As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    To me, the Paladin in D2 always felt extra clunky to play since you only ever had the left click free for abilities (you "had" to keep right click bound to an aura). I haven't played D2 in ages and never touched any of the D2R betas, but I have to imagine the left click/right click two active binds limitations haven't aged well.

wait? what? I remember being able to run fanatacism on right click and used it a ton for click to move, so if an enemy hit my path I'd just attack. so much so in D3 I was frustrated that certain attacks were tied to left or right click only.

You can put skills anywhere with Elective Mode enabled. That option also lets you use more than one skill per category, and likewise doesn’t force you to use a skill in a category you don’t care about.

That said, there are still some that can’t go on left click. I don’t think the other slots have any restrictions (w/ elective). It really stands out to me on some classes, the more I get used to the Move-Only LMB of other games.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    To me, the Paladin in D2 always felt extra clunky to play since you only ever had the left click free for abilities (you "had" to keep right click bound to an aura). I haven't played D2 in ages and never touched any of the D2R betas, but I have to imagine the left click/right click two active binds limitations haven't aged well.

wait? what? I remember being able to run fanatacism on right click and used it a ton for click to move, so if an enemy hit my path I'd just attack. so much so in D3 I was frustrated that certain attacks were tied to left or right click only.

You can put skills anywhere with Elective Mode enabled. That option also lets you use more than one skill per category, and likewise doesn’t force you to use a skill in a category you don’t care about.

That said, there are still some that can’t go on left click. I don’t think the other slots have any restrictions (w/ elective). It really stands out to me on some classes, the more I get used to the Move-Only LMB of other games.

Didn't you originally have to jump through some hoops to enable elective mode? Like hit max level or something like that?

steam_sig.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Didn't you originally have to jump through some hoops to enable elective mode? Like hit max level or something like that?

Yeah, but those restrictions are long gone. Like you used to have to finish the game to get adventure mode, but at least seasonally its unlocked by default.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Yeah, but those restrictions are long gone. Like you used to have to finish the game to get adventure mode, but at least seasonally its unlocked by default.

Yeah but seasons weren't even a thing until long after the release.

steam_sig.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Elective mode has always just been buried in the options since release. I turned that on well before my first normal clear.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think it might not be locked to 4K on consoles because of the kind of game it is and how much variance there can be in terms of what’s on screen. Like you could probably get 60fps and 4K the majority of the time, but then add in coop and a bunch of enemies and you’ll need that variable resolution in order to keep 60fps. That would be my guess, just giving headroom for when there’s a bunch on screen

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    I recall there being a handful of specific areas in D2 where performance would really drop for some reason. I wonder if that's been fixed in D2R.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I do know that on the Series X (and I assume PS5) you can switch between a 60 fps mode or a high fidelity mode at 30 fps. This mode I believe stays near 4K, though I’m not sure where the 60 fps mode stays around. I’d really like to see Digital Foundry take a look at the game and give us information on the performance on the various systems.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh my god I can't wait to dive into this game. I need it so much right now.... My anxiety and stress levels are at their peak and D2R will hopefully help me relax a bit.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    I do know that on the Series X (and I assume PS5) you can switch between a 60 fps mode or a high fidelity mode at 30 fps. This mode I believe stays near 4K, though I’m not sure where the 60 fps mode stays around. I’d really like to see Digital Foundry take a look at the game and give us information on the performance on the various systems.

I would be very surprised if they didn't, especially given that this is one of a dwindling number of games apparently aimed at 9th generation hardware...that's also coming to the Switch.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I'm happy I have a job now, but I really did pick the wrong week to stop being a bum with too much free time.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I turned to Last Epoch for my ARPG fix the last few weeks and kind of spoiled my appetite for D2R a little bit, but I think I'll roll up a Barb anyway and play through Normal. Maybe further later on if they do end up continuing to patch it with balance/QoL chaanges. Even though I'm disappointed they didn't build the modding support that could have made this a more replayable game, I do still have a fondness for the campaign.

Zek on
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I'm happy I have a job now, but I really did pick the wrong week to stop being a bum with too much free time.

God, do I miss Working From Home. Round of Fortnite during lunch? Why not?

Having a mysterious-but-possibly-chair-related chest pain these last two weeks in my office hasn't helped.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mine has not yet unlocked.

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I just had MrLlama up on twitch and it sounded like his group had to restart the launcher?

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    edited September 2021
    Yeah I got in, literally just about to clear Den of Evil, quest marker came up to say I had 5 enemies left and the server dc's me...

Once again the Den of Evil thwarts me.

Dixon on
    edited September 2021
    4K comparison video of Switch (docked I assume) vs PC. It is rather blurry (720p? less?) but it does run smooth, at least in relatively idle scenarios.

Also trying to figure out how to move my single player characters over on PC, it is supposedly supported somehow...

rahkeesh2000 on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Yup. There go the servers. That was what. . . thirty minutes?

. . . at least there's no ambiguous error codes.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    I can still play, just can't identify anything lol, so weird.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Well, I was just booted off of my game and at the online login, my character was supposedly demoted to level 1 with all of my gear gone.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Yeah same. I couldn't identify anything so I quit the game and now she's level 1 again. Ah well!

Game looks and plays great though. Feels very modern and still nostalgic.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    strange i havent had a single issue yet.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    *edit* Character back, all good.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    4K comparison video of Switch (docked I assume) vs PC. It is rather blurry (720p? less?) but it does run smooth, at least in relatively idle scenarios.

Also trying to figure out how to move my single player characters over on PC, it is supposedly supported somehow...

As noted, the real concern will be in high-traffic areas. Still, it's a good start.

edited September 2021
    I'm guessing you can't swap freely between Online and Offline with a character? Was able to get in immediately Offline but Online is just stuck.

. . .also, PERFORMANCE mode seems to be the way to go; QUALITY looks better if you squint from your couch, but the game is so far zoomed out it really doesn't seem to matter.

EDIT: And holy cow - looking at the trader inventory you'd swear you were playing POE. Is POE doing an homage or just brazenly saying "Yeah we like Diablo 2. . ." Like the red and blue color they use for shit you can equip is straight up the same.

ED! on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I'm guessing you can't swap freely between Online and Offline with a character? Was able to get in immediately Offline but Online is just stuck.

Right, offline characters are forever offline.

Zek wrote: »

Right, offline characters are forever offline.

Gotcha. Able to create a character, but now stuck on "Creating Game."

edited September 2021
    Offline saves are in /Users/[User Name]/Saved Games. If your OG Diablo II is up to 1.14, there will be a folder there for that as well. Just copy the four files named after your character and you are good to go!

rahkeesh2000 on
    edited September 2021

. . .also, PERFORMANCE mode seems to be the way to go; QUALITY looks better if you squint from your couch, but the game is so far zoomed out it really doesn't seem to matter.

EDIT: And holy cow - looking at the trader inventory you'd swear you were playing POE. Is POE doing an homage or just brazenly saying "Yeah we like Diablo 2. . ." Like the red and blue color they use for shit you can equip is straight up the same.

Yeah PoE is 1000% a love letter to D2. It's its own beast at this point, but the devs are on record saying they literally conceived the idea for the game when they saw the initial gameplay reveal for Diablo 3 and hated the change in mood/art style from 2.

Not just inventory art -- they both have a quest in act 2 where the sun gets blocked temporarily, all sorts of stuff like that.

Fiatil on

Yeah PoE is 1000% a love letter to D2. It's its own beast at this point, but the devs are on record saying they literally conceived the idea for the game when they saw the initial game play reveal for Diablo 3 and hated the change in mood/art style from 2.

Not just inventory art -- they both have a quest in act 2 where the sun gets blocked temporarily, all sorts of stuff like that.

Ok that makes sense; I literally gasped when I saw it and thought "Holy shit, someone is getting sued." It is funny though - playing POE, which I quite enjoy and have sunk a TON of hours into - I remember thinking "I wish this were a bit more lighthearted like Diablo 3." Makes sense now though.

Also is the endgame of this game as robust as D3 or are you just grinding until you can beat the game on Nightmare?

edited September 2021

Yeah PoE is 1000% a love letter to D2. It's its own beast at this point, but the devs are on record saying they literally conceived the idea for the game when they saw the initial game play reveal for Diablo 3 and hated the change in mood/art style from 2.

Ok that makes sense; I literally gasped when I saw it and thought "Holy shit, someone is getting sued." It is funny though - playing POE, which I quite enjoy and have sunk a TON of hours into - I remember thinking "I wish this were a bit more lighthearted like Diablo 3." Makes sense now though.

Also is the endgame of this game as robust as D3 or are you just grinding until you can beat the game on Nightmare?

Nightmare is pretty much smooth progression as long as your build isn't garbo. (If it is, see Akara for a respec). Hell is where physical characters may need a bit of grind, or a large party, to get through to the end. Good casters can pretty much sail through. After that its pure item grind until you can stand up to the handful of optional/hidden Uber bosses. So there isn't nearly as many endgame challenges as D3, but some people like the item hunt better.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    For me 70% of D2 was levelling characters with friends and 30% was mephisto or pindle runs. It had no endgame. We once killed uber d with a three man party of necro sorc and I can't remember the third.

I had like 3 accounts full of level 80 characters because completing hell got you to about there.

edited September 2021
    When you think about it the end game of this isnt all that different than D3. You kill what you feel like that can drop max ilvl items and you do so over and over again until you get something good. There is no modern style crafting but there is are end game bosses online. That is if they put in dclones and ubers. And the trade in this game isnt all that different than PoE. heh. As horrible as it makes PoE trade sound (because it is). People tend to trade items for runes which is an equiv for currency heh.

Jubal77 on
    edited September 2021
    PoE trade is dramatically better and easier to use than Diablo 2's trade. Internally comparing PoE trade to Diablo 2 when I started PoE is probably why I'm the only one around here who likes PoE trade!

Indexing items and being able to search, and know the asking price from the listing, is on a completely different level from "join my random room and hope I have the items I say and you have the items/currency I want" -- it's not even close to the same experience, even if you're sending 10 tells per item in PoE.

I love D2 and am going to play a lot once the servers start acting nice, but trade is pretty terrible overall.

Fiatil on
    edited September 2021
    PoE trade is waaay better than Diablo 2. Comparing it to Diablo 2 is probably why I'm the only one who likes PoE trade!

Indexing items and being able to search, and know the asking price from the listing, is on a completely different level from "join my random room and hope I have the items I say and you have the items/currency I want" -- it's not even close to the same experience, even if you're sending 10 tells per item in PoE.

The items in D2 are much more static. You do the same process though. PoE trade is modeled after D2 like everything else in the game but changed in a minor way. Up until recently you had to use 3rd party to even have it indexed. It is pretty much directly comparable and having played PoE for 5k hours I know that it has its benefits but it is objectively bad comparable to what they could put in and actively refuse to. They also demean the pop that asks for it pretty regularly which is just meh.

Edit: I say "they could put in a better solution" because one exists in China servers. They were forced to put one in there. And it works great.

Jubal77 on
    Bah can't even join a game online right now. Might just go offline and roll with it.

Got it. I haven't gotten anywhere near the end-Endgame in something like D3 or POE, I just remember liking being able to jump on and do a couple rifts in D3 looking for green gear and then peace out. Was just curious if a system like that existed. It looks like the "Complete the game on Hell. . ." achievements are what you are meant to be grinding towards though (and something I'm sure I'll also never be able to do, just wanted to see if it was a one-and-done affair).

edited September 2021
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    PoE trade is waaay better than Diablo 2. Comparing it to Diablo 2 is probably why I'm the only one who likes PoE trade!

The items in D2 are much more static. You do the same process though. PoE trade is modeled after D2 like everything else in the game but changed in a minor way. Up until recently you had to use 3rd party to even have it indexed. It is pretty much directly comparable and having played PoE for 5k hours I know that it has its benefits but it is objectively bad comparable to what they could put in and actively refuse to. They also demean the pop that asks for it pretty regularly which is just meh.

Edit: I say "they could put in a better solution" because one exists in China servers. They were forced to put one in there. And it works great.

Trade indexing through premium stash tabs has been in Path of Exile for 5 and a half years (came out March 2016). Before they existed, and before the bot crawlers, yeah it was pretty much the same. I forget when the official trade website was released, but it was all but official with the premium stash tabs becoming public and everyone using poe.trade instead of having to list it on the forums.

But there's a reason the bot crawler stuff became so popular, resulting it officially being added to the game. I have 2000 hours post "official" trade support, and it's just an amazingly better experience. I was expecting D2 trade, and was planning on more or less going SSF in PoE as a result. But once I saw how much smoother it is than D2, I became incredibly engaged in the trade system and have no desire at all to play SSF.

It's not an auction house (which is a different subject entirely, since neither D2 or PoE go that way in the versions you and I are playing), but it's closer to that than using chatrooms and lobbies find what you want and then to haggle pricing. The searching functionality is incredibly robust and makes it so much easier to find what you need, and know the price, than Diablo 2. It's literally the difference between me trading and not trading -- it's a huge difference! But enough about PoE from me for now; the "should they auction house" discussion has been had 500 times in the PoE thread and is better off there -- it's not in D2, and hell even D3 took its out because of the mess it caused with supply and demand and the itemization that resulted.

Fiatil on
    In D2 the bosses are what drop the loots. So there isn't anything like a Rift you can jump into. You start a fresh game, and kill end-act bosses over and over again for the loot.

This discussion has been closed.