As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[New World] Where we ask the REAL questions! Like, "What is Launch?"

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Fonjo wrote: »
    Also joining on Yaxche. Have a couple friends there and bringing a few more with me.

Will move in two weeks if it feels right to do so. Also going Purple.

I'm queued up there as well. My character is "Patrick O'Galvin".

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This is a game I plan to play super casually. All signs point to there not being a huge amount of content at level cap, which tells me I'm not really in a rush to get to level cap.

That being said, I'm getting antsy being stuck at work. I'm feeling like I'm falling behind, because I won't be able to play until like 5pm my time. Of course, I don't actually know what server I'm playing on so it probably doesn't even matter.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The "good" news is that almost no matter what server you tried to play on, you were looking at 4+ hour queues to get on right now I think.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The "good" news is that almost no matter what server you tried to play on, you were looking at 4+ hour queues to get on right now I think.

Yaxche was about 30 minutes, was 300 people or so.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Cantahar is only about a 300 person queue reported to be going about 250 persons per hour

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    At the risk of ignorantly and completely glossing over the broad technical hurdles required to do so, you'd think the launch of what they intend to be a AAA MMO from Amazon might, you know, leverage the vast ecology of AWS to bolster server instances and performance in the short term.

• Options
    Took me about 45 minutes for Yaxche. Logged off after doing the tutorial, now it looks like I'm about 40 in the queue.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    At the risk of ignorantly and completely glossing over the broad technical hurdles required to do so, you'd think the launch of what they intend to be a AAA MMO from Amazon might, you know, leverage the vast ecology of AWS to bolster server instances and performance in the short term.

Sometimes I swear like limited availability of something creating the idea its actually in demand, companies do these shitty server things to make it appear its more popular than it is

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

There are a TON of empty queue servers. People jumping in on the 10K and above queues have only themselves to blame.

. . . and given that they've already said free server transfers are in, there is no reason to stay in a queue for any of these servers streamers flocked to.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »

There are a TON of empty queue servers. People jumping in on the 10K and above queues have only themselves to blame.

. . . and given that they've already said free server transfers are in, there is no reason to stay in a queue for any of these servers streamers flocked to.

every single server had a queue in US East earlier. At least 100-300 people.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm on Minda with my brother and some friends, ultimately I might just make a second character if PAers congregate in a different server. I have altitis I might as well lean into it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Just jumped back into Vingolf at 58th so lower numbers, but it seems people are logging off less so it's still not moving as fast as I'd hoped. Come on people go to bed.

edit: nvm I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Looking at some of the new servers and possibly starting over. Didn't get far anyway.

Started again on Savoya. Placed 3rd in queue. Hopefully it doesn't fill up like the others.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Hmmm, looks like my system will run this.

I might grab it on Friday, give it a try.

And anyone with Prime, Amazon have some free stuff on their Prime Gaming page - pirate costume, and emote, and some game currency.

You have to link your Amazon account to your Steam account.

• Options
    I hopped on a new server with an alt. The other one had a queue stuck in the 70's that just wasn't moving.

I like the game quite a bit so far. The UI is better than just about any MMO I've played.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    c2w571ovhmam.png
    1 hour later
    k9a51lc3lfi8.png

This game is very fun

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Because a friend of ours is in a Marauder company, I ended up going Marauder with my current character. But my look is telling me I should be a member of the Covenant.

vYtjG60.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I’d the pvp mandatory in this ?

Or can you just PvE if you prefer ?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I’d the pvp mandatory in this ?

Or can you just PvE if you prefer ?

Its opt in pvp I believe, where you make that choice in city hubs?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Hmmm, looks like my system will run this.

I might grab it on Friday, give it a try.

And anyone with Prime, Amazon have some free stuff on their Prime Gaming page - pirate costume, and emote, and some game currency.

You have to link your Amazon account to your Steam account.

Thanks! Didn't know this.

• Options
    my queue is numerically very small but practically very long. not really concerned about it. wasn't expecting to play today anyway

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I don't know if the queue you see while waiting is the true queue at this point. It seemed to be working this afternoon, but mine said 58 earlier tonight which seemed low to me and it wasn't moving. I left it and checked the world list and on that it had the queue at almost 3,000.

anoffday on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I made a purple guild named The Brass Embassy on Valgrind. I'm not married to it but it amused me to do so and I got a few friends in.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Theres a bug with logging in that puts you in a queue that doesnt move, so if you seem stuck for a long time its time to leave and rejoin the queue. :(

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Played for about eight hours today with maybe an hour letting the game log in. Game doesn't do anything radically different however I enjoyed running around searching for materials to kit out my Tankadin (Healing Staff + Sword and Board) with all common crafted gear. Very satisfying to see your stats go up once you get a good set of gear on.

Performance is as expected: horrific in the city and decent out in the wild. The recommended settings for this game have to be for 1080P/30FPS.

That said there's a lot going on in the game (even though - again - it's not really blazing any new trails) that I am liking and this is definitely something to casually get in on every now and then (particularly with no monthly fee).
    CorriganX wrote: »

every single server had a queue in US East earlier. At least 100-300 people.

I made my character on a a server with 300 person queue and got in within 30 minutes. Not ideal, but on a launch day with people trying to cram themselves into single servers I would call that a win. The alternative is to just keep throwing servers at the problem which doesn't seem like much of a solution once interest settles down to an equilibrium.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Myself and partner are US West Killaurus... Which was low pop when we picked it, but now 1k queues.

None of y'all are west coast? That makes me a sad.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    anoffday wrote: »
    I don't know if the queue you see while waiting is the true queue at this point. It seemed to be working this afternoon, but mine said 58 earlier tonight which seemed low to me and it wasn't moving. I left it and checked the world list and on that it had the queue at almost 3,000.

there appears to be a separate queue for the actual game world vs. the new character tutorial

if you already made a character it seems like your queue was a very low number but you were low priority behind people exiting the tutorial

if you were making a character then you got a monster big number queue while you waited to get into the tutorial

every single time I queued tonight (at least 3 times) it was always a very small double digit queue that lasted 1-2 hours, while new people were seeing hundreds/thousands

Jasconius on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Managed to play for about 3 hours tonight, got to level 11. Pretty fun so far!!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Myself and partner are US West Killaurus... Which was low pop when we picked it, but now 1k queues.

None of y'all are west coast? That makes me a sad.

I'm west coast but everyone else I know who got the game is east so I rolled there :(

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is this true?

that seems like a big bug if real

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

They did. It took them a couple of hours but they stood up 28 additional servers.

Before they opened those additional 28, every single server was full.
    is this true?

It's a bug of some sort. I died away from a camp and was able to teleport back to town instantly as normal. Overall, aside from my initial connection issues, the game has been pretty bug free. All the bugs I complained about during the open beta have been fixed (including the annoying sound bug).

• Options
    is this true?

Definitely a bug and something I couldn't reproduce. When you die you get a selection of respawn points (including your camp) to get sent back to. Just tested on a new character (with nothing unlocked) and my actual character - both had appropriate respawn options.

. . .given that this was posted before server maintenance I would say that person needs to relog.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    So when you guys are referring to "purple" in terms of factions, am I to assume that means the syndicate?

edit - stupid question. I hadn't gotten to the faction selection mission and the answer became obvious.

Yall on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, the factions are color coded. Way easier to refer to them by color than trying to remember their generic associated names.

And in Closed Beta, Purple was by far the dominant choice of most players, with Green having a pretty decent representation, and Yellow being only like a quarter of the population. They were way smaller. It was kind of sad, and it reminded me of Pokemon Go, in which the yellow team in that game was also woefully under-populated.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    https://newworldstatus.com/ All kinds of cool stats about the servers and queues and stuff. Looks like they did double the number of servers for the game yesterday and there seem to be no/low queue servers in all regions except EU right now... though since it's midday there seems like there's still not enough servers for EU. I wonder what metrics they use to enable more servers in a region?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Presumably congestion levels.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    https://newworldstatus.com/ All kinds of cool stats about the servers and queues and stuff. Looks like they did double the number of servers for the game yesterday and there seem to be no/low queue servers in all regions except EU right now... though since it's midday there seems like there's still not enough servers for EU. I wonder what metrics they use to enable more servers in a region?

I laughed at the 2 players o the 7th and then half a million (actually in the game presumably) the next day. Also this needs to be somewhere official if it isn't already. Forcing people to idle into a wall because they can't see what the current queue times are and would rather not risk it is just lame and an ugly sight in game.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    the immortal bug is real but it seemed to only impact people who were login-first-minute type people, and it fixed itself on relog or if you did manage to die while immortal (drowning, etc) it also went away

don't know anyone who got the respawn bug

i managed to play for 2 hours last night and ran into absolutely zero issues. the game was pretty lag free, ran good but not great (to be expected?)

it's probably the most stable MMO launch I've experienced second only to wow classic.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Yeah I played for a few hours after waiting through a 500~ person queue, and the game seemed to run well with only a bit of lag towards the end but nothing major. Were a couple of bugs but nothing that more than a minor annoyance at least for me.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The game ran a lot better for me than it did during the open beta, I was pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    the immortal bug is real but it seemed to only impact people who were first-login type people, and it fixed itself on relog or if you did manage to die while immortal (drowning, etc) it also went away

don't know anyone who got the respawn bug

i managed to play for 2 hours last night and ran into absolutely zero issues. the game was pretty lag free, ran good but not great (to be expected?)

it's probably the most stable MMO launch I've experienced second only to wow classic.

Yeah, the "most buggy MMO release. . ." line just didn't jibe with me. There is crazy lag in the early areas, but way outside the city and this morning the game runs exactly as you would expect and want it to. My specs aren't enough to get me into 1440P/60 range but I'm fine with 4K/30 doing PvE stuff.