As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Meanwhile, ACT has had 52 cases of Covid today, so I've gone and received my second AZ shot at six weeks :(
    Sure looking like a swell reopening in two weeks at this point

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I'm ongoingly amazed Barilaro hasn't gone down to ICAC.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2021
    So as of November, as soon as a state hits 80% vaxxed, the international border to that state opens.

WHEE.

Edit: OK so individual states can set their own target - Tas is sticking to 90%

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Not remotely convinced this is a great idea, but excited at the notion I might actually be able to return home before 2022.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    meanwhile i've been screaming 'fuck you, john key' a lot louder than i thought at would this week.

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    tynic wrote: »
    Not remotely convinced this is a great idea, but excited at the notion I might actually be able to return home before 2022.
    I've resigned myself to another Christmas abroad, but maybe someone will come and visit me early next year.

Apparently the TGA is going to broaden its list of vaccines considered suitable for whatever regulation will govern international arrivals beyond just those administered in Australia. This is highly unexpected and definitely good news for me.

It'd be a massive slap in the face for people trying to return home to be told 'oh but we don't recognise that vaccine you were given champ just go fuck off and die elsewhere.'

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    meanwhile i've been screaming 'fuck you, john key' a lot louder than i thought at would this week.

In some ways i'm actually sort of glad about the John Key stuff.

I mean, not because he's in the news - he's a cock who should be stripped off his knighthood and left on a remote mountain peak somewhere.

But because it's a very clear sign of how absolutley madly desprate national is, and this brings me great joy. (I mean, also frustration - i want a strong opposition, but i want a strong sane opposition and neither national nor act are that)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Tef wrote: »
    So don’t worry everyone, we are now in the safe hands of John “sell most of the remaining NSW koala habitat to my developer mates” Barilaro

Not guaranteed. It’s gone to a party vote and his public support is in the garbage after the FriendlyGeordies power trip.

Edit apparently the current front runner is Perrotet.

-Loki- on
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Barilaro is a National Party MP and so he isn't in the running to be Premier of NSW. Gladys will remain as Premier until the NSW Liberal party select a new leader who will then become the NSW Premier.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I like how Gladys tried to blame the ICAC for her resigning mid-pandemic, because they chose the timing.

No Gladys, you chose to be corrupt. If you didn't you wouldn't me resigning.

Potential new thread title for when the LNP and Murdoch want to pretend the last regime never happened: "Gladys? Who the fuck is Gladys?"

steam_sig.png
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Looks like Gladys is missing out on a massive payout because of the timing of the resignation.

"NSW Premiers who have served at least five years in the position can continue to enjoy state-funded entitlements, including a car, a driver, an office and staff, after they leave the position."

"Ex-Liberal Premier Nick Greiner – who stepped down nearly two decades ago – cost residents $370,000 in the 2019-2020 financial year."

"But Ms Berejiklian is likely to miss out, after serving a four-and-a-half year term since she replaced Mike Baird and became the state’s 45th premier on January 23, 2017."

You wanna talk corruption, what the fuck is this shit. No, you shouldn't be getting taxpayer funded support DECADES after you leave office, regardless of what kind of job you did.

She would have qualified before Barry O’Farrel. He’s the one that put in the 5 year requirement.

And then missed out himself due to an errant bottle of Grange.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    That exists for Prime Ministers too, except, and I’m being serious here, it’s not five years but just assuming the office.

So even while we’ve been going through PMs faster than the Romans did emperors, the get the lifetime salary (taxed) as well as three staffers, office costs and 30 return flights a year domestically. Morrison after shanking Turnbull also opened it up to international travel, but only for PMs after he and Turnbull.

Tony Abbott got a $90k raise after he got the knife, since ex-PMs get paid higher than a backbencher rate.

The Independant Parliamentarian Expenses Authority thoughtfully wades through the six pdf files that cover this stuff and puts it into tables to read, which you can find here. (I only found this after doing some wading myself.

I took the '19-20 fiscal year since it was the most recent and least affected by covid. I knew there were entitlements but was unaware that I was helping pay Malcolm Turnbull pay for his officespace to the tune of $350,000 a year, with John Howard is right behind him. Both are consistently more than double that of the other ex-PMs.
    dcmabcbpl8e4.png
    nk4ogm09rei6.png
    l4n6425fm784.png
    oruy6c7djyel.png

3. Office Facilities

Expenses for former prime ministers’ offices including:

property operating expenses including lease, power and cleaning
    office security
    property repairs and maintenance (including fixtures)
    fixed line telephone systems and services
    office furniture and equipment

4. Office Administrative Costs +

Expenses for:

office stationery and supplies
    printing, production, distribution and communications, for both printed and electronic material
    purchase of, or subscription for, printed and electronic publications and associated service/administrative fees.

I had a look at Bob Hawke's in 2017, just out of curiousity and his are more in line/less than Rudd, Gillard and Abbott.

Sadly, looking for all this also led to me running into this.

72d0hvtfnpeh.png

Good to see that his standards for success haven't changed a jot.

Kelor on
    edited October 2021
    In a Cafe with the kids this morning, and unfortunately morning TV (sunrise) is on, and they've barely mentioned WHY she had to go, just how sad she is and "omg who might replace her?"

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I'm okay with ex-PMs getting like, a small security detail and a couple of staffers, because no matter what you do in the job there will always be people trying to get at you once you're out. Fuck off with that permanent salary and free flights for life though, as if the job needs more perks.

plufim wrote: »
    In a Cafe with the kids this morning, and unfortunately morning TV (sunrise) is on, and they've barely mentioned WHY she had to go, just how sad she is and "omg who might replace her?"

Yeah, I've seen almost zero mention of what she did that caused this. And even if they did mention it, it's unfortunately one of those things where most people would react with 'so what?' because it takes more than a 2 minute news highlight to explain why it was bad.

There's even a change.org petition with petition which as of now has almost 55k votes to reinstate her, which means these people have the time to go online and find this thing and if they hadn't before, sign up to be able to vote. And did that instead of 'waste their time' doing a bit of research.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Butler wrote: »
    I'm okay with ex-PMs getting like, a small security detail and a couple of staffers, because no matter what you do in the job there will always be people trying to get at you once you're out. Fuck off with that permanent salary and free flights for life though, as if the job needs more perks.

Pretty sure the free flights was removed over like five years ago, and was a remnant of Qantas being government owned.

.. went and checked, and the free flights for ex-MPs was ended, but not ex-PMs.

discrider on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Media is reporting the NSW Libs have done some deals and Perrottet will be the new premier. It's almost impressive given how awful Gladys has been that they have someone so much worse to replace her, but I guess the Libs have a deep bench of morally reprehensible nightmares.

Perrottet is a Trump-loving, god fearing Opus Dei catholic who feels like he fell out of The Handmaid's Tale. Condolences to NSW.

-SPI- wrote: »
    Media is reporting the NSW Libs have done some deals and Perrottet will be the new premier. It's almost impressive given how awful Gladys has been that they have someone so much worse to replace her, but I guess the Libs have a deep bench of morally reprehensible nightmares.

Perrottet is a Trump-loving, god fearing Opus Dei catholic who feels like he fell out of The Handmaid's Tale. Condolences to NSW.

Fucking great. :bigfrown:

Given those positions, how long until he fucks up Gladys's already weak Covid response?

Oh for fucks sake.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Oh for fucks sake.

I can't tell if this is genuine belief in him as a leader or picking a guy they know will never be elected at the next election.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    From an idealistic point of view I support generous pensions for civil servants. The ideal is that it is an effective anti-corruption measure. Unfortunately, these guys’ greed is such that they want their cake and to eat it too

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    2nd jab got.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Tef wrote: »
    From an idealistic point of view I support generous pensions for civil servants. The ideal is that it is an effective anti-corruption measure. Unfortunately, these guys’ greed is such that they want their cake and to eat it too

Yeah, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny, because people (especially politicians) are assholes.

At the very least, it should be like alimony. You get the pension for as long as you don't take another job, especially a job in any industry that you had purview over (so for a PM, that's any job).

Not including charities or sporting boards, or anything else where you can choose to not be paid, for those who want to still be active in the community.

But you want paid employment, no pension for you, or at the very least, for the duration of that employment.

edited October 2021
    And John Barilaro is resigning.

Curious what prompted that. Did he get caught up in the ICAC?

Edit - he’s saying his lawsuit against FriendlyJordies is the reason?

-Loki- on
    Ugh jordies is going to be just insufferable. Uh, even moreso.

steam_sig.png
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

He's being sued for defamation which has highlighted the significant flaws our country has regarding free speech and defamation lawsuits. His producer was also arrested by essentially secret police on bogus stalking charges pushed forward by Barilaro, despite his insistence he had nothing to do with it.

He may be insufferable but I think he deserves to enjoy this little moment of vindication. Barilaro was abusing not only our legal system but also perverting parlimentary priveledge so that he could step on a little guy on youtube.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »

He may be insufferable but I think he deserves to enjoy this little moment of vindication. Barilaro was abusing not only our legal system but also perverting parlimentary priveledge so that he could step on a little guy on youtube.
    Well. I mean, also he appears to have utilized your police force as an explicit goon squad in that case, so I'm kind of hoping that his resignation does absolutely nothing to stop the case he was so intent on pursuing against Shanks, if only to ensure that the departments involved have some very intense scrutiny continuing to be placed upon them. It'd be nice if the case eventually results in some kind of consequences for what seem to be pretty transparent abuses of power, even if the parties involved are varying degrees of insufferable.

n57PM0C.jpg
    Eg, after denying the urghur atrocities and mocking first nations beliefs, I'm not really the biggest fan of jordies.

steam_sig.png
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Eg, after denying the urghur atrocities and mocking first nations beliefs, I'm not really the biggest fan of jordies.

I understand. I didn't know about that. I mostly watch his political commentary. I feel like he has raised many issues that needed raising, but agree that he has also been quite a bit of a shitheel.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    I wasn't aware either of just how much Barillo had abused the system, so..... oof. I hope Jordies wins.

steam_sig.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/04/gladys-berejiklian-approached-by-senior-liberals-to-run-in-warringah

You can't make this shit up.
    The outgoing New South Wales premier, Gladys Berejiklian, has been approached by senior Liberals in the state to run for the federal seat of Warringah.

Some federal MPs say Berejiklian is seriously considering the proposal to switch to federal politics, but believe she wants to wait until the investigation being undertaken by the independent commission against corruption is complete.

Supporters of Berejiklian are confident that the Icac investigation will clear her of any wrongdoing, while Berejiklian has insisted she has always acted with “integrity”.

It is understood that the prime minister, Scott Morrison, is backing the plan to run Berejiklian in Warringah, which would give the Coalition a strong chance of taking back the blue-ribbon seat, currently held by independent Zali Steggall.

....fucking what?

Like.. is she extremely popular amongst moderates and undecided voters? Because I cannot see why else they'd be so keen on her.

steam_sig.png
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    ....fucking what?

Like.. is she extremely popular amongst moderates and undecided voters? Because I cannot see why else they'd be so keen on her.

Well known face, constant media coverage and so on. It might be based more on optics than anything else.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
    Warringah is in Northern Sydney, who love her right now because she left them relatively alone while putting the boot to the neck of Western Sydney.

She might just have enough popularity there to run against Zali Steggall. They’re still pissed that Abbott lost that seat after it being a safe seat for 50 years.

....fucking what?

It sure sends a message.

Gladys - "I have to resign in disgrace, because I'm corrupt as fuck."
    FedLNP - "Now that woman will fit in perfectly with us!"

Very much so, ....fucking what?

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    To be fair Gladys' corruption is relatively pedestrian compared to Angus Taylor, Matt Canavan, Barnaby Joyce, Bridget Mackenzie, Stuart Roberts etc etc etc.

She's an amateur.

Oof, Perrottet is officially NSW premier.

steam_sig.png