As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] Slay the Spire 2 confirmed for EA 2025!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Getting Coffee Dripper up front certainly influences decisions. Necronomincon + Wallop carried me through a lot of fights as long as I remembered not to Swerve first.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh wow, they really improved the text and UI in the latest iOS update. The map and cards are so much easier to read now. All around, love the changes so far.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Wasn't sure I'd take down the Heart until Dead Branch fed me both Corruption and the power that gives you block whenever you exhaust a card (Resilience?).

• Options

This Pandora's Box almost looks like I hand-selected the results. Talk about your cakewalks.

(If you can't see the tweet, I started my run with Deva's Form, three Wallops, Wheel Kick, Simmering Fury, Third Eye, and Tranquility.)

• Options
    edited August 2021
    q4pf1ah148y8.png

Talk about a cakewalk. Having two Vaults meant most fights only last 1-2 turns at most.

The Tear Drop Relic started me in Calm, which gave me +2 Energy for going into Wrath on turn 1. Scrawl + Ink Bottle helped me draw into what I needed. Vaults allowed me to cheat out 1-2 extra turns.

Eventually I decided that I simply didn't need defensive cards, so I got rid of most of them (except Halt and Protect for insurance).

What an absolute slaughter this run turned out being.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    A challenge run last week got very silly for me. I ended up with five copies of Omniscience. As Ironclad.

Wiped the Act2 boss on turn 1.

Act 3 boss is...Time Eater. Naturally. Still wacked him Turn 3, and in the process discovered a very useful trick.

If you cast Vault as your 12th card, the Time Eaters ability goes off and buffs him. But instead of him getting a turn, Vault kicks in and you get a turn! It effectively nulls his bullshit.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Neow gave me Sneko so I felt obligated to get a heart kill.

Nothing special there, just the usual nonsense. But I wanted to share this high-water mark of awful deals:

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I was getting a really nice deck together, after swapping my relic for Philosopher's Stone at the beginning.

Well, I had Philosopher's Stone. So it was pre-ordained what my first Act 2 fight was going to be and they did like, 50 damage to me.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

First act was kind of aimless, and then I pick up Grand Finale from the boss, followed immediately by the option of Runic Pyramid. That seemed like fun and I ran with it. Turns out that was exactly as fun as it looked and this run was a blast.

• Options
    Just had a run with the Defect where my Neow boon was the Dead Branch. My very next relic was the Mummified Hand. I started picking up powers left and right and my deck got more and more busted.

Final boss was The Awakens One (of course), but I didn’t care and just overwhelmed him in a few turns.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Anyone know how to pull a save file from one android to another? I tried looking it up with no success.

Google play sync ported over my save file name and hours played, but no actual progress.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Anyone know how to pull a save file from one android to another? I tried looking it up with no success.

Google play sync ported over my save file name and hours played, but no actual progress.

they're raw text files, so you should be able to edit them the same as you edit PC files. You might need to plug your phone into a computer and browse through the file structure.

For android it should be <your phone here>\Internal shared storage\Android\data\com.humble.SlayTheSpire\files\preferences. Have to edit STSDataVagabond (Ironclad), STSDataTheSilent, STSDataDefect, and STSDataWatcher files (look up a PC save file editing guide for those).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Eh, well I fixed it by factory resetting my phone. I think I initially opened the game before gplay games was installed. Waiting for gplay to be loaded first fixed it.

Now to delete google play games so I can actually play the game.

TheStig on
  • Options
    I’ve been playing a lot on iOS and they just updated it to shrink the map icons and improve the touch controls. Now I can’t see shit on the map and the controls aren’t responsive at all. I mean, they were janky before, but I managed. Now the game is basically unplayable.

Thankfully everyone on the App Store agrees and the 1-star reviews are pouring in. Hopefully this will motivate them to undo the changes or at least test them better next time.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    hmm, I was actually considering grabbing this on my phone recently. Glad I held off for now.

Steam profile
  • Options
    The last update they did brought the game to the current PC balance patch from December, increased the text and map icons, and made everything about the game great. I was really enjoying playing StS again. Then this update borked everything.

From Reddit though, the developers have heard everyone and getting a rollback done until they figure out what went wrong (hint: you paired with Humble Games to do the cheap-ass porting).

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    xa6kp468ck72.png

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I managed to beat Ascension 19 with Defect, Watcher, and Silent on three of my last four runs.

The Ironclad run that I failed was actually going well, too. Relic swapped to Philosopher's stone, picked up an early Whirlwind and then Immolate, squeaked by Hexaghost by using Second Wind and True Grit+ to exhaust all the burns, and then got Feed and Velvet Choker.

Then the first Act 2 fight is against the birds, they all buff on the first turn when I have nothing but block cards in my hand, and Whirlwind is on the bottom of my deck so I take a crapton of damage. And the second fight is the Spheric Guardian and I *also* draw nothing but block cards on turn one. It finishes me off.

The runs I won were more fun. Runic pyramid plus Storm of Steel plus Dead Branch was powerful enough to bullshit my way to the heart, but not great once I got there.

• Options
    Looking at my win rates, they aren’t so great:

Ironclad 10-26
    Silent 12-13
    Defect 10-5
    Watcher 11-12

Ironclad seems to just not mesh with me well. With the HP restoration and high damage attack options, you’d think I’d at least break even. Some of the losses can be attributed to unlocking key cards and relics, but honestly, I think it’s just me trying to force things to work (ex. Barricade body slams).

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I've been casually getting back into this recently, but A20 is kicking my butt lol

Steam profile
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I've been casually getting back into this recently, but A20 is kicking my butt lol

I’ve been trying to clear A20 with Ironclad, and I’m now convinced it’s only going to happen if I get 100% lucky with relics and cards, specifically an exhaust deck with the Branch relic.

I’ve been trying on and off for about a month, and I’ve only got to the third act boss twice.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    A20 Ironclad has a lot of ways to win.

Easiest is to get Feed early and just stack max hp in every. single. fight.

When you end up with 200 max hp a lot of things stop mattering.

Strength decks are good, There's a lot of shennagins. generic good stuff Ironclad.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The last update they did brought the game to the current PC balance patch from December, increased the text and map icons, and made everything about the game great. I was really enjoying playing StS again. Then this update borked everything.

From Reddit though, the developers have heard everyone and getting a rollback done until they figure out what went wrong (hint: you paired with Humble Games to do the cheap-ass porting).

I actually preferred it on iOS until this update. Now it’s unplayable. Luckily a new job is eating my free time but still, come on dudes.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    The clutch piercing wail.

1kyy4li8u1m7.png

Also I didn't think I'd ever win silent a20 with a non-shiv, non-poison deck.
    (won next turn with 8x9 finisher but my screenshots didn't go)
    Bottled apotheosis+ and runic pyramid were the stars.

ti6pisfrax1e.png

TheStig on
  • Options
    I’ve had a few bad runs, so it was nice to get a Lessons Learned from Neow to start the run. There’s nothing better than looking at a 30+ card deck all covered in green text. Good thing too, because I ended up getting mostly garbage relics. LL hard carried the run.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Finally! After I got back into this recently, been grinding out A20 on The Silent to try and remember how to be good at this game. Mostly been getting wrecked, but this last game came together. Took Catalyst pretty early, then lucked into Burst. After that, just need 1-2 poison cards and to empty out the deck. Then I got really luck and rolled a Gambling Chip, which meant I could go through like... 75% of my deck on just the first turn. All you have to do is get Burst+, any poison, and Catalyst+ in your hand and you just wreck anything on turn one usually.

Then just everything else I got made it easier. Wraith Form, just in case I needed to stall on the bosses. Pyramid, so that I would never run the risk of drawing half the combo at a time. Bullet Time, to guarantee I'd have the mana even if the poison cards were expensive or whatever...

It was a good run! I still think Awakened One may have hurt me, though, since he gets rid of poison in between phases. Time Eater wasn't a problem because he just dies before he can reset the poison. So luckily I rolled into Donu and Decu and Time Eater!

Steam profile
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I've been working my way slowly up ascension levels the last week or so, I'm up to 18 on everything except Watcher (17) whom I had to work up from the start. That's what stalled me out a while ago was having a brand new character to learn, and I try to keep everybody at the same ascension (and everybody was at 16 I think).

At 17+ ascension the game becomes more luck based I feel. Obviously knowing the optimal choices increases your odds of having a winning run at high ascensions but it really feels like you need to go into your first card selection with a build idea in mind and have the game give you cards and relics that feed that build in order to be successful.

I think one time I had a Silent run where I thought it'd be a poison deck at the start but then all it would give me after that was shiv stuff, and I still managed to pull through somehow, but that kind of thing is the exception and not the rule. There have been a lot of runs where I didn't really feel like alternate decisions would have saved me as opposed to being given helpful tools.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I also had one run end when just before a rest point I got the gremlin wheel and got stabbed to death because of bad luck. That's always a super fun way for a run to end.

• Options
    I've been working my way slowly up ascension levels the last week or so, I'm up to 18 on everything except Watcher (17) whom I had to work up from the start. That's what stalled me out a while ago was having a brand new character to learn, and I try to keep everybody at the same ascension (and everybody was at 16 I think).

At 17+ ascension the game becomes more luck based I feel. Obviously knowing the optimal choices increases your odds of having a winning run at high ascensions but it really feels like you need to go into your first card selection with a build idea in mind and have the game give you cards and relics that feed that build in order to be successful.

I think one time I had a Silent run where I thought it'd be a poison deck at the start but then all it would give me after that was shiv stuff, and I still managed to pull through somehow, but that kind of thing is the exception and not the rule. There have been a lot of runs where I didn't really feel like alternate decisions would have saved me as opposed to being given helpful tools.

The important thing to recognize is that the top players can still win on A20 like, 50-70% of the time or something like that. Usually with Heart kills.

So there's always more you can be improving on your play.

Steam profile
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I also had one run end when just before a rest point I got the gremlin wheel and got stabbed to death because of bad luck. That's always a super fun way for a run to end.

Yeah, the only way around that is changing your pathing that act entirely, and seeing if you succeeded going a different way. Alternatively - drafting differently so you hopefully took less damage from Act 2 fights.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Hey, fuck you Snecko Eye. You're supposed to giveth and taketh away, not just taketh away.

3 turns in a row where all my cards cost 3? To hell with you Snecko!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Hey, fuck you Snecko Eye. You're supposed to giveth and taketh away, not just taketh away.

RNGesus giveth and taketh away.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »

RNGesus giveth and taketh away.

I know, but the expression isn't taketh away and taketh away. :) Never trusting Snecko again.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    That's why I don't take Snecko in large part. Over enough runs it balances out, but when it goes badly it feels horrible

Steam profile
  • Options
    My experience has been that when you’ve got a deck/artifacts that synergize well with Snecko, it will win you a run 70%+ of the time. But it’s not something you can just assume is going to carry you on a deck that can’t handle that randomness factor.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I think the only time I've won with Snecko (I don't take it very often) is when I had Meteor Strike.

• Options
    I figured that I had enough 2-3 costs cards in the deck to offset the potential downsides. One of those cards was an upgraded Ragnarok with Bottled Flame (guaranteed starting in my hand) and Akabeko (+8 damage on first attack) meant that I had a turn 1 "deal 14 damage 6 times" every time. That was handling all most every hallway fight, and the deck had enough other strong cards to carry through the bosses, unless my mana costs went too high in successive turns. So, I gambled on low odds and lost.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited October 2021

This was on the Daily run from last night/this morning. 50+ cards plus Aggregate, several upgraded Double Energy, and a deck full of 0s let me do this stupid Ice Cream thing.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Game probably didn't offer you a single X card did it?

• Options
    Not that I can recall.