As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Painting exhibition a thread

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So in trying to organize the mess of paints and playing a game of AoS with my hopper army I had not put away yet I painted two just winging it as I went
    fvn0w5l4rius.png

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    86hdvc9y1h7p.jpeg

Ignore my very messy workspace for a WIP model I started yesterday evening

Need to go back and make a second pass as the stippling to get it more vibrant/even in places

But I think this is good? Going to really pop once I hit it with a gloss varnish and everything is shiny

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Love the carapace scheme.

Also nice base. Are those just slices of plastic tube?

honovere on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Love the carapace scheme.

Also nice base. Are those just slices of plastic tube?

Yeah, coffee stirrers specifically

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any experience using guitar wire for decorating minis? I was thinking of using them for some servo skull wires.

I've seen several people use it online, so I dropped by a local music shop which kindly gave me a bunch of cut-offs. But they are really stiff; I'd expect it's only possible to do (almost) straight lines, not curved cabling.

Is there a trick to it, or will they have to be straight?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience using guitar wire for decorating minis? I was thinking of using them for some servo skull wires.

I've seen several people use it online, so I dropped by a local music shop which kindly gave me a bunch of cut-offs. But they are really stiff; I'd expect it's only possible to do (almost) straight lines, not curved cabling.

Pliars?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Pliars?

Pliers will work but likely separate some of the braiding

The D string for guitars is probably the most malleable while still being braided

It might be worth just buying a pack or 2, you’ll be out like 12 bucks

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I generally don't post WIPs, but I'm super duper happy with how this is turning out:

unknown.png

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Vanguard wrote: »

Pliars?

Pliers will work but likely separate some of the braiding

The D string for guitars is probably the most malleable while still being braided

It might be worth just buying a pack or 2, you’ll be out like 12 bucks

I'm rather happy with what I got; lots of different guages and types for variety. Plus, this allows me to experiment with different types. But when I figure out what works, I should probably just buy more of that, yes.

Can I get the wire to hold a bent shape with superglue?

Ed: This is gonna end with me gluing my pliars to the guitar wire, isn't it?

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    I have had luck wrapping superglued chains in wax paper while they dry. True, I did not need to exert force on the chains while they dried, but, the paper came off pretty easily. For the most part. Then just cutting away some excess glue very carefully. There were some failures along the way, but, an idea for you.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    I generally don't post WIPs, but I'm super duper happy with how this is turning out:

unknown.png

And well you should be!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to find a mini to practice my Tau paint scheme on but I'm not sure what. I want something mech like, I was considering grabbing 2 or 3 battletech minis but the cost is roughly the same as getting a Tau battlesuit box so I might just do that if I can't find anything cheaper than those two options.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Can probably find cheap firewarriors on troll trader

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Edit: whoops

Vanguard on
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    WIP... After agonizing over paint schemes for literally weeks, it turns out I should have just listened to Brainleech. I tend towards dark grimy paint schemes because I'm better at them then bright stuff, but this is the first (out of literally dozens) of test paints that I've immediately thought "wow, I like that".

Still needs pinwashing, highlights and bases, but it's a good start.

4xhomgicrfep.jpg
    w544kb48wlsx.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    What's a good starter paint set for a friend who's just getting into the hobby (painting fantasy-themed stuff)?

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    Scale 75 just released a basics starter set

It's a more challenging paint to thin, but it's got a good color selection.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I don't know about starter sets, but I would recommend anyone to use Scale or AK Interactive Paints. I've started to use Mission Models a little and it seems ok (at least through an airbrush). I know AK and Mission don't have starters.

AK is easily my favorite though. It thins nicely and covers well.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I ended up buying some battletech minis. Not as expensive as I thought they would be so that was nice and I also just like mech warrior. Got a black lanner prime, arch arc-8m, and a marauder mad-51.

The models look nice and I don't mind pewter but these mold lines are a nightmare.

Got two built so far. The marauder is kind of nuts for the build and how things connect for the arms and legs. I really don't like it and I don't think I can pin to make it work so it is a little stress full.

I want to test the Borderlands Maliwan paint scheme I want to do on my Tau on these. I think I'm gonna prime them all in grey seer and then paint one entirely with contrast, on with regular paint, and then the third with a combination of the two.

9gbnyt2ufs3a.jpeg

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    WIP... After agonizing over paint schemes for literally weeks, it turns out I should have just listened to Brainleech. I tend towards dark grimy paint schemes because I'm better at them then bright stuff, but this is the first (out of literally dozens) of test paints that I've immediately thought "wow, I like that".

Still needs pinwashing, highlights and bases, but it's a good start.

4xhomgicrfep.jpg
    w544kb48wlsx.jpg

The inks in the background please me.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Dr_Keenbean ufcf7ek0zme9.jpg

Leftmost from the background of the other pic, included just in case, isn't actually an ink.. kind of a weird orangey enamel panel liner I picked up to try. Haven't found a good use for it yet.

The other two are Daler Rowney Flame red #517 and Rose Fluo #538

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Wrapped this up this morning after his basing dried overnight.

Pretty happy with both the final result and the amount of effort required to get a good looking mini. Definitely something I can mass produce without huge headaches. I'm always doing stupid things that require like three customs blends to get one color or finish. The only one here was to mix a magenta airpaint with a purple GW acrylic to get the right shade of magenta I wanted for the shoulder/arm.

Only question is, what color do I paint the base rim? Rust orange to match the base or celestra grey to get close to the armor color?

akm0l8i8pt4v.jpg
    d8bx4briptk3.jpg
    w2w6iafoghz1.jpg
    eflpmycd9kjd.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I also finally figured out how to make custom decals using gimp and some vector graphics I found of literally every chapter ever. Decal paper is on the way today.

We'll see how the final result turns out.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Ive been using Daler Rowney white and man the stuff is great

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Ive been using Daler Rowney white and man the stuff is great

My liquitex white was starting to get chunky and spattery through my airbrush after having it for like 18 months. Grabbed a daler Rowney white and it's super smooth.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Only question is, what color do I paint the base rim? Rust orange to match the base or celestra grey to get close to the armor color?

Goblin Green, as is right and proper.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Final result for my printed chapter icon is pretty rad. It looks a little pixely when held up to your face, but at arms length it looks almost as good as any other chapter logo.

7k5smr3cpfc1.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Did some work on the first mech to test the scheme with gryph-hound orange, apothecary white, black templar, and aethermatic blue. Blocked out most of the colors. Looks messy so far and a little more base color work to go that I'll try to do tomorrow.

In general I like the colors. I am dreading doing the cell shaded effect, not sure I'm gonna use black templar with it since I want as much control as I can get while doing that part.
    afn9hby1640f.jpeg
    je6yj6g95sln.jpeg
    7a517tnmqjhv.jpeg
    ruw27wpf9hrf.jpeg

• Options
    43mgpvpocs17.jpeg

Could I get some feedback on the bases? My army will have a mix of red and yellow skin so need to find something that works for both of them.

I think I either need to lighten up the gray a good amount or maybe work in an earth tone pallet.

Thoughts?

• Options
    I am doing a jungle theme across my armies. Are you doing barren or tyranid converted terrain? as a theme?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I am doing a jungle theme across my armies. Are you doing barren or tyranid converted terrain? as a theme?

I wanted it to look like a barren hive world

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

I wanted it to look like a barren hive world

It would have ash wastes and run off since think of NY but grimer and now continent sized

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    43mgpvpocs17.jpeg

Could I get some feedback on the bases? My army will have a mix of red and yellow skin so need to find something that works for both of them.

I think I either need to lighten up the gray a good amount or maybe work in an earth tone pallet.

Thoughts?

Yeah, definitely lighter earth tones would be good, currently it’s hard to tell they are based from far away with them being so dark.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    43mgpvpocs17.jpeg

Thoughts?

Yeah, definitely lighter earth tones would be good, currently it’s hard to tell they are based from far away with them being so dark.

zqfdqswineuy.jpeg

Gave it a shot with what I had on hand - going to experiment a little more but think this is better. Will add some dead tufts of grass and maybe a stone or two to give the impression that this land is in the process of being invaded.

• Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Put it in the main 40k thread, but here's my slaanesh contorted epitome with mirror paints (presented in progression)
    l198cvggyb9x.jpg
    swtw6ew0ru98.jpg
    zevg03qgz1l0.jpg
    zlb2c6nzkta3.jpg
    lb6ec078w946.jpg

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I am trying to nail down a darker gold scheme for some Custodes.

c22fj5655f2b.png

and from behind
    oejbdcbexugu.png

Thoughts? I used P3 blighted gold, then had come across Sam Lenz' Stormcast where he used green and blue with it. Inspiration wise.

J on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    grf08ykkok8w.jpg
    ggob4g2vknhn.jpg

Finally started painting my Tohaa. Still need to clean it up a little.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    novaspike wrote: »
    Put it in the main 40k thread, but here's my slaanesh contorted epitome with mirror paints (presented in progression)
    l198cvggyb9x.jpg
    swtw6ew0ru98.jpg
    zevg03qgz1l0.jpg
    zlb2c6nzkta3.jpg
    lb6ec078w946.jpg

That looks incredible!

Man, I love Slaanesh's elegant, swirly, dynamic aesthetic - except for all the pain and torture. I just wanna paint some happy little half-crustecean people :razz:

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Speaking of Slaanesh, I've just finished what is certainly the largest model I've ever painted, hopefully it is also the largest model I ever will paint, I didn't get into this mini painting lark to paint big things, stands to reason!

ft1ej93zypn3.jpg
    hcio7asqt387.jpg
    wcbnl5b1i9jn.jpg
    62gdqsl7oskf.jpg
    m2iz97vb6r70.jpg
    z3nfqsdgrsdx.jpg
    p2kpaaa3140a.jpg
    0mfkbag216pl.jpg
    jfg6p1jvg7um.jpg
    w6cw3nfyc4v1.jpg
    mbptod6kvn0x.jpg

Kind of a weird model where I like all the elements individually, but I'm not sure it totally all comes together in composite, certainly I think I prefer the other GW diorama-style kits to this one, but it's still a nice sculpt, all the new Slaanesh stuff is nice, really, even if it did take an age to paint! I do need to finish up the base with some foliage to brighten things up, and maybe flick some dust around the wheels a bit, but other than that it's finished at least.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Speaking of Slaanesh, I've just finished what is certainly the largest model I've ever painted, hopefully it is also the largest model I ever will paint, I didn't get into this mini painting lark to paint big things, stands to reason!

ft1ej93zypn3.jpg
    hcio7asqt387.jpg
    wcbnl5b1i9jn.jpg
    62gdqsl7oskf.jpg
    m2iz97vb6r70.jpg
    z3nfqsdgrsdx.jpg
    p2kpaaa3140a.jpg
    0mfkbag216pl.jpg
    jfg6p1jvg7um.jpg
    w6cw3nfyc4v1.jpg
    mbptod6kvn0x.jpg

Kind of a weird model where I like all the elements individually, but I'm not sure it totally all comes together in composite, certainly I think I prefer the other GW diorama-style kits to this one, but it's still a nice sculpt, all the new Slaanesh stuff is nice, really, even if it did take an age to paint! I do need to finish up the base with some foliage to brighten things up, and maybe flick some dust around the wheels a bit, but other than that it's finished at least.

So with these big models, are they just for display or can you actually bring them to a table and use them in a game?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.