize it until it was too late.

I'm still wondering about what to do with excess Storm Crystals, but I've got another Expedition mode question now too, related to the rewards.

I don't know if people consider the Expedition rewards to be spoilers or not, but just out of caution I'll put this in spoiler tags.
    The final reward appears to be an egg that hatches an off-brand Xenomorph, which can be tamed as a pet.

Having been away from the game for 2+ years, I don't have any experience with tamable pets in this game, so assuming I'm able to complete my Expedition and get my Dr. Thunder version of a Xeno, here are some questions:

1) Do tamed pets fight with you during combat?
    2) Are tamed pets able to go on spaceships and fly around the galaxy with you, or are they tied to the planet they come from?[
    3) Once you have an Expedition reward on your account, can it be claimed for each restart or each new save file that you start? Or is it a one-time-only use and then it's gone forever?

I haven't decided yet whether I want to make this Expedition character my new "main" or not. I'm a bit skittish about how account unlocks work in this game since I don't have any first hand experience with it. I guess the same could be true for those Twitch drops that I earned. I got day 2, 3, and 4 Twitch drops, so those should be available to me whenever I am able to claim them. But I'm also curious if those twitch drops can be claimed once per save file?

Lucascraft on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Damn, I missed the last day of Twitch rewards!

Oh well, I was just trying to save myself Quicksilver for whenever I see people here saying the game is finally stable.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I found that. It appears they start you with one of those in your backpack as part of Expedition mode. I just didn't realize it until it was too late.

I'm still wondering about what to do with excess Storm Crystals, but I've got another Expedition mode question now too, related to the rewards.

I don't know if people consider the Expedition rewards to be spoilers or not, but just out of caution I'll put this in spoiler tags.
    The final reward appears to be an egg that hatches an off-brand Xenomorph, which can be tamed as a pet.

Having been away from the game for 2+ years, I don't have any experience with tamable pets in this game, so assuming I'm able to complete my Expedition and get my Dr. Thunder version of a Xeno, here are some questions:

1) Do tamed pets fight with you during combat?
    2) Are tamed pets able to go on spaceships and fly around the galaxy with you, or are they tied to the planet they come from?[
    3) Once you have an Expedition reward on your account, can it be claimed for each restart or each new save file that you start? Or is it a one-time-only use and then it's gone forever?

I haven't decided yet whether I want to make this Expedition character my new "main" or not. I'm a bit skittish about how account unlocks work in this game since I don't have any first hand experience with it. I guess the same could be true for those Twitch drops that I earned. I got day 2, 3, and 4 Twitch drops, so those should be available to me whenever I am able to claim them. But I'm also curious if those twitch drops can be claimed once per save file?
    Re: questions
    1. I don't thiiiiiiink pets fight but I also haven't played much with them. Very possible that they do.
    2. You can summon them anywhere (the storage system is reminiscent of a team of Pokemon) but they will only lay eggs on planets that match their original biome.
    3. Expedition rewards should be claimable on any save file as far as I know.

It's very easy to tame creatures, just give them a food pellet and then interact with them to claim them so feel free to try it out.

edited September 2021
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Oh well, I was just trying to save myself Quicksilver for whenever I see people here saying the game is finally stable.

The last couple days have been very stable for me. Settlement is doing what I assume it was meant to do all along, and has some actual function.

Expedition stopped crashing, but I suspect that may have had more to do with me turning off multi-player.

So you'll probably not be frustrated, but we may still be in "save often" mode.

Another thing about pets:
    They are often a much better way to travel around than an exocraft. You can summon them anywhere, they "auto-run", and don't destroy rocks and stuff which gets you in trouble with sentinals. There are some deer-like creatures on the expedition planet that I found pretty speedy. When you've got to go "30 minutes away" to something important, you can use companion cruise control heh.

akjak on
    After me and the pilgrim went cross country I'm ride or die pilgrim.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I found a spot on the Expedition world to drop my land claim and base. But it has been a long time since I did any base building in this game.

Having played a ton of Valheim lately, I'm wondering if NMS has any sort of way to flatten land or raise/lower terrain without being quite so destructive with the Terrain Manipulator beam on your multitool? I'd love to be able to raise/lower terrain like you can do with the hoe in Valheim.

If raise/lower terrain isn't possible, is there a way to move building pieces on the Z-axis? I was trying to place a floor tile earlier and the ground was a little uneven, which made my tile clip into the earth. I'd like to raise the Z-axis and raise the tile maybe 6" up so it doesn't clip the ground.

There's a function on the Terrain Manipulator to flatten land down to the level you're currently standing. It's effectiveness will somewhat depend on what kind of planet and terrain the Expedition planet is made of. By that I mean some grassy worlds or toxic worlds or fire worlds are more inclined to work with the flatten option than others.

To my knowledge there's no way to move and place items along a Z axis unless this newest upgrade changed that.

edited September 2021
    I haven't had a crash since the first patch or two after Frontiers released. Steam says I've played 65 hours in the past two weeks, and I haven't had a single crash, or any real problem other than a couple of minor irritants in the expedition (all of which have been addressed in subsequent patches, including this morning). I started a save file from scratch and have done pretty much everything guided in the game (all main questlines, extra stuff like Living Ship, etc) and the only bug I've had is on a mission on the Nexus, it wanted me to kill whispering horrors, but it only sent me to underwater buildings that can't spawn them, so I kept having to find some above water to actually get it done, and it took forever.

Honestly I'd say that the game is as stable as it's ever been right now, and you're safe to play.

As far as the movement of building things on the Z axis, not exactly, but you can turn on free placing, and you can stack things up to put something where you want.

For the flooring example, you can just turn on free placement, stack up a few in one spot to get them over the base landscape you don't want to alter, delete the bottom one(s) and turn back off free placement so that you can snap from there. You can use this trick to put a lot of things where they wouldn't otherwise go; but free placement doesn't mean you can place anything anywhere, there are still some restrictions that you'll have to figure out (it's different for all sorts of items).

To get terrain where you want it, and flat, you can just create a bunch of terrain and then use the flatten tool to bring it to the level you want. It's tedious, and honestly I wouldn't put too much stock in it, unless you're just at a point where you're mostly happy to settle down and not spend a ton of time out in the universe, and specifically not using your terrain manipulator very much. The game warns you that there are terrain edit limits, but what it doesn't tell you is that these limits don't just apply to your base, it applies to all terrain edits you make, anywhere, on any world, on any system; and once you cross a threshold of edits, it begins "forgetting" the old ones. So, say, you find a good planet early on in your play, find a great base location, but you just want to make some edits to the terrain to make it just right. Afterward, you decide to explore the universe, dig up salvage data up the wazoo, maybe make yourself an island in the middle of the ocean to call your ship on if you don't want to swim forever back to where it's at. It just all adds up, and you can return at some point to your original base and have those terrain edits lost. I've had it happen to me!

I mean, do what you want! I just wouldn't advise relying on a lot of terrain editing for making a base that you want to use, more than just show off, because you might have to just do it all over again. My personal advice is to build to the terrain you have, and if you want flat, find as flat as you can first. I know that's easier said than done. If you want a cave base, find a cool cave! Seriously don't try to dig your own, because there's a near 100% chance you will, at some point, have that base completely filled with rock.

EDIT: For the life of me I can't get the encounters that give you living ship upgrades to trigger at all. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Always build above grade in NMS.

There's a limit to how much terrain editing any save can contain. This encompasses all Terrain Manipulator activity in Mine, Flatten, and Create modes. Once the limit is reached that save will forget old terrain edits for new ones. This means unless you use the Terrain Manipulator Restore mode to refill every hole you ever dig gathering items, eventually just digging stuff up will cause terrain on your bases to reset.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    akjak wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

The last couple days have been very stable for me. Settlement is doing what I assume it was meant to do all along, and has some actual function.

Expedition stopped crashing, but I suspect that may have had more to do with me turning off multi-player.

So you'll probably not be frustrated, but we may still be in "save often" mode.

Another thing about pets:
    They are often a much better way to travel around than an exocraft. You can summon them anywhere, they "auto-run", and don't destroy rocks and stuff which gets you in trouble with sentinals. There are some deer-like creatures on the expedition planet that I found pretty speedy. When you've got to go "30 minutes away" to something important, you can use companion cruise control heh.

One of the Twitch Drop items was a flying moth-snake. Really chill to flap around on its back.

I used the "gene editor" type station in the Anomaly on the egg, so my boy is Large and Industrious <3

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Expedition 3: You won't need more than 3 Storm Crystals for Expedition milestones. Feel free to use the rest for cash to buy all the Life Support and Ion Batteries you could want.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    I fucking knew when I could fly I would find a trade port close to my home base, and there was one within an hour of on foot distance. God fucking damn it. I FUCKING KNEW I WENT TO THE ASS END TO FIND SOMETHING CLOSE BY!!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Feel like I was denied critical need to know information about whispering eggs. Someone said that's where you get larval whatevers to repair your ship and this is true. Someone also failed to mention when you hit one of those fucking eggs IT SUMMONS AN ARMY OF FUCKERS!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    I fucking knew when I could fly I would find a trade port close to my home base, and there was one within an hour of on foot distance. God fucking damn it. I FUCKING KNEW I WENT TO THE ASS END TO FIND SOMETHING CLOSE BY!!

The minotaur with a scanner can find them specifically. :(

EDIT: Or are you saying it sent you far away?

EDIT2:
    Feel like I was denied critical need to know information about whispering eggs. Someone said that's where you get larval whatevers to repair your ship and this is true. Someone also failed to mention when you hit one of those fucking eggs IT SUMMONS AN ARMY OF FUCKERS!

But that's why you weren't told! The fun is in finding out.

Well, maybe not so much finding out, but everyone who has already found out, hearing about someone else first finding out. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

My minotaur scanner did not find anything nearby, but apparently it was just being dumb!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    My closest trading post was 3 hours away :bigfrown:

It was a looooooong trek…

There are several ways to make/get Herox without going to trading post:

Make in Large Refiner (ammonia, cobalt, silver)
    Destroy Resource Depots (findable with minotaur scanner)
    Break into manufacturing facilities to learn recipe (findable with minotaur). Save scum if you chose the wrong option to gain access.
    Destroy “floating crystal” formations (yellow marker in scanner, 2 stars I think?)

There are several ways to make/get Herox without going to trading post:

Make in Large Refiner (ammonia, cobalt, silver)
    Destroy Resource Depots (findable with minotaur scanner)
    Break into manufacturing facilities to learn recipe (findable with minotaur). Save scum if you chose the wrong option to gain access.
    Destroy “floating crystal” formations (yellow marker in scanner, 2 stars I think?)

Also, on that specific planet, if you get a geode from rocks that give ferrite dust, you have a rare chance of getting a Herox when you use it.

I had never seen that before, but it's how I got mine for the expedition, so I figured it was unique to the expedition. But honestly I don't usually mine that much anyway, when I start a new file I usually quickly find a few ships to scrap and just buy whatever resources I need for the remainder of the game.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    That feeling when you load up an old save and get lost in your base.

I still haven't found a settlement in creative mode.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    My closest trading post was 3 hours away :bigfrown:

It was a looooooong trek…

That's effectively how far I went to get to the one I found. Like I had pinged a player settlment hours away and found the trade outpost just outside of it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    It did make me appreciate just how much shit is on one NMS planet. Like holy shit several oceans, crashed freightors etc.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    It did make me appreciate just how much shit is on one NMS planet. Like holy shit several oceans, crashed freightors etc.

I’m sure that’s the whole point of this expedition.

I’m sure that’s the whole point of this expedition.

Yeah it definitely felt like "here are all the things you probably ignore normally." And I definitely appreciated having a ship after I got one.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I feel like my experience was different for a long time. It seemed like all the original players except me were bombing through the universe at light speed, and I kept getting caught up on each new planet. It'd take me a day or two of playing to leave one system for another because there was still stuff to discover, and later guns and ships and parts and all new things to accumulate and collect.

Now that I've basically maxed out my credits and my tech and found some really top guns am close to having exactly the ships I want, I'm working on expanding storage on my freighter and trying to more or less cap out my nanites by all means necessary.

I swear I'll get to the core some day.

So I got a VR thing. It's cool.

I'm understating it.

I've got a question for anyone who plays the game in VR, though: Is there any way to have the movement (the smooth movement, not the jump-to movement) be based on where you are looking, instead of where the screen is centered? I checked every different option in the menu, and even though there are options for movement based on world, body, and head, they all do the exact same thing, so I don't really get it.

I guess I'd get used to it, but it's really jarring sometimes to have forward move me in a different direction than I'm looking. I'd much prefer an option that let my head control the direction like it works with the normal non-vr controls.

Also, I guess, is there any option I just didn't see, to have the HUD move with your head? or a button/movement combination I didn't see that recenters the HUD, without going into the menu for it?