As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I have this cool looking chill spider in my driveway. Anyone know what kind it is? Georgia crab spider maybe. ngcdz4qiwofe.jpg

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It looks like a male (because it's pedipalps has the "shovels" that males use to transfer sperm), so despite the blurry picture I'm going to be "maybe it's a humpbacked orbweaver?" because I don't think male crabspiders have an abdomen that big. And the legs look spiky, are they?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Apparently it is a spotted orbweaver. We thought it was weird there was a giant web at night, and no trace of it in the morning. They eat the web in the morning so predators don't know its there.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Homes247.inHomes247.in Registered User new member
    nice one

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Help me bug thread! We have a newly-hatched monarch butterfly with a fold on its wing. How can I help it be able to fly?
    u8ht4nigqnrt.jpg

Insect wings either come out right or not. There is nothing you can do about it.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Help me bug thread! We have a newly-hatched monarch butterfly with a fold on its wing. How can I help it be able to fly?
    u8ht4nigqnrt.jpg

Buy it a drone

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Wanted to repost a couple spider pics from the SE++ thread to make sure I had the right ID. I'm fairly certain I answered my own ID on the big one. The spindly one is almost as large, leg to leg as my palm. The other one we called crab spiders because the look like crab shells, but they're some kind of orb weaver?
    fedim5yd2jyj.jpg
    pupfuayoftip.jpg
    bg1izda8ccqt.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    The spiky boi is a Spinybacked Orbweaver (Gasteracantha cancriformis).
    The leggy boi is a Golden Silk Spider (Trichonephila clavipes)

So they're both orbweavers. Just very different branches of the tree.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Spiky boi is pretty!

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    A couple days ago I came home from exercising to discover this absolute unit of a spider having an adventure through probably the furthest point in my house from any obvious point of ingress. They did not appreciate my turning the lights on and promptly transformed into a vaguely fuzzy blur scuttling toward the nearest available shadow. I captured them in my bug-catchin' cup (an old, disused Starbucks reusable) and ushered them to more appropriate climes, but not before taking a few pictures. I found a guide to common North Carolinian spiders online, but (partially due to the bad image quality, and perhaps because the guide (as could reasonably be expected) isn't an exhaustive list of every possibility) I'm not seeing anything that looks like a really obvious match. Possibly a male eris militaris.

Any guesses?
    ufs8132z4qub.jpg

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    No no no. The bronze jumping spider is tiiiny. Like 6mm (quarter of an inch) maximum.

That's a wolf spider (it has the characteristic thorax stripe+Abdomen Y).
    Possibly a Woodland Giant Wolf Spider (Tigrosa aspersa) like this
    original.jpeg?1568082929

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Dang. I know most of the big spiders I see around here are grass spiders, but now I'm questioning whether or not I've ever seen a wolf spider. Are any of them light grey, or are they all dark like that?

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Dang. I know most of the big spiders I see around here are grass spiders, but now I'm questioning whether or not I've ever seen a wolf spider. Are any of them light grey, or are they all dark like that?

Wolf spiders come in every nuance of brown, tan, grey and black.

Like this Pirate Otter spider (pirata piraticus. Yes, that's a real spider and that its real nomenclature.)
    large.jpeg?1523428878

Or this magnificent Rabid Wolf Spider (Rabidosa rabida. Yes, that's also what it's really called. The rabidosa is what most people think of when they think wolf spider)
    large.jpg?1545559769

Shoreline wolf spider (Arctosa littoralis)
    large.jpg?1559251625

Banded Union-Jack Wolf Spider (Tasmanicosa ramosa. Note that if you're in the US you might come across the Unbanded Wolf Spider, which has a similar "flag" on its thorax but no bands on the abdomen)
    large.jpg?1551654470

P.S: Not my pictures. I just looked on inaturalist for pictures of some of my favorite wolf spiders. Also. Not every wolf spider is spectacular. Some are just muddled-brown/tan boring.

God, even those pictures give me chills

Wolfspiders are apparently still capable of pinging my fading arachnophobia

shivers

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Oh, neat. Yeah, the Rabid Wolf Spider is the one I've seen. Thanks!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I've run into wolf spiders occasionally, I think they're super cool. Something about their morphology makes them look like super effective predators. Plus I like their attitude. They may be relatively small and harmless to humans, but they'll threat-posture at human-sized threats regardless.

I mean, I know spider threat posturing isn't supposed to signal a challenge but exactly the opposite: "I don't want to fight, but I'm watching you and I'm ready to fight if I have to." But it kind of looks like a challenge anyway.

MSL59.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Still potentially a real dragon though :o

Thanks so much for the identification :) I think your guess is correct. The sheath length was definitely far greater than 1.8x wing.

Sadly I couldn't get great focus or angle on the head, this image is quite zoomed in. It was above my head and through a bush so it took some work, I was trying really hard not to upset the foliage and have it fly off on me.

Edit:
    Better picture of ovipositor length
    phoIheg.jpg

They call these "stump stabbers" around these parts. I had a ton of them on a dying sugar maple tree one year. They absolutely do drill that crazy long ovipositor right into the wood. It's damned bizarre to see.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    I've run into wolf spiders occasionally, I think they're super cool. Something about their morphology makes them look like super effective predators. Plus I like their attitude. They may be relatively small and harmless to humans, but they'll threat-posture at human-sized threats regardless.

I mean, I know spider threat posturing isn't supposed to signal a challenge but exactly the opposite: "I don't want to fight, but I'm watching you and I'm ready to fight if I have to." But it kind of looks like a challenge anyway.

I love wolf spiders because our lawn has ant issues and sitting on the front step watching a wolf spider just run up and wreck them is endlessly entertaining.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

I love wolf spiders because our lawn has ant issues and sitting on the front step watching a wolf spider just run up and wreck them is endlessly entertaining.

Sorry, having bad SimAnt flashbacks right now.
    I'll be hiding under my desk if you need me.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    I found one of the beetles I spotted during the summer! It’s dead :( but it does confirm that it was probably a ponderous borer beetle.
    rqvjfq0em37e.jpeg

this big boi is like 3 inches long, but you really can't tell from this picture.

Dying what happens to insects, so there is no reason to feel sad about it. Creatures with exoskeletons need to molt every few months to survive (although large crustaceans can go for as long as 2 years between molts). For insects that have achieved their winged adult forms, that's the last time they're able to molt. That this guy (or gal?) is relatively intact probably means that there are a bunch of larvae happily chewing inside a nearby fallen tree or tree stump, getting fat and preparing for the next generation of borer beetles.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Dying what happens to insects, so there is no reason to feel sad about it. Creatures with exoskeletons need to molt every few months to survive (although large crustaceans can go for as long as 2 years between molts). For insects that have achieved their winged adult forms, that's the last time they're able to molt. That this guy (or gal?) is relatively intact probably means that there are a bunch of larvae happily chewing inside a nearby fallen tree or tree stump, getting fat and preparing for the next generation of borer beetles.

Or in the case of the bark beetles in the US contributing as fast as they possibly can to climate change by killing as many trees as possible as quickly as possible :P

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    found this 8*-legged fellow chilling on the side of my house:
    si5fe61k7u7j.jpg

Never seen a single pair of super long legs like that.

About ~1inch between the tips of those two forward legs.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I can't quite tell from the picture, but was his body basically one large section?

If so, you're probably looking at a daddy longlegs, or harvestman, which is not a spider and may not even be an arachnid!

They're super cool bugs.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    I can't quite tell from the picture, but was his body basically one large section?

If so, you're probably looking at a daddy longlegs, or harvestman, which is not a spider and may not even be an arachnid!

They're super cool bugs.

This was my first reaction as well

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Gross bug.jpeg

Wife just texted me this from our house. It's a Roach, right?

Do I need to burn my house down and start anew?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    Is that a horn at the front? I don't know what I am looking at, but I don't think there are horned roaches

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Okay there are horned roaches (from Madagascar) but they don't look like that

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited December 2021
    My wonderful wife says she doesn't know and has disposed of it already. :(

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    My guess is that's a beetle of some kind.

What part of the world are you in?

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Ringo wrote: »
    My guess is that's a beetle of some kind.

What part of the world are you in?
    Midwest US

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    It's NOT a beetle, it's NOT a roach. It's a Black corsair (or something similar), a kind of assassin bug.
    • It has big leathery overlapping wings = Not beetle
    • It has a honking big proboscis (stabbing thing they use for eating) which marks them as a true bug

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    [*] It has a honking big proboscis (stabbing thing they use for eating) which marks them as a true bug

And also for inflicting a hella painful bite on people when bothered, as I once discovered when rescuing a drowning bug from a pool.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Very cool beetle? What is its name!! Central Texas (specifically the Pedernales Valley)

vx4yvc27rzv5.jpeg

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    Spotted cucumber beetle (Diabrotica undecimpunctata). Aka southern corn rootworm. As the name implies it's an agricultural menace.

Granny Smith Ladybug was my guess

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Hey there. Found a little buddy on my deck, this morning. This is in Singapore. 9wofin2gf28u.jpg

Advent on
  • AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

4bacwfgxulei.jpg

Advent on