As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo] early access has ended :(, and so shall this thread

NogginNoggin Registered User regular
edited March 2023 in Games and Technology
LHB88gh.png
This thread is for all things Diablo:
...the originals by Blizzard North (Resurrected!), Diablo III, the infamous Immortal, and of course, Diablo IV!!
Please feel free to ask questions, share stories and items, plans for new seasons, hopes for new content, and so on!

CLASSES
Wowhead overview: https://www.wowhead.com/news/class-overviews-for-diablo-iv-barbarian-druid-sorceress-rogue-necromancer-328233

Season / Battle pass / Shop post:
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23816415/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-august-2022
  • Barbarian is able to use 4 weapons, and switches between them based on skills.
  • Sorceress can enchant two skills, making them stronger or more useful.
  • Druid freely shapeshifts based on skill usage, and can specialize with animal spirits to augment your build.
  • Rogue will mix both blades and bows, can imbue their weapons, and specializes in combo points, energy regen, or cooldowns.
  • Necro will have minions, blood/bone, and sounds like some actual DoT skills. Can sacrifice a minion type for passive bonuses.
  • Choice of gender and appearance for each.
  • Skill points earned by leveling and finding tomes in the world. Elective Mode-style.
  • Legendary item powers can be extracted into an “aspect” and applied to a rare item by an NPC.
  • Paragon boards unlock after level 50, and provide deeper control over how you build your character.
  • The skill tree appears quite simple at first, but has a lot of interesting interactions with legendary and unique powers, or the paragon board, that will keep you revisiting your options.

ITEMS
  • Uniques are back, and will have a strong focus on defining builds.
  • Items can add ranks to skills, going past the cap or providing a skills you don't have.
  • Less emphasis on sets, more freedom in where most of your legendary bonuses come from.
  • Runes are socketable items with a condition or effect, i.e. "when you use a potion, activate the next rune" paired with "reduce a random skill cooldown by 15%"

STORY
  • "Return to darkness", bring back the feeling of the earlier games. 20yrs later- Heaven is closed, Evils have returned, Lilith!?

GAMEPLAY
  • Large, open map with world events and other players. Dungeons are solo or party of four, and are seamless with no load screens.
  • However, Campaign areas in public zones are private until after the campaign objective has been completed. Entire game can be soloed.
  • Clans are back, including a clan bank.
  • Includes PvP, hardcore, seasons, and trading! (certain items will bind)
  • Controller support confirmed for PC, including option for Bottom-Left or Bottom-Center action bar
  • Endgame: so far...
  • dungeon keys are drops that will bring a specific area to higher level, with modifiers, allowing you to plan ahead for the content.
Diablo II: Ressurected
It's actually happening happened, it's out now!! Same game mechanics, new graphics, along with increased stash size, an auto-pick gold option, and controller support!

Runewords: https://www.wowhead.com/guides/diablo-2-runewords-types-bonuses-sockets
Diablo III PC: How to join the PA Clan - The Merch Hungers
You can always ask in thread, but the suggested method is to join the community PAF and request an invite. Clan officers are watching the community chat and will be able to invite you.

Switch player list
akjak - 4133-1546-2720
Bullhead - 8584-3896-5292
DoctorArch - 6732-9515-9697
eMoander - 3304-2356-9421
Kreutz - 1865-7515-8884
Kyanilis - 2835-3370-3810
Lindsay Lohan - 4979-2868-8944
Russad - 5307-0485-5998
Septus - 3333-7299-5216
skeldare - 3353-5433-5137
Stormwatcher - 5961-4777-3491
themightypuck - 1501-9129-2620
TimFiji - 2322-2047-3148
TNTrooper - 6905-2510-1809
UncleSporky - 5443-2358-9118
urahonky - 0354-0000-5457
Wraithverge - 0125-6851-0236
Entaru
Rehab
mojojoeo
DarkMecha

How to disable legendary item notifications in PC clan chat
  • Open the clan window ( Hotkey N )
  • Click the "News" tab
  • Above the top-right corner of the feed, click the "Gear" button
  • Uncheck "Items"

Level 1 gambling opportunities: ( Challenge rift cache after season starts + Kadala )
Barb - Lut Socks ( leap boots ), Slam/Hammer bracers, Band of Might ( toughness ring )
Crusader - Heart of Iron ( thorns chest ), Blessed Hammer bracers / shield, Sweep Attack shield
DH - Hellcat Waistguard ( grenade belt ), Wraps of Clarity ( toughness bracers )
Monk - Crudest Boots ( 2x allies ), Wave of Light/Exploding Palm bracers, LTK boots
Necro - Nailuj's Evol ( 2x mage ring), Grasps of Essence (Corpse explosion gloves)
Doc - Spirit Barrage mojo
Wiz - Ashnagarr's ( absorb bracers )

Finally, some other helpful resources: Official Site | Maxroll.gg build guides |Diablofans.com | Builds | Difficulty Levels & Drop Rates | r/Diablo Subreddit

- Thanks to Previous Thread makers Skab, GoodKingJayIII, Bethryn, Shen, SkutSkut, HexDex, & _J_

Battletag: Noggin#1936
Noggin on

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Didn't see that the previous thread was getting closed: Is the AMAZON a tank class or is that primarily the PALADIN. It looks like she's got some ranged options with her Javelin but she also starts with a shield.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    ED! wrote: »
    Is the Amazon a tanky class or is that primarily the Paladin?

Tanky in D2 is kind of not really a thing. Pali can stand and bang easier yes. But there is few one shot things in the game really. I mean you tele into a pack of mobs you will most likely die as a sorc but you can take hits even as a sorc from random mobs and bosses ok.

As an amazon you will be screen clearing so easy it wont make much of a diff :)

Jubal77 on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    @ED! I'm posting in this thread since I hit BOTP basically:
    Amazon isn't particularly tanky, no. I wouldn't say any class is inherently tanky but some have skills that increase their survivability. Paladin eventually gets Holy Shield, Barbarian has Natural Resists, warcries, I think natural armor increase, Sorceress has Energy Shield though you need high Mana for it, Amazon does have Dodge and Evade but it requires a lot of Hit Recovery so you don't get animation locked, Necro has Bone Armor and synergies, Druid has the elemental armor with synergies, Assassin has Fade.

Being tanky involves a few things, which any class can do:
    Stack Vitality
    Max out your resists
    Any item with "Cannot be Frozen"
    Run a good shield with enough Dexterity to have high block chance combined with Fast Block Rate so you aren't animation locked (this isn't required, but if you're concerned about being tanky...)

Basically, no class will be tanky if you don't try to make it tanky.

Feldorn on
    edited September 2021
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Is the Amazon a tanky class or is that primarily the Paladin?

Tanky in D2 is kind of not really a thing. Pali can stand and bang easier yes. But there is few one shot things in the game really. I mean you tele into a pack of mobs you will most likely die as a sorc but you can take hits even as a sorc from random mobs and bosses ok.

As an amazon you will be screen clearing so easy it wont make much of a diff :)

Having enough Hit Recovery and Fast Cast is what really makes you tanky :biggrin:

Really, the best tank is a Werebear druid with Shockwave. They will have massive life and keep everything in front of them stunned.

Feldorn on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    COMPLETELY forgot they added shared stash. I'm going to roll offline until online normalizes. This way if I'm feeling altitis hit me it won't bother me to transfer gear.

Alright; good background. I think I'm going with PALADIN first go. I just like "aesthetically" sword and board characters and the PALADIN fits that (while also looking like pretty badass; like Laurence Fishburne in OTHELLO).

. . .also the music in this is really good. Just in the den but the transition from flute to more ominous drums sounds great.

Alright; good background. I think I'm going with PALADIN first go. I just like "aesthetically" sword and board characters and the PALADIN fits that (while also looking like pretty badass; like Laurence Fishburne in OTHELLO).

. . .also the music in this is really good. Just in the den but the transition from flute to more ominous drums sounds great.

Hope you enjoy it. The game is old school but it is the grandfather of all modern arpgs as well. Pali is fantastic and a very good starter as doesnt need high end gear to end game boss at all.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I have some d2 tracks recurring on a soundtrack playlist on spotify and I have used d2 music for dnd ambience.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Nice bonus: on the cinematics menu, there's a checkbox for "legacy". This lets you play the OG cinematics in very high quality, seems even sharper than the collector's edition DVD; it might be taken from an even higher res original render, or AI upscaled.

edited September 2021
    I recently started a Holy Freeze Zealot Paladin on old school D2 and had a lot of fun with it. Was rocking through Nightmare yesterday. Even on BNet farming wasn't too bad.

Paladin has quite a few good options.

The most annoying part of playing on BNet is desync and it happens a lot even if you have a good network/ISP.

Feldorn on
    Feldorn wrote: »
    I recently started a Holy Freeze Zealot Paladin on old school D2 and had a lot of fun with it. Was rocking through Nightmare yesterday.

Paladin has quite a few good options.

My smiter on my holy grail is one of my fav mephisto slayers heh.

Oh no. There's durability.
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Hope you enjoy it. The game is old school but it is the grandfather of all modern arpgs as well. Pali is fantastic and a very good starter as doesnt need high end gear to end game boss at all.

I've always wanted to play it (even though I was spoiled on the ending) - just the graphics and QoL were a big nope for me. I'm finding - in D2R - the mix of old school and new to work pretty well actually. Like the animations are straight out of early 2000's, but the graphics, controller support, etc. put it firmly in the now. Also not sure how well the sound was back then but it sounds great on thick speakers.

The sound design behind Diablo 2 (and 1!) is absolutely incredible. It's probably why I have so much nostalgia for the game. Just hearing the music is enough to take me back.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I just started checking the achievement list - oh man, I love it when they get creative and put some humor into them. I’m really loving the Chapter end ones.

Edit: there are no hidden ones either, which I’m assuming is intentional. They all seem attainable - though the hardcore ones are going to be a bit of a pain.

Nitsua on
    edited September 2021
    Ok yeah, in the first hour and 5 levels of playing this, it is crazy seeing shit in here that other games also do that I thought they did first. The inventory system, the gems, multiple levels to spells (I feel like this wasn't in D3, I might be misremembering), interacting with rocks and shit to loot-spawn items (hell even the sound effect is the same in Grim Dawn or maybe it is POE) - it'll be interesting to see what other "progenitor" design decisions pop up the further in I get.

ED! on
    Ok yeah, in the first hour and 5 levels of playing this, it is crazy seeing shit in here that other games also do that I thought they did first. The inventory system, the gems, multiple levels to spells (I feel like this wasn't in D3, I might be misremembering) - it'll be interesting to see what other "progenitor" design decisions pop up the further in I get.

Yeah spell levels didn't exist in D3.

And keep in mind that you'll want to look at synergies to make your skills even better. For example if you're going to do a Frozen Orb sorceress then you need to put points into Ice Bolt because every point into Ice Bolt gives it a boost of 2% damage.

urahonky wrote: »
    And keep in mind that you'll want to look at synergies to make your skills even better. For example if you're going to do a Frozen Orb sorceress then you need to put points into Ice Bolt because every point into Ice Bolt gives it a boost of 2% damage.

I saw that. I think GRIM DAWN does something similar; I know there are crazy amounts of synergies in that game. Also how does durability work; I had an item break on me (I didn't realize it until I saw my guy was punching things). Went to repair and I feel like items are now NOT going down in durability?

. . .and these FALLEN are little shits. I guess this is where you are meant to use the bow and arrow.

urahonky wrote: »

I saw that. I think GRIM DAWN does something similar; I know there are crazy amounts of synergies in that game. Also how does durability work; I had an item break on me (I didn't realize it until I saw my guy was punching things). Went to repair and I feel like items are now NOT going down in durability?

. . .and these FALLEN are little shits. I guess this is where you are meant to use the bow and arrow.

Durability is low on broken type items. You are most likely wearing one of those since you are early on. You can repair them with one click with charsi in the camp. Repair on town trips is something sadly you will have to get used to. I dont really notice it as I use the repair person usually as my sale person through the acts.

And, RAKANISHU! (yes they are little shits heh)

PS Always go for the shaman first.

edited September 2021
    As I recall most armor only degrades when a hit recovery animation is triggered. Which can be practically never depending on the situation, as its only when you lose more than some % of your health in one hit. Blocking might degrade shields too. Also death.

Weapons degrade when you use them, which is never for casters. A few weapon skills might even get around that too.

rahkeesh2000 on
    Isenhart is my first set/unique drop....

I thought it was going to be arctic.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Didn't see that the previous thread was getting closed: Is the AMAZON a tank class or is that primarily the PALADIN. It looks like she's got some ranged options with her Javelin but she also starts with a shield.

Amazon has too many advantageous ranged attacks--best bow user, spears early game, etc.--to tank.

Also, better explanations offered by people above.

edited September 2021
    Interesting. I died. In the second cave area.

EDIT: Jesus. This frost debuff is fucking brutal.
    Synthesis wrote: »

Amazon has too many advantageous ranged attacks--best bow user, spears early game, etc.--to tank.

Also, better explanations offered by people above.

Nice. I'll definitely get back to them when it is time to try a ranged class.

ED! on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Ok yeah, in the first hour and 5 levels of playing this, it is crazy seeing shit in here that other games also do that I thought they did first. The inventory system, the gems, multiple levels to spells (I feel like this wasn't in D3, I might be misremembering), interacting with rocks and shit to loot-spawn items (hell even the sound effect is the same in Grim Dawn or maybe it is POE) - it'll be interesting to see what other "progenitor" design decisions pop up the further in I get.

Note that D2 didn't come out of the box like this. Things like runewords, skill synergies, and others were added in over the course of a decade of patches. D2 still "did it first" in the arpg category but it was an evolving game that pulled together ideas from its non-arpg contemporaries (MMOs being a huge influence)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Here’s a fun launch ad featuring Winston Duke

https://youtu.be/u5AWehOMLFQ

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I'm pretty sure that's not a parody of anything, but just how confession plays in the Church of Zakarum anyway. :D

Synthesis on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So with servers down, can I start in SP and then take that same character online? Or are they separate?

Steam: offday
    Looks like servers are going down; I was noticing some ROUGH lag and rubber banding so probably for the best. Really enjoying the simple but with depth gameplay so far. Also the writing and voice acting seem CRAZY better than D3.
    anoffday wrote: »
    So with servers down, can I start in SP and then take that same character online? Or are they separate?

Folks mentioned that this was separate. Why, I'm not sure. I get that they don't want SP hacking to ruin folks online experience but I feel like that concern should be limited to the leaderboards and seasonal content. Would make situations like servers going down not sting as much.

Offline is offline always due to cheats, mods, and hacking.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Time to pay the winners. Who had Over an hour of downtime?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Managed to connect to the servers...still wary about playing my Online character. Played for about 1.5 hours, got my rogue follower and some decent starting gear...then got disconnected and it reset me back to start.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Ringo wrote: »

Note that D2 didn't come out of the box like this. Things like runewords, skill synergies, and others were added in over the course of a decade of patches. D2 still "did it first" in the arpg category but it was an evolving game that pulled together ideas from its non-arpg contemporaries (MMOs being a huge influence)
    That's mostly true, although the bulk of what was added was in by 1.10, which was about 3.5 years after the original D2 release. The only noteworthy stuff I can recall really being added in the next 7 years were a couple more end game events (but the concept was started in 1.10 with Uber Diablo) and respecs.

forty on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Day 1 shitshow bet is paying out.

Yeah Brevik pulled alot of what was put into Diablo from RPGs he liked. He really likes runewords as a mechanic heh. He put it in his latest game too heh.

edited September 2021
    forty wrote: »
    Day 1 shitshow bet is paying out.

I wouldnt call it a shitshow yet. By the looks of twitch a vast majority of people are like me. Just about an hour of downtime total with no other issues.

Jubal77 on
    edited September 2021
    Looks like servers are going down; I was noticing some ROUGH lag and rubber banding so probably for the best. Really enjoying the simple but with depth gameplay so far. Also the writing and voice acting seem CRAZY better than D3.

You should see Diablo 1...
    Folks mentioned that this was separate. Why, I'm not sure. I get that they don't want SP hacking to ruin folks online experience but I feel like that concern should be limited to the leaderboards and seasonal content. Would make situations like servers going down not sting as much.

You *really* should see Diablo 1....

rahkeesh2000 on
    Yeah it "resets" your character but it should show up later.

Playing offline is fine for me right now. If you do play offline don't forget you can type /players <x> (ex: /players 8) to set the number of players in the game. This way you get more EXP and better loot... Of course everything hits harder so there's that.

• UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    I’ve had no issues connecting so far. Just hit 15 on my fishymancer. Time to go past Tristram runs

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    forty wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

That's mostly true, although the bulk of what was added was in by 1.10, which was about 3.5 years after the original D2 release. The only noteworthy stuff I can recall really being added in the next 7 years were a couple more end game events (but the concept was started in 1.10 with Uber Diablo) and respecs.
    Linear time is a lie

1999-2003 was like three decades worth of stuff all on its own (irl, not in diablo patches)

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't call the launch a shitshow so far. Some issues at launch isn't crazy -- I tried it at lunch, and yeah servers down. But got back from work and everything seems largely cool -- that's not even close to WoW Classic (or WoW, classic) or D3 or anything like that.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png