As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Sorry. I thought it was appropriate given the prior post was already talking about it. Should've thought it through first.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Harmony of Dissonance is such a great title though.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    SteevL wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Konami sale in Steam, the original Castlevania collection is $5. The new one obviously isn't on sale.
    I've not really gotten into the pre-SotN Castlevanias (played Rondo of Blood on the PS4 collection, but found it a bit of a slog), are any of them the metroidvania type?

Nope! Except for Castlevania 2, which is sort of a proto-Metroidvania except it also hates you.

I continue to wish for the Castlevania 2 remake that makes it a true, good Metroidvania that will never, ever happen :(

(I legit like CV2 a LOT but saying that game actively hates you is a true fact... also there are seriously only three bosses in the whole game... it's kind of a mess of a game, but one with a ton of potential)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Konami sale in Steam, the original Castlevania collection is $5. The new one obviously isn't on sale.
    I've not really gotten into the pre-SotN Castlevanias (played Rondo of Blood on the PS4 collection, but found it a bit of a slog), are any of them the metroidvania type?

Nope! Except for Castlevania 2, which is sort of a proto-Metroidvania except it also hates you.

I continue to wish for the Castlevania 2 remake that makes it a true, good Metroidvania that will never, ever happen :(

(I legit like CV2 a LOT but saying that game actively hates you is a true fact... also there are legit only three bosses in the whole game)

There are a bunch of fan remakes around that you could probably find by doing a quick search. Some have attempted to streamline the story and make it make more sense, as well as remove some of the jank.

• Options

(I legit like CV2 a LOT but saying that game actively hates you is a true fact... also there are legit only three bosses in the whole game)

There are a bunch of fan remakes around that you could probably find by doing a quick search. Some have attempted to streamline the story and make it make more sense, as well as remove some of the jank.

Yeah, I've seen like the rom hacks that fix some of that stuff, but I'm not aware of like a true remake (like, SotN quality graphics and stuff). But maybe there is something out there?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    So much would have to be changed about Castlevania 2 to make it a good game and a proper Metroidvania, that I don't think it would resemble the original at all.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Dirty wrote: »
    So much would have to be changed about Castlevania 2 to make it a good game and a proper Metroidvania, that I don't think it would resemble the original at all.

Nah, it'd be fine. Simon going around the world, visiting mansions to collect Dracula's body parts. You could definitely keep the spirit of the original and make it not jank :P Honestly all the game really needs is some polish on the maps (and like a world map you can access), a total rewrite of all the NPCs (also they wouldn't lie to you, or maybe they do but it's super obvious), and probably redoing all the mansions to be unique and have bosses and stuff. And then a few other small tweaks like some updates to the items (there are so many useless ones). Just basically Metroid: Zero Mission the thing :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I think I've gone on record in here before, but I just want to make sure that it's known that I'm also a big fan of Castlevania II. I also recognize its flaws, though, which is why I rarely recommend it to people unless I give them a heads up about its issues first. I really liked the game when it came out and appreciated how it tried something different, much like Zelda II and Super Mario Bros. 2.

I wish my idiot middle school self hadn't kept that second issue of Nintendo Power featuring Castlevania II in my backpack for weeks where it got absolutely destroyed and consequently thrown out.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I think I've gone on record in here before, but I just want to make sure that it's known that I'm also a big fan of Castlevania II. I also recognize its flaws, though, which is why I rarely recommend it to people unless I give them a heads up about its issues first. I really liked the game when it came out and appreciated how it tried something different, much like Zelda II and Super Mario Bros. 2.

I wish my idiot middle school self hadn't kept that second issue of Nintendo Power featuring Castlevania II in my backpack for weeks where it got absolutely destroyed and consequently thrown out.

Yeah, kinda like Zelda 2 it becomes a much better game if you just use a guide (NES Atlas FTW!!). That solves the game's biggest problems of NPCs that offer shit hints on what to do (or outright tell you incorrect information) and sort of a confusing map layout. If you get beyond those two issues the game is actually super fun. But that first issue in particular is definitely the biggest issue because a lot of what you have to do to advance is not intuitive at all. ("Smash your head against Deborah Cliff" is a big one IMO :P)

Warlock82 on
  • Options

Yeah, I've seen like the rom hacks that fix some of that stuff, but I'm not aware of like a true remake (like, SotN quality graphics and stuff). But maybe there is something out there?

I don't think Konami would do that. There's no market for it. And there's no way to strap pachinko into it. It would be awesome, for sure!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is it pronounced Juiced Belmont or Just Belmont?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

I don't think Konami would do that. There's no market for it. And there's no way to strap pachinko into it. It would be awesome, for sure!

Yeah, old Konami maybe, but current Konami I don't expect it to ever happen sadly :(

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hey now, there are bosses in the mansions! They have a motivation problem though.
    I mean let's say you have one of those micromanaging bosses and he's like kill everyone who enters this room. And he never let you even leave the room, not even to go to the bathroom or for your kid's birthday party.
    Can you tell me that if your boss was temporarily deceased, you wouldn't just slowly drift towards the people you are supposed to kill and say you tried your best? (These guys have some work ethic, I'd have quit by now.)

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I remember the pre-Internet era when absolutely everyone, including professional game publications, were completely baffled as to how you got the different endings made any progress in the game at all (such as having to equip specific crystals or relics to make hidden platforms appear, or to make you teleport after kneeling by a cliff for five seconds, or to get the ferryman to take you to a different destination), or why you could just walk past the bosses, or ....

There, I fixed that for you.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Will somebody tell me where the fuck this graveyard duck is?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    When I was a kid and saw this for the first time:
    rses58qioae8.png

I remember just thinking it was meant to be two sentences, bizarre as they were:
    "Get a silk bag from the graveyard.
    Duck to live longer."

SteevL on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    "Duck to live longer" does make a lot of sense, and makes me envision an end game where Dracula's Castle included an Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade-style "only the penitent man may pass" style platforming challenge.

• Options
    There is a tradition of secret invisible platforms or stairs near the end of these games.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    This was the only guide I had when I tried to make my way through Simon's Quest as a kid:
    Nintendo_Power_-_03_-_03.jpg

(That was from Nintendo Power issue #3, which is where my subscription began; I didn't own issue #2 which contained the actual guide and maps for the game.)

Edit: Link to a size that is actually legible.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    That is straining my eyes!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    That is straining my eyes!

Sorry, see here for a legible comic: http://hn.iodized.net/05.htm

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Is it pronounced Juiced Belmont or Just Belmont?

Not a J or G sound, it's a soft sound (like the J in Jean Valjean, not J as in John, but that soft French language J sound), then the double o (like in "pool") and then the st at the end like how our word Just sounds.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

I mean, I'd buy it, and Warlock would buy it, so that's two people . . . :razz:

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Juste's not a real French name. Iga said in an old interview that he made it up because it sounded French in his head.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Juste's not a real French name. Iga said in an old interview that he made it up because it sounded French in his head.

It sounds French because it is.

But it isn't a name, that is true.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Ducks inherently live longer. Everyone knows that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I mean, I'd buy it, and Warlock would buy it, so that's two people . . . :razz:

I would too!

I've checked out all the fan remasters I can find, and they all are lacking things, like polish, or are just updated graphics, or something.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Hey now, there are bosses in the mansions! They have a motivation problem though.
    I mean let's say you have one of those micromanaging bosses and he's like kill everyone who enters this room. And he never let you even leave the room, not even to go to the bathroom or for your kid's birthday party.
    Can you tell me that if your boss was temporarily deceased, you wouldn't just slowly drift towards the people you are supposed to kill and say you tried your best? (These guys have some work ethic, I'd have quit by now.)

I mean, there are two... that you can actually completely ignore :P The game literally has three bosses (the third being Dracula) which is so weird.

Edit: I wonder if some of that was space restrictions with the FDS carts. I know this game's original FDS version is notoriously worse in terms of load times especially.

Or maybe the bosses were added last minute and they only got two done :D

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    What the hell is a graveyard duck

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular

A miserable video game secret

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    I forgot about the time limit in Simon's Quest for the "good ending", which I've never gotten because I was constantly grinding for things and getting everything I could. I just cared about getting through the game when I played it.

• Options

Well, it's probably better than a milkshake duck

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I know many folks don't agree, but I always viewed the first Lords of Shadow as what a Castlevania 2 remake would look like.

I mean, it's more linear than Castlevania 2, but it has a pretty wide scope that I think they were attempting with CV2, but didn't have the means to present it. You can also backtrack a lot (though mostly not required, again, unlike CV2), but not quite the sort of free roaming that you had post SotN for the 2D games.

It's been too long since I played it, but I recall having some other dots that connected the two for me when I was way more into the game, and they're just not coming to mind. :(

I should probably play it again sometimes, I enjoyed it immensely.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    snip!

Quick, I need to flip the video to get more views!

Whelk on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Okay, so I looked it up, and graveyard duck was apparently some sort of Japanese slang that got translated literally?

So like a Shaka when the walls fell type situation.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Okay, so I looked it up, and graveyard duck was apparently some sort of Japanese slang that got translated literally?

So like a Shaka when the walls fell type situation.

Maybe, but this guy doubts that. And apparently, that's not what Japanese players of the games think is going on.

• Options
    edited September 2021

Interesting... so um... am I crazy or is this a Super Castlevania level? It super super looks like one if I'm remembering right (which is of course a thing they've done before so it wouldn't be surprising).

It's very small tho, maybe that's why it was cut?

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    looks just like SoTN to me

though the ghosts are an unused enemy as are the gragoyles

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    looks just like SoTN to me

though the ghosts are an unused enemy as are the gragoyles

I mean the area looks similar to one in Super Castlevania.. sort of like how they will usually do like, the entrance hallway and the underground water area under that in each game