As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[New World] Where we ask the REAL questions! Like, "What is Launch?"

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i am doing 1440p "Very High" detail... outside the city I range between 50 and 90 fps depending on what i am looking at

in the city I get 20-30 no matter what detail settings I have on... even on "Low" it's still 25 so... I feel like they could optimize still and it would run pretty smooth down the road

3070 TI w/ a dated Ryzen Threadripper. I am usually CPU-bound

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Picked this up last night just to see what the hype was about. Chose a server in US West with almost no queue and got in pretty quick. I don't feel a ton of sympathy for people running their own head against a wall on a high queue server and than complaining it hurts (not saying anyone here is doing that, just the general zeitgeist right now).

So far it feels like an MMO ass MMO with newer more actiony combat. The UI is really nice, it's super pretty. I feel like most competitive resource MMO's it's going to live and die by the community and how well they do engaging the average player in the competition. If the average player ends up feeling shut out of the high end PvP and resources it will struggle to keep players.

e: As far as performance, I'm actually surprised how well it runs in large groups of people. Out in the wilderness I expect my system to slay 1440p/Very High, and it does...but even in town, around big groups of people, it holds it's frames well, which is nice. For reference I'm running this on a 3090 with a 5950X so probably not representative for most people.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    the immortal bug is real but it seemed to only impact people who were first-login type people, and it fixed itself on relog or if you did manage to die while immortal (drowning, etc) it also went away

don't know anyone who got the respawn bug

i managed to play for 2 hours last night and ran into absolutely zero issues. the game was pretty lag free, ran good but not great (to be expected?)

it's probably the most stable MMO launch I've experienced second only to wow classic.

Yeah, the "most buggy MMO release. . ." line just didn't jibe with me. There is crazy lag in the early areas, but way outside the city and this morning the game runs exactly as you would expect and want it to. My specs aren't enough to get me into 1440P/60 range but I'm fine with 4K/30 doing PvE stuff.

Yeah I sort of just rolled by eyes at that line. If anything, this might be the least buggy MMO release I've seen. It's been fairly stable once you get in, queues aren't technically a bug. Yes I'm sure there's bugs scattered around, but otherwise my experience has been super smooth. Performance could use some improvements, there's not really any reason my machine should be dipping sub 30 sometimes out in the world away from towns, for example, but not terrible.

I dunno, either heavy recency bias or their only MMO release.

• Options
    This is not even in the running for the "most buggy MMO release" I've ever seen so far. It may have faults, but being a buggy mess is not one so far.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    "most buggy MMO launch" has real "guy who's only played Dark Souls" energy
    At the risk of ignorantly and completely glossing over the broad technical hurdles required to do so, you'd think the launch of what they intend to be a AAA MMO from Amazon might, you know, leverage the vast ecology of AWS to bolster server instances and performance in the short term.

I do have to say this is not how things work. Day 1 of an MMO launch is overwhelming load compared to what you'll have literally any other day, and while dynamic scaling is a thing in IT resources it's not a magic button

admanb on
  • Options
    I agree with that, though I will add that Amazon did stand up like 30 new servers yesterday very quickly. So clearly they are leveraging AWS's ability to quickly stand up resources. Combined with the availability of free character moves once load settles they seem to be handling it reasonably well so far.

It's not their fault that parasocial relationships with streamers/popular PvP guilds have become such a blight on gaming, pushing a lot of people to a few really overloaded servers because they might get to interact with/troll a streamer.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Sounds like that guy's never heard of the legend of WW2 Online's launch. Kids today!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It does seem they really should've just stood up new servers and said when you go to log in, "This is Valgrind-B. Anyone on this server will be auto-merged to Valgrind-A in 48 hours but this will let you log in now." You don't need to do dynamic scaling in this instance, just offer to park someone on a temp server.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I mean, they are doing that, it's just not automatic. Any time you say "make a manual system automatic", you've raised the upfront engineering time by 3x at a minimum. I have this conversation with product managers on the regular. "Just make it automatic", "Okay, well, than I need 3x the number of sprints to make the feature, test it, and make sure it's stable, traceable and visible".

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Looks like they added new EU servers... and they've hit a new peak user number on Steam with 731k players. To bad they still have 200k+ people still queued in EU.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I mean, they are doing that, it's just not automatic. Any time you say "make a manual system automatic", you've raised the upfront engineering time by 3x at a minimum. I have this conversation with product managers on the regular. "Just make it automatic", "Okay, well, than I need 3x the number of sprints to make the feature, test it, and make sure it's stable, traceable and visible".

"but we only need to do it 20-30 times!"

"then why the hell does it need to be automatic???"

• Options
    Unrelated to AWS's tech...

I've been playing sword + board w/ ice gauntlet so far and it seems like a neat combo. Ice gauntlet for ranged plus some CC and sword + board when things get close. Might play around with life staff as well to see how that works.

• Options

Well, they announced the free server transfers AFTER most folks had coordinated starting location with friends and created characters and there was no notice in game "you sure you want to create here and have a five hour queue?"

Totally self inflicted, but it'd be more work to coordinate/cajole five people with 30+ hours of playtime between them now to make new characters and roll elsewhere than to just suck it up and hope queues decline.

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    the immortal bug is real but it seemed to only impact people who were first-login type people, and it fixed itself on relog or if you did manage to die while immortal (drowning, etc) it also went away

i managed to play for 2 hours last night and ran into absolutely zero issues. the game was pretty lag free, ran good but not great (to be expected?)

it's probably the most stable MMO launch I've experienced second only to wow classic.

Yeah, the "most buggy MMO release. . ." line just didn't jibe with me. There is crazy lag in the early areas, but way outside the city and this morning the game runs exactly as you would expect and want it to. My specs aren't enough to get me into 1440P/60 range but I'm fine with 4K/30 doing PvE stuff.

Yeah I sort of just rolled by eyes at that line. If anything, this might be the least buggy MMO release I've seen. It's been fairly stable once you get in, queues aren't technically a bug. Yes I'm sure there's bugs scattered around, but otherwise my experience has been super smooth. Performance could use some improvements, there's not really any reason my machine should be dipping sub 30 sometimes out in the world away from towns, for example, but not terrible.

people have been broadly extremely negative about this game pretty much from beta 1, and are looking for anything to grab onto in order to vindicate their negativity

but of people who have actually played the game, the reception seems to be overwhelmingly positive, and I know from my own perspective, every time I touch the game my impression becomes more favorable

this portends well for the future of the game. usually MMOs get a ton of hype and then fail to meet it. New World almost has negative hype. People kind of dismissed it out of hand, but it's now performing. Maybe it's not the best game. But it's playable and it's presenting people with something they've not had in an MMO for a while.

Good stuff.

• Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    Is there going to be a PA group somewhere in the NA East?

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Sounds like that guy's never heard of the legend of WW2 Online's launch. Kids today!

Be careful not to mention them two more times. Like the Candyman, they'll come!
    Koldanar wrote: »
    Is there going to be a PA group somewhere in the NA East?

I hope so!

Should we have the OP update with steam ID's for friend invites?

edit: here's my ID - https://steamcommunity.com/id/Yall/

Yall on
  • Options
    I'm definitely not worrying about playing with/coordinating with friends/PA'ers until the server queues die down and picking a more permanent server makes sense.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Theres a few of us on Yanxcha, not a whole lot. But i'm in a company with 6-7 non-pa folk friends. The queues aren't horrendous here so far, so if anyone us East wants to roll here let me know.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    For those, like me, who couldn't figure out how to self target buffs/heals, hold Ctrl and hit the key bind.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    For those, like me, who couldn't figure out how to self target buffs/heals, hold Ctrl and hit the key bind.

This just made it dawn on me that beyond the intro tutorial there is literally no info drops for actions beyond the intro. Or hell how the Alt-Targetting works (this seriously needs another pass because the ingame descriptions are vague as hell).

Speaking of controls, if - like me - you put controller support high up on your list of things PC games need to have for maximum enjoyment, here is a STEAM Controller config that works VERY well. Like so well you wonder how a small team wasn't tossed on this so that what is fast becoming an accessibility option (controller support) wasn't ready for launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzS3BANe2pM

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, the factions are color coded. Way easier to refer to them by color than trying to remember their generic associated names.

And in Closed Beta, Purple was by far the dominant choice of most players, with Green having a pretty decent representation, and Yellow being only like a quarter of the population. They were way smaller. It was kind of sad, and it reminded me of Pokemon Go, in which the yellow team in that game was also woefully under-populated.

a9YA900_700b_v1.jpg

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »

people have been broadly extremely negative about this game pretty much from beta 1, and are looking for anything to grab onto in order to vindicate their negativity

but of people who have actually played the game, the reception seems to be overwhelmingly positive, and I know from my own perspective, every time I touch the game my impression becomes more favorable

this portends well for the future of the game. usually MMOs get a ton of hype and then fail to meet it. New World almost has negative hype. People kind of dismissed it out of hand, but it's now performing. Maybe it's not the best game. But it's playable and it's presenting people with something they've not had in an MMO for a while.

Good stuff.
    As one of those who is pretty negative about this game, I'm really curious to hear what people's impressions are one month post-release. I know (from experience) that the first impressions are going to be good (if not great), but I found that the lack of real content left me pretty bored after about a week of hardcore play. I made it to level 38 in six days and realized that there was literally nothing left for me to do.

26904.png
  • Options
    I plan to play much more casually than that, so it may be a long time before I run out of content. I have Destiny 2 as my current "hard core grind" game and my sim racing as a constant time eater. I have a few hours a week for New World and it seems fine at that pace right now.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Played for a few hours earlier, I think I’ll enjoy this for a while.

My main goal is to get a house, decorate it, and sell furniture.

I’ll be chopping down a lot of trees.

I’m playing 1080p widescreen, on a GeForce 970, and was getting 45-60 FPS on medium, which I was pleasantly surprised by.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    One thing we should probably coordinate is what World Set the server that ultimately gets settled on once things calm down will be on, since you can only have one character per World Set, which is particularly pertinent for people who might be interested in an alt.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I'll be curious to see if they ever adjust the faction reward ratios with PvE vis a vis PvP. Right now they are really trying to get you to do the PvP missions, which offer sometimes 4x the reward. I see their thought process here but I feel like the current ratios make the PvE especially grindy.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I’m pretty positive about it. The game isn’t perfect, but I think it’s fun. Here are some of my positives:

—The UX and UI design in this game is unparalleled. I can honestly say I have never seen a game with a better interface or menus.

—The graphics are great and the game plays very well. Even with a lot of characters and action on the screen, the engine handles it pretty well.

—I genuinely enjoy the combat. It’s a refreshing change from Tab-Target which is what I have played almost exclusively for 25 years. With a MMO history of EQ, WoW, SWTOR, and FFXIV, playing a more active combat MMO is a lot of fun to me.

I know combat is simplistic and not perfect, but I’m enjoying it anyway. I don’t need Souls combat to be able to enjoy it. This is more than fine for what I’m looking for.

• Options
    had another good short session tonight after a 1.5 hour queue

the core game loop at least early on is hitting the spot, combat started to get really challenging too

my biggest wish right now is I wish the game ran a little smoother

while I was grinding I saw what must have been 200 people running in a giant PVP mob and that was awesome

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, the factions are color coded. Way easier to refer to them by color than trying to remember their generic associated names.

And in Closed Beta, Purple was by far the dominant choice of most players, with Green having a pretty decent representation, and Yellow being only like a quarter of the population. They were way smaller. It was kind of sad, and it reminded me of Pokemon Go, in which the yellow team in that game was also woefully under-populated.

a9YA900_700b_v1.jpg

In my opinion it has to do with the ideology behind yellow. I wouldn't join the faction who sends hopes and prayers if I am attacked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Also on Yaxche, I have a Company called "Just Trolling". The crest is the fishing crest. It's a terrible joke. We are up to about 8 people that are/were PA or PA adjacent. Mostly just doing whatever feels fun.

• Options
    I'll be curious to see if they ever adjust the faction reward ratios with PvE vis a vis PvP. Right now they are really trying to get you to do the PvP missions, which offer sometimes 4x the reward. I see their thought process here but I feel like the current ratios make the PvE especially grindy.

I was doing the PVP faction missions yesterday. It just replaced the same mission with the same mission three times. It's definitely already obvious enough how limited the quest system is but going to the exact same spot and doing the exact same three quests over and over was so bad I'm already bored of that.

• Options
    Played for another few hours last night.

Little tip - if you run into a cave to fight a named bear with a gold outline who is 6 levels above you, remember to plop a camp down first, thus avoiding a long run back after you have your face pulled off.

Also, no queues in the EU last night, which was nice.

I need a few more levels in area rep and I get my first house !

Does anyone know where you buy the spirit bits you need to make jewelry ? I have silver, but need one more part to refine my gems into a usable part. The description says faction vendor.

I'm level 13, still in the starter town.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    We somehow ended up on one of the only servers where the Syndicate are the bottom tier faction. We've been struggling to hold our single territory long term.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Little tip - if you run into a cave to fight a named bear with a gold outline who is 6 levels above you, remember to plop a camp down first, thus avoiding a long run back after you have your face pulled off.

Does anyone know where you buy the spirit bits you need to make jewelry ? I have silver, but need one more part to refine my gems into a usable part. The description says faction vendor.

In the starter town you get a mission to choose a faction. When you eventually choose you can open a faction board at that faction person. On the board you can go to the faction vendor.
    You have to grind faction to get access to better stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

In the starter town you get a mission to choose a faction. When you eventually choose you can open a faction board at that faction person. On the board you can go to the faction vendor.

Ok, thanks, I got to that part last night.

I'll check it out when I get home.

I really hope I don't have to do PvP stuff to get jewellery...

• Options

Ok, thanks, I got to that part last night.

I'll check it out when I get home.

I really hope I don't have to do PvP stuff to get jewellery...

There are three faction quests that aren't PvP.

That said, if you just never want to play PvP ever this is not the game for you. The only non repetitive content is PvP.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    is this true?

that seems like a big bug if real

I don't know who bob is and not to just defend the game for it's problems, but if this is the buggiest mmo launch he's experienced then he couldn't have played that many mmos.

Besides queues, this is by far the smoothest mmo launch I've been a part of, but maybe that more so speaks to the initial state of most mmos.

edit: oops late to the party. I see a few have said the same thing. Glad I'm not the only one though. I've actually been fairly impressed with this launch.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    I replied and he, um, "clarified" that he didn't mean least playable he specifically meant buggiest which is still pretty lmao, but I have no interest in arguing with someone whose first step is moving goalposts.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

The elemental motes come from harvesting elemental plants and mining elemental ores.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Am I doing something wrong with fishing or is it just... Not fun? Is there something else to do besides hold down the mouse button and pray the line doesn't break? Cuz um, spending ten minutes fishing to get like, 2 fish, isn't that fun.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera