As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cities: Skylines 2 Now Available

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I've filled out the city some more. I'm just over 250k cims and traffic is still flowing. This has absolutely been my most successful city design to date but it has taken a few mods to get there. I feel like I could possibly cram close to a million people into this map with all 25 map tiles unlocked.
    18h2xitt14wg.jpg
    s79f34j5yas3.jpg
    b7cvkqkuinnk.jpg
    5t3oy8v01kfu.jpg
    mmvuuqtzhv9s.jpg
    gqtnoujijzou.jpg
    jivtgfunzg6f.jpg
    hfoi0xayrgx4.jpg

That_Guy on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    When I do my grids I'm always increasing/decreasing the amount of lanes within each road to accommodate different traffic patterns. That way when someones turn is coming up I'll have my 3 lane road switch to a 2 lane after the intersection, which means all traffic for the current turn will be in one lane, all traffic for the next turn off will be in the middle lane. After the next turn off I expand from 2 to 3 lanes again, rinse/repeat.

The expanded roads mod helps substantially.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I started a city without precision engineering enabled oh noooooo

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've been playing this a bunch lately. I recently grabbed Industries and holy crap does successful industry expand your profits. My city is about 6k, and I have a level 4 Farming industry and a level 2 Ore industry, and my income is obscene.

I've been considering going down the Workshop rabbithole, but does that disable achievements like Stellaris? There's some great QOL mods there, like creating lakes without needing to manage outlet pipes and expanded roads, but I'm working my way through getting achievements.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Mods do disable achievements, but you can get a mod to enable them again. Achieve It! is one I haven't personally used but is a followup mod to the one I do use.

Be sure to check out the unique factories and build the ones you can supply. They are extremely profitable if you can set up a self-sufficient supply line.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I got a Bakery and Lemonade factory going already. I actually got the level 2 Ore industry going because I needed the Glass factory for bottles.

• Options
    The new industry dlc adds a lot of meat to the game. Something that Sim City 2013 did really well was supply chains. I really enjoyed the process of producing raw materials and turning them into finished products. This Skylines dlc finally brings that. I've had a lot of fun designing office parks. My most recent grid design came about in response to efficiently get materials from one industrial zone to another without pollution creeping into the residential zones around it.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Playing more, yeah Industries adds the most actual gameplay to the game out of any DLC. Even Mass Transit is plopping down some transport hubs and setting up some lines. It’s easy to fall into the gentle rhythm of watching the growth bars, and when they’re high, setting up a new block of whatever is needed as you cycle through population milestones, just making sure you have good coverage of leisure, education, emergency services, etc.

I’ve sat at one population milestone for the longest ever as I was setting up Oil and Forestry industries, levelling up all 4 industries and setting up supply chains for various factories.

My biggest gripe is Oil and Ore being finite. It’s realistic, but it seems to deplete too fast, and once gone you can’t supply those factories. Or is there a way to import some things you need?

Also do these custom industries count against the Industry growth bar? If I can do away with those polluting blocks of stuff I’ll be very happy.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Playing more, yeah Industries adds the most actual gameplay to the game out of any DLC. Even Mass Transit is plopping down some transport hubs and setting up some lines. It’s easy to fall into the gentle rhythm of watching the growth bars, and when they’re high, setting up a new block of whatever is needed as you cycle through population milestones, just making sure you have good coverage of leisure, education, emergency services, etc.

I’ve sat at one population milestone for the longest ever as I was setting up Oil and Forestry industries, levelling up all 4 industries and setting up supply chains for various factories.

My biggest gripe is Oil and Ore being finite. It’s realistic, but it seems to deplete too fast, and once gone you can’t supply those factories. Or is there a way to import some things you need?

Also do these custom industries count against the Industry growth bar? If I can do away with those polluting blocks of stuff I’ll be very happy.

Factories will automatically import what they can't source locally. The resources thing bugs me too so I usually play with a mod that lets me paint resources and another so they never deplete.

• Options
    I might have to look into the no depletion mod.

I don’t mind building industries where the resources are but depletion is really annoying.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I think the game comes with an unlimited ore and oil mod by default so all you need to do is activate it.

• Options
    Yeah I found the unlimited resources mod in the content manager, and grabbed Achieve It. I'm happy again.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Dusting the thread off for new DLC announcement:

• Options
    I'm really looking forward to building a new rig in a few months once Ryzen 3000 comes out. All this new hotness just makes my poor 2600k cry. In the last mega city I posted here my frame rates were in the teens.

• Options
    That was unexpected.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5kk4b32rg

And Campus is out now, apparently.

You know, with all these DLCs, the question I've got ask myself is if I'm still playing as a mayor or as some kind of micro-managing dictator.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Anyone else try Anno 1800? It's essentially Cities but Victorian.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I just got back into this after a three year or so break since I've been getting DLC when it goes on sale and now finally get to try it all out.

One of these days I'll work on a city which isn't all grids, but I hate "wasting" space when everything isn't lined up to get the most out of a given area.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Thought I might spin this up today after not playing for maybe 18 months. I have a lot of mods and the game just straight up would not load any maps so I figured I'd unsubscribe from everything on the workshop and start fresh.

Well that was 10 minutes ago and Steam is still working through unsubscribing from everything. I had just over 5000 subscriptions...

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJwzjDAeBj0

This DLC seems focused on both public transport and water management.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    They running out of ideas here? We already had the mass transit DLC and water management isn't exactly the most thrilling thing.

Definitely going to need more details.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    There’s some mass transit (and garbage) stuff there but it is really more fishing and aquaculture.

Edit: Also overground metro is in the free update which I have wanted for literal years. Now I can make a realistic metro system instead of a series of magic teleportation gates.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    So update: Bought sunset harbor, some thoughts...

The star of the show really for me are the free updates. The major public transport types have never been more balanced. Metro has been nerfed but expanded. So now you have for long distance trains which are cheaper track, but need more expensive stations and are more space intensive. Monorail and metro directly compete, as both are elevated rail, monorail can go over roads but doesn’t play nice with tram, metro can’t go over roads but can dive underground (but is now more expensive to run stations and track underground). It all goes together very nicely.

As far as what’s actually in the xpac:

Fishing industry is kind of neat. You send ships out to get fish, they come back, then it just turns into a regular industry basically. Its about what you would expect.

Trolleybuses are meh. They are inexpensive, don’t make much noise, but they have the downsides of trams and buses - can’t bypass traffic like trolley, uses up road like tram. They look cool though and could be a centerpiece for a downtown.

Helicopter transport - just basically faster blimps, not much going on there.

Intercity busses- nice for importing tourists

More mixed transport stations - also very nice and convenient

Waste transfer facility - gives more garbage trucks without major pollution, very nice if you have lots of capacity but your trucks aren’t getting where they need in time.

Desert friendly water facilities - a larger well/water tower, some more expensive facilities that let you dump treated sewage into the ground at a cost of being massively polluting for the cheaper versions, etc.

So yeah, big features are ok but not going to knock your socks off, there are a lot of little convenience things which are nice, and the best thing is the free ground/elevated metro and rail rebalance.

• Options
    Just a heads up for anyone still playing, the parklife expansion is free on steam right now for signing up to the paradox newsletter.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/255710/view/3431122876670907809

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Industries is the only one that ever caught my eye.

Also I've been playing again and I've finally broken the seal on Ŕ̶̲̬̕o̴͇̙̪̞̍̿͝â̵̰̻̥̖̈́͝d̶̫̝̰̆̀͗͜ ̷̧̎͌̒A̶̻̖̣̎̃ṋ̴͎̙̃̉̎̆ả̷̺r̸̺͍̄͗͘ç̶̼̠̔h̴͙́̍y̵̐̕̚͜. Hello, highway ramps at less than a 45 degree angle

And I've taken to just laying out walking paths for every development. Such a reduction in traffic and as a bonus, at high altitude it looks like your city is crawling with ants!
    1oers7z6inyj.jpg

• Options
    I need to do more of that, it does seem like it has a pretty decent effect on getting people where they need to go.

Parklife is pretty decent honestly. Basically the same mechanism as industries, towards tourism, but without supply chains (parklife came first so was a little more basic)

Well worth the price of free.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The Sims/Skylines experience summarized:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23Mn0bZY5w

• Options
    edited April 2020
    So I just essentially beat the game I guess (hit megalopolis finally and built most of the monuments)

The one major flaw I feel like with slylines right now (which I know there may be a mod for it) is that the service system kind of breaks down once you get over a couple of tiles in city size. I am constantly having garbage/police/dead person popups despite having tons of coverage because buildings send their guys to podunkia rather than servicing the block they are in. I feel like having a user definable radius or even a fixed radius that service vehicles wouldn’t leave would work better, or maybe having the option of assigning them to work in specific districts. Even small stuff like assigning taxis to work in my lesiure area taking people home rather than going off to BFE to take some rando to work would be great.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    I'm curious what your traffic looks like. Generally you want to shoot for 80%+

Services should prioritize the areas around them, depending on a few factors. For garbage there are 3 levels of need and are assigned priority. Overflowing (red icon on the UI), full (black icon on the UI), and nearly full (not indicated on the UI without mods). If there is a building that is overflowing, a far away collection site may dispatch a truck if a closer site's trucks are stuck in traffic. Similarly for the dead, there are 2 levels of need. Dead (black icon) and Rotting (red icon). There's no "nearly dead" state with witch to dispatch a collection vehicle early. When someone dies, the nearest collection center will send a car out. If all the cars are out and stuck in traffic, a body may start rotting and a collection vehicle from a farther collection site may be dispatched.

If you are looking for mods, Biffa from Youtube keeps a pretty well updated list.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Biffa2001

• Options
    Please be less car-centric this time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_h2OM2zFY

• Options
    Coming out this year. Very much looking forward to this one.

I'm curious to see what Colossal Order has learned from what modders put in the original.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

That strikes me as kind of an odd complaint about the first one, since a lack of comprehensive public transport inevitably caused your city to keel over and die once you got to dense zones.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

That strikes me as kind of an odd complaint about the first one, since a lack of comprehensive public transport inevitably caused your city to keel over and die once you got to dense zones.

A lot of the public transit stuff was added in DLCs. CS1 is very much a traffic simulator first and foremost. I think one of the things they discovered over the last few years and from the mod community is just how badly people want to design walkable cities.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yeah that being said if you did have dlcs for it the mass transit was pretty comprehensive, especially in later versions after they overhauled it a bit.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Gotcha, I snagged it on sale with a bunch of the DLC at some point so I never played the base game. For pretty much my entire time playing the bulk of the issues I had were with industrial traffic rather than commuters (although I did eventually have to mod in some decent sized metro trains so I wouldn't have 500 people backlogged at stations constantly; I think the default metro holds like 50 or something similarly absurd.)

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    It's coming.

https://youtu.be/WdD66WGBVHM

edit: Oh weird, my feed didn't take me to the last unread post so I thought this wasn't posted yet. Well, I'll keep it here unless someone else misses the first one.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Gotcha, I snagged it on sale with a bunch of the DLC at some point so I never played the base game. For pretty much my entire time playing the bulk of the issues I had were with industrial traffic rather than commuters (although I did eventually have to mod in some decent sized metro trains so I wouldn't have 500 people backlogged at stations constantly; I think the default metro holds like 50 or something similarly absurd.)

Yea like trams/lightrail want even in the game until the snowfall dlc, which was like a year after launch, also the only reason to get the DLC.

In the announcement video it does seem to be teasing actual seasons, which would be awesome. Let me make a town in Vermont and watch the leaves change.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    CS2 needs to have an anti-neoliberal mode where you don't have to build police stations.

Coinage on
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    That was like... the world's most generic trailer