As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

19495969799

Posts

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    +3 votes cast, as we do when we get off work

    Same usual quiet day. Election lady mentioned it's been steady all day.

    And as usual, we show up in line all three of us one after another, and the poor election worker flips to my name, then closes the book, then flips back to the same spot for my mom, and closes the book. Then sighs as they realizes the last one is at the same place they've closed twice already.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Gnome-InterruptusArcticLancerJragghenRichySteelhawkShadowen
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    In and out in less than 3 minutes.
    Even with mail in voting I like going, seeing the process and marking my X. Something about it.

    Gnome-InterruptusAegisBouwsTRear Admiral Choco
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I love voting in person, but I wanted to know how the process went for vote-by-mail if I ever need to encourage/coach friends or family to do the same in the future. Municipal elections in a month, can't wait to mark many X's!

    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    https://globalnews.ca/news/8203414/alberta-vaccination-cards-covid-19/

    So the non passport vaccination restriction exception program document you get from AHS apparently is an editable PDF....




    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    AridholGnome-InterruptusAegisShadowenFencingsaxShadowfire
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure unless it's signed editing any PDF is relatively simple. And even then you can usually generate an unlocked version pretty easily if you just want to change the display

    AridholKetBra
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    https://globalnews.ca/news/8203414/alberta-vaccination-cards-covid-19/

    So the non passport vaccination restriction exception program document you get from AHS apparently is an editable PDF....




    The ineptitude is incredible.

    Aegis
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    https://globalnews.ca/news/8203414/alberta-vaccination-cards-covid-19/

    So the non passport vaccination restriction exception program document you get from AHS apparently is an editable PDF....




    The ineptitude is incredible.

    It drives me insane that the card does not fit in your wallet.

    Manitoba came up with a cleaner solution, folks.... Manitoba.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
    AridholShadowenGnome-InterruptusshrykeShadowfireShadowhope
  • AutomautocratesAutomautocrates Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    +2 in Halifax!

    We ran into a similar problem with no card and elections.ca not listing a location for our address. I saw posts on the halifax reddit about people waiting on the line for a location and since I was at work elected to wait. The online issue seemed to resolve itself around noon.

    I'd voted at the location it ended up being before, for Trudeau's 2015 win. Owing to time of day and my recollection, I can only say it was busier there today when I voted than it was back then. Lots of younger faces. I'd say it took us about 25 minutes to vote. A line to get in, maybe 10 minutes, which had grown by 3 or 4 times in length when we left(3:40PM abouts).

    NS saw about 57% turn out for the provincial election last month. I think it's important to note that happened before the students arrived in mass, and I'm hoping that given how the pc swept(though with small margins) a little more aggravated turn out from the younger crowd might at least aid a potential NDP win on the peninsula.

    I live in a dream because I'm still mad about Fillmore beating Leslie here in 2015. Though she is now president and CEO of WWF Canada!

    Automautocrates on
    The dictum that truth always triumphs over persecution is one of the pleasant falsehoods which men repeat after one another till they pass into commonplaces, but which all experience refutes.
    -John Stuart Mill
    ArcticLancer
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake OttawaRegistered User regular
    The Ontario one is super fucking forge-able, too. At east until next month when the app comes out an-

    oh, that's gonna be a fucking disaster isn't it? There's NO WAY that this Ontario-made, ford-government directed thing isn't gonna be an absolute nightmare.

    The best part about trying to get a copy of your Proof of Vaccination right now is the system just completely locks you out until the next day: "YOU TRIED TOO MANY TIMES TO GET IT, TRY AGAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT, FUCK YOU'.

    ImperfectAridhol
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Pretty sure unless it's signed editing any PDF is relatively simple. And even then you can usually generate an unlocked version pretty easily if you just want to change the display

    Yup, completely trivial.

    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Pretty sure unless it's signed editing any PDF is relatively simple. And even then you can usually generate an unlocked version pretty easily if you just want to change the display

    Yup, completely trivial.

    They still have not locked it

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I drove by a polling station on my way home from daycare. It looked well-attended. Cars packing the street and a few people with cards waiting in line outside.

    sig.gif
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake OttawaRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I drove by a polling station on my way home from daycare. It looked well-attended. Cars packing the street and a few people with cards waiting in line outside.

    I saw a few news articles wondering how high voter apathy would be after 2 years, to the detriment of the Liberals especially (but also disenchanted Conservative voters, upset with O'toole), but I saw similar levels of folks voting today at my poll, so it makes me wonder if this might actually be a much larger turnout than anyone expected.


    Does anyone know if we'll actually have to wait days and days to see the final results? I'm hoping the early voting was spread out far enough country-wide that we won't need a 2020-Arizona, where everyone's waiting to see who gets the minority, and by how much.

  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    Found a cute comic of the election on Reddit lbx4rcx4tejb.jpeg

    Green Party should be a rock leading with Annamie tied to it.

    Apparently we have half as many polling places locally. Ours was a shitty little church in the basement, 2-3 poll windows and jesus, some guy stroking off names by hand. For real? Hey elections canada, computers exist. Lineup of students down the block, but there's no signage saying that people who live in the neighbourhood can walk to the front show their card and get in - because the students all have to register before going in.

    I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and find out nothing has changed, good job you witless cocksuckers. We can't do any better than the current spread of trash vying for power?

    edit: just noticed doug ford cowering behind the trash can, right where he fucking belongs. Holy fuck I hope he gets to see his brother soon.

    edit: I am so cranky. If he calls another one in 18 months, I hope they get fucked to the tune of the '93 PC.

    Nosf on
  • CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if we'll actually have to wait days and days to see the final results? I'm hoping the early voting was spread out far enough country-wide that we won't need a 2020-Arizona, where everyone's waiting to see who gets the minority, and by how much.

    It'll probably only take a couple days to count the mail-in ballots, so we should know final-ish numbers by the end of the week. Fortunately, we don't vote for 20 different offices all at once like they do in the US, which really slows down their counting.

    Since there's no indication that one party's supporters are considerably more likely to vote by mail than any others', I'd say that any riding with a margin of >1000 votes tonight probably won't flip. In 2019, only 18 ridings were won by <1000 votes. So we should know who's forming the government in 5 hours or thereabouts, and the final seat numbers will change by maybe +/-2 for any party.

  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The one thing I'm curious about is whether the PPC's going to end up playing the Spurious Ballot Challenge song and dance. I know the locals with that party were talking up the need for more scrutineers and hinting that it's all rigged..

    Shadowen
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Any insight into results so far? Are mail in votes expected to diverge from in person substantially like they did in the 2020 US election(s)?

    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    Polls don't even close in Quebec for another hour or so, still gonna be some time before we know anything

    liEt3nH.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    CBC just shitting on PPC about their no masks and "fighting against public health measures"

    Gnome-InterruptusShadowhopeshrykeJayricho
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So what's the best electoral map to follow this on? One that has analytics tools preferably, and can compare to 2019 results easily?

    sig.gif
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Bernier so far is third in his riding, behind the Liberal (2nd) and CPC incumbent (1st)

    sig.gif
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So what's the best electoral map to follow this on? One that has analytics tools preferably, and can compare to 2019 results easily?

    I'm using CBC's, but it doesn't have a great comparison to 2019.

    teriferin#1625
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So far Québec seems to be a fight between the Bloc and the LPC. The CPC is holding on to its seats in the province, but not gaining anything, it's not even close. That will hurt their chances of winning a government.

    sig.gif
    Aridhol
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Preliminary numbers in Ontario are in. Sounds like the LPC's dream of a majority and the CPC dreams of winning are dead.

    sig.gif
    AridholGnome-InterruptusShadowenshryke
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    CBC just called it for the liberals. Didn't specify what type of government.

  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Looks like the Liberals will form government again, barring extreme shenanigans. Not decided on majority or minority

    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 21
    Aridhol wrote: »
    CBC just called it for the liberals. Didn't specify what type of government.

    TVA did as well.

    EDIT: calling it a minority, and openly wondering if this election is the mistake that will cost Trudeau his leadership of the party.

    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    CBC just called it for the liberals. Didn't specify what type of government.

    This call is so early. Sorry western provinces.

    teriferin#1625
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    CBC just called it for the liberals. Didn't specify what type of government.

    This call is so early. Sorry western provinces.

    The prairies are going to the CPC. That's expected. The CPC needed to add more seats in Ontario and Québec to get on top. They failed.

    sig.gif
    mrondeauTeriferinShadowenLordSolarMacharius
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    CBC just called it for the liberals. Didn't specify what type of government.

    This call is so early. Sorry western provinces.

    The prairies are going to the CPC. That's expected. The CPC needed to add more seats in Ontario and Québec to get on top. They failed.

    Hey, Edmonton-Griesbach may kick my least favourite CPC MP out, and that’s enough for a celebration.

    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    RichyGnome-InterruptusShadowenForarEtheaArcticLancerBouwsT
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Annamie Paul is so far 4th in her riding, with the incumbent Liberal in a massive lead.

    sig.gif
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Maxime Bernier climbed up to 2nd place in his riding, but the CPC incumbent has been declared winner.

    sig.gif
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    TVA just announced Bernier's defeat. The hosts mocked him so much, you could hear the crew behind the cameras laughing.

    sig.gif
    ShadowenAridholFencingsaxHandkorTeriferinshrykeZibblsnrtHadesAegisEtiowsaJayrichoEtheaApogeeGnome-InterruptusBouwsT
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    TVA ran the (preliminary) numbers, and if the PPC didn't exist and its supporters voted CPC, O'Toole would have won only 3 more seats. So not only is the PPC a failure as a party, they're also a failure as a spoiler for the CPC.

    Hopefully the CPC will realize that the future isn't in courting the alt-right.

    sig.gif
    HandkorPantsBdarkmayoshrykeShadowenLordSolarMachariusHadesArcticLancerJragghenGnome-Interruptus
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Everything is still swinging wildly but I'm liking the seat change predictions right now, if they hold NDP picks up a handful of seats while BQ and LPC lose some. This will increase the NDP balance of power in the minority.

    bloodyroarxxCanadianWolverineShadowenJragghen
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    TVA analysts: "We could have ran the tapes from 2019. We didn't need to come in tonight."

    sig.gif
    HandkorSteelhawkShadowenJragghenGnome-Interruptus
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    Everything is still swinging wildly but I'm liking the seat change predictions right now, if they hold NDP picks up a handful of seats while BQ and LPC lose some. This will increase the NDP balance of power in the minority.

    I don't think it really works like that. If the Liberals don't get 170 by themselves but they can with either the BQ or the NDP then it's basically the same result regardless of the exact numbers.

  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited September 21
    Tenek wrote: »
    Handkor wrote: »
    Everything is still swinging wildly but I'm liking the seat change predictions right now, if they hold NDP picks up a handful of seats while BQ and LPC lose some. This will increase the NDP balance of power in the minority.

    I don't think it really works like that. If the Liberals don't get 170 by themselves but they can with either the BQ or the NDP then it's basically the same result regardless of the exact numbers.

    True but they need enough seats to get to 170 together. More importantly it will help the NDP for the next election to appear as a stronger/growing party and seeing the BQ shrink is always good after we thought they were dead.

    Edit: Also I like seeing this map of Canada with patches of four different colors.

    Handkor on
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    Tenek wrote: »
    Handkor wrote: »
    Everything is still swinging wildly but I'm liking the seat change predictions right now, if they hold NDP picks up a handful of seats while BQ and LPC lose some. This will increase the NDP balance of power in the minority.

    I don't think it really works like that. If the Liberals don't get 170 by themselves but they can with either the BQ or the NDP then it's basically the same result regardless of the exact numbers.

    True but they need enough seats to get to 170 together. More importantly it will help the NDP for the next election to appear as a stronger/growing party and seeing the BQ shrink is always good after we thought they were dead.

    Edit: Also I like seeing this map of Canada with patches of four different colors.

    I think the main impact of the NDP improving is forcing the game of chicken with the Liberals - either enact proportional representation, or let the Conservatives take over.

    If we take the current numbers, though (LPC 156 BQ 29 NDP 28) then the NDP magically yoinking 10 seats from the Bloc would not change the calculus on any particular bill: L + B = 175 and that's still a pass.

    Kind of fucked up, though - I'm watching the CBC gush over the massive impact of the PPC, saving the Liberals in a number of seats, while they show right there on the screen that the NDP has triple their vote total.

    ShadowenArcticLancerJragghenGnome-InterruptusCanadianWolverine
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    CBC gushing over the PPC is why I can't stand them anymore.

    sig.gif
    mrondeauTeriferinCanadianWolverine
This discussion has been closed.