As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 43- Pirate Haven of Chaff

1787981838487

Posts

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 18
    ARNO
    A thousand giant, flapping appendages, pink and smooth, part like a living forest as the Arno*Shark presses forward…

    The Changeling’s heart flutters sadly as they watch the poor Rak’ta being slowly dragged down into the mouths of the Anemones. You all got here too late…there was nothing you could do. Below you, the Man O’ War is being bashed against rocks to break the Ship open. The Anemones frantically attempt to scoop out the insides of the boat, like Bluurg messily shucking oysters at dinner.

    Finally, bodies begin to float out, one after another. The Anemones snatch at each of them immediately, dragging them down into their maws so quick that Arno barely has a chance to get a good look at the poor sailors. But one, apparently missed by the Anemones, floats free for a moment, and begins to ascend towards the surface.

    He looks to be, every bit, the pirate. Large black beard, peg leg, eyepatch. Standard issue, dictionary-picture of a pirate. But then, as Arno continues to watch, a transformation happens. The beard begins to disappear, vanishing back up into the face. The eyepatch suddenly pops out of the man’s skull, displaying a full, milky white eye beneath. And then, the peg leg is wound down, pulled off, and floats away, as a pale, thick white foot pushes in to take its place. The “pirates” clothes tightly constrict around a too-big body, clearly made for someone several sizes smaller than the person currently wearing them.

    They’re Doppelgangers. How or why they’d be pretending to be pirates, Arno isn’t sure, but the deception looks to have gone pretty deep. Arno gets one more second to look, and then a nearby Anemone realizes its mistake, and moves to *SCOOP* up the creature with one hand, while another half dozen move to scoot, scoot, SCOOT! Arno out of the way of stealing their food….

    As the Anemone “forest” closes off the massarcre behind them, Arno makes to *BITE* at one of the slowly sinking bundles of palm leaves falling from the Rak’ta skiffs. Maybe getting a good look at what this fight was over might help solve the mystery of what happened out here…

    Arno has discovered a Mysterious Plot! They have also discovered one “Crate” of ”Blue Sand”!


    OAK, URIXES, AND JACK
    At Oak’s instruction, the Rak’ta have an immediate seat in the skiff, moving in unison. They both look up at the Shifter expectantly.

    The Blueish-Green Rak’ta hisses at Urixes’s questions, and answers with a familiar (but now, just slightly different) refrain: “Zey came out of nowhereza Pirates. Wanted our cargo, to steal it…or so we zought. Handed zem over, and zey tossed our goods in za water to sink, and then tried to take usss captive. Und when we wouldn’t surrender…” The Rak’ta’s story continues again, in the same loop you’d heard before, as the bitter lizard smacks himself about the face and neck in deep, awful regret.

    “Help her!” The yellow lizard says. “Pleasssse!

    Jack...is not made to be a medic. The Chameleon moans softly in pain, occasionally rolling form side to side as the young Shifter tries to get the lizards wounds kept closed. Jack tries his very best, but, well…After what seems a long while, but must have only been five minutes, the Chameleon finally, quietly, passes.

    The Yellow frilled Rak’ta and the Blue-Green Rak’ta sense it as it happens. Both stand inside the skiff, raise their arms to the sky, and let out a throaty, hissing *BELLOW* of pain and agony, enough to split the skies! The noise echoes and rings along the open ocean, a sound of sadness and betrayal at the cruel nature of Fate. That sound will remain with you, and the Crew, for some time…

    The Ghostly Rak’ta fade from view, disappearing before you all in their final open torment. The Skiffs around you, well-made as they are, are slowly taking on water. Around the watercraft, predatory fish are already beginning to gather, eager for a free meal. Nothing left to do, then…the large bundles wrapped in palm leaves seem to be valuable, something the Rak’ta had risked their lives to escape with. No reason leaving them to the Ocean…

    Oak, Urixes, and Jack were unable to save the dying Chameleon, or peacefully help the Rak’ta ghosts to the “other side”. The Crew was able to hear their *final screams*, as the Chameleon passed (MORALE -3!)

    However, the Boys *were* able to recover the following from the Rak’ta skiffs: One “Crate” of FOOD! One “Crate” of “Tanned Lizard Skins” (OAK, add it to your inventory where you would keep your gold and jewels). One “Crate” of “Lizard Spices” (JACK, add it your inventory where you would keep your gold and jewels)



    Geth roll 3d20 “Wind/Weather/Location” Day 39

    Wind/Weather/Location Day 39:
    3d20 34 [3d20=13, 12, 9]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 18
    EVERYONE
    tovacrde9vzk.jpg

    Free Day on the Twilight Expanse! A Southern Wind, Overcast Skies, and sailing over a Kelp Forest will be the conditions for your 39th day of the Voyage. The Crew will be in a hard-working mood and fine spirits: the Strikers and lay-abouts will have an *excellent* haul of fish brought in ( -1 FOOD instead of the usual -2 FOOD, leaving you at 19/50 FOOD; and -1 MORALE instead of the usual -2 MORALE, leaving you at 20/50 MORALE.) Your ETA out from Chaff is now 5-6 days!

    Today, I would like the Group to engage in the following:


    -Breakfast with the Wild Bunch: It has been a long while since you guys have just got to sit together and RP, and talk about the nature of your current situation. Over coffee and biscuits (and whatever else Michael ( @Sleep ) can cook up, with the rapidly dwindling food supply...), please discuss recent events, how everyone is doing physically, and where everyone’s headspace is at. This is also a good time to shoot me any OOC questions about items/plot/anything that you’ve had ideas about!

    Some topics the DM would like to glean from your conversation (and hopefully something to help guide it along) would be the following: what are you planning on spending your bonus on, once you get your big-payday (some examples: permanent Ship Upgrades/Mounts/Market Investments/Watercrafts/Fine Clothes/Training/Books/Treasure Maps/Private Property/Crew Upgrades/Information/Magical Learning/etc.)? What’s the *first* thing you want to do once you reach the Pirate-Mecca of Chaff? How do you plan to spend your downtime once you are there (the current condition of the Ship will make your stay at least 4-7 days currently, during which time the Curse will be unavailable: the rooms rentable in Chaff range from "Fine Inns" to "Dive bars, with a dirty cot in the back and a broken door")

    And where will the group be headed once the Whispered Curse is completely repaired, food stocked, and fully manned? (The Current Locations of the other Key Items needed to unlock Sessinnek’s Treasure are:)


    -CANTLYN GARRISON
    qs7ep5138rvi.jpg

    -PLAYA DEL PERDIDO
    nu6cdaw0ko58.jpg

    -EMINENT GROVE
    c0fvwuo9kvts.jpg

    -An UNDETERMINED LOCATION in the Inner Ring
    99z7p1wb3wc7.jpg
    ...

    -Downtime on the Ship: Please choose your favorite NPC/the NPC your character vibes with best on the Ship, and a leisure activity it makes sense the two of you would be engaging in. The purpose for this social interaction is twofold: learning about the concept of *Loyalty Missions* (the only way to protect favored NPCs from the cold, cruel hand of random Fate, and usually something you'll be doing incidentally, like "find ten new locations on the map" or "give someone an ARCHAEOLOGY FIND"); also the only way to permanently increase your MORALE stat, given the loyal NPC remains aboard), as well as setting up plotlines and adventures which will await you in Chaff.

    mrpaku on
    Glal
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak wanders into the rebuilt galley and takes a seat at a table. He doesn't really look for food yet, still blinking the sleep out of his eyes. The Shifter had been sleeping hard lately. He had always been able to sleep well when he was out on the water, but that always came with the awareness of being ready to hop of bed at a moments notice. The past few days, however, he had closed his eyes and was out until morning.

    Still, he was the first of the Wild Bunch to make it to breakfast. They had all agreed to gather in the morning, something they hadn't been able to do socially in a while. They had been together almost non-stop, but when you're under the strain of a mission of one type or another, eating was a necessity that you powered through quickly before moving on. Now, finally on the ship in relative safety as they headed toward Chaff, they could all actually sit and eat a meal casually.

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    After their failed rescue mission Jack looked out of sorts for a while, however it didn't take too long before his internal mechanisms kicked in to sort him out (perhaps he simply has the memory of a goldfish) and by the time dinner rolled around his was right as rain. Or at least, his appetite was.

    Jack enters the galley with Fusspot on his shoulder, looking awake and cheerier than most around him. At this point Oak has spent enough time around him to recognise the Oh Boy Food mood, soon followed by Yay Eating Food and, inevitably, Oh No Please More Seconds Michael.

    He sits himself down opposite the other Shifter and puts his plate of food down (somehow he always seems to get extras...) too loudly for the early hour, greeting the other loudly, "Mornin' Oak! You finished already? Boy, you eat quick!"

    He begins stuffing himself with whatever Michael has managed to make of their dwindling rations. It almost seems like it doesn't matter to Jack, he's always happy to eat anything. Mister Fusspot has hopped off his shoulder and is sat on the table, munching on the dish closest to him- for all his training the werewolf doesn't seem to have bothered to teach the little beast table manners. Perhaps due to lacking them himself.

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak laughs. "No, Jack. Haven't grabbed any yet. Was waiting for all of you lot to roll in."

    The Shifter doesn't mention that he also is slightly concerned at the amount of food they have left, or that he has been trying to ration himself to only what he actually needed. Jack never held himself back, and Oak wasn't about to suggest that his friend stop eating, so he was trying to do what he could personally.

    "What are ya' plans for Chaff, Jack? Got gold burnin' a hole in yer pocket I would imagine."

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Been a while since we've had streets to walk on," Urixes says, joining the conversation as he sits down with a cup of coffee and not much else, "Or buildings not built by some ancient god trying to kill us. I'm not sure I'll know what to do with myself. I'm not really used to living this long, to be honest."

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "Morning all!" Arno is chipper and well rested, seemingly unphased by the recent events. Perhaps being underwater when the scream occurred protected their morale. Perhaps having peered deeper into the arcane texts of the Formam Aquae had proven very adequate bedtime reading. Or perhaps, knowing how the crew looked to the Wild Bunch, the changeling knew how much their own demeanor would affect the crew. Whatever the reason, Arno was all smiles.

    "Feel like a true pirate these past few days. Avoided a murderous ship, encountered giant sea creatures that could have torn us to pieces, crazy weather survival. If we can fit in a quick treasure chest to dig up, I think I'll have checked off everything on my list. Starving though, can't wait for breakfast. Eat up all, I've talked with Michael and we're doing good on food for the trip, and I can feed 40 crew a day on goodberries if we end up needing it. Trying to avoid it for now though, the berries keep away scurvy but they aren't exactly high-fiber food."

    "Never been to Chaff before, but I heard of a place called Ortho's Oddities, which seems very up my alley. I'm hoping it could give me some info on what this Blue Sand is. Saved it from being anemone food, but I've never come across it before. How about yourself Oak? Seems you more than earned some rest. Maybe a trip to the Sea of Sighs?" Arno waggles their eyebrows, which they made extra bushy just now to accentuate the innuendo.

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak stares at Arno directly without reacting. "No."

    He doesn't engage the thought further, but instead continues the conversation. "Might find my way ta' some places to help the ship out. Things we seen out here have me worried that we might not have enough firepower."

    His face is pensive for just a second before he continues. "That and, wouldn't mind a good meal. Nothin' fancy, but somethin' filling."

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Not even a blush. Must be losing my edge.

    mrpakuGlal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Oak, you would have heard around the Ship that your best option for a Good (but not “Great”) meal inside of Chaff would be at The Nimble Weasel, just at the corner of Murderer’s Row and Ye Olde Towne Road. It is also one of your options for Long-Term Lodging in town, at 6gp per room a night (remember, the group will need to vacate the Ship for 4-6 days while in town (possibly more, with Upgrades), as kobolds tear it plank from plank to provide full service treatment/give it an extra coat of stain/check under the boards for magical parasites)

    Arno, Ortho’s Oddities and Ozoro’s Arcane Restoratives + Herbal Remedies would both be appropriate places to ask around about “Blue Sand”. Common Sense (yes, even Arno’s Common Sense) suggests Arno should be *discrete* about it!

    OOC:
    Simply waiting on Jack ( @Glal ) to check-in with his goals for Chaff (assuming Urixes ( @Denada ) time will be spent, as he said, simply getting to do some living, while presumably tagging along with one of/all of you, and seeing where his interests take him.) Continue to RP between yourselves as much as you like, and once you are satisfied your character has said their piece, please leave an “Agree” to this post and I’ll know everyone is ready to continue!

    Day 40 is good to go when you guys are! I’ve also already written up the explanation of “Loyalty Missions” as a separate bit, and am just going to move it as a quick-blurb for everyone to the Day-Before-Chaff (along with some other brief housekeeping). Favorable Winds will put you within 4-5 days of your destination tomorrow!

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OOC But we're not paying for the undercoating, that's just a scam those kobolds use to tack on an extra fee. But do spring for the extended warranty, I think we'll be needing repairs before too long.

    Also, Arno would want to talk to Slevin De’tres, see how they are, and maybe ask a bit about the doppelgangers on that ship. Perhaps they (he? I'm not sure if they chose pronouns or not) have some insight, as they were more like a doppelganger than a changeling when they were just 73.

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited September 21
    Jack waves to the other two as they wander in, mouth full. He starts talking, chokes, coughs, then very deliverately swallows. Phew, close one. "Oh, the Chaff? Hmm, I haven't given it too much thought." He'd never really had money to spare before. "Maybe something nice for Mister Fusspot? He's been an invaluable member of our team, after all. Also, got some jewels that need sellin', they're pretty, but useless."

    Long pause, "Well, I did get this pirate tattoo way back at the start of our journey, maybe I should get something bigger to commemorate how far we'd come!"

    He pets the critter that's currently stealing the last of his... bacon? Is bacon supposed to be this colour? Michael is a magician.

    "I would not actually mind sleeping in a nice bed, though. The Curse is nice, but it ain't exactly spacious, yanno?" ((OOC: Gotta go with The Nimble Weasel, has to be classy with a name like that! )) He lifts his plate and licks it, placing it back down shiny-clean with a sad look to his eyes. Nothing sadder than an empty plate.

    He listens to Arno with interest, "Oh, Oddities? If I have anything left over that could be fun." Jack loves trinkets, the more worthless the better. He perks up as the changeling keeps going, "Sea of Sighs? Wassat, is it fun?" Turns to Oak, "I didn't know you'd been to the Expanse before! You could be my guide and show me around the Sea maybe?" Bright smile.

    Glal on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Quickly finishing their last bite, "I've got to head over to talk with Slevin, but I'd love to take you to see some oddities. And I heard there is a pet store around as well for some fusspot gifts. I'll let Oak tell you a bit more about the Sea of Sighs."

    Arno speeds off before Oak can argue. Let them have 'The Talk' together, good bonding time.

    Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 21
    ARNO

    Later that Evening…
    ””He”” is preferred, thank you for asking!” Slevin says, beaming brightly as he goes to offer the Changeling a steaming cup of pine-tea (really, just weak-pine flavored hot water, but he’s very proud of it!)

    Doctor Hugo is giving Ril a depth perception test, pushing him onto his backfoot to test his balance, shining a light in the Aaracokra’s eyes. “Just coming off sickbed with “Vertigo”. The last of em’!” Slevin explains happily. “Hugo’s an absolute miracle worker with talk-therapy and herbal remedies!” The Doppelganger sighs, longingly, as he watches the Doctor work.

    The handsome Dwarf before Arno stirs his pine tea, listening carefully as the Changeling tells him of what they saw under the waters before the Anemones intervened. “Hmmmrph,” Slevin De’Tres says as the Changer finishes, running his hands over his beard. “Now, I only had my first five days to spend with my brethren and the remaining Demons, mind. Still, s’strange. Thing about Doppelgangers and the Expanse is, good number of em’ came out here because they didn’t need to change; for this place of *anyone* *YOU* know, Arno; the Expanse cares very little, maybe less than most places in the Rational Realms, about appearances. I mean, sure, from our ranks you’d get your usual Deep Plants, out of mission or habit…pretend heads-of-state, pretend long-lost-kin, pretend lover-thought-lost-at-sea-returns…but those are all one-offs, rogues or the elite."

    "Now, a group of Doppels, all-together…in disguise…in stolen clothes, no less?” The Dwarf* stirs his drink with a spoon, clinking the metal implement against the sides of the tin cup in concern. “Sounds like…proper organization. From the top. Like, Evvdia’s planning something.” The hands which grip the spoon are white with fear. Sweat builds on the Doppelganger’s brow. He looks scared; for himself, and for Arno. Slevin mutters thickly, staring deeply into his drink, “My people, they don’t need to blow holes in our Ship to hurt us. I’ve heard of Evvdia destroying men’s entire lives, without a lifting a blade. Just the right face, in the right place. Take care out there!

    Ril receives a clean bill of health from Hugo the Aasimar. The Aaracokra nods, curtly, at Arno as the big bird passes and heads back above deck.

    Either still enraptured with Hugo or eager to change the subject (maybe both), Slevin goes on, “Now, what Hugo does, I feel like I could never do. Just the talent involved in being able to look at people, see what makes them sick, help make em’ better, you know? Although, he keeps telling me it isn’t just talent…it’s mosty education…”

    Arno, Slevin De’tres has expressed his Heart’s Desire: To begin a proper Medical Education, making him a more aware and productive member of the CLINIC! If you can find the Doppelganger a decent teacher, maybe pay for his introduction literature, you can permanently increase the Ship’s total MORALE by 1! Keep your eye out for medical practitioners, or ask around with appropriate parties you find during your travels.

    Slevin’s “Heart’s Desire” has been added to your QUEST LOG!

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    Oak sighs loudly as Arno runs off. The damned Changling had walked him right into that trap and he had let it happen.

    "Ya' see Jack, Pirate towns like to have fun...."

    "I mean, we're all adults and...."

    "Ah, damn Arno to hell. Jack, it's a place where pirates go to meet women and pay to be touched by 'em."

    AustinP0027 on
    mrpakuzekebeauGlal
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    Urixes smirks at the conversation, then offers an out by continuing his train of thought. "I suppose I might head to the library. The Lurker is more ... communicative, out here. It might be a good idea to look for other sources of power. Just in case." His face darkens. "Might have to do something drastic at some point."

    OOC: I'll head to the oddities shop/library/etc and spend time researching spells and other sources of magic that aren't tied directly to my patron. In a practical sense I might look for a few more rituals to add to my spellbook.

    Denada on
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    WHISPERED CURSE- DAY 40 - Southeast Wind/Thunderstorms/Volcanic Fields

    MIDDAY
    Gradually throughout the 40th day of your Voyage, the seas beneath your Ship grow more and more “temperate”. The overgrown tangle of the Kelp Forests become sparser by each mile, and soon the oceans beneath you are devoid of all but the heartiest aquatic creatures. Brilliant greenery is replaced by arid, empty dessert. The sight of hydrothermal vents subtly slip into view, slowly growing to pockmark the deeps around you. The waters of the Expanse slowly, noticeably start to bubble beneath the surface. Steam begins to fill the air as the ocean simmers, cooking the Ship and the atmosphere around you. You have to shield yourself, lest the boiling mist burn your eyes or skin. And it’s hot, so godawful HOT...

    ahv2afygu0i7.png

    Meanwhile, the cloud cover overhead churns endlessly over onto itself, until from the middle of the overhead roil, a dry thunderstorm is produced…
    ...

    EARLY EVENING
    ”…nothing to be done for it,” The Captain grunts, annoyed as another bolt *DARTS* between the sky and the bubbling seas.. “By the time we noticed what we were in, we were well in it. Turn around now, and we might be out of food before we reach sight off Chaff, and then god’s know how long the Crew keeps it together after that!”

    “I appreciate your position. I do.” Says Hugo sadly, trying his best to keep this between him and the Captain as ears eavesdrop nearby. “But what I’m telling you is that it doesn’t even matter if we turn around now. It’s already too late.”

    “What do’ya mean?” Captain Ari says nervously, drawing closer to the Doctor and speaking in hushed tones.

    “…I mean, I’ve already seen symptoms start to appear among the Crew. Excessive dryness. Irritation. Pink-red hue. Infection occurs through transmission by water, and, well…”

    “The Ocean has been cooking us like people-soup for miles. Fuck. Fuck.” The Captain *BASHES* the side of the wall with a balled fist, sending Bluurg nearby scurrying for cover. Taking a deep breath and a moment to gather herself, Arabella finally asks: “How bad is it?”

    Hugo pulls out his medical notebook, flipping it to the most recent page. Without making eye contact with the Captain, he clinically replies: “…about as bad as it can get, Madame Captain. We are looking at a near-pandemic here…”

    nwxvp03117t8.png

    The Crew has been struck by Pandemic levels of ”Sight Rot”! This disease will randomly affect roughly 1/3 of the Crew. Today, that 1/3 includes Jack and Arno. Please make a Constitution Save (DC-15) or become infected.

    ”Sight Rot”:
    This painful infection causes bleeding from the eyes and eventually blinds the Victim.

    A beast or Humanoid that drinks water tainted by sight rot must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or become infected. One day after infection, the creature’s vision starts to become blurry. The creature takes a −1 penalty to Attack rolls and Ability Checks that rely on sight. At the end of each Long Rest after the symptoms appear, the penalty worsens by 1. When it reaches −5, the Victim is Blinded until its sight is restored by magic such as Lesser Restoration or heal.

    Sight rot can be cured using a rare flower called Eyebright, which grows in some swamps. Given an hour, a character who has proficiency with an Herbalism kit can turn the flower into one dose of ointment. Applied to the eyes before a Long Rest, one dose of it prevents the disease from worsening after that rest. After three doses, the ointment cures the disease entirely.
    Geth roll 1d20+3 Calvin Jenkins Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20 Yis Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Twitchy Joe Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+3 Yr-Us Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Bluurg Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Rhu Rhu Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Di-Lin Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Eilibis Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+2 Jared Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20 Refi Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20 Blacktooth Bart Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+3 Ril Con Save


    NIGHTFALL
    The excitement of the day continues, as little Carlee Burrowes, the Halfling Cook, is discovered dangling off a rope from the end of the Main Deck. Striker Killian sends up an immediate *holler*, and the Riggers and Deckhands quickly move to help pluck the little one up from the boiling waters, fearing the very worst. The Halfling is pulled (kicking and screaming) into view wearing a strange, fleshy suit, sealing her from head to toe like a seal (the rubber-like-material seems to have mostly protected the Halfling from the harsh effects of the heat). The suit is topped off with a nautical diving helmet, which the little lady twists off with a *T-SHISSSH*. The usually docile Halfling begins to absolutely berate Killian for bringing her back up, much to the Striker’s confusion.

    Carlee shouts,“Like’en I don’t know what the HELLS I’m doing, Killian Grant! This en’t my first field o’ thermal vents, ya know!”

    “But…Carlee,” The Old Salt tries to explain gently. “We thought you’d be cooked…or the lightning would get ya! Or, at the very least, you’d be catching the bleeding-eyes *CRAP* down there…”

    “I wasn’t in the water, stoopid!” Carlee chastises as Killian attempts to mansplain the danger to her. “And the only thing I was catching were these!” She produces a bucket from behind herself, one of the several attached to her rubber suit. Each bucket is full to overflowing with strange-shaped fruit, the flesh thick and neon-colored. “Flambraes!” she declares proudly. “A whole bushel of em’! Only grow in hot waters, near swamps. Cut one of these suckers open, give it ten or so minutes to cool off (so you don’t burn your damned' tongue out), and you’ve got a whole, hot-meal, right there! Tastes a bit like cinnamon and brown sugar, but much spicier! Great fer snacks, seasoning meats, flavoring coffees…”

    f2dj9c4w2c71.png

    Killian observes the fruit curiously, quietly impressed with the daring little cook. “Alright, alright…it’sa good find, I’ll give ya that…even if I’m not sure they’d be worth risking your life over!”

    Ye haven’t tried it yet…have a taste, then let me know if it was worth risking lives!” the Halfling says proudly, putting her helmet down and quickly working to take off the clinging rubber suit. “One more thing; that reminds me…” Carlee says, panting as she adjusts to the heat rolling through the Main Deck. “Y’mentioned...bleeding eyes…the Crew, they got the Sight Rot?”

    “Bout a third of em’ showing signs now, give er take,” The Striker says wryly. “Why…yer “Flambraes” do anything for the Red-Eye?”

    “Not a single, blessed thing I'm afraid…but “Eyebright” does…an it grows in swamps, just like, the one the Flambraes vines were growing towards. Mr. Oak…?” The Halfling says, waving over to get the Shifter’s attention.

    Oak steps over and takes a look towards the Horizon where the Little Cook points. Sure enough….less than a mile in the distance off the port side, the Shifter sees a tall cluster of tropical trees, growing out of squalid, shallow waters. The whole "island" is less than a square quarter mile wide, and coated in dense, choking jungle, and a shallow, ocean locked swamp. Roughly carved planks and sticks make up a primitive looking village near the treetops. The residents of the village can be identified by their shadows, running around in the firelight of bonfires hung between the trees…

    810t1mqwaanu.png
    ...

    The Whispered Curse is *cooked* throughout the day by geothermal vents, and the fire-weak structure sustains 2 HULL damage! (25/51)

    Carlee Burrowes discovery of delicious Flambraes fruit has added 1 FOOD to your Ship's stock! (18/50)

    You have all discovered the tiny, swamp/jungle village of “Stink-Pit”!The occupants of this small society are the Boom-Top Apes, who your group has not met before/has no previous association with. But in the swamp beneath the trees likely grows the “Eyebright” plant your Crew *desperately* needs to help treat the massive outbreak of Sight-Rot. How do you all choose to proceed?

    Do you take a Longboat over and approach the village openly, declaring yourself and your need to the Apes overhead (Charisma Check)? Do you attempt to steal over stealthily in the night, taking what you need and attempting to avoid detection (Stealth Check)?

    Does the entire Wild Bunch make the expedition to “Stink-Pit”, or do some of you (possibly the infected) stay behind? Those who stay behind may attempt to help Hugo and Slevin get ahead of the Sight-Rot infection (Medicine Check), *or* they may choose to try to help calm the soon-to-panic Crew about 1/3 of them bleeding from the eyes and at risk of blindness. Or maybe, something else- let me know!

    Calvin Jenkins Con Save:
    1d20+3 13 [1d20=10]
    Yis Con Save:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]
    Twitchy Joe Con Save:
    1d20+1 14 [1d20=13]
    Yr-Us Con Save:
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]
    Bluurg Con Save:
    1d20+1 17 [1d20=16]
    Rhu Rhu Con Save:
    1d20+1 6 [1d20=5]
    Di-Lin Con Save:
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]
    Eilibis Con Save:
    1d20+1 11 [1d20=10]
    Jared Con Save:
    1d20+2 7 [1d20=5]
    Refi Con Save:
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]
    Blacktooth Bart Con Save:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]
    Ril Con Save:
    1d20+3 9 [1d20=6]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    OOC: That's "Sight-Rot" to everyone on that list except Yr-Us the Koa-toa and Bluurg the Grung, who (despite being originally based on Slippy Toad), continues to be the untouchable dirtbag MVP of Rax's Ravagers

    mrpaku on
    Glal
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "These volcanic vents add a really interesting atmosphere, but I didn't really need a facial today. Maybe I can clear things up a bit."

    "Hugo, let me give a hand. We're able to navigate alright without me, but if Refi comes down with this stuff we'll be in serious trouble."

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for constitution

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for medicine

    OOC Would destroy water [letting me get rid of fog] let me act as a humanoid dehumidifier, and maybe give advantage on the Con saves? Just let me know how many spell slots you think it should cost if you like the idea.

    constitution:
    1d20+1 10 [1d20=9]
    medicine:
    1d20+4 9 [1d20=5]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    OOC: I like it! From the rules read, it looks like Arno would be capable of cranking "Destroy Water" up to a 3rd Level spell, making it capable of dissolving a fog or cloud of about 40 ft cubed (or, roughly half the Ship's length). If it sounds fair to you, Arno can do their level-best to evaporate the foul, boiling mists throughout the day, and I'll randomly reroll Con Saves for half of the infected Crew!

    In fact, Urixes has access to his own "Destroy Water" spell: between the two of you, you could spend your day magically attempting to kept the boiling waters off of your Crewmates (and ensuring a second chance for everyone who just got infected). Does that work for you (3rd Level "Destroy Water" spell vs. Viral Mists) as well, @Denada ?

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027Denada
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "You know, heat isn't so bad when it's a dry heat."

    Arno raises their arms, and starts channeling the magic of nature, burning off the infected mist from the decks of the ship. Through out the day they continue to try and dry the ship off, hopefully keeping the ship a bit healthier.

    "Wait sorry Hugo, I was listening to the wrong side. Do all dragonborn keep their hearts on the right side?"

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for medicine inspired

    medicine inspired:
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OOC See, that is how you spend inspiration!

    Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    In addition to acting as a magical-air conditioning unit for the Crew, the efforts of Arno and Urixes to channel the moisture from the airs around the Ship have helped to protect the HULL against the harsh forces of nature! (26/51)

    Arno, make another Con Save vs. Sight-Rot! Jack, add Advantage to your Constitution Save vs. Sight-Rot!


    "A Dry Heat"
    Geth roll 1d20+3 Calvin Jenkins Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20 Yis Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Twitchy Joe Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+3 Yr-Us Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Bluurg Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Rhu Rhu Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Di-Lin Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+1 Eilibis Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+2 Jared Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20 Refi Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20 Blacktooth Bart Con Save

    Geth roll 1d20+3 Ril Con Save

    Calvin Jenkins Con Save:
    1d20+3 18 [1d20=15]
    Yis Con Save:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]
    Twitchy Joe Con Save:
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]
    Yr-Us Con Save:
    1d20+3 16 [1d20=13]
    Bluurg Con Save:
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]
    Rhu Rhu Con Save:
    1d20+1 6 [1d20=5]
    Di-Lin Con Save:
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]
    Eilibis Con Save:
    1d20+1 15 [1d20=14]
    Jared Con Save:
    1d20+2 20 [1d20=18]
    Refi Con Save:
    1d20 13 [1d20=13]
    Blacktooth Bart Con Save:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]
    Ril Con Save:
    1d20+3 8 [1d20=5]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for constitution

    constitution:
    1d20+1 8 [1d20=7]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    That's "Sight-Rot" to Yis the Rak'ta, Rhu Rhu the Koa-toa, Refi Truespring, Blacktooth Bart, Ril the Aarakocra...and Arno the Changeling. It remains to be seen if Jack has been infected.

    Arno, since you stay to help Slevin and Hugo assist those sickened, you may choose three of them to come off sickbed through your care and medical skill. You may not, unfortunately, choose yourself.

    This will leave (vs. a possible 16) two sickened Crewmates, (whose symptoms will worsen) and at least one PC infected. The "Sight Rot" conditions will worsen over each Long Rest, and the victim will become permanently blinded after five Long Rests.

    The question now remains: do any of you remaining attempt to take a Long Boat out to the Ape Village of Stinkpit, seeking a cure for the remaining infected in the form of the "Eyebright" flower? Or is it time to move on, and continue towards Chaff, to seek medicinal remedies when you arrive?

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    OOCOak will still want to take the Long Boat, but deal with the Apes directly, no sneaking. Which means, need one of your fancy looking folks to come along.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    OOC Arno will heal Refi, Ril, and Rhu Rhu.

    Not to undercut the drama, but I've got lesser restoration on my spell list, and 2 crew getting bad sight isn't too bad, we'll be in port before they are full blind.

    Also, I feel there is a going blind/sea of sighs joke in there somewhere, but I can't make it work yet.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    OOCYou'll have to tell Oak to stand down if that's your plan. He's still in the "protect my crew" mode overall, so he's probably a little too jumpy.

    Though...if we decide this direction (go for boat, wait don't) then maybe we should actually RP it out.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    @AustinP0027 OOC How about we give the others a chance to weigh in, there are good reasons to want to grab at the plot hook, and getting more medicine than we need is trade goods that we can sell at Chaff. Just pointing out it isn't a do or die. If by the evening I don't hear strong opinions to go to the island, I'll RP Arno holding Oak back a bit.

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+7 for Con Save

    Con Save:
    2d20k1+7 19 [2d20k1=[12], 10]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited September 23
    Jack tilt his head at Oak, "Oh, huh. I didn't realise some people paid for that..." And with that comment he finishes his food, gets grumpy when he's refused second and stomps off.

    ...

    When the fog rolls in he's found up on the main mast, squinting and rub-rub-rubbing his eyes as the hot mist blinds him, however if there's one good side to his 'heritage' it's a pretty good resistance to diseases. Still, doesn't mean it's not annoying and having Arno blast the fog away sure makes it easier to see.

    "Oooh, a trip to meet new people? I'm game!" Jack is not exactly a fancy lad, but lack of credentials has never stopped him before. He clambers down from the crow's nest and looks excited to depart. "I think I have a clean shirt I could fetch?"

    "Now, remember to behave, Mister Fusspot. Put on your best cute face. And absolutely zero mauling."

    Glal on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes is eager for a break from fog duty. The ship is through the worst of it, and he's not a doctor. "I'll go too," he says to Oak, already grabbing his equipment.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak nods and grabs his stuff. "Right then. We go deal with the Apes. Be careful, can't trust 'em yet. But let's not start somethin'. Crew's already in rough shape."

    OOC: Seems like we're going to the island

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Busily moving medicine and fetching material for Hugo, the red drops begin to bead around Arno's eye, blurring their vision. Unfazed, the changeling realizes they are actually in better position than expected. Only 3 showing the worst symptoms, and one is themselves, and with a ready magical cure for the worst of it. Why, this sickness won't even cost them a day travel. Arno sees a familiar large frame, and as they pass sets their crewman at ease.

    "I overhead Carlee about the Eyebright, but don't trouble yourself going to the island. We've only got a couple with symptems and I've got a spell up my sleeve to make them right as rain."

    "Um...I wasn't planning to head over there," Killian says, confused why Arno felt they would be part of the outgoing crew.

    "Great" Says the rushed changeling. Glad I caught Oak before he headed out, poor guy puts so much on his shoulders he'd poblably run off for a cure we didn't even need.

    AustinP0027mrpakuGlal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 23
    NOTE: BOOM-TOP APES:
    The Boom-Top Apes are the Tiny-Kongs of the Inner Islands. Typically growing fifteen to twenty feet tall by adulthood, the massive creatures are a relatively “new” species to the Twilight Expanse. Seemingly overnight, the creatures appeared on the “Island” (more a giant-sized forest where the Apes make their home) of Boom-Top some thirty-odd years ago. No one is sure of the exact origin of the giant creatures. Some popular theories are: their size is due to the machinations of a mad wizard; that the jungle of Boom-Top grows out of a fallen meteor; that the Apes are a separate, secret evolution off of the primate line, natural selection sped up dealing as it must with the extreme dangers of the Expanse. Most people’s curiosity begins and ends at “Wild Magic be’ crazy”

    1p8nozajtspz.jpg

    The Ape’s culture and technology has come a long way in the relatively short span of thirty-years. The creatures have steadily evolved from primitive rock and stone tools, to being capable of steelwork, watercraft building, and basic architecture and engineering. They have taken to the waters, and attempted to establish colonies outside their home jungle. Despite their large size and seeming slow speed, the Apes are highly cunning and intelligent. They know their reputation among others in the Expanse as large brutes, and tend to lean into it.

    The Boom-Top Apes, although being incredibly versatile in a pinch, tend to focus on specialization in their lives and workforce. As such, they can seem to be rigid and inflexible in their thinking to outsiders. Their culture has (unfortunately) started to solidify itself along the most-base extremes of the other humanoid cultures: focusing on dramatic shows of force, conquest for conquest’s sake, hoarding wealth, and negative behaviors (drinking, drugs, and indulgences) taken to extremes as signs of an Ape’s “affluence”. The creatures have a well-defined (but ever changing) power hierarchy. Though billed a Geniocracy, in actuality authority is constructed around lower Apes challenging higher Apes for dominance with (often-deadly) physical contests, in an endless cycle of ladder-climbing and back-stabbing.

    The focus of their job role within the growing society typically determines an Ape’s fluency in Common. Most all Boom-Top Apes know at least a rudimentary amount of Common speech, but that’s all (despite their *fierce* recycling of the various cultures they have observed, the Boom-Top Apes take pride in being “separate” from the humanoids they mostly consider “brutes”). It’s only Traders, Scholars, or Diplomats among the primates that could be considered “fluent” in the Common language

    The Wild Bunch takes down their favored Longboat, headed out to meet with the Boom-Top Apes and seek the “Eyebright” flower. Arno stays behind in the Clinic, helping to smear a poultice over the eyes of Refi and Ril while Slevin watches studiously…

    “STINK-PIT”

    io453775pqsu.jpg

    The Boom-Top’s “tiny” village is a tightly grown mass of giant-sized palm trees, the fronds reaching easily over 150 feet tall. The trees are tied together with massive plank bridges and rope ziplines (each the thickness of a mast). The shallows here run up against the bottom of the palm trunks, which create a natural “dam” around the island’s center. Behind the giant trunks, the middle of Stink-Pit makes the Ape’s choice of name apparent: the island is dominated by a weed-tangled, overgrown, bubbling and stinking swamp. Reeds and cattails emerge in bunches every few feet.

    The steam around these waters lessens the closer the Wild Bunch’s Longboat draws to the island. However, the thunderstorms continue unabated. Near the tallest trees of the island, your group can make out copper lighting rods of a massive size, jutting up towards the sky and grounding into some of the trees. The Great Apes are nowhere to be seen: the giant creatures must be hiding inside their leaf huts near the apex of the trunks, well out of the dry-storm.

    As the Longboat approaches, your group can make out a flat wooden platform, connected to a great-large pulley system which runs up to meet the village overhead. This must be the Ape’s “front door”, built specifically for guests far, far smaller than they are. Surely enough, as the Wild Bunch rows up to the pulley-platform, two faces poke out from the trees above, taking in the new visitors. The Apes look gruff and unpleasant. Each carries a spear roughly the size of your Longboat (something you could, personally, be spitted and cooked on, were there a large enough fire). Neither primate makes a move towards the rope pulley.

    The Giant Apes take a long time appraising your group. They give Urixes a simple once over and seem to dismiss him out of hand, bored, or possibly annoyed. But Jack and Oak they glare at for some time. The two Apes exchange grunted queries between themselves, refusing to look away from the pair.

    Finally, the larger of the two Apes, a great tall-fellow with a shock of brilliant white sticking out of his head, *GRUNTS* down to Urixes. “WHO YOU? WHAT YOU WANT?”
    ...

    Given your current level of Renown with the Boom-Top Apes, these guys barely wish to speak with you, let alone allow admittance to their island. Wild Bunch, how (and who) do you choose to answer the Apes?

    Urixes, you may make a Religion Check to determine why they might be so dismissive of your presence…

    Jack and Oak, you may make a Nature Check to determine why they might be staring daggers at the two of you in particular…

    Everyone may make a Perception Check to feel out the personalities/situation of the two guard Apes

    Anyone who rolls below a five on the previous Intelligence Check may open the following spoiler for *another* possible option:

    They’re sophisticated Apes, sure…but they’re still Apes! Do they know who you are…because they *should*! Display your natural dominance by demanding that the creatures allow you admittance to their Swamp! Don’t take no for an answer! Win this pissing contest at all costs! (Charisma Check to beat your chest and be a Big Man)

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak keeps his eyes on the village as they approach, searching for danger. His eyes stick once the apes peek out with spears, but there's a hidden undercurrent with how he is being stared at.

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Nature
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Nature:
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]
    Perception:
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 23
    OAK

    …these two look at you and Jack the way you’d look upon rats found aboard the Ship. They simply *don’t like you*. You even being here means trouble.

    By the way his eyes glimmer with mocking laughter, the Big One with the white shock of hair is *clearly* lying; acting dumber than he actually is to put off the “tourists”. The smaller, younger looking Ape seems new to this work, but you wouldn’t be surprised if the Bigger Guy spoke fluent Common. In fact…right there behind them, in a hurried pile: huge studded belts; large loops, that must be suspenders; giant leather pouches. The Great Apes went as far as to disrobe as you arrived, in an attempt to play upon “dumb monkey” stereotypes and put you all off…

    mrpaku on
    Glal
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack whistles through his teeth a they approach the dock, "Boy, they build them big around here, huh..." He quickly zips up when he spots their observers. At least, for a little while, before whispering, "...did anyone remember to bring a present? Not the friendliest looking bunch." He waves with a sheepish smile as they keep boring holes through him with their eyes.

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Nature Check
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Perception Check

    Nature Check:
    1d20 15 [1d20=15]
    Perception Check:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    JACK

    They’re peering at Oak’s teeth, at the slant of Jack’s nose. Quietly discussing Oak’s hairiness, and the far-away look in Jack’s eyes. And Jack suddenly realizes, its Shifters. These guys just are wary-as-hell of Shifters; want nothing to do with them!

    And Jack can see why…upon the shoulders and chest of the older Ape, scars of a *dozen* different kinds have healed-over, the fur growing in rough patches around the old wounds. The scars are very distinctive, once you know what you're looking at: wolf bites; giant tusk gouges; tiger jaws; shark bites; pig gouges. The white-shocked Ape has, at one point or another in his life, been subject to (what looks to be) every type of were-creature there is. *No wonder* the primate is wary of Oak and Jack; he’s had about as much success with Shifters as Jack has had with Hags! Probably best to be sensitive to that fact if you choose to talk to the fellow…

    As to what Jack detects (besides that the creatures seem to be trying to play you for dopes by acting like dopes; *and* that they’ve shucked their clothes off, either to beat the heat or to convince you of their wild-nature), well, the Apes seem to be surly for reasons besides just the presence of Shifty-strangers. This island and its trees would probably be big enough for you guys and the Crew to live on, but with the size of these Great Apes? Jack would be surprised if there were thirty-total Giant Primates, on the whole of the island. And of that small Crew, these guys are stuck out here in the heat and lightning, on guard-duty? That’s a tough break! They must be pretty put out to be holding down the Fort, alone, at night, with nothing to eat, and even less to do…

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack sort of turns sideways until the micro griffon on his shoulder covers up his face. Sorted.

    zekebeau
Sign In or Register to comment.