As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Pulled the trigger on a blue 13 Pro Max.

halp scary

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

halp scary

Yeah, I was going to skip the the 13, but the Apple Store app conveniently reminded me I was on the yearly upgrade plan. So… silver 13 Pro Max next Friday.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    So iOS 15 now finally has the App Library on the iPad. On the phone, I just keep one screen of apps I use a lot and then use the App Library for everything else. It’s great, and all I had to do was delete all the app pages I wasn’t using.

I can’t figure out how to do that on iPadOS. It seems like i need to remove every app from the Home Screen individually, which sucks. Anyone figure this out yet?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    So iOS 15 now finally has the App Library on the iPad. On the phone, I just keep one screen of apps I use a lot and then use the App Library for everything else. It’s great, and all I had to do was delete all the app pages I wasn’t using.

I can’t figure out how to do that on iPadOS. It seems like i need to remove every app from the Home Screen individually, which sucks. Anyone figure this out yet?

Do the usual tap and hold on the screen, tap the dots at the bottom signifying the screen pages, and then you can delete the entire page.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Cormac wrote: »
    Six wrote: »

Do the usual tap and hold on the screen, tap the dots at the bottom signifying the screen pages, and then you can delete the entire page.

Thank you! I’d forgotten how to do it.

My Magsafe charger arrived. Now I just want the rest of the phone.

Bit of a waste with two separate deliveries there.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I didn't realize this, but the vanilla iPad picked up a truetone display this year, it was the lat iPad to not feature that.

Honestly, unless you absolutely have have have to have the iPad Air or Pro, for 95% of use cases there is no reason to spend any more money than the vanilla iPad.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Trying to set up Work focus in iOS 15, but Slack doesn't even show up in the list of possible app selections, even though it's clearly on my phone!
    The weird thing is, iOS prompted me and said you often use this app in this location, do you want to allow Slack during Work focus - and I said yes, but it's not listed in the allowed or available apps for focus mode. Same goes for Gmail.

Interestingly, I cannot also turn on slack notifications on on my apple watch either... just can't select it, but I know it's possible, it's on my friend's watch. Any idea?

Also gosh App Library would be so much better if you could override categorizations

And also rearranging homescreens still sucks, grumble

poo
    make sure the slack app is up to date?

I would imagine apps may need updates to work properly with some of the new features.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    wunderbar wrote: »
    make sure the slack app is up to date?

I would imagine apps may need updates to work properly with some of the new features.

def up to date, v confusing

poo
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I’m giving this ‘bottom of the page’ search bar thing a few days to start working for me, but I’m fighting years of habitual behavior right now.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I’m giving this ‘bottom of the page’ search bar thing a few days to start working for me, but I’m fighting years of habitual behavior right now.

I keep accidentally pulling down the Control Centre trying to reload but I love the slide-switching between adjacent tabs.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i really hate the new tab grouping in safari

the old rolodex type list was perfect for using with one hand, now half my tabs are on the left side of the screen and out of comfortable thumb reach

the tab group button is where the new tab button used to be which seems kind of dumb since i can't imagine going into tab groups more regularly than opening new tabs

it's also extra presses to open an incognito window

just a terrible update imo

Tav wrote: »
    i really hate the new tab grouping in safari

the old rolodex type list was perfect for using with one hand, now half my tabs are on the left side of the screen and out of comfortable thumb reach

the tab group button is where the new tab button used to be which seems kind of dumb since i can't imagine going into tab groups more regularly than opening new tabs

it's also extra presses to open an incognito window

just a terrible update imo

yeah it's bad

not looking forward to the macOS safari tab updates either

blegh

poo
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    8jxdyj998kml.jpeg

someone on Reddit pointed out that long pressing the tab explorer button brings up a quick menu with new tab, new private tab and a quick change between private and normal tabs

I’d still prefer the vertical scrolling between tabs but this resolves a lot of my issues

I'm going to try using only Safari on my iPhone and iPad for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. The extension support, adblocking (beyond what I get through an adblocking DNS), and anti-tracking is definitely making me consider dropping Chrome as my primary browser on my mobile devices.

The bottom bar on iOS is taking some getting used to but I do prefer it's method of switching tabs to the old method. I do not care for the small bar of wasted space on the bottom of the screen when scrolling with the bottom bar. On an iPhone mini that loss of readable/useable space is not great. However, I am not using the new layout on my iPad.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'm going to try using only Safari on my iPhone and iPad for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. The extension support, adblocking (beyond what I get through an adblocking DNS), and anti-tracking is definitely making me consider dropping Chrome as my primary browser on my mobile devices.

The bottom bar on iOS is taking some getting used to but I do prefer it's method of switching tabs to the old method. I do not care for the small bar of wasted space on the bottom of the screen when scrolling with the bottom bar. On an iPhone mini that loss of readable/useable space is not great. However, I am not using the new layout on my iPad.

I’m coming around on it somewhat, but features like tab groups are an easier sell for me - I go on rabbit holes for hobby projects, and it’s nice to sequester that stuff from my general reading.

I’m realizing where the real hang-up on the bottom address bar is for me though - when I load a webpage, my eyes go to the top of the screen. When I start reading a page, my eyes go to the top of the screen. My eyes only reach the bottom of the screen when I’ve finished reading an entire page, and typically I scroll to avoid having to read at the bottom of the screen.

I’m trying to think of it as something like a taskbar, because when I think of it in relation to how most human beings actually read language, it’s in a damn stupid place. Even on a modern iPhone, there’s the little graphical nub that replaced some home button functions that’s kind of awkwardly in the way down there and encourages you to scroll so you keep text in the upper portions of the screen.

There’s some logic to trying to use that space, but I think it might need a more comprehensive integration with the rest of the OS if it’s going to ever ‘make sense’ the way Apple’s UI’s do at their best.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, you can switch the iPhone Safari tabs back to the old layout with the address bar at the top. But not the switcher layout, so far.

Also, I am unreasonably pleased that you can set multiple timers simultaneously in watchOS 8…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Echo wrote: »

halp scary

...so I didn't intentionally do it but it took me until today to realize that I'll have matching color with my AirPods Max.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Phone and tablet are both out for delivery. I am excited!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »

Just picked up my new phone from the local Apple Store. I've always restored from iCloud back-up, but Gruber says that device-to-device transfer is best, so I'm trying that this time.

htm wrote: »

Just picked up my new phone from the local Apple Store. I've always restored from iCloud back-up, but Gruber says that device-to-device transfer is best, so I'm trying that this time.

Yeah, I'll see how well that works -- I'm using the EchoCorp phone privately as well, with my Apple account on it since we don't use that for any work stuff. We'll see if the MDM gets in the way of device transfers or not.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I did device to device from my phone to the tablet and it worked pretty well? It didn't bring over all of my apps, but maybe that was a phone vs. tablet app thing. Also I had to log back into everything on the tablet.

webguy20 on
    I did device to device from my phone to the tablet and it worked pretty well? It didn't bring over all of my apps, but maybe that was a phone vs. tablet app thing. Also I had to log back into everything on the tablet.

Just finished device-to-device and it worked nearly perfectly. All my apps stayed logged in and I didn't need to re-pair my watch. The only thing I had to redo was to re-enable the Safari extensions of the apps that installed them.

All my apps came over, but were re-downloaded from the App Store, so yeah... I bet your apps that didn't make didn't have an iPad version.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Anybody else using Chrome on an iPhone 13 getting this issue where the keyboard flickers on and off while typing in any text field? (like this one right here!)

I might have to swap back to Safari until this gets fixed.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    So I’ve been using my 13 Pro Max for about a day and the low-key best thing about it whatever material and/or coating the screen uses. It just doesn’t seem to get fingerprints. It’s kind of amazing. I haven’t seen anything about it having a new coating vs. the 12, so maybe I’ve just become really good at washing my hands the last two days.

Otherwise, the standout features are what I expected. You definitely notice that scrolling and animations are smoother because of the 120Hz screen. Macro mode on the camera is fun. Low light performance of the camera is really good.

Worst thing about it is that it’s a hair thicker than the 12. Not noticeable in use, but I had to buy a new case for it.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    So I’ve been using my 13 Pro Max for about a day and the low-key best thing about it whatever material and/or coating the screen uses. It just doesn’t seem to get fingerprints. It’s kind of amazing. I haven’t seen anything about it having a new coating vs. the 12, so maybe I’ve just become really good at washing my hands the last two days.

Otherwise, the standout features are what I expected. You definitely notice that scrolling and animations are smoother because of the 120Hz screen. Macro mode on the camera is fun. Low light performance of the camera is really good.

Worst thing about it is that it’s a hair thicker than the 12. Not noticeable in use, but I had to buy a new case for it.

The slight difference in thickness hasn’t been an issue for me, but the fact that the camera bump is about a millimeter or so bigger in each direction than the 12 Pro Max. One of my two cases had a perfectly sized camera cutout and it doesn’t fit. The other case has an oversized camera cutout for the 12, and it juuuuuust fits.

minor incident on

Sounds like a challenge to me.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Tried out the new iPad mini, I was looking at getting one for use at work for general teaching stuff. I think the size is good but the scaling of the iPad OS is really off, the icons look too cluttered and bunched together. The widgets are really small compared to a standard iPhone.

Ziggymon wrote: »
    Tried out the new iPad mini, I was looking at getting one for use at work for general teaching stuff. I think the size is good but the scaling of the iPad OS is really off, the icons look too cluttered and bunched together. The widgets are really small compared to a standard iPhone.

I turned big icons on and I like the look better.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So I got the iPhone 13 Pro Max Blue with 512GB, and it's a nice, noticeable upgrade over the 11 pro max. I continue my journey of upgrading the watch every 3 years or so, the phone every two.

I know the phone is effectively the same design as last year, but it is new to me, and the squared off feel is much nicer in the hand. I was annoyed when they went away from it on the 6 and am happy to have it return.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The squared edges feel better without a case and IMO worse with one.

Yeah, I've been dithering on whether to get a case or not. Will run it naked for a bit once I get it to see how it feels.

For a while I had a case for my current XR, but I ditched that and now only have a screen protector that came with the case.

I generally put cases on my phone when I leave the house, but when I'm just at home and doing whatever I run without a case.

I'm very happy with the Decoded leather case I have for my 12 mini. The Apple leather case was decent but definitely showed some ugly looking patina within a few months even on black leather. The Decoded case has vastly higher quality leather and feels so much nicer in my hand.

I ordered a Caudabe Sheath and it’s extremely nice. The texture is great, and feels similar to a leather case. The best part is that the sharp corner are nicely smooth and rounded over which does a good job of minimizing hot spots in the hand.

I am very, very disappointed with the apple leather case for my 12 pro. After reading about how nice the older ones were, this thing is a piece of crap and not worth a fifth of the $60 I paid for it. The color rubs off and it’s not particularly durable. I have two new cases I just ordered showing up today that I’m curious about.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I get Spigen or Smartish cases these days. The official ones are a ripoff.

I was using a Smartish case (big points for a 12 Pro Max case that actually fit the 13 pro max) and it was pretty good. I just wasn’t a huge fan of the molded finger grips in the sides, even if they were relatively subtle.

Of the cases I just ordered, I’m happiest with this Enskko case.