As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I see Will Smith did a travel show for Nat Geo on disney + and I'm hella down. Will is a fun personality and having cool adventures in places I'll never visit should be a good time!

You're not wrong but at the same time it's like jesus, Will. You're worth hundreds of millions. Why did you make Nat Geo pay for your vacation?

I simply refuse to watch those sort of shows.

Also those famous person family tree shows - if you’re that interested, pay for your own research. I don’t give a flying fuck what your great grandad died of, or whether he kept slaves.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    I'm curious to see if they've understood that Dream is one of the least interesting characters in those books.

He’s often the person stories happen around, or is the catalyst for.

I’m looking forward to the Shakespeare episodes, if they do them, and I’m interested in how The Corinthian is portrayed.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They're rebooting Babylon 5! On the CW!... Bah.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I see Will Smith did a travel show for Nat Geo on disney + and I'm hella down. Will is a fun personality and having cool adventures in places I'll never visit should be a good time!

You're not wrong but at the same time it's like jesus, Will. You're worth hundreds of millions. Why did you make Nat Geo pay for your vacation?

Eh if they are offering I'd rather have an athletic fun personality than some boring dude. Like Will Smith for better or ill is a charasmatic guy, the show should be a good time. Everyone wins!

Now where's my Willem Dafoe Yukon show?!

You mean Togo? It was fantastic.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    My wife and I just finished the latest season (3, I believe) of Sex Education, a UK based dramedy on Netflix starring Gillian Anderson (Scully from The X-Files) as a professional sex therapist and the kid from Ender's Game as her son playing a teenaged (but wholly unlicensed) sex therapist to his fellow high school students.

It's actually quite funny and charming if a bit Degrassi Jr. High at times (boy, am I dating myself with that reference) but with raunchier jokes and sexual situations and exploring LBGQT+ issues.

Raiju on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Raiju wrote: »
    My wife and I just finished the latest season (3, I believe) of Sex Education, a UK based dramedy on Netflix starring Gillian Anderson (Scully from The X-Files) as a professional sex therapist and the kid from Ender's Game as her son playing a teenaged (but wholly unlicensed) sex therapist to his fellow high school students.

It's actually quite funny and charming if a bit Degrassi Jr. High at times (boy, am I dating myself with that reference) but with raunchier jokes and sexual situations and exploring LBGQT+ issues.
    We finished Season 3 of Sex Ed as well (My partner and I were big fans of seasons 1 and 2). Season 2 was much harder to watch, if only because of the self-destructive behavior of a lot of the students, especially Otis. This season was so much better, in that regard. Season 3 was far more about navigating relationships and breakups (and, of course, sex and sexuality) with empathy, while always reminding you that these characters are teenagers, and thus are prone to making impulsive and irrational decisions at times. The show shines when Otis or Maeve deals with a person who needs help with empathy and understanding, which gives a lot of good fuzzy feelings. Also, the show is quite hilarious throughout, with many great laugh-out-loud moments.

It packs a LOT of plotlines in, and it weaves them together deftly, even though the pattern of relationships resembles a Pepe Silvia board of crazy (I keep forgetting that Ola and Adam are friends, for example). Even the characters that could fill a villainous stereotype are given humanizing qualities, and you get a sense that everyone is just trying to muddle along as best they can (if you've seen the movie "Booksmart", it has a similar empathic and generous lens in the way it views all of its characters). I really like how they treated Mr. Groff this season and deconstructed his struggle with toxic masculinity.

I also like that the pushback by the students ended up with very real and realistic consequences for them at the end of the season. And I wasn't really prepared for what happened during their France trip. Holy hell.

The high water mark of the series for me is still the way the girls banded around Aimee when she was assaulted in Season 2.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Flanagan really knows how to build an atmosphere of dread and he really doesn't know what to do with it once he's finished building it. Midnight Mass was really good for about 5 episodes and the final 2 was a lot of talking. Characters stare into the camera and just read their mysterious backstory to the audience. It's good, the cast is amazing, it just ends with a mix of action and explanation that is stilted. Like he dropped the show glossary into the show itself, much like Bly.

I heard he really likes King stories and uhh it shows.

The influence is visible throughout, but his weak endings are uniquely Flanagan. King usually just has his heroes start shooting lasers out of crackerjack rings or Jose Canseco bats because he doesn't give a shit about how things end. Flanagan, on the other hand, wants to simultaneously leave things ambiguous, but explain every detail. Hill House is still his strongest effort because the explanation of the Broken Neck Lady was relevant and haunting. Bly's exposition episode has nothing to do with the characters in the story and, while interesting, mostly doesn't matter. Mass is just weird because not once did a character point at the
    werepelican and say "that's a goddamn vampire!" Everything is laid out on the table, everybody knows what they are looking at, but no stakes, no garlic, no beheading Beverly Keane, and omg if anybody ever needed to lose their head, it was her.

Yeah. I guess it's like
    zombie movies where there's apparently no "zombie" concept in the in-world mass media. It seems weirder with vampires but I suppose that's just because I'm used to it with zombies where vampire movies usually somebody says, "That's a goddamned vampire! Stab it!"

In other King-related things, I'm finally getting around to watching the Lisey's Story adaptation on Apple TV. I loved the book and was curious about King adapting it for TV himself. It's pretty good. I don't know how much is King and how much is the director but it has a very different feel from the novel despite being relatively faithful to the actual events.
    (Pretty basic Lisey's Story spoilers)
    I read an article about the show where the director apparently asked King, "So, Booya Moon is metaphorical, right? It's just Landon processing his trauma?" and King was like, "No. It's a real place. He really goes there."

Which I feel like explains a lot of how the show treats that aspect of the story. In the book, trips to Booya Moon were weird and disconcerting but very concrete. The show makes them very dream-like and seems to go to lengths to imply they may not be happening at all, really, except that the plot doesn't really work unless it's a real place.

Also my wife and I started on Chapelwaite but so far (I think just like 2 episodes in or so) it's just grim and dark with no particular hook. Does it improve?

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Foundation is pretty interesting so far! The Genetic Dynasty explanation for Cleon is brilliant TV modernization, and the side scenes with the 3 emperors, led by Lee Pace, are a lot of fun. Gaal and Hardin haven't had enough to do yet, but I'm certainly intrigued. If this + Invasion turn out to be solid, I'll be happily adjusting my internal rating for Apple TV+ as a streaming service, especially at 5 bucks a month.

Squid Game was emjoyable, but for me, the first 2 episodes were a lot *more* interesting than the execution (ba-dump-ching) of the rest of the season. I'm uncertain if I prefer this or Alice In Borderland at the moment. I think the actors and the bright, colorful insanity in Squid Game put it on top.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

Eh if they are offering I'd rather have an athletic fun personality than some boring dude. Like Will Smith for better or ill is a charasmatic guy, the show should be a good time. Everyone wins!

Now where's my Willem Dafoe Yukon show?!

You mean Togo? It was fantastic.

yeah its a great movie, but now I want Willem to do an actual show where he goes on a cross country sled dog tour!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    The Fatal Fury movie is up on Prime (dubbed sadly) but it's surprisingly competent and animated well enough (gets very loose with fights but does so in order to show movement and not just cut away/action lines). Not as good as the 90's Street Fighter II animoo movie since it doesn't have a long fight like how good the Chun Li vs Vega fight was but Mai is always best girl contender. Man do I miss 90's triangle chin animoo style.

And Netflix just bought Night School studio, so maybe all the game developers who want to just make videogames boring movies on rail simulators *cough PS 1st party games* can just work for them to get their movies and shows made a mega drive dab.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The Fatal Fury movie is up on Prime (dubbed sadly)

How dare you.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    The Fatal Fury movie is up on Prime (dubbed sadly) but it's surprisingly competent and animated well enough (gets very loose with fights but does so in order to show movement and not just cut away/action lines). Not as good as the 90's Street Fighter II animoo movie since it doesn't have a long fight like how good the Chun Li vs Vega fight was but Mai is always best girl contender. Man do I miss 90's triangle chin animoo style.

And Netflix just bought Night School studio, so maybe all the game developers who want to just make videogames boring movies on rail simulators *cough PS 1st party games* can just work for them to get their movies and shows made a mega drive dab.

I can always count on you for the spicy/alt opinions.

Thanks for always being you Tex.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

Buy up as many game studios as you want, as long as it distracts you guys from destroying One Piece UwU.

tAXjWVS.png

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Evil continues to be wild. The heroes must help the IRS determine if the New Ministry of Satan deserves tax exempt status!

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Evil continues to be wild. The heroes must help the IRS determine if the New Ministry of Satan deserves tax exempt status!

I started watching this (and Prodigal Son, cause Michael Sheen) for about half a season, and then jumped off figuring I'd wait until it wrapped up, and I knew if it was worthwhile. As both looked like they had high suckage potential, either off rails, or premature cancellation.

But the comments here are making me reconsider that policy.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So it's not just me and a friend who's noticed game developers trying to make games into movies. Netflix would fit right in, I guess!

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

Buy up as many game studios as you want, as long as it distracts you guys from destroying One Piece UwU.

tAXjWVS.png

Content teams are going to do what the content teams are going to do.

I don't know them and I don't like them. I also don't trust them.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    El Jeffe mentioned What We Do In The Shadows and it reminded me I hadn't seen the 2nd or what's released of the 3rd season, so I fixed that over the past week. Such a great show.

Nandor in the Season 2 Finale:
    This is your hot take? That you have a problem with the choreography?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I started watching this (and Prodigal Son, cause Michael Sheen) for about half a season, and then jumped off figuring I'd wait until it wrapped up, and I knew if it was worthwhile. As both looked like they had high suckage potential, either off rails, or premature cancellation.

Evil is the best week to week show on television (streaming) today. It is weird in a way that is so refreshing in that it's not afraid to show you something absolutely baffling and not hold your hand at all through the journey. You're really left wondering what's real and what's not.

The characters are also a complete delight and I have a giant crush on the lead, Katja Herbers. Also, the kid actors on the show are legitimately great and have an awesome dynamic of a family.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Evil is the best week to week show on television (streaming) today. It is weird in a way that is so refreshing in that it's not afraid to show you something absolutely baffling and not hold your hand at all through the journey. You're really left wondering what's real and what's not.

The characters are also a complete delight and I have a giant crush on the lead, Katja Herbers. Also, the kid actors on the show are legitimately great and have an awesome dynamic of a family.

There's something about Herbers that is offputting to me. Not in a bad way, just in that she looks familiar, but isn't. Checking her filmography, I've never seen anything she's been in.

I see Season 2 wraps up next week, so once I've finished with the shows I'm currently catching up on, I might restart that one. Or maybe I'll wait until just before S3 starts? It's been renewed, so that's a good thing.
    https://deadline.com/2021/07/evil-renewed-season-3-paramount-plus-1234788119/

If you can let me know if S2 ends on a massive cliffhanger, or resolves most of what it needs to, that'll help as to whether I start in the next couple weeks, or wait until it returns and I can binge and roll straight into S3, it'd be much appreciated.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

The Daughters are the best character in the show.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Finished off Midnight Mass and jesus christ the entire last 2 episodes are like 85% monologs, all shot the same way, all with the same vocal cadence and construction despite being different characters speaking about different topics and I don't think the director ever met a face he didn't want to shoot centered on screen in a slow zoom. It works okay when it's one or two monologs an episode but when entire episodes are just people taking turns monologing at one another it stops being dramatic and becomes comedic.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Squid Game is totally not going to have a good explanation for how this is happening, is it?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Squid Game is totally not going to have a good explanation for how this is happening, is it?

I actually felt like they did a pretty good job teasing out how these things are happening and who is behind it through the whole season. Don’t want to say much more than that though if you haven’t finished it yet. If you’re still fairly early on though, definitely keep going, you are likely going to have many of your questions answered.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »

I actually felt like they did a pretty good job teasing out how these things are happening and who is behind it through the whole season. Don’t want to say much more than that though if you haven’t finished it yet. If you’re still fairly early on though, definitely keep going, you are likely going to have many of your questions answered.

Who I'm sure they can do something with. How is.... eh. Maybe!

When you have something like, say, Alice in Borderland,
    the "how" is essentially "magic," and that's fine. If this is supposed to be a "this is a real thing that could happen" sort of situation, I'mma need a good explanation 'cause it's sketchy so far :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

On a scale from Cube to Alice in Borderland, Squid Game is off the scale to the right and, imo, provides a satisfying ending and explanation.

• Options
    Squid Game spoilers RE: realism:
    Squid Game is fairly well-grounded in realism. There isn't anything supernatural or technology beyond the reach of what we have right now.

Covering up a bunch of civilian deaths is problematic, but more people disappear or are killed in camps in real life than the folks in Squid Game, so...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    hmmmm, all right, I'll buy the ending to that, yeah. Just finished it.

Somehow
    a consortium of bored, rich-beyond-belief people makes it much more believable than just a single uber-rich person, which is what I originally was guessing. I'm not sure why "one rich dude" is unbelievable, but "conspiracy of the richest dudes" makes it OK, but there ya go :D

That said, the ending itself otherwise wasn't my personal favorite. It is a fine ending objectively, but I'd have rather
    seen his daughter get a slightly nicer ending. She gets kinda screwed over bookending the series at both the beginning and the end.

Steam profile
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Started watching Mayans season 3. I’d seen the first two seasons and liked them, they bring a different more thoughtful spin to the SOA formula while exploring what’s been quite frankly a more interesting cultural milieu than dirtbag trailer trash turned gun kingpins.

Real curious to see how the departure of Kurt Sutter as showrunner affects the show as a whole, although Mayans seemed to have already toned down some of the more self-indulgent edgelord bullshit that showed up in later seasons of Sons of Anarchy.

The border has been shut down, the town is destitute, and the club is beset on all sides from disgruntled charters who were counting on revenue that has dried up. And the title credits have changed, going with an instrumental song over footage of US-Mexico political figures and events, rather than the excellent David Hidalgo song “Nunca” that opened the first two seasons.

Should be interesting.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh hey Enterprise, Voyager and TOS are leaving Netflix today, at least in the U.K. I just got done with Voyager and had already decided that Enterprise sucked and I wasn’t going to continue with it so that was good timing.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Sounds like people who like Squid Game should check out Kaiji.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3JwJQyKbx4

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    El Jeffe mentioned What We Do In The Shadows and it reminded me I hadn't seen the 2nd or what's released of the 3rd season, so I fixed that over the past week. Such a great show.

What We Do in the Shadows is the funniest show on television.

I still occasionally chuckle at Nandor being really, really into the Olympic Dream Team.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Nandor wrote:
    Guillermo, you need to drink more water.

Funniest line in the show

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Midnight Mass is a pretty compelling display of everything that Flanagan does very well and very poorly.

Lots of huge emotional story beats, lots of spiritual rumination, lots of awkward monologues, and everything happens much too slowly. It’s a seven-episode series that could probably be just as functional at three or four episodes.

It’s King influences are very difficult to miss, for both good and ill, and it’s heady messages on death and sacrifice are nearly undone by the campiness of the central conceit; Flanagan seems to be aware of this, and keeps as much about it as possible off-screen.

• Options

Somehow
    a consortium of bored, rich-beyond-belief people makes it much more believable than just a single uber-rich person, which is what I originally was guessing. I'm not sure why "one rich dude" is unbelievable, but "conspiracy of the richest dudes" makes it OK, but there ya go :D

That said, the ending itself otherwise wasn't my personal favorite. It is a fine ending objectively, but I'd have rather
    seen his daughter get a slightly nicer ending. She gets kinda screwed over bookending the series at both the beginning and the end.
    I mean,
    Gi-hun clearly loves his daughter, but he also is a completely shitty parent. Money doesn't change that.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Somehow

I mean,
    Gi-hun clearly loves his daughter, but he also is a completely shitty parent. Money doesn't change that.

I know :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Sounds like people who like Squid Game should check out Kaiji.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3JwJQyKbx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeLxUVACQF0

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I still occasionally chuckle at Nandor being really, really into the Olympic Dream Team.

Jackie Daytona Human Bartender

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

One regular human alcoholic beer please.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

I would legit watch a Jackie Daytona spin off after WWDITS ends its run. It could be True Blood meets Cocktail and all the sustenance I need to survive this wearying world.

This discussion has been closed.