As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    ZX legacy is DS emulation, which has 4:3 screens. Its not like you can easily extend the main display out to 16:9 to use the space any better.

This Advance collection is likely emulation as would be any DS collection. They ain't updating that ancient handheld code to run directly on modern things.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    DS had 5:4 screens actually, making them even less suitable to stretching out out 16:9.

edited September 2021
    DS had 5:4 screens actually, making them even less suitable to stretching out out 16:9.

No each DS screen is definitely 4:3.

The 3DS top screen was 5:3 it seems.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Huh, could've sworn Nintendo had put out a handheld with that ratio, and I remembered the GBA and GB(C) weren't that (3:2 and 10:9 respectively), guess I was confusing it my memory with another odd screen in my household at that time.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I would like an option to just toggle which screen is displayed with a button, and an option for really plain or even just black bars on each side to keep the aspect ratio right. Then add a few filter options, and we're golden.

I think there was a fan patch of Dawn that removed the stupid touch screen stuff, surely Konami could get that done.

Yeah, I'm expecting too much.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Funny thing is that Dawn already has something without the touch screen stuff. Julius Mode just skips the seal-drawing when you kill bosses.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    If they're going to release it to multiple platforms they'll have to remove the touch screen stuff.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
    edited September 2021
    Remove touch from the main game but I'd still like to see the dumb touch-only modes like the vamp sisters in PoR in most versions. Between Switch touchscreen, gyro, and mouse, there are things that can work well enough.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    you can't hit me you can't hit me you can't hit me you can't hit me

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I watched gameplay of Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls which was recently released on Apple Arcade and no, I do not like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDKeBAtVw-0

The combat just seems a little off.

SteevL on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Everything just seems like it moves unnaturally slowly.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Enemies attacked so slowly, both the attack rate and the wind ups. If they doubled the speed, they might have something.

Its moving at touch-speed, I wouldn't expect much to change.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yuck, the character animation is all wrong. It's like they managed to Uncanny Valley a 2d graphic...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Unrelated to anything, I wish they'd rerelease Harmony of Despair with split screen multiplayer on modern platforms.

Sure, the game could be grindy, but it was still fun (IMO) and I'd like to play it again.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    SteevL wrote: »
    I watched gameplay of Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls which was recently released on Apple Arcade and no, I do not like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDKeBAtVw-0

The combat just seems a little off.

OK, turn up the playback speed to x1.5 and jump to 13:10. That's about how fast the combat sections should be running.

Edit: Hell, even 1.25 makes a massive difference.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    OK, turn up the playback speed to x1.5 and jump to 13:10. That's about how fast the combat sections should be running.

Holy crap, it actually looks like a Castlevania game at that speed...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Do you guys not have phones?

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Snark aside, who is this game for?

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »

Japanese whale players and now Apple marketing brochures.

Yup, as soon as I saw the gold and crystals I knew it was going to be some MTX shit.

"summon" gear.

Fuck you.

Ironically Konami is still making pachinko machines :P

The funny thing is that when they delisted the original mobile version, they got rid of the microtransactions in preparation for the Apple Arcade release.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

The funny thing is that when they delisted the original mobile version, they got rid of the microtransactions in preparation for the Apple Arcade release.

Right, that's why I marked it out as two distinct groups. Originally to make bank off MTX, now to look good as a "big name" for Apple Arcade.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying Yoku's Island Express which I got for free last week on Epic (sorry for being a bit late with that news).

It's like what if Metroidvania (in the Ori vein)... but also pinball? Great fun. A few years old so probably pretty cheap on whatever platform you want.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I'm really enjoying Yoku's Island Express which I got for free last week on Epic (sorry for being a bit late with that news).

It's like what if Metroidvania (in the Ori vein)... but also pinball? Great fun. A few years old so probably pretty cheap on whatever platform you want.

Yeah, Yoku's Island Express is great! It's got a very lighthearted vibe overall too, which I appreciate.

Right, that's why I marked it out as two distinct groups. Originally to make bank off MTX, now to look good as a "big name" for Apple Arcade.

I missed the "now" in there the first time I read it, whoops!

Apparently the rumored Castlevania Advance Collection will also have Castlevania: Dracula X? That's the SNES game, not Rondo of Blood. Weird addition.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Let me buy the Turbo Duo game again.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Too busy making you spend $20 on playstation for just rondo + symphony I'm sure.

Dracula X is a throw-in precisely because it is nigh worthless. It's the "The Adventure" of this collection.

Honestly if they were gonna throw in a title, why not Rebirth from WiiWare? No way to really play that one anymore if you don't already have it downloaded on your Wii/Wii U :P

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Oh I just realized we might get a release date and info during today's Nintendo Direct.

KoopahTroopah on
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Honestly if they were gonna throw in a title, why not Rebirth from WiiWare? No way to really play that one anymore if you don't already have it downloaded on your Wii/Wii U :P

I don't think a Wii emulator is in the budget for anyone but Nintendo. Which means they would have to dredge up some source code.

Warlock82 wrote: »

I don't think a Wii emulator is in the budget for anyone but Nintendo. Which means they would have to dredge up some source code.

Yeah but it's not that old, I imagine they still have the source code. It would require some effort of course but it's not like a crazy powerful game so it theoretically shouldn't be *that* hard to port it over (in fact IIRC WiiWare games were limited to 50mb or something absurd like that). But then if this was any company *other* than Konami maybe I'd be more optimistic. I have to wonder how much dev talent is still left over there that hasn't already bailed because they don't want to design pachinko machines...

edited September 2021
    I think m.2 created that game actually, maybe all the Rebirth games. Would bet you would need to hire them to get it done.

rahkeesh2000 on
    I think m.2 created that game actually, maybe all the Rebirth games. Would bet you would need to hire them to get it done.

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. I'm quite sure they could do it, though I'm also quite sure that Konami is probably greedy enough to not want to waste the money these days...

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I hear this a lot, but how many pachinko machines do they actually design over there?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited September 2021
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I hear this a lot, but how many pachinko machines do they actually design over there?

I mean, when they've got one advertising "erotic violence" is there any need to ask? :P

(TBH it's probably not as many as people make it seem, but it's certainly a fun meme :3)

Warlock82 on
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Ah, yes. Pachinkovania...
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

edited September 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVARrPgGDM

edit:
    c6xsnhrdzs1m.png

Looks like it's on a lot of systems.

SteevL on
    edited September 2021
    Dracula X feels really random. Did it release on GBA and I just spaced it?

EDIT: :lol: at the "not actual gameplay footage" on the end where they displayed the characters how I imagine they would look had they actually spent any time on the ports. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on