As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[New World] Where we ask the REAL questions! Like, "What is Launch?"

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Some friends and I are apparently going purple on Valhalla, which is US east im told.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I should be named Chemo (I managed to snag the name using the EU servers). Feel free to send me a friend invite once the servers go live.

• NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Purple, you say?
    LD50 wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Anyone picking a server or anything?

My friends and I are going to pick something us east and non streamer, but we haven't settled on anything specifically.

That didn't quite work out, did it. :p

Valgrind looks to be one of the biggest streamer servers.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    With all the streamer integrations I'm not sure streamers are bad? They were clearly planned as an integration point.

What is this I don't even.
    With all the streamer integrations I'm not sure streamers are bad? They were clearly planned as an integration point.

Biggest concern would be higher chance of faction imbalance. But other than early queue times, probably not the end of the world.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    How are the servers doing? Curious if beta interest has translated to live release.

EDIT: Nevermind; there are half a million people on STEAM right now. Not touching this for a few days I'm thinking.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Anecdotally, nearly every streamer I watched during the Closed Beta (the big one from 2 months ago), nearly everyone was picking Purple. Team Purple seemed to be the overwhelmingly popular choice. Again, I'm not claiming this is true for the whole community, just for the streamers I watched. Which included Asmongold.

Most of the streamers I watched are actually Star Citizen streamers, who were looking for a break from SC. And nearly unanimously everyone was purple. They weren't even playing on the same servers together.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    How are the servers doing? Curious if beta interest has translated to live release.

EDIT: Nevermind; there are half a million people on STEAM right now. Not touching this for a few days I'm thinking.

the people in my group who are currently playing report 0 server problems and only mild lag during the tutorial

might change as the work day ends but... so far I'd say that's pretty good

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    ain't no way i'm picking the religious faction, and the green faction are might make right assholes, so purple nerds win by default

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Fonjo wrote: »
    Purple, you say?

My friends and I are going to pick something us east and non streamer, but we haven't settled on anything specifically.

It wasn't a super streamer server when I checked before. Vahalla is the biiiiiig us east streamer server.

P10 wrote: »
    ain't no way i'm picking the religious faction, and the green faction are might make right assholes, so purple nerds win by default

Purple also get plague doctor outfits.

Jasconius wrote: »

the people in my group who are currently playing report 0 server problems and only mild lag during the tutorial

might change as the work day ends but... so far I'd say that's pretty good

Wow; that is impressive then (I mean once you get in). I enjoyed the beta last year and what little I played this year; definitely wasn't doing anything differently and the lack of content is worrisome, but it's pretty cheap so might check this out in a month if actual player feedback is good (once the "first day" whining getting thinned out).

Purple, you say?

It wasn't a super streamer server when I checked before. Vahalla is the biiiiiig us east streamer server.

Yeah, it looks like stonemountain moved to Valgrind. So I assume purple will always be winning and the other factions will suffer.

i just did the tutorial, i had no queue time to log in... however the tutorial was extremely laggy to the point of broken... but i was able to progress through it. the game seems less laggy once you actually get into the non-tutorial part... which is weird....

Yeah, I think this is part of the problem. They tried to associate a bit of lore and flavor to the factions, and not all of this lore and flavor is created equal.

I agree about not wanting to be associated with a faction of Religious Zealots/Fanatics. The devs created unnecessary fluff that actually detracts from the appeal of the teams.

Okay, no way im playing on Valhalla with the massive queue and streamer folks. Need to talk to my friends to find a replacement, lol.

n1woEHJ.png
    edited September 2021
    I'm leaning Yaxche with some friends, still not 100% decided.

(I hate trying to pick a server at game launch. Now also looking at Kay Pacha)

Noxy on

Yeah. No on the religious zealotry. No on the "we fight because we're strongest and might makes right Chads." That leaves the folks with plague masks, which I'm good with.

They'd better have some sort of plan for faction imbalance or this'll be what kills the whole thing.

I put 4 players on Valgrind purple, for what it's worth.

edited September 2021
    I actually tweeted at New World a few weeks ago with some suggestions to address this. My tweets were early enough that theoretically they would have had time to implement them if they thought they were valid/good ideas. And, surprisingly to me, I actually got a response from New World, thanking me for my suggestions. So I know they got them, and passed them along to the devs. (Side note: this is an easy win for game companies, and I wish Blizzard empowered their community management team to have a bit more interaction. A simple acknowledgement and thanks for the suggestion goes a long way towards customer good will.)

Anyway.

I tweeted 3 suggestions to them to help with faction balance issues, because even in beta, the faction imbalance was real, and easily perceptible.

1) Add an in-game UI element with a "Recommended faction" which would guide players towards picking the current underdog faction. Not a requirement, but a friendly guiding in that direction.
    2) Add underdog bonuses to factions to encourage people to sign up for the underdog when they are picking a faction or considering a faction swap.
    3) Add a sweet spot, which I called "equilibrium bonus." The equilibrium bonus would kick in when all 3 factions are within +/- a fair percentage of each other, population wise. Basically, if the players can manage to keep a faction balance, everybody wins. Make the equilibrium bonus good enough and noticeable enough that if it goes away, people will want to take action to get it back.

Lucascraft on

Yeah, and I have... 6 I think.

Yeah, and I have... 6 I think.

Is your crew on a Disc or anything? I might throw one together even if it's just temporary for us all to be able to chat if we want.

As for faction balance, I wonder if they also intend to collapse servers in clusters early to try to rebalance.

Some of these servers are freaking slammed. I ran into an interesting problem. I made a character on Kay Pacha to see if I was happy with the appearance... it loaded me into Xibalba. That's not even in the same server group.

Yeah. I had to sign out to do some troubleshooting and I've been in queue for awhile waiting to get back in. What's crazy is that Valgrind isn't very high up on the list of servers population wise, it's just that all the servers are full. New world is the most played game on steam right now.

Some of these servers are freaking slammed. I ran into an interesting problem. I made a character on Kay Pacha to see if I was happy with the appearance... it loaded me into Xibalba. That's not even in the same server group.

while the servers themselves seem fine, the tutorial is insanely broken right now, I'm wondering if they're load balancing people into different servers just for the tutorial

edited September 2021

while the servers themselves seem fine, the tutorial is insanely broken right now, I'm wondering if they're load balancing people into different servers just for the tutorial

That makes sense. I might check again.

Does anyone know if this game has a barber?

Also, is the tutorial just the first bit before you get to the first quest giver? Or is that part of the tutorial?

Are names universal? So if I pick a name on one server, it can't be used anywhere else?

Noxy on
    How do the servers work? I just picked one on West Coast but the naming convention is weird.

How do the servers work? I just picked one on West Coast but the naming convention is weird.

Names are global. Servers are servers but also clustered. As best we can tell, the clusters tell you how they'll collapse when they need to slam a couple together for pop reasons.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Okay, no way im playing on Valhalla with the massive queue and streamer folks. Need to talk to my friends to find a replacement, lol.

Saw you at the top @CorriganX and almost told you no don't do it, but I see you realize that now.

I'm going Vingolf for now, unless we are doing a PA guild and have a chosen a server already?

Steam: offday
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Well EU servers are down. Apparently to many people want to play in the EU.

steam_sig.png
    A few purple folks are on Valgrind but it's not an official group. Think we've got ten folks in two chunks all told currently.

edited September 2021

Also, is the tutorial just the first bit before you get to the first quest giver? Or is that part of the tutorial?

the part where it tells you what your buttons are and you fight a miniboss is a tutorial that seems to be on some other server node than the rest of the game. once kill that miniboss and get the cutscene you are then merged into everyone else

Jasconius on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So are guilds cross server and based off purple, green, etc.?

Yes aligned with color, no cross server. Guilds are about pvp territory control, owning cities, taxes, etc. which is server specific.

edited September 2021
    I'm on Yaxche with 5-6 friends, going Purple.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Anyone have room for someone in their guild? I'm ready to pick a server/faction and looking for a fun group to play with. Basically, I've never had a chance to get in on a new MMO at launch and guild up with some reasonable people.

(I'm US East Coast for what it's worth).

Yall on
    in 2 weeks there'll be free transfers, so once it dies down we can all decide together on a real server to finalize.

FAY4CBwUUAA9QRU?format=jpg&name=medium

For now just find a server and start playing and having fun.

n1woEHJ.png
    Awesome news.

Anyone know of a way besides in game to see current servers and queue times? Now considering going to a low queue server, but also don't want to leave current queue and have to start all over again if they're all bad.

Also joining on Yaxche. Have a couple friends there and bringing a few more with me.

Will move in two weeks if it feels right to do so. Also going Purple.