As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] GAME OVER!! MAFIA CONCEDED!! VILLAGE WON!!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    So what I'm looking at is people who really pushed the J4 wagon over RU, knowing that RU was already fully under the bus this game and going to get either Day 3 voted or vig'd if they survived Day 2 and therefore taking the opportunity to push a villager wagon during a point in the game where voting records are still not saying much. So going by vote timing the folks that were in a clump which pushed J4 within striking distance of RU would be RU himself, Spectre, and Gizzy, and then pushing J4 over the hump after that we have Wildcat tying the vote (!), Phyphor breaking the tie, and then H3K and kime pushing J4 to 9 and basically ensuring the vote short of huge last minute shenanigans, with premium and Sir Fab coming in at the end of the day and pushing J4 to 11.

I am willing for now to write off Spectre and Gizzy's votes as "chaos energy" since I don't have otherwise strong feelings about them. I find Wildcat's vote extremely calculated because they'd know that someone would have to break that tie and push one wagon forward, but still have the plausible deniability of "well I was late on the wagon and didn't push it ALL the way over..."

Phyphor's vote isn't ideal but this is also a game where ties have big consequences so I think tiebreaking votes may always look a bit weird, and then H3K and kime signed J4's death warrant after we'd all decided RU was dying by Day 3 anyhow.

So H3K and kime are who I would look at right now. kime is being much less active this game than they were in Mega Man as a village.

because I'm mafia

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    So what I'm looking at is people who really pushed the J4 wagon over RU, knowing that RU was already fully under the bus this game and going to get either Day 3 voted or vig'd if they survived Day 2 and therefore taking the opportunity to push a villager wagon during a point in the game where voting records are still not saying much. So going by vote timing the folks that were in a clump which pushed J4 within striking distance of RU would be RU himself, Spectre, and Gizzy, and then pushing J4 over the hump after that we have Wildcat tying the vote (!), Phyphor breaking the tie, and then H3K and kime pushing J4 to 9 and basically ensuring the vote short of huge last minute shenanigans, with premium and Sir Fab coming in at the end of the day and pushing J4 to 11.

I am willing for now to write off Spectre and Gizzy's votes as "chaos energy" since I don't have otherwise strong feelings about them. I find Wildcat's vote extremely calculated because they'd know that someone would have to break that tie and push one wagon forward, but still have the plausible deniability of "well I was late on the wagon and didn't push it ALL the way over..."

Phyphor's vote isn't ideal but this is also a game where ties have big consequences so I think tiebreaking votes may always look a bit weird, and then H3K and kime signed J4's death warrant after we'd all decided RU was dying by Day 3 anyhow.

So H3K and kime are who I would look at right now. kime is being much less active this game than they were in Mega Man as a village.
    I generally agree with all of this, except I am not so suspicious of H3Knuckles. But that's mostly because I also agree with H3Knuckles that discrider and 38thDoe are suspicious, and it would be weird for me to agree with someone I was suspicious of. :P

So I'd lump my suspicions into three groups: discrider and 38thDoe (for their involvement in the RU bandwagons); Phyphor and kime (for low-ish activity); and Wildcat (who is actually fairly active, but whose activity has been of questionable help to the village).

But let's get some concrete votes down: Phyphor. I believe it was early in Day One that Phyphor said they appreciated the late vote close, because it gave them a chance to actually reason through votes, rather than just jumping on a bandwagon. Then they made a one-off vote Day One, and jumped on a bandwagon Day Two, which I find suspicious under the circumstances.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

because I'm mafia
    Kime

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm not opposed to a Phyphor vote but they did also make several posts explaining their reasoning for voting for J4 so I'm not sure I wholly agree with your reasoning there, I think breaking the RU/J4 tie would be the more suspicious aspect (assuming we don't buy the reasoning).

I'll park on Wildcat for now because as you say, claiming "I'm inactive" while being active and making a super sketch tie vote raises my eyebrows all the way up my forehead.

I'm not opposed to a Phyphor vote but they did also make several posts explaining their reasoning for voting for J4 so I'm not sure I wholly agree with your reasoning there, I think breaking the RU/J4 tie would be the more suspicious aspect (assuming we don't buy the reasoning).

I'll park on Wildcat for now because as you say, claiming "I'm inactive" while being active and making a super sketch tie vote raises my eyebrows all the way up my forehead.

Eh, I think the explanations were thin. These are the posts in question:
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Well, that slym push on day 1 right at the end was a bit weird. If RU is mafia, would the mafia obviously push a counterwagon on day 1 at the end? It's probably not a great strategy overall for precisely this reason, we're likely gonna take a look at RU and/or the late slym bandwagoners if RU is red. In any case it's almost certainly better for the vig to take a look than to use the vote to do it since we already have one record of him being saved by votes, do we need another?
    Like I said I really think RU is best checked by the vig, so let's see if there's anything behind J4 because ties are bad mmmkay. Otherwise we then start chasing the j4 wagon tomorrow too

And then one more post answering my question as to why the vigilante should kill Romantic Undead.

So one post explaining why we shouldn't vote for Romantic Undead, and suggesting that the vigilante kill them.

And one post jumping on the JaysonFour bandwagon to "avoid a tie." Which, if you're mafia, and you know both leading bandwagons are villagers, is kind of an easy excuse for a vote.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Locus wrote: »

Well, that slym push on day 1 right at the end was a bit weird. If RU is mafia, would the mafia obviously push a counterwagon on day 1 at the end? It's probably not a great strategy overall for precisely this reason, we're likely gonna take a look at RU and/or the late slym bandwagoners if RU is red. In any case it's almost certainly better for the vig to take a look than to use the vote to do it since we already have one record of him being saved by votes, do we need another?
    Like I said I really think RU is best checked by the vig, so let's see if there's anything behind J4 because ties are bad mmmkay. Otherwise we then start chasing the j4 wagon tomorrow too

And then one more post answering my question as to why the vigilante should kill Romantic Undead.

So one post explaining why we shouldn't vote for Romantic Undead, and suggesting that the vigilante kill them.

And one post jumping on the JaysonFour bandwagon to "avoid a tie." Which, if you're mafia, and you know both leading bandwagons are villagers, is kind of an easy excuse for a vote.

Ties are universally bad for the village under this ruleset. Best case scenario is you hit one mafia and two villagers, expected outcome is three villagers which is effectively losing an extra day

So yeah, I broke the tie. I didn't love the J4 wagon, there seemed to be no reasoning behind it, but "a pox on both your wagons" and a third person vote wouldn't have changed anything and then we'd probably already have a bunch of votes for whoever was left standing from yesterday

I'm really not sure why you are expecting deep analysis on days 1 & 2 though when there is basically zero information

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I'm still of the mind that causing a tie with only 4 hours until vote close and a lot of votes in is a much more calculated mafia move than breaking one. Wildcat's vote is kind of a win-win play if you're mafia because someone now has to break the tie to avoid the chance of multiple villager deaths. Once a tie is broken and the votes are 7-6 with only a few hours to close, the overwhelmingly most likely scenario is that whoever got to 7 first will get the remainder of the votes (which is exactly what happened). No one's going to risk a tie with so few outstanding votes to come in and only a few hours to close. So if the mafia cause a tie there, they get two outcomes, both good:

-Someone breaks in favor of J4. J4 dies to the vote, RU either gets vig'd that note or almost certainly gets voted out the next day, both great outcomes. This is also the more likely outcome because momentum is a huge factor in how people vote. The J4 train picked up steam very quickly and once they tied it was much more likely someone would break for J4. I don't think there's any good reason for this beyond how the human mind works but it happens all the time, a train that's behind but gaining momentum almost always overtakes a train that's out front but hasn't moved much for a bit.

-Someone breaks in favor of RU. RU either dies to the vote or uses the vote immunity power they might have taken from the challenge, and J4 + early pushers of J4 now have a pall of suspicion hanging over their head from the previous day (since, as previously established, RU was completely under the bus from day 1 basically, so it was actually in the mafia's interest to keep RU alive for as long as possible since he'd always be front and center in the voting conversation and the longer he lived the worse he looked).

An early tie is like, whatever. A late tie with so many votes in, a few hours before close, where both outcomes of someone breaking the tie can be played to your advantage, would be a great mafia play and a terrible village play. So my current best thinking is that Wildcat is either mafia or playing like one and in either case that's where I want to look right now.

Is that overthinking things? Probably! Do I have any actual information to do useful analysis on? No!

It is my God given right to throw around wild accusations based on the flimsiest of evidence.

Just to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with the Wildcat vote. Just stating the reasoning for my vote, that's all.

No for sure, the more villagers we have posting their thoughts out loud and bouncing ideas off each other the better. A quiet village is a dead village.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Is that overthinking things? Probably! Do I have any actual information to do useful analysis on? No!
    No for sure, the more villagers we have posting their thoughts out loud and bouncing ideas off each other the better. A quiet village is a dead village.

i haven't got a single thought in my head this game

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

because I'm mafia

I feel like this is a trap...

H3Knuckles

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    the kime gambit is always a trap.

anyway, i reread some of the thread. i'm feeling AustinP0027.
    exactly the right activity level for someone very engaged trying not to post in the thread too much.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Here's a peak into my battleship voting strategy.
    I divide the signup list into 3 quadrants. I assume there's at least one mafia in each quadrant. (this is not 100% b/c random be random)

I pick the quadrant I know the most about so there's a higher shoot the fish in the barrel chance.

Quadrant 1
    1. Brody
    2. Discrider
    3. SLyM - village
    4. Darkewolfe
    5. H3knuckles
    6. Lucedes
    7. AustinP0027
    8. LostNinja

Quadrant 2
    9. Sir Fabulous
    10. JPants - village
    11. Cythraul
    12. 38thDoe
    13. Gizzy - i know me
    14. Auralynx - village
    15. Phyphor
    16. Romantic Undead - village

Quadrant 3
    17. Premium
    18. Kime
    19. Endless_Serpents - village
    20. 3cl1ps3
    21. JaysonFour - village
    22. TehSpectre
    23. Locus
    24. Wildcat

From quadrant 2 couple of barely active players there. I lean more for folks under the radar. I'll go for SirFabulous

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    WHERE'S THE 4TH QUADRANT

WHERE IS IT GIZZY

WHAT ARE YOU HIDING

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular

I'm still of the mind that causing a tie with only 4 hours until vote close and a lot of votes in is a much more calculated mafia move than breaking one. Wildcat's vote is kind of a win-win play if you're mafia because someone now has to break the tie to avoid the chance of multiple villager deaths. Once a tie is broken and the votes are 7-6 with only a few hours to close, the overwhelmingly most likely scenario is that whoever got to 7 first will get the remainder of the votes (which is exactly what happened). No one's going to risk a tie with so few outstanding votes to come in and only a few hours to close. So if the mafia cause a tie there, they get two outcomes, both good:

I'm not sure I'd agree with this completely.

When you're creating a tie, you're forcing a vote decision on the group. No run away wagon that mafia can hide in (or inactive people can jump on). A choice has to be made, which builds a vote record.

Now, yes, I agree mafia can force that choice, but just as you're doing right now, it's risky because you draw attention to yourself whenever you create a tie in the second half of the day.

There were still 4 hours when Wildcat created the tie, which gave the village the ability to really move one direction or another. In the case of RU, it was pretty clear there were enough people that were taking their arguments as village leaning to not want to vote him out, so Wildcat's tie opened up that possibility.

I'm not sure it's smart as mafia to actually ever cause a tie. Everyone always looks for people causing a tie, even if the tie is a good decision to force people to actually make a choice. Counter this logic with, what if J4 had been mafia, now suddenly Wildcat's vote looks incredible because they took the first step that allowed a mafia wagon to take over. It's a hindsight is 20/20 thing because in the end both were village. I don't think we can just assume that creating a tie on two villagers means you are more likely to be mafia.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Looking hard at the last half of the J4 wagon.
    Forcing the vig to shoot RU was daft.
    Just let the mafia control the vig.
    Especially to vote for J4 who hadn't done anything much as far as I can see.

Agreed on looking at the second half of that wagon, but I'm looking at [Sir Fabulous for now.

I’m torn between looking at super early RU voters (specifically 38th - potentially mafia trying to ruin a day’s worth of votes), or late J4 voters hiding on the wagon. Of the later I’m good with either Sir Fab or Premium

For resurrections, will the person be killed, their faction shown, then come back to life? Or will they just not die on that day?

Figure we should probably know the answer to this since we know it's out there.

The one thing that makes me shy away from a Sir Fab vote is that two games ago he was mafia and was very active and very helpful, so his relative inactivity this game indicates a shift in role potentially. Paper-thin logic obviously but what else do we have right now?

We've well and fully split the vote with 8 simultaneous people having votes on them, I guess I'll push premium for now if people aren't interested in Wildcat but I do think we should revisit that topic later (I am also 100% open to changing this vote if someone has a good argument in favor of someone else).

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

because I'm mafia

I feel like this is a trap...

H3Knuckles
    To be fair, the bragging rights for a mafia member who wins and gets to flaunt that they "told you I was mafia"

Forget posting habits, I'm going tried and true "if I were mafia, I'd say dumb stuff like this for sure"

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    For resurrections, will the person be killed, their faction shown, then come back to life? Or will they just not die on that day?

Good question that I didn't think to ask - as part of my 50 question novel on how prizes work and where do they fit into the OOO.
    Fun fact - the OOO changes every day depending on which prizes and how many are still in play.

My gut assumption is that the person simply doesn't die or will die without their faction being revealed if they have a rez pending, because public, host-performed hard-confirms are something most hosts try to avoid.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    My gut assumption is that the person simply doesn't die or will die without their faction being revealed if they have a rez pending, because public, host-performed hard-confirms are something most hosts try to avoid.

*panic flashbacks to the time I was rezed as a confirmed village by mafia who then claimed responsibility and to be a villager*

Think that was CJ

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    jdark revived you, cj took credit for it. Uh, I hear.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I divide the signup list into 3 quadrants. I assume there's at least one mafia in each quadrant. (this is not 100% b/c random be random)

I pick the quadrant I know the most about so there's a higher shoot the fish in the barrel chance.

Quadrant 1
    1. Brody
    2. Discrider
    3. SLyM - village
    4. Darkewolfe
    5. H3knuckles
    6. Lucedes
    7. AustinP0027
    8. LostNinja

Quadrant 2
    9. Sir Fabulous
    10. JPants - village
    11. Cythraul
    12. 38thDoe
    13. Gizzy - i know me
    14. Auralynx - village
    15. Phyphor

Quadrant 3
    17. Premium
    18. Kime
    20. 3cl1ps3
    21. JaysonFour - village
    22. TehSpectre
    23. Locus
    24. Wildcat

From quadrant 2 couple of barely active players there. I lean more for folks under the radar. I'll go for SirFabulous

Is this system supposed to make my head asplode?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited September 2021
    38thDoe wrote: »

It could come to that .. unless we get a mafia and then I switch from battleship system to christmas tree system.

Gizzy on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Gizzy wrote: »

Quadrant 1
    1. Brody
    2. Discrider
    3. SLyM - village
    4. Darkewolfe
    5. H3knuckles
    6. Lucedes
    7. AustinP0027
    8. LostNinja

Quadrant 2
    9. Sir Fabulous
    10. JPants - village
    11. Cythraul
    12. 38thDoe
    13. Gizzy - i know me
    14. Auralynx - village
    15. Phyphor

Quadrant 3
    17. Premium
    18. Kime
    20. 3cl1ps3
    21. JaysonFour - village
    22. TehSpectre
    23. Locus
    24. Wildcat

Gizzy is gonna be so annoyed when it turns out our hosts put all their battleships in the same little corner

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular

Only those who have been eliminated already will be able to be revived again.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    So voting someone out and then rezzing them is basically a one time use, very roundabout seer? Kinda?

If someone is holding the rez power and die, does it die with them? Can they self-rez?

So voting someone out and then rezzing them is basically a one time use, very roundabout seer? Kinda?

If someone is holding the rez power and die, does it die with them? Can they self-rez?

No self resurrections.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    Mafia be asking ... does Gizzy have it, was she and Specter bluffing, can she self-rez, who do we kill?

RIDDLE TIME

My first is in chocolate but no in ham. My second is in cake and also in jam. My third at tea-time is easily found. Altogether, this is a friend who is often around. What is it?

All riddles are optional. All answers to the riddle are to be posted quoting the riddle itself. The first three people to post the CORRECT answer will be given the opportunity to receive a prize! You may only give ONE answer, so make sure you are positive about your reply! This is all based on the honor system, so please don't be a silly goose and look up the answer!

MamaWolf wrote: »
    RIDDLE TIME

My first is in chocolate but no in ham. My second is in cake and also in jam. My third at tea-time is easily found. Altogether, this is a friend who is often around. What is it?

All riddles are optional. All answers to the riddle are to be posted quoting the riddle itself. The first three people to post the CORRECT answer will be given the opportunity to receive a prize! You may only give ONE answer, so make sure you are positive about your reply! This is all based on the honor system, so please don't be a silly goose and look up the answer!

Sugar

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Is there sugar in ham?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

there's def sugar on my ham at xmas time

RIDDLE TIME

Cat!

Ham is often cured with sugar.

Please let me be right, because I actually feel halfway smart on figuring out some answer (right or wrong) in a game where I fully expected I'd not answer any riddles.

RIDDLE TIME

Cat, I think.