As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or is Aria of Sorrow pretty easy? I’m enjoying the game, but none of the bosses so far have been difficult.

I am coming off of Circle of the Moon, which is one of the harder Metroidvanias, so that could be coloring my view some.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is Aria of Sorrow pretty easy? I’m enjoying the game, but none of the bosses so far have been difficult.

I am coming off of Circle of the Moon, which is one of the harder Metroidvanias, so that could be coloring my view some.

It feels like the hits are a bit harder and you're not always guaranteed to have a weapon that's reliable in terms of range and frame data-- for all its other faults, the Hunter's Whip / Vampire Killer at least gives you a consistent range at which to work. I keep finding myself inadvertently bonking into enemies because my sword takes too long to swing or doesn't have enough range. Also, since you can actually buy potions in bulk, they seem to have balanced the damage around the idea that you'll actually have potions you're at liberty to use. So ultimately it feels a little easier despite it feeling like I take more damage.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

I felt like all the portable igavanias (circle of the moon was actually a different team) other than Order of Ecclesia were pretty easy until you unlock hard mode.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

Interesting... so um... am I crazy or is this a Super Castlevania level? It super super looks like one if I'm remembering right (which is of course a thing they've done before so it wouldn't be surprising).

It's very small tho, maybe that's why it was cut?

Just to be clear, this area wasn't cut from SotN. It was added into the Saturn version. Here's the other added area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lADAa9ouVlM

Not shown in this video is the boss of the area. The door he stops at near the end leads to a teleport room.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    You can get down into one of the cut areas as Alucard when you first come into the castle by backwashing at the right second. I’ve done it once I think.

In the PlayStation version at least.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »
    You can get down into one of the cut areas as Alucard when you first come into the castle by backwashing at the right second. I’ve done it once I think.

In the PlayStation version at least.

Yeah, you can get into that hole in the PS1 version, but it leads to a save room and a dead end.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Jazz Fusion Vampire Killer was something that I didn't know I needed until now.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Man I'm really enjoying circle of the moon-though I just got to the machine tower so my Medusa head flashbacks are kicking in.

Also I didn't realize till just now laying down to sleep... This game makes you slog through like 4 hallways then just says "oh here you can have this dash." Why! Who made that design decision. Just we wanted you to walk for 5m then realized it was very slow but didn't want to make it a default ability or just let you run as normal movement.

initiatefailure on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Kinda glad that area is not in SOTN PSX, it seems really out of place to me. Both the environments and the enemies look like a different aesthetic.

KoopahTroopah on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    New Castlevania and more re-releases on the horizon:
    Konami is set to ramp up its premium game development with new instalments and remakes for its biggest franchises, including Metal Gear and Castlevania. That’s according to publishing sources who spoke to VGC anonymously, because they did not have permission to discuss their projects publicly.

Konami’s premium games output has slowed down significantly in recent years. The last new Metal Gear game was 2018’s critically panned Metal Gear Survive, while the last mainline Castlevania release was 2014’s Lord of Shadow 2.

In the past decade, the company has arguably grown a bigger reputation for its Pachinko gambling games, than for its premium PC and console releases. However, following a restructure to the company’s game development divisions earlier this year, Konami is now focused on bringing back its biggest brands to the premium games space, VGC was told.

The first of these titles will be a new Castlevania game, which sources described as a “reimagining” of the series currently in development internally at Konami in Japan, with support from local external studios.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    Pachinko is making them money hands over fist, and modern game dev is hard and expensive.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Konami is set to ramp up its premium game development with new instalments and remakes for its biggest franchises, including Metal Gear and Castlevania. That’s according to publishing sources who spoke to VGC anonymously, because they did not have permission to discuss their projects publicly.

Konami’s premium games output has slowed down significantly in recent years. The last new Metal Gear game was 2018’s critically panned Metal Gear Survive, while the last mainline Castlevania release was 2014’s Lord of Shadow 2.

In the past decade, the company has arguably grown a bigger reputation for its Pachinko gambling games, than for its premium PC and console releases. However, following a restructure to the company’s game development divisions earlier this year, Konami is now focused on bringing back its biggest brands to the premium games space, VGC was told.

The first of these titles will be a new Castlevania game, which sources described as a “reimagining” of the series currently in development internally at Konami in Japan, with support from local external studios.

Castlevania, now with giant panda bears confirmed

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

I see this as an absolute win

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

Parovania?
    https://youtu.be/R9FqJ-Zp4A0
    Akumajou Parody or Parodyjou Dracula in Japan.

homogenized on
    I noticed Konami was trending on twitter for this news... one of the first tweets I saw:

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'd say the last mainline Castlevania was Order of Ecclesia in 2008.
    Lords of Shadows is not a mainline Castlevania game to me. Like it or not its very different than the straight platforming or the metroidvanias. Very different even from the other 3d interpretations of Castlevania like Lament or Curse.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited October 2021
    I'd say the last mainline Castlevania was Order of Ecclesia in 2008.
    Lords of Shadows is not a mainline Castlevania game to me. Like it or not its very different than the straight platforming or the metroidvanias. Very different even from the other 3d interpretations of Castlevania like Lament or Curse.

What about Mirror of Fate? :P

(also Harmony of Despair :3)

Warlock82 on
    They didn't come up on the little bar at the top of the google search. Bah I thought that was exhaustive. Although I don't think I've even heard of mirror of fate and wasn't harmony of despair some multiplayer thing? Was that good?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    As someone said in the Konami thread, the company has long since shooed away all their talented employees, so best to keep expectations low.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited October 2021
    They didn't come up on the little bar at the top of the google search. Bah I thought that was exhaustive. Although I don't think I've even heard of mirror of fate and wasn't harmony of despair some multiplayer thing? Was that good?

Hehe, it's ok. Mirror of Fate was basically Lords of Shadow 2 (but before actual Lords of Shadow 2) and was done in a 2d style like traditional Castlevanias. A lot of people hate on it because it's a little different from an "IGAvania" but honestly I had fun with it. You kinda have to look passed it not being that and being more of a 2D interpretation of Lords of Shadow gameplay and it was pretty decent. Lore was ALL kinds of fucked up tho... it was released on 3DS but later ported to other stuff (at least PC, not sure what else)

And yeah, Harmony of Despair was the multiplayer one. It was actually stupidly fun. I really miss it. It's basically SotN or any of the good Castlevanias in gameplay style (but with individual maps) but you can play as a ton of different characters with different movesets and the goal is more to collect loot/equipment/souls/etc so you can run some of the harder maps and/or more efficiently collect loot :3 It was super awesome to see like, Alucard, Soma and Shanoa teaming up and using their different abilities to get through the level in different ways (there were some areas only certain characters could access so you'd get extra loot if someone on the team brought them along for example)

Warlock82 on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    As someone said in the Konami thread, the company has long since shooed away all their talented employees, so best to keep expectations low.

I'd be more than happy enough if we just get the DS collection. I sold all three of the DS carts a few years back for $65 each when I needed some money, but I've regretted it ever since.

Hedgethorn wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'd be more than happy enough if we just get the DS collection. I sold all three of the DS carts a few years back for $65 each when I needed some money, but I've regretted it ever since.

Yeah, if they farm off those projects to other developers like m2 that would make me happy. It's pretty hard for them to screw stuff like that up.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Mirror of Fate is in the Lords of Shadow continuity. It's as much a spinoff as the rest.

Harmony of Despair is indeed a multiplayer thing. You and some other players explore a level based on major areas from one of the Castlevania games, and work to reach the final boss of the area together and take it down. The neat thing is that there are no door transitions or separated loading areas. Every room of the location is in one big map that you can move about in real time. It also means enemies can move between rooms, and there are several maps where the final boss messes with the map itself (one moves around the whole map to try and attack you with puppets, and another is the size of the map itself, and breaks most of the inner rooms when he wakes up to fight you.)

As an example, there's an area based on later areas in Portrait of Ruin, including a long subway tunnel based on the 2 London-themed paintings, and the final boss is Brauner. And another that's based on Dawn of Sorrow, with Gergoth as the boss. And his mouth laser is capable of sweeping out across the *entire map* if people are outside of the boss room at the time.

And of *course* there's a downlodable stage that's just the entire Castlevania 1 castle laid out as an actual contiguous map.

You can play as a bunch of different heroes from Castlevania games. Richter, Shanoa, Alucard, JOHNATHAN, CHARLOTTE, JOHNATHAN, CHARLOTTE, Soma, Julius, Simon, and the like. And they all have mechanics based on their home games. Soma can even get a Soul from every enemy in the game, including ones that never showed up in his own games.

It's not all rainbows, though. There's an annoying amount of grinding and RNG related to gearing up characters. Learning new spells as Shanoa or Charlotte is tied to RNG, getting souls for Soma is as well, you gotta find new subweapons for the belmonts and Johnathan, and you get an item from the final boss of a stage, which might be an important weapon for the character you're playing. Or not.

I feel like the grinding aspect is more tolerable if you're playing the game on the regular, with friends. I only played it a little bit, and I don't have the best connection for it now.

I would love to see the concept return, on PC or Switch or something.

Enlong on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Harmony of Despair is in Games With Gold this month on Xbox, btw.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Reimagined Castlevania huh.

More erotic violence then?

Come on Konami, I know IGA is gone, but just look at the current landscape of the genre you helped create! It is vast and varied, and so many fantastic games to look to, to up your game. We don't need a reimagining, we need to be shown why Castlevania still matters, beyond remakes and re-releases.

Stop dipping your toes into ideas then freaking the fuck out when they're not instantly megahits. You were onto some good ideas with the PS2 3D games, then ducked out and went back to making some good, but mostly safe, DS games, and then you came out with Lords of Shadow that was divisive, sure, but also the best selling Castlevania game to date. Then bowed to backlash to LoS2 (which has since had the immediate hate die off and has generally decent reception, hell it's very positive on Steam, land of the review bombs). Then just bailed entirely.

Ya'll fucked up; sure maybe there was some diva shit going on with IGA and Kojima, but they were your front men for your flagship franchises, and were beloved by fans. They're gone now, but it doesn't mean there isn't anyone left with the talent and imagination to make something new, maybe different, but still Castlevania, that fans actually want, and that aren't just money grabs. Set your expectations realistically, budget responsibly, and take some praise and rebuilding of your brand over the need to make all the monies.

Give us a good game and a lot can be forgiven.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly, if they wanted to remake the series starting with the content of the most recent Castlevania series on Netflix, I'd at least be mildly interested.

Super Castlevania IV was just Castlevania in a new coat of paint, after all, so it's happened before. But the last reimagining of the series was the Lords of Shadow series, so I remain cautiously . . . cynical. :razz:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I think if by "reimagining" they mean ironing out the timeline, I'd be happy with that.

I do also love the idea of this time-travelling castle populated by demons and Dracula. Can we get some games where you're dealing that? Maybe something with soldiers in the year 3021 getting nommed by demons as a horror game with Castlevania lore? That's an idea I came up with in 10 seconds, it's not hard. Netflix has given you an entirely new crop of potential players, my fiance included. Figure. It. Out.

Personally I don't care if they iron out the timeline.

Honestly, if anything, I'm rather fond of the complete clusterfuck it is. It's almost its own character. :lol:

They certainly don't need to go back and try to reestablish everything again, and make it more convoluted though. I think a jump to the future is perfectly fine, because the nature of the castle itself allows for it to be almost irrelevant what the year is outside of it. However, I do think that there's a lot of people who would not be thrilled if they went Jason X on the series.

Hell, don't tell us the year. Who cares? Leave it up to our imagination. Is it Vampire Hunter D post apocalyptic? Is it slotted in between other games? Who knows!

I just want a new game, and before they announced Metroid Dread I was fairly content with both Metroid and Castlevania being series that were functionally "done", because largely, they both have enough great stuff that if they never did another one, it'd be a bummer, but it's also fine. But seeing that even Nintendo could step back and say "how can we make this beloved thing work today?" and seemingly (there's still a chance it sucks, but it sure doesn't look like it), makes me also hanker for something original, yet familiar, from Konami. Bloodstained might be the best we get, which hey, that's fine, it was great. Still, there's something about Castlevania that feels like it needs to be respected and carried on.

Unfortunately I can't shake the feeling that what we're going to see is a battle royale microtransaction FPS. :rotate:

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    What if they farm their stuff out? Get a Castlevania from WayForward, a Metal Gear from Platinum (please), Suikoden from Bamco...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Unfortunately I can't shake the feeling that what we're going to see is a battle royale microtransaction FPS. :rotate:

You gave me a flashback of that bizarre Castlevania fighting game on the Wii.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    What if they farm their stuff out? Get a Castlevania from WayForward, a Metal Gear from Platinum (please), Suikoden from Bamco...

Platinum already did a Metal Gear game

And they should definitely make another of those!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Hey, in Aria of Sorrow in the Advance Collection, in the collection game menu (not the in-game one) there's an option for some tool/toggle (I don't have it open atm, sorry) for souls. Does anyone know what this does? Does it just turn off collecting souls or something?

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Hey, in Aria of Sorrow in the Advance Collection, in the collection game menu (not the in-game one) there's an option for some tool/toggle (I don't have it open atm, sorry) for souls. Does anyone know what this does? Does it just turn off collecting souls or something?

If the gadget is on, everytime you kill an enemy there's a pop-up on the right side of the screen that indicates whether you've gotten that enemy's soul yet.

Harmony has a similar gadget that lets you know whether you've found all the special items in an area, and Circle has one that indicates what the enemy might drop.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Honestly, if anything, I'm rather fond of the complete clusterfuck it is. It's almost its own character. :lol:

They certainly don't need to go back and try to reestablish everything again, and make it more convoluted though. I think a jump to the future is perfectly fine, because the nature of the castle itself allows for it to be almost irrelevant what the year is outside of it. However, I do think that there's a lot of people who would not be thrilled if they went Jason X on the series.

Hell, don't tell us the year. Who cares? Leave it up to our imagination. Is it Vampire Hunter D post apocalyptic? Is it slotted in between other games? Who knows!

I just want a new game, and before they announced Metroid Dread I was fairly content with both Metroid and Castlevania being series that were functionally "done", because largely, they both have enough great stuff that if they never did another one, it'd be a bummer, but it's also fine. But seeing that even Nintendo could step back and say "how can we make this beloved thing work today?" and seemingly (there's still a chance it sucks, but it sure doesn't look like it), makes me also hanker for something original, yet familiar, from Konami. Bloodstained might be the best we get, which hey, that's fine, it was great. Still, there's something about Castlevania that feels like it needs to be respected and carried on.

I kinda really want a Castlevania game that kicks off a split from the original timeline, and then just goes wild. Post apocalypse world where Dracula is never defeated in Castlevania 3. A sci-fi future where Soma becomes the next Dracula and you have to kill him in, like, the year 30XX and the castle is all tech/medieval/organic structures. An alternate 1691 where Sonia Belmont instead of Simon Belmont travels to take out the resurrected Dracula. A game where Gabriel Belmont must travel to fight his childhood friend, Mathias Cronqvist, who has laid claim to the title of Lord Dracula, and partway through that alternate history jams right up against the original character of Leon Belmont's timeline and the two Belmonts must work to fix the timeline from their own ends but doing so will doom Gabriel to become the Dracula in his world (or does it?). And all of this because the Castle and existence of Dracula's very soul is like, I dunno, shown to shear through time splintering into alternate realities or some MacGuffin bullshit like that. The splintering doesn't matter so much how it happens than that it's centered on the weirdness inherent in a series based around combining every monster movie together in a mish-mash.

Like, take new takes, remix old ideas, just go freaking buckwild. Alternate history that entire series up. No changes intended to the original timeline; more of a constant "what if" being asked in the developer's meetings.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

If the gadget is on, everytime you kill an enemy there's a pop-up on the right side of the screen that indicates whether you've gotten that enemy's soul yet.

Harmony has a similar gadget that lets you know whether you've found all the special items in an area, and Circle has one that indicates what the enemy might drop.

Oh, ok, thanks, that helps. I noticed the popup things, it's actually super useful! Good to know.

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I kinda really want a Castlevania game that kicks off a split from the original timeline, and then just goes wild. Post apocalypse world where Dracula is never defeated in Castlevania 3. A sci-fi future where Soma becomes the next Dracula and you have to kill him in, like, the year 30XX and the castle is all tech/medieval/organic structures. An alternate 1691 where Sonia Belmont instead of Simon Belmont travels to take out the resurrected Dracula. A game where Gabriel Belmont must travel to fight his childhood friend, Mathias Cronqvist, who has laid claim to the title of Lord Dracula, and partway through that alternate history jams right up against the original character of Leon Belmont's timeline and the two Belmonts must work to fix the timeline from their own ends but doing so will doom Gabriel to become the Dracula in his world (or does it?). And all of this because the Castle and existence of Dracula's very soul is like, I dunno, shown to shear through time splintering into alternate realities or some MacGuffin bullshit like that. The splintering doesn't matter so much how it happens than that it's centered on the weirdness inherent in a series based around combining every monster movie together in a mish-mash.

Like, take new takes, remix old ideas, just go freaking buckwild. Alternate history that entire series up. No changes intended to the original timeline; more of a constant "what if" being asked in the developer's meetings.

See? That all sounds great. I said "iron out" but I mostly meant "fill out." There's so much shit they can do with the core conceit that they don't even need to stretch to make the idea fun.

I'd be kind of fine with them just making Castlevania: The Netflix Show: The Game.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I'd be kind of fine with them just making Castlevania: The Netflix Show: The Game.

Only if it's a Bluth-style Laserdisc game.

giantbat.jpg

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

I don’t need this to be Castlevania any more, but I had this idea that I keep tinkering with in my head because I just think it works.

Whenever the castle is banished, Dracula curses the child of Belmont to experience a terrible nightmare that draws their soul into the void. They must overcome the nightmare castle in order to wake up (and eventually continue the bloodline in time for the next summoning of the castle for real).

So you pick an era after each game in the series, make a Belmont and just go for it.

Having all three of the GBA games together so that you can play them all back to back emphasizes both how much better and how much shorter Aria is than the other two.