As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    It does not have cross-play, but weirdly it does have cross-progression. So its relying on the same servers for saving online characters across all platforms.

It's the same D2 under the hood, the amount of data transfered between you and the servers should be incredibly tiny
    I can't imagine there's much data transferred during Hearthstone matches and yet that game runs like ass and disconnects me regularly.

I'm betting/hoping that D2 has a combination of size constraints and packet optimization due to being built to run on infrastructure light years behind what we can do now

Hearthstone is also a product of its time in that "our cup runneth over, who needs optimization" in regards to data usage

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Season 24 in D3 should go through the end of Oct at the very least, right?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Yes, it will probably end mid-November.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So I think the 3 lines for betting are

Less than 30 minutes of downtime within the first day of launch and 0 optimization patches

Over 30 minutes of downtime up to an hour and/or 1 optimization patch

Over an hour of downtime and/or 2 optimization patches

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I think over an hour, cumulatively, of downtime seems a given

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I never played Diablo 2 so kind of looking forward to this. Were there cg cinematics in the original? And if so are we getting redone ones for this?

Prohass on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I never played Diablo 2 so kind of looking forward to this. Were there cg cinematics in the original? And if so are we getting redone ones for this?

Yes and yes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh man the story and cinematics in 2 were so good.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They removed some of the atmosphere in the remade cutscenes for some reason by messing with/removing/'improving' the lighting.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I was discussing D2 with a recent friend, talking about doing Pindle runs and cow levels and all that good stuff. Ya know, stuff that indicates you’ve put a good amount of time into the game. And at one point I quoted from one of the cinematics and they just kinda gave me a blank look.

They had never watched the cinematics.

Apparently they would just rush through and power level with friends and skip all dialogue, story, and cinematics. It blew my mind. It was like a thousand needles in my heart

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    It was like a thousand needles in my heart
    :rotate:

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    There’s a Lot more to
    I was discussing D2 with a recent friend, talking about doing Pindle runs and cow levels and all that good stuff. Ya know, stuff that indicates you’ve put a good amount of time into the game. And at one point I quoted from one of the cinematics and they just kinda gave me a blank look.

They had never watched the cinematics.

Apparently they would just rush through and power level with friends and skip all dialogue, story, and cinematics. It blew my mind. It was like a thousand needles in my heart

How can you have played Diablo 2 and not watch the Cinematics? Like that just doesn’t compute. I was floored by them when they first came out and they are what I looked forward to with each chapter and then when Blizzard made them for their other games, like WoW and Star Craft And Warcraft III I was captivated by the computer imagery and just the detail and work involved in making them and I just cannot imagine someone from that same time not being taken by them. Like everything looks nearly like that now, but back then, only CG could hope to look that good and even Toy Story didn’t hit me the same way because it was made to look fake and toylike (especially their people) but this looked real - for the time.

I do like the new cinematics, though I’ve heard they were Made with The new engine rather than how they did it before. I’m really looking forward to how everything looks and plays in this version when it releases in a few days.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    D2R preload is now available for PC, and it will be playable 8AM PT on Thursday.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    They removed some of the atmosphere in the remade cutscenes for some reason by messing with/removing/'improving' the lighting.

There probably is some loss of atmosphere, but as with Warcraft II, I find it's kind of hard to tell exactly...what...I'm supposed to be looking at with mid-1990's computer generated FMV, especially in a fantasy setting, and possibly missing out on details. It's probably not a problem everyone has, but it's not the best way to reveal information subtlety I felt, before Blizzard became on one of the best in the business around the time of Warcraft III.

Though I do find the image of Archbishop Lazarus as a clean-cut monk with a military-style Tom Hanks haircut flanked by two naked demon ladies in the original Diablo to be unexpectedly hilarious, and not at all what I expected.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Noggin wrote: »
    D2R preload is now available for PC, and it will be playable 8AM PT on Thursday.

If anyone has it on the Xbox series of consoles, the preload started Friday I believe. Check game library to see if it’s downloaded for you yet.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »

If anyone has it on the Xbox series of consoles, the preload started Friday I believe. Check game mission to see if it’s downloaded for you yet.
    I just started the PlayStation 4 preload.

• Options
    30 GB, damn.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Are these fixed characters in D2R? Never played Diablo or Diablo 2 but put an obscene amount of hours into Diablo 3 on PC and Playstation and it looks like some of those classes are gender locked? Like PoE?
    zepherin wrote: »
    So I think the 3 lines for betting are

Less than 30 minutes of downtime within the first day of launch and 0 optimization patches

Over 30 minutes of downtime up to an hour and/or 1 optimization patch

Over an hour of downtime and/or 2 optimization patches

Was hoping to play this tonight but this post just reminded me what an absolute clusterfuck Diablo 3's launch was. Perhaps they've accounted for all this given their releases since then?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    ED! wrote: »
    Are these fixed characters in D2R? Never played Diablo or Diablo 2 but put an obscene amount of hours into Diablo 3 on PC and Playstation and it looks like some of those classes are gender locked? Like PoE?

Yes, the purview of the remaster doesn't seem to be adding any new classes, nor visual customization for any of the classes that exist (unlike what's planned for D4, I think). So, Amazon is exclusively a woman, Barbarian exclusively a man, etc.

I think I recall the Diablo 3 expansion launching smoothly, but that's no guarantee of course. I was one of those people in the Diablo 3 beta, and while I certainly had some interruptions with D3's launch, I probably got off lucky.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yes, the purview of the remaster doesn't seem to be adding any new classes, nor visual customization for any of the classes that exist (unlike what's planned for D4, I think). So, Amazon is exclusively a woman, Barbarian exclusively a man, etc.

I think I recall the Diablo 3 expansion launching smoothly, but that's no guarantee of course. I was one of those people in the Diablo 2 beta, and while I certainly had some interruptions with D3's launch, I probably got off lucky.

Gotcha. I was thinking of just going Amazon, but Paladin looks like Yaphet Kotto from his ALIEN days in armor so I'm not sure I can pass that up.

One thing I am finding strange: this isn't 4K/60 on consoles? How is that possible? Is the engine just not able to take advantage of modern hardware?

• Options

I think I recall the Diablo 3 expansion launching smoothly, but that's no guarantee of course. I was one of those people in the Diablo 2 beta, and while I certainly had some interruptions with D3's launch, I probably got off lucky.

Gotcha. I was thinking of just going Amazon, but Paladin looks like Yaphet Kotto from his ALIEN days in armor so I'm not sure I can pass that up.

One thing I am finding strange: this isn't 4K/60 on consoles? How is that possible? Is the engine just not able to take advantage of modern hardware?

Interesting. I'm waiting for the technical breakdown from the likes of DF before making any judgements, but maybe it has to do with the nature of the overlapping engines (Halo: Anniversary style) that you can switch back and forth between? We're talking about Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 (I would guess Series S will clock in at 1080p accordingly).

Then again, we're still within the first year of those consoles running, which is historically when you see the most "compromised" titles of a generation. A lot of titles will end up hitting 1440p-1700p on an PS5 (and they'll run slightly higher, say, 1600p-1900p on Xbox Series X, but potentially with a less consistent framerate, though Xbox has VRR which I'm not sure if PS5 has? It's kind of weird?). You would hope this would be a slam dunk case but it's kind of strange game technically next to Diablo III for those reasons.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I don't think there's any native PS5/Series version? If so they are just targeting PS4/One, maybe not even the Pro consoles?

Despite the flat look of the game it seems like the entire world is fully rendered in 3D, as is occasionally evident when you're a moving light source in dark areas. I'm a bit worried they are hiding something about Switch performance in that regard. 25 FPS/ 480p to match the original? "Legacy" graphics only? Who knows!

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    I don't think there's any native PS5/Series version? If so they are just targeting PS4/One, maybe not even the Pro consoles?

Despite the flat look of the game it seems like the entire world is fully rendered in 3D, as is occasionally evident when you're a moving light source in dark areas. I'm a bit worried they are hiding something about Switch performance in that regard. 25 FPS/ 480p to match the original? "Legacy" graphics only? Who knows!

I thought there was a native 9th generation version (and a separate 8th generation version), but I have no idea. The game is definitely in a 3D engine though, it's a classic case of a fixed camera simulating 2D graphical assets (this has been true all the way back since SimCity 4), it was pretty evident in the PC beta.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Not sure if it’s the same on the PC side, but there was an image on the Xbox dashboard yesterday, shared by the developers, that stated that the game will be playable tomorrow at 8am PT. So they aren’t doing a midnight launch. Going to be 11am here in EST… at least I’ll be able to sleep in. lol

Edit: and according to this, looks like it’s all platforms: https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/diablo-ii-resurrected-release-time-3051323

Nitsua on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I'm reading that the PS4 Pro beta wasn't even able to lock 60 FPS at 1080 so... yeah that may have something to do with it. Also not a great portent for Switch version.

Even on the latest PC beta the cutscenes didn't seem to run that well on my rig.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Not sure if it’s the same on the PC side, but there was an image on the Xbox dashboard yesterday, shared by the developers, that stated that the game will be playable tomorrow at 8am PT. So they aren’t doing a midnight launch. Going to be 11am here in EST… at least I’ll be able to sleep in. lol

Edit: and according to this, looks like it’s all platforms: https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/diablo-ii-resurrected-release-time-3051323

Hmm. I don't think that is the case with Playstation (unless they have the timer wrong). Says it is unlocking at 12 midnight (for me at least on the East coast).

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    The game is really damn pretty and fairly demanding. I have a solid PC (2070 Super) and it was revving my fans up quite a lot. I didn't check utilization or anything, but it's relatively demanding graphically so I'm not too surprised that it's not maxed out on consoles as far as resolution and FPS.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I played the beta at 2160p at 60 FPS fine, but admittedly I'm on a RTX 3080. Also, there's not that much in the way of graphical options I think (though more than the original D2 had of course).

I can see this being a challenge at high resolutions for PSFro, PS4 and Xbox One. Even at 720p, this could be a problem for Switch.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man playing the ethereal season on my crusader has been sad. Like 3 ethereal drops and they have been poor to sad. Probably just the nature of paladin weapons not being as cool for a crusader.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think they should have been much more common given the randomness. I think my wizard found 5 over about 19 hours. They CAN be very good, but it was not particularly engaging without luck or considerable time invested.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think they should have been much more common given the randomness. I think my wizard found 5 over about 19 hours. They CAN be very good, but it was not particularly engaging without luck or considerable time invested.

Yeah the random nature of them and the serious power jump they can give you kind of sucks. Like my first one on my crusader had the ridiculous increased mount time buff so that was a waste, but then it also had damage increase based on paragon level which was a massive jump in damage even if it was a one hander versus my two hander damage. But the next two I got were just trash and its like darn it.

Though my sader got mega lucky and I got a primal two hand flail that rocks my world so its not all bad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Hmm. I don't think that is the case with Playstation (unless they have the timer wrong). Says it is unlocking at 12 midnight (for me at least on the East coast).

I'm not surprised if the game unlocks but there's no servers to connect to yet.

• Options
    To me, the Paladin in D2 always felt extra clunky to play since you only ever had the left click free for abilities (you "had" to keep right click bound to an aura). I haven't played D2 in ages and never touched any of the D2R betas, but I have to imagine the left click/right click two active binds limitations haven't aged well.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    To me, the Paladin in D2 always felt extra clunky to play since you only ever had the left click free for abilities (you "had" to keep right click bound to an aura). I haven't played D2 in ages and never touched any of the D2R betas, but I have to imagine the left click/right click two active binds limitations haven't aged well.

It hasn't!

No doubt there's enough people who are fine with it, either because they still actively play, or that's what they remember; but if you were never particularly keen on the Paladin in D2 originally, it's going to feel even more restrictive now, relative to any other arpg. It is, for the most part, a single button experience for Paladin. Well, two I guess, one for your single attack, and one for chugging mana potions until you get enough energy and leech to have it work without.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I played the beta at 2160p at 60 FPS fine, but admittedly I'm on a RTX 3080. Also, there's not that much in the way of graphical options I think (though more than the original D2 had of course).

I can see this being a challenge at high resolutions for PSFro, PS4 and Xbox One. Even at 720p, this could be a problem for Switch.

Sure! That pretty much echoes my experience. A 3080 is a beastly card; just saying that the remake isn't an "unintensive" game like an indie game where console users (or PC users without a fairly top of the line rig) should expect 4K and 60 FPS. Despite being a remake it's a damn pretty one, and I think they did a great job making it look like a fancy new game despite it being isometric and being "just diablo 2" under the hood from a gameplay perspective. It looked substantially better in motion playing it in the beta vs. what I was expecting from glancing at videos and screenshots.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular

wait? what? I remember being able to run fanatacism on right click and used it a ton for click to move, so if an enemy hit my path I'd just attack. so much so in D3 I was frustrated that certain attacks were tied to left or right click only.

• Options
    I do not recall being able to right click move/attack with an aura on RMB, but perhaps I am wrong. Still, my point was largely about only having one button free for any and all of your active attack abilities, whereas e.g., an Amazon could have Guided Arrow on left click and Multishot on right click at the same time.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Upon doing research on where and when I can rent a copy of D2R from Redbox I stumbled upon two harsh truths:

1.) There are no physical copies of D2R (yet)
    2.) Redbox doesn't rent games anymore

Guess I'm waiting for a digital holiday sale, then.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    When 2/3rds of your skills are Auras the RMB decision is somewhat understandable. Although 2/3rd of your skills being really narrow "passive" effects that you can't stack is a big design problem in and of itself. That whole element became a whopping 4 skills on the monk and crusader.

On release it seemed like you could maintain two auras by swapping them every 4 seconds or so, but that might have just been a visual bug. If it ever was a thing it has probably been addressed somewhere between expansion release and the 1.10 skills overhaul.

• Options
    I'm not saying it wasn't understandable when the game was being designed in the 90s, just that it made the Paladin feel clunkier than the other characters to me. I have to imagine the ravages of time would make it feel even worse now.

This discussion has been closed.