As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    I never liked the bird-man Jade Falcon mechs from MW:DA, because they felt too much like something you'd see in a Sentai show (Power Rangers, Voltron, etc) or the Brave series (such as GaoGaiGar). And there's nothing wrong with that stuff, but it felt too out of place for this IP.
    ie: The Director at the time was way big in to samurai warrior spirit stuff and if anyone wanted that sweet, sweet Govt contract money they had to appeal to his sense of aesthetic. Logic be damned!

Thing is, the latter era Falcon 'mechs with Claws and Partial Wings are designed that way for the same reason as the samurai Combine machines: the Falcon council wanted to more exemplify their mascot animal during a wholesale revitalization of their 'Mech forces, and so their entire design program moves in the direction of Totem 'mechs.

It may be a bit anime, but it fits within the context of a Clan that's....a little off the deep end over Clan pride.

The big line for me is actuators and how it seems to move. A bunch of the DC mechs are still the industrial, boxy mechs but with shit welded on. The JF stuff looks like it's meant to walk and move like a human.

It's the difference between stompy bois and floaty Mecha. That's my distinction point.

What is this I don't even.
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    alright painters, its been months and my partial completions have gathered some massive dust bunnies. How do you get the dust off a primed and partially painted mini?

kx3klFE.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Use a large soft brush like a basting brush from your kitchen.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Do makeup brushes work on minis? I know I use it all the time on my toys and it is magical. Didn't think of basting brushes.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I hate the Phoenixhawk IIC. That's what the Incubus or Vapor Eagle should've been (either works but iirc the Incubus is a better fit).

I don't hate the PHX IIC (it's kind of neat, should've just been a new second-line Clan battlemech), but I agree with the rest of what you are saying.

Yeah sorry I guess I should have clarified. I don't hate the design itself, I hate it being called a Phoenixhawk. Heck, the new design is actually really cool
    635px-jh2t84hfhkm0brwtn88t9c82cblw05n.png

I just wish it wasn't, yknow, a Phoenixhawk! Hell, move one of the UACs from the Torso to the Arm and make it a Victor IIC!

Supposedly, the author that created the record sheet for FASA says it originally had a different name and was never intended to be related to the Phoenix Hawk. Which explains why it has a wildly different weapon layout and is a whopping 35 tons heavier where other IIC mechs only changed +/- 5-10 tons if at all.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Do makeup brushes work on minis? I know I use it all the time on my toys and it is magical. Didn't think of basting brushes.

Absolutely. I just mentioned a basting brush because that's what I also use on my Lego collection.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I hadn't seen that Howler/Baboon before. It looks like something from a Flintstones cartoon!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited September 2021
    The dropship left a package at the door of Oosik command for some guy named Mike Hawk. @Tox you know anything about this?

ya dirty rottin bastard you

Edit: Private Mike Hawk has checked the packing list and all seems to be in order. *salute*

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    How much is too much?

24ILtRj.jpg
    the answer is there is no such thing

missing from the picture is #10 still in the legendary box. to say im giddy would be an understatement.

kx3klFE.png
    Never talk to me or my sons again!

nwh26z0.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    That is a lot of angry mechs.

After looking at the pile of mechs I bought, I really need to sit down and update the spreadsheet with mechs I am willing to ship off to other members. First off I need to find time (and space) to sit down. So many mechs...

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »
    That is a lot of angry mechs.

After looking at the pile of mechs I bought, I really need to sit down and update the spreadsheet with mechs I am willing to ship off to other members. First off I need to find time (and space) to sit down. So many mechs...

*Watches the skies with a hopeful gleam in his eye*

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    "How many Mad Cats is too many?"

"I. . . I don't understand the question."

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The dropship left a package at the door of Oosik command for some guy named Mike Hawk. Tox you know anything about this?

Edit: Private Mike Hawk has checked the packing list and all seems to be in order. *salute*

Nice! I just got my box as well, s'all good!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    The dropship left a package at the door of Oosik command for some guy named Mike Hawk. @Tox you know anything about this?

It's nice to see that Mike Hawk is still able to stand up straight at full attention, should circumstances call for it.

Kinda salty that, after it's all said and done, there's exactly one IS 'mech I didn't get that I wanted - a Mongoose.

But hey, I got literally everything else I wanted, and I don't need that for my battalion, so it's all good! Plus I have a shitton more Clan 'mechs than I expected I'd want/get. So yay for that.

edited September 2021
    Also psst Tigliss is your trade info up to date on the spreadsheet? Speaking of clan mechs, I still kinda want a Mad Dog

Tox on
  • TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Also psst @Tigliss is your trade info up to date on the spreadsheet? Speaking of clan mechs, I still kinda want a Mad Dog

Shoot, I better update mine too, let me take a look.

l7n41RV.png
    edited September 2021
    Also psst @Tigliss is your trade info up to date on the spreadsheet? Speaking of clan mechs, I still kinda want a Mad Dog

You and apparently every collector on the planet.

I swear, I barely ever see any on the secondary market, and the ones that are are immediately, aggresive acquired.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I need to build a ilClan Kurita lance. Since the Dragon shall awaken, smash the Clanners, claim Terra and usher in 10,000 years of Peace under a new Star League.

So, y'know, I wanna do my part.

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »

Shoot, I better update mine too, let me take a look.

Past Tigliss made some strange mech pack decisions...

l7n41RV.png
    As I saw someone comment online: "Of course, he paints the Battletech equivalent of an Ultramarine."

Which, fair, even if the job is fantastic.

It’s so true!

So I picked back up plunking away on the QKD-8P. After consultation with the Assistant Chief MechTech (a.k.a. Mrs. Nips), I figured out a couple of things that were driving me crazy about the source art for the modular weapon arm. I'll save the rant, but I'd just like to say I feel like the TRO art should have been thought through a bit more rationally.

So I'm calling this upper arm done, and I'm off to start the modular lower arm/guns. After I let my brain rest a bit.

PEReQJsh.png

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    QKD-8P is one of Brent Evans' illustrations, isn't it? I don't want to be mean, after all he can certainly draw better than I ever could, but eh... The 8P is actually one of the better ones I've seen from him? The designs aren't all bad, but the art...

The Battleaxe
    wlg0x5v79n6j.jpg
    The Helepolis
    72qk6yjpqm7q.jpg
    The Koschei
    gh4dgwwl526q.jpg
    The Quickdraw 8X
    doxyo5vdphbf.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    wh

which TRO is this? I feel like I recognize some of those, at least.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    He apparently worked on quite a few. Most of these have 5 or more artists though:
    • TRO 3050 Upgrade (2007)
    • TRO 3075 (2008)
    • TRO 3085 (2010)
    • a lot of the Experimental Technical Readout series (2009-2015)
    • TRO Prototypes (2011)
    • TRO Succession Wars (2017)
    • TRO Jihad (2020)
    • TRO Golden Century (2020)
    • TRO Irregulars (2021)

According to the list on Sarna he doesn't appear to have worked on any of the Recognition Guides. Meanwhile, Plog and Scroggins (two of my favorites) seem to have worked on pretty much the entire RG series. Sarna doesn't have complete illustrator info for RG#18, and is missing any art info for any of the installments after that (#19-24).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited September 2021
    By the way, if you are wondering who did the Project Phoenix art (like, the entire TRO was one guy) and the bad redrawn art for the 'Solaris VII' battlemechs (loosely based on the Japanese edition Battlemech art) when they were added to the TRO 3055 Upgrade edition, it's Chris Lewis.

Now, I actually think the Project Phoenix stuff wasn't all bad, here's some of the ones I liked;
    The Ostscout
    s9v78b0ytkp0.jpg
    The Griffin
    c2a3yd32pjlj.jpg
    The Wolverine
    l3pxx7u59yni.jpg
    but 3055 Upgrade's redrawn art is pretty dire. Here's the Studio Nue art for the Marauder that the Solaris VII Colossus was based on:
    dyrzd0e47wwr.jpg
    Here's Lewis' rendition of the Colossus:
    cvfx0z63y9ic.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Yeah I always felt that the triplets* had the best art in Project Phoenix.

*Griffin, Shadowhawk, Wolverine; the three original/unseen 55 tonners from the box sets.

edited September 2021
    Battlemaster came out pretty good, too.
    ggvfuccn0cp6.jpg

Kind of funny that all four are designs based on mecha from Dougram.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited September 2021
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    but 3055 Upgrade's redrawn art is pretty dire. Here's the Studio Nue art for the Marauder that the Solaris VII Colossus was based on:
    dyrzd0e47wwr.jpg
    Here's Lewis' rendition of the Colossus:
    cvfx0z63y9ic.jpg

Holy shit, THAT was supposed to be a redraw of THAT? OMFG, that's got to be the worst reinterpretation I've ever seen.

I have never, ever liked the Colossus art, and now to learn its an abominable copy of something much cooler looking? Goddamn it!

I mean, I'm not even a little bit in love with that Japanese Marauder, it's way too much in the Anime style, but it deserved better than that.

And RE: PP art, I like it all generally, the only fault I find in it is it's all uniformly too skinny. This was then compounded when the miniatures started getting released; the mid-weights are fine, but as much as I love the PP Battlemaster (and I own, like, three or four), it's waaaaay too skinny. Putting it beside the new CGL sculpt (which I think could be a tad skinnier, really!) shines a pretty unfavorable light.

Nips on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Yeah I used to love the Colossus, and then I saw what they did with the redraw

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Had an awesome session today with the group's Kickstarter show n' tell (and also grilled burgs). Salvage boxes, force packs and maps were viewed in abundance, and we got through two rounds of our Circle of Equals tournament before my final round opponent had to head out. If our local store gets a steady Battletech crowd going, I can see that kind of tournament going over well as a seasonal thing, pairing off with a Grinder every few weeks.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    If you showed me that 3055 redraw of the Marauder I'd have 100% told you that you misspoke and meant King Crab.

It looks like a King Crab that showed up late having forgotten its arms.
    While borrowing some arms from a friend it was attacked by a griplies mob that decided that it also needed a cannon on the end of its non-excistent tail.

In other news, I forgot to open my main email since the middle of last week, and missed my shipping emails so now I only need to wait one day. :)

Best thing is that either I chose delivery to pickup location, or they were send by a cheaper delivery option, so I should have them tomorrow instead of waiting until after the national post surprisingly fails to find me at home in the middle of my work shift.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    Saw this on Reddit. what the hoof?

jGUl5Ac.png

kx3klFE.png
    Apparently it is legit, and it's mainly an internal thing at CGL. Apparently it was a gift for company staff? I dunno but, like

A N N I H

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I need to compare the Archer and Timber Wolf to the Legendary ones cuz the Archer looks a lot like it.

Nobody wrote: »
    I need to compare the Archer and Timber Wolf to the Legendary ones cuz the Archer looks a lot like it.

Arms are positioned wrong, I think it's just the regular one. 99% that's the Legendary Timber Wolf