As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    And Christian Porter has ‘resigned’.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    And Christian Porter has ‘resigned’.

Good fucking riddance.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Was finally told to GTFO I assume.

Edit. "Angus Taylor will temporarily takeover his portfolios."

Great move. Well done Angus.

I'm constantly surprised, but shouldn't be, at the absolute dearth of talent in this government's team.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I hate the fact that my region voted in Angus Taylor.

But we’re pretty much all self funded retirees and new home owners, the area wasn’t voting anything but LNP.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I mean. He's still in government. He's just gone to the backbench.

The only thing he resigned from is his role in the cabinet.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

Hence the quotes.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Ah. Glad to see the Morrison government taking accountability seriously.

Fuckers.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    In NZ news, we have had a prisoner test positive for Covid today, and their household has come back with several positives - all outside the Level 4 lockdown boundary.

Well, this is certainly great news going into our lockdown announcements tomorrow.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    And 2 of them are students.

Sigh.

Not that level 3 was going to change much as all for me.

But

Sigh.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Porter is keeping the cash too.

Literally no real consequences because Morrison only has a 1 seat majority.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    And 2 of them are students.

Sigh.

Not that level 3 was going to change much as all for me.

But

Sigh.

All the hugs, Ahava. The properly social distnaced non infectious hugs, but hugs nonetheless.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mondays are the worst.

She gets so upset because we have to go back to work and can't play with her all day.

• Options
    Encouraging numbers in NSW, less than 1k for the first time in ages

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Encouraging numbers in NSW, less than 1k for the first time in ages
    I set up my own analytics a while back, pulling data from the NSW API. The R-Score dipped below 1 last week, and has been heading pretty steadily downwards for about 4 weeks now.

Interestingly, the API data hasn't been updated since Thursday (it's usually posted daily some time after lunch) so not sure what's going on there.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    In NZ politics / Covid news, I note that our Leader of the Opposition, who (last week? What happened to time) called out a public academic for her supposed hypocrisy in allowing someone she was with to go swimming, has now been filmed having ice cream... in Queenstown.

I'm sure that her loud bluster on how "She should be held to a higher level of account.” will be repeated, since she also made such a loud point about, as essential work, being able to leave Auckland for Wellington - with, apparently, a holiday in Queenstown later on.

Source

Apologies, it's not a particularly significant story, but the hypocrisy does stick in the craw a bit.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    What a joke. Isn't there some saying about glass houses?

You just know that if the place had kicked her out our insisted that she wear a mask, she would have kicked up a fit. But no, she's so perfect.

Honestly, the whole thing couldn't be better written in a script. What a treat for Labour party the whole mess that National seems to be.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Honestly, the whole thing couldn't be better written in a script. What a treat for Labour party the whole mess that National seems to be.

The best part about all of this stuff for Labour is they don't really need to get down into the muck to spar with National. It's just a continuing series of own-goals.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Our Prime Minister has been visiting family in Sydney nearly every weekend, and claims his travel I essential so it's fine.

The Tories don't believe that rules apply to THEM.

On another note..... what the hell is going on with the CFMEU? Near as I can tell, tradies were protesting the union because of vaccine mandates, alt right shitheads saw an opportunity and joined the protest, it got violent, and now all construction in Victoria is banned for 2 weeks.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Qanon right wing extremists have discovered a new angle: going to lowes and buying a cheap hi-vis jacket.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    On another note..... what the hell is going on with the CFMEU? Near as I can tell, tradies were protesting the union because of vaccine mandates, alt right shitheads saw an opportunity and joined the protest, it got violent, and now all construction in Victoria is banned for 2 weeks.

Pretty much this sums it up. No doubt there are tradies who are anti-vax who were there anyway (I've met some of them myself) but it got highjacked by a bunch of the idiots who were protesting on the weekend. The guy who has been behind a lot of the lockdown/protest/antivax stuff, Harrison Macclean is a straight up Neo-Nazi.
    In November, a user named Dominic D wrote something akin to a mission statement for the anti-lockdown protest group he runs on the messaging app Telegram.

Dominic had been accused by another member of being associated with a far-right group, which he flatly denied. His group, Dominic wrote, was “a place for moderates, libertarians, conservatives, and all other advocates of Freedom to have discussions about protesting”.

“I have one face. This is it. I am not Far-Right. I am a Libertarian Populist, and I support Freedom of Speech,” Dominic told the dissenting member.
    But a Guardian investigation has revealed Dominic’s engagement with a number of far-right groups online, including one used by the far-right Proud Boys group to vet new members and another made up of white supremacists including neo-Nazi Tom Sewell, who last month was charged after an alleged assault of a Channel Nine security guard.

Dominic D’s real name is Harrison McLean, a 24-year-old IT programmer, “blockchain architect” and former competitive cheerleader from Wantirna South in Melbourne’s outer suburbs.

Using his pseudonym, he has outlined plans to introduce his “freedom” group to more radical political views, while expressing deeply antisemitic opinions.

“[The aim] is to empower people so that if they’re not necessarily politically active before, then a political protest might be some way for them to sort of begin their process of engaging in this space, but I’m absolutely not trying to radicalise anybody,” he said.
    McLean began attending anti-lockdown protests in September and has since become a key organiser, helping to drive a rebrand after the lockdown lifted by shifting the movement’s focus to the broader themes of “freedom” that have come to typify the protests.

His group is now one of the largest and most organised in the movement, with more than 2,000 followers on Telegram, and attracts hundreds of people to the Melbourne protests.
    In collaboration with anti-fascist research group the White Rose Society, the Guardian has tracked McLean’s activity through the rabbit warren of largely unregulated Telegram groups and found that he describes a vastly different version of his intentions.

In groups he has described as devoted to “serious Anti-Zionist chat” and about “digging into the relationship between Jews, and the NWO” [new world order], McLean has explained the need to be cautious about exposing his allies in the anti-lockdown movement to antisemitic content “yet”.

McLean has offered counsel on effective ways to introduce people to “entry level research” on antisemitic conspiracy theories, given advice on how to create effective antisemitic memes and explained how he helped introduce followers in his anti-lockdown movement to more radical views.

In a series of messages sent in November, McLean told the “serious Anti-Zionist chat” that while he shared “many of the concerns about the ... present role of the Jews”, members of his group were “not ready for the JQ yet”, using a common shorthand among white supremacists for the “Jewish Question”.

“We have a LOT of very NORMIE people coming in from banners and [Facebook] groups that are not ready for the JQ yet, and may attack us as highly anti-Semitic and stop promoting us all together to their friends and family,” he wrote.
    “We start at ‘Dan Bad’ and go right through to “No Coercive Vaccines” and get into the Pedo suppression orders and NWO agenda and One world government as a concept to be opposed,” he wrote, echoing a laundry list of baseless and antisemitic conspiracy theories that have found a fresh audience during the pandemic.

“I wish it were different [but] we need to take it one step at a time.”

They're using dissatisfaction with lockdowns to trying a recruit more fascists.

I've been saying for a long time that I'm surprised the construction industry has been able to keep running for so long, because compliance is uncommon to vanishingly rare. Vaccinations for the most part are happening but distancing and masks are not so I'm fine with shutting it down since I think it'll help drop numbers.

The issue is more that it's drawing ire towards the state government and not that Morrison and his ministry have royally fucked up getting vaccines. We could have had potentially the entire country vaccinated a year ago.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Sure, lets add earthquakes to the list of currently ongoing apocalypses, why not?

• Options
    Everybody all good here?

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Sure, lets add earthquakes to the list of currently ongoing apocalypses, why not?

It's been a while since the last one. Doesn't appear as if anyone was hurt, at least not seriously.

• Options
    So, it looks like nearly all politicians have condemned the Melbourne "protests". Really wish they'd use another term in reporting.

I say nearly all, because apparently that brain dead muppet Pauline Hanson has decided to back them.

Which, in a way, is a good thing. Because now there's no excuse. Anyone who argues in any way in support of those protests, with any argument, for any reason, is wrong.

Purely by the fact that if Hanson is for it, it's wrong, stupid, cruel, and probably racist somehow.

I'm a full supporter of unions. But fuck these people. And using the Shrine as a backdrop for your whiney bullshit? Eat shit.

• Options
    Looks like barely anyone turned up for day 4 of the ‘protests’?

Wonder if that’s got anything to do with it now being common knowledge it was a high quantity if right-wing agitators.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    It's their RDO.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    Turns out someone at the memorial yesterday is in hospital today with Covid.

That’s a lot of potential new cases.

• Options
    I have achieved Domino's pizza.

It was worth it.

• Options
    I have achieved Domino's pizza.

It was worth it.

I feel so sad for you!

I know there are regional differences between different countries to quality, so it's possible that NZ Dominos is better than AuVic Dominos, but here, it's absolutely the worst pizza, and I'll nearly always go for a local pizza shop instead of a chain. And so I'm reflexively sad as a response.

What kind of pizza did you get?

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Domino's pizza is never worth it.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's... fine, delicious even. I never had the earlier really bad Dominos though.

• Options
    the domino's here is so much better than in the states.

like sure i'm sure i could find something better. but not within delivery distance on a night of 'fuck i just don't want to cook'

we got a new roast veggie pizza that had roasted pumpkin, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms on a thin crust for Ecco.
    Kid and I shared a plain cheese pizza because that's really all you need in life.
    Garlic bread and chunky cut chips.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Oh! I just remembered why I never buy Dominos these days. Because they asked for a tip when I ordered online. I detest tipping, and especially tipping before you even receive the meal? I'm also suspicious of app based tipping thanks to Uber and the like using it to cut pay rates.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    we've got a really good local thai place

but the entire neighborhood has been ordering from them, they've been like an hour behind on orders the last 2 nights, so I figure we'll let the feeding frenzy die down a bit

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Oh! I just remembered why I never buy Dominos these days. Because they asked for a tip when I ordered online. I detest tipping, and especially tipping before you even receive the meal? I'm also suspicious of app based tipping thanks to Uber and the like using it to cut pay rates.

I really hope that tipping doesn't become a thing here.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Domino's is the only takeaway food I can recall actually throwing out because it was so disgusting. I took 2 bites of a single slice, threw the rest of the pizza in the bin and made some noodles instead.

To be fair it was one of their super-budget options (peri-peri chicken I think?), and this was a few years ago, preceding the "hey we know our pizza is absolute garbage, we're going to try and make less bad pizza now" ad campaign. But wow, it left an impression. I can only assume they've gotten better since.

@lonelyahava - not a fan of Hell's? At least down here they're the better of the widely available chain pizza options.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I prefer Domino's to Hell's Pizza on average.

Pakuranga Pizza Club is my favourite fast food Pizza place though.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I remember Hell pre-franchising, when they were just a boutique pizza place with a couple locations, one of which was in the squash courts across the road from Vic Uni. So many late nights in the Comp Sci labs fuelled by a trip across the road to select a bit of actually tasty and relatively non-greasy fast food from a menu handwritten up in multi-coloured chalk. Their Hawaiian pizza used double ham sheets, not little cm square chunks, but thick slices the size of credit cards and with big pineapple segments the size of your thumb.

They're still a step above most chain places now, but they're not a shade on how good they used to be in the early days when they were starting out. And much less healthy, too.

But I miss the little pizza place that made tasty pizzas and served them out of a tiny co-location only open a few hours in the evening 4 nights a week.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    eh

I'm a simple pizza girl. i like cheese, i like cheese and mushroom.

The last time we ordered from Hell we got chicken wings, a pasta dish, and a salad. no pizza. Their sauce burns my mouth (something with tomatoes that happens occasionally), and their pizzas tend to have just way too much stuff on them that t's just a hassle. Chicken wings are good.

Like, if i had my way I'd order from Sal's. but the one nearest me is *justttt* out of delivery range, unless i go through UberEats. and Pakuranga Pizza Palace's base is just way too thick and sweet to me.

Dominos is good enough, the tomato sauce doesn't burn my tastebuds, and the basics are actually not that pricy.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Where i live in wellington, the local hells is pretty quality. Though they're literally 4 minutes away, so maybe that helps?

Last time i ordered from em i got a Double Mayhem, with smoked cheddar, chorizo and 5-pepper pepperoni added and it was fucking fantastic.

The dominos has only ever been bad experiences, sadly.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891