As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Saw this on Reddit. what the hoof?

jGUl5Ac.png

Man, that Star's composition is all over the place.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    It’s still weird

But, I want 3/5 of the mechs in that pack

Fucking hell that's weird. Partnering with B&N is a hell of a choice.

Now to figure out how many to buy.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

You know you will end up with 4. Might as well make it 10 to make things easier.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited September 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »

You know you will end up with 4. Might as well make it 10 to make things easier.

I was honestly deciding between 3 and 4, depending on Secondary Market Opportunity.

The ANH, TBR, ARC, RFL are all nominally easy sales. The BJ might be a stretch, but at $6/mech plus overhead cost I'm not seeing a lot of downside.

It really sucks that my literally-down-the-street B&N just closed due to COVID.

Nips on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Who wants a Mongoose and wishes to bid for it?

Seriously not my auction, I just remember one of y'all lamenting the difficulty in acquiring one.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Seriously not my auction, I just remember one of y'all lamenting the difficulty in acquiring one.

Me but oof that's already too much.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Saw this on Reddit. what the hoof?

jGUl5Ac.png

Man, that Star's composition is all over the place.

I don't know, it's two indirect long range fire support platforms (Archer, Timberwolf), and 4 LOS long range fire support platforms (Annihilator, Blackjack, Rifleman, and Timberwolf's clan large lasers). It's a stand back and shoot star. The fact that the Annie and the Wolf don't have minimum ranges on their main weapons and can thus screen against flankers is just icing.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Man, looks like B&N wont ship to the EU.

I'm guessing it's because they mostly sell books, and I remember from my university days that most of the international books had stickers on them with 'Only for sale in the EU/Not for sale in the US'.

The Battletech subreddit had a thread where someone said that it's only a timed exclusive.

Also, anyone know if there is a better place to upload images than Imgur?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    Nought wrote: »
    Man, looks like B&N wont ship to the EU.

I'm guessing it's because they mostly sell books, and I remember from my university days that most of the international books had stickers on them with 'Only for sale in the EU/Not for sale in the US'.

The Battletech subreddit had a thread where someone said that it's only a timed exclusive.

Also, anyone know if there is a better place to upload images than Imgur?

You can upload pics here directly.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    But make sure each image (individually) is under 1 megabyte (using jpg instead of png is usually enough to do that). Otherwise, yeah imgur seems to be it.

Edit to clarify, the set can be however big, it's the individual file sizes that are a concern when uploading directly to the forums.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Nought wrote: »

This is likely incorrect. Per the community manager/dev at the official boards:
    This product is a Barnes and Noble exclusive. However, it is not a limited-run or limited edition.

Tox wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

Me but oof that's already too much.

I know the feeling. I dread how much dosh I’ll be dropping for that sweet, sweet Dragon. As soon as someone decides to sell the damn thing. Failing that I’ll just get the force pack.

So I went to clean up the boxes that were stacked in the hallway down to the two boxes that the rules came in (and a stack of cards that I have to figure out what to do with). Oddly I ended up with I think is an extra box (Inner Sphere Support Lance) that I have to go through my notes to see where I added that one to the order. Guessing I might have done it to get a Spider and Dragon, but I'm not sure since I didn't see it in my original list when I was figuring out what I wanted to buy. Did realize that I don't have nearly the amount of Clan mechs that I "need" to fight against the IS massive forces. So maybe I didn't think this one through quite right. I mean I only bought mechs I piloted in MWO or loved the designs (mainly the "Unseen").

Battletech_drop_02.jpg

Added in the 4 metal Insane Kangaroo MWO versions that I have yet to paint, one Shadowhawk that @Nips was awesome enough to send to me, and his really cool custom Urbanmech for me.

Then I wanted to share a photo of what took up (I swear it did) 90% of all of Catalyst's attention to detail. The one. The only. URBANMECH PLUSHIE!

Battletech_drop_03.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to paint all these mechs since I decided to keep them all. :( Sorry. Then I plan on at least playing against myself or teaching my wife how to play so I can enjoy shooting fake robots with dice once again and relive my High School days.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Why must you jerks live skattered all over the globe!

I need a player group

kx3klFE.png
    Why must you jerks live skattered all over the globe!

I need a player group

Well, there is this thing called migration.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    If two people had the same maps and mechs (both sides), could you play by post in a thread? Dice rolls in thread or agreed upon app. Super slow but maybe doable?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited September 2021
    Discord would probably be better for it, to be honest. If you both have a smart phone you could even share pictures to make sure you are matched up correctly.

MegaMek is probably the preferred solution, provided you don't mind having a java vm on your pc, otherwise maybe tabletop simulator has a battletech set-up?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited September 2021
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Discord would probably be better for it, to be honest. If you both have a smart phone you could even share pictures to make sure you are matched up correctly.

MegaMek is probably the preferred solution, provided you don't mind having a java vm on your pc, otherwise maybe tabletop simulator has a battletech set-up?

Does it ever! and I'm reasonably certain any Mechs that have appeared in MWO or BATTLETECH have models out there too.

edit- Though MegaMek is free and very robust!

Axen on
    We've done an Oosiks MegaMek game.

It was hilarious.

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Dang. Couldn't get my samsung phone to actually resize the filesize so I had to go 1998 on it, by taking a screenshot of the picture. 3mb to 1/4mb.

Anyway look yee all on my terrible joke and despair.

Got my packages on tuesday.

zj4eefin8up8.jpg

Just call me Sir Mechs-a-Lot. Fits nicely with the fact that people allready call me a lot.

As in "Oh him? That's Nought. He's A Lot".

You know, writing that out I can't help thinking people don't mean that as a complement.

I got ten normal salvages boxes, that I got around to opening wednesday morning.

Legendary Archer

Timberwolf
    Hellbringer
    Summoner
    Ice Ferret
    Nova
    Two more that look a lot like the Nova in that they are hunched over. I think one has armguns and one doesn't.
    And three Dire Wolves

Not bad at all.
    Would have liked a Mad Dog or Adder as well, but I'm not complaining

I'm pretty sure I got one of each Lance/Star/Six-Fingered Comstar Fist, unless there was a new box the last time they opened up the orders around Christmas.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    Two more that look a lot like the Nova in that they are hunched over. I think one has armguns and one doesn't.

Dragonfly and.....Stormcrow?
    And three Dire Wolves

JFC!

edited September 2021
    If you look above the mech in the upper face of the little plastic mold it says their name

e: and also on the alpha strike card lol

Tox on
    If you look above the mech in the upper face of the little plastic mold it says their name

e: and also on the alpha strike card lol

Ohhh. Why didn't I realize that is what those letters were (also didn't open the cards). I was looking up names on Sarna. >_>

Also I forgot to open my salvage boxes. Hopefully I can get a Mad Dog in there. That was one of the chances right? I also got the Legendary Timber Wolf from my Legends blind box. Guess Catalyst wants me to run a full star of Wolves in honor of @HydroSqueegee

oosik_betsuni.png
    Megamek and TTS are peachy, of course. But people in here are trying to play with their newly delivered plastic, right?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited September 2021
    Iolo wrote: »
    Megamek and TTS are peachy, of course. But people in here are trying to play with their newly delivered plastic, right?

A little of both, I suppose. Hell I'd love to watch some folks battle it out in Battletech the video game.

And yes the Mad Dog was one of the ones that was eligible for Salvage:

- Clan Retaliation Star (mechs from Clan Invasion Box Set): Executioner, Timber Wolf, Nova, Grendel, Adder
    - Clan Command Star: Dire Wolf, Stormcrow, Shadow Cat, Myst Lynx, Summoner
    - Clan Heavy Striker Star: Gargoyle, Mad Dog, Hellbringer, Viper, Ice Ferret

iirc, nobody's pulled more than one Mad Dog; Summoners and Hellbringers also don't seem too common. Viper, Ice Ferret, and Myst Linx all seem common. And Timber Wolves, oddly

Tox on
    edited September 2021

A little of both, I suppose. Hell I'd love to watch some folks battle it out in Battletech the video game.

- Clan Retaliation Star (mechs from Clan Invasion Box Set): Executioner, Timber Wolf, Nova, Grendel, Adder

iirc, nobody's pulled more than one Mad Dog; Summoners and Hellbringers also don't seem too common. Viper, Ice Ferret, and Myst Linx all seem common. And Timber Wolves, oddly

Hmm, hopefully I can land another Dire Wolf, but guessing I'm going to land multiple copies of the common ones and another Timber Wolf. I have the problem trying to balance my Iron Oosiks with my Oosiks.

Edit: This has to do with me playing more IS mechs than Clan mechs due to getting really into Community Warfare for the FFR back in the day.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png

I got fricking 3 Hellbringers from salvage

kx3klFE.png
    The ones I don't think I've seen anybody here get are Gargoyle, Executioner, and Grendel. I've seen maybe one Hellbringer and one Mad Dog. Maybe a few Summoners, Dire Wolves, and Shadowcats; some Stormcrows, Novas, and Timberwolves, and then several Vipers, Myst Linxes, Ice Ferrets, and Adders.

Pulled 2 damn Gargoyles and 1 Executioner

The only ones i didnt get from salvage were Dire Wolf, Stormcrow, Shadow Cat, Mist Lynx, Grendel and Ice Ferret. Got 8/10 mechs from the Retaliation and Heavy Striker packs and just 1/5 for the Command Star. :/

kx3klFE.png
    Pulled 2 damn Gargoyles and 1 Executioner

The only ones i didnt get from salvage were Dire Wolf, Stormcrow, Shadow Cat, Mist Lynx, Grendel and Ice Ferret. Got 8/10 mechs from the Retaliation and Heavy Striker packs and just 1/5 for the Command Star. :/

Meanwhile Mist Lynx and Ice Ferret are the two I pulled the most of

Y'all got me curious so I checked my salvage box pulls. Adder (2), Mongrel, Mist Lynx (2), Nova, Dire Wolf, Hellbringer and Executioner. That's not counting the legendary, urbie and shilone salvage boxes.

I don't really know what all of that means. My tabletop days started with that very first box set, and ended while still in the Succession Wars. What little I know about the Clan invasion and its mechs comes from the tiny bit of Mechcommander content, and then some general osmosis from hanging around with you lot. If it was IS mechs, I would have some sort of emotional reaction. Pulled a Centurion or Orion - Yes! Pulled a Cicada or Charger - Ugh. (Although the bad mechs make for a good OpFor. :) )

I might as well have typed I got 2 Blurghs, a Hamfist, and a Blupikt for all it really means to me. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited September 2021
    HAHAHAHAHA! Edit: <- Sorry, this was in reaction to your post Iolo. Mainly because if it wasn't for MWO I would have said the same thing as you.

I just opened mine and got 1 Timber Wolf, 2 Ice Ferrets, 1 Nova, 1 Viper, and 1 Summoner. I'm happy with this pull and can make a seriously fun Light drop now with the 2 Ice Ferrets, 1 Arctic Cheater, 1 Pirahana, and something else.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Mine, just to repeat for the sake of collating data:
    Mist Lynx
    Storm Crow
    Ice Ferret
    Timber Wolf
    Legendary Marauder

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I do mostly wish I could pick up another Dire Wolf for my command star. That said, I don't think I have enough stuff to make a trade worth shipping. Hopefully I can scoop one up later.

What is this I don't even.
    I also got the Legendary Marauder, which was perfect because now I have all four Marauders to make a Marauder lance. That'll be my alt-unit. One lance of all Marauders, Beta Lance will be four Wolverines, three of the regular ones and a Conjurer as the Lance Commander; and Charlie lance will be Stinger, Wasp, Valkyrie, and Phoenixhawk.

So trying to figure out how I want to reconfigure my Clan mechs in stars, and here's what I came up with:
    Command Star
    Dire Wolf
    Kingfisher
    Ebon Jaguar
    Huntsman
    Nova

This star screams "Smoke Jaguar" so hard it hurts.

Fire Support Star
    Turkina
    Timber Wolf
    Timber Wolf
    Crossbow
    Adder

If I go with Smoke Jaguar, then this star would be a perfect way to say "inferior mechs claimed as isorla don't get to be on the front lines"

Fast Attack Star
    Executioner
    Viper
    Ice Ferret
    Grendel
    Mist Lynx

Not happy with the Executioner in this, but I was having trouble figuring out what the 5th would be. Could technically use a point of Elementals and retire the Nova from the command Star to add the Executioner there.

Garrison Star
    Stone Rhino
    Supernova
    Marauder IIC
    Warhammer IIC
    Hunchback IIC

The Heavy Battle star as is, I figure that most Clans, at least circa the Invasion, tended to keep Omnis in the front, regular mechs in the rear.

I also got the Legendary Marauder, which was perfect because now I have all four Marauders to make a Marauder lance. That'll be my alt-unit. One lance of all Marauders, Beta Lance will be four Wolverines, three of the regular ones and a Conjurer as the Lance Commander; and Charlie lance will be Stinger, Wasp, Valkyrie, and Phoenixhawk.

So my Legendary Marauder set me down a bad path. See, it's Grayson's ride! GDL Command Lance, obvs! So I put it on my spreadsheet with the three others from the command lance. Except I didn't have spares of the WVR/RFL/GRF. And buying them would cost money. And I have a 3D printer.

So I printed the three 'Mechs.

Then the lance has been sitting on my bench, next in line for paint. And sat. And sat. And the more they sat, the more I didn't like how the new MAD looked against the three (Unseen-looking) other 'mechs. And then I saw how the Legendary sculpt was selling on the secondary market.

So I printed an Unseen-looking MAD.

UNFORTUNATELY, I'd already removed the base from Grayson's ride, textured it and prepped for painting, kinda ruining it for instant-gratification-sale. Because it had been sitting for so long, I'd forgotten I'd removed its base. Because I'm dumb.

So now I have a GDL Command Lance, and a Legendary Marauder that needs to fit somewhere else into the Grand Spreadsheet Plan.

As for my IS mechs:

Command Lance
    Highlander
    Battlemaster
    King Crab
    Exterminator

The Battlemaster is technically more of a command Mech than the Highlander, but I can't imagine most commanders wanting to give up the Highlander for it. King Crab works for the bodyguard role. Not entirely comfortable with running the Exterminator (given it's pretty much Comstar only), but I'm limited by the mechs I have.

Battle Lances (2)
    Crockett
    Flashman
    Black Knight
    Lancelot

and

Marauder
    Guillotine
    Thunderbolt
    Crab

Two lances full of mechs able to put a significant amount of damage into a target.

Fire Support Lance
    Awesome
    Archer
    Archer
    Catapult

Not much else to really say here. Let it rain.

Scout Lance
    Commando
    Mongoose
    Locust
    Mercury

Speedy, in and out quickly, not much else to say.

Garrison Lance
    Wolverine
    Shadow Hawk
    Sentinel
    Urbanmech

I'd think there normally wouldn't be a Lance specifically for defending a garrison in most units, could be used as a punishment detail I guess, or a way to work greenhorns into the unit.

One thing I'm noticing is that a surprisingly high number of the mechs rely on energy weapons.