As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3YBFCO1NMg
    Update 5 is coming to experimental on October 26th. Also they officially confirmed

-No new production buildings
    -No tier modifications
    -No recipe changes

Little disappointing, as while I didn't expect Tier 9 or anything, I was hoping they'd expand things out horizontal instead of vertically. Ah well, at least this means I don't have to uproot anything.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I've got the bug again hard. So as is tradition, I spent last night building a bunch of new refineries now that Mark II pipes mean I can make full use of my pure oil nodes, before deciding this morning that I'm actually just going to tear down my entire existing refinery setup and rebuild it from scratch instead of frankensteining something together.

Whee!

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Ah, the circle of life efficiency. Beautiful to behold.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I seem to recall Coffee Stain saying that, due to underestimating the amount of lag it would cause, that there won't be a new tier of belts added to the game. Am I just making that up or is there a quote somewhere.

I'm flirting with the idea of ripping up my base and going with a new design (I thought of a new way to handle resource transport within a building.) but I'd want to hold off if I though mark 6 belts were coming.

I really hope they do; being able to pull 1200 resources out of a single pure node would be incredible.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I seem to recall Coffee Stain saying that, due to underestimating the amount of lag it would cause, that there won't be a new tier of belts added to the game. Am I just making that up or is there a quote somewhere.

They said that re: pipes; that mk 2 pipes are as big as they'll go.

I don't remember anything about conveyors.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Yeah, I seem to recall Jace in some video or another saying that for the time being there couldn't be any faster belts. It breaks the engine or tanks performance or something.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3YBFCO1NMg
    Update 5 is coming to experimental on October 26th. Also they officially confirmed

-No new production buildings
    -No tier modifications
    -No recipe changes

Little disappointing, as while I didn't expect Tier 9 or anything, I was hoping they'd expand things out horizontal instead of vertically. Ah well, at least this means I don't have to uproot anything.

I appreciate using the update to take care of less flashy things like adjusting vehicles and their automation.

• Options
    Oh sure, I was just hoping for something like a Halloween event or maybe a new MAM tree or just something new to play with that wasn't cosmetic, even if it was content that only lasted for a few hours. But that's just me being greedy; if this allows them to get Tier 9 in Update 6, I won't complain.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    One thing I would like to see them address is alternate recipe acquisition. The current method is...weird. You have to completely abandon the core gameplay loop to go out and find hard drives, which may or may not give you a useful recipe when you analyze them. It breaks the flow of gameplay, there's probably a more interesting way to handle it? Or at least less of "I hope this hard drive has the recipe I want?"

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    One thing I would like to see them address is alternate recipe acquisition. The current method is...weird. You have to completely abandon the core gameplay loop to go out and find hard drives, which may or may not give you a useful recipe when you analyze them. It breaks the flow of gameplay, there's probably a more interesting way to handle it? Or at least less of "I hope this hard drive has the recipe I want?"

I love the two separate loops. Its a great alternative for when I need to take a break from building the factory, or letting supplies build up. Granted I'd like more to do during the secondary loop, and maybe the super sloops and mercer spheres will play into that.

It would be nice if you found a wreck it would automatically mark your map with the location and what is required to open it, so you don't have to drop pins.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Looking for drop pods is also an excuse to find mam resources and power slugs. (And later sloops and spheres, when those eventually do something. )

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    It would be nice if you found a wreck it would automatically mark your map with the location and what is required to open it, so you don't have to drop pins.

On one hand that'd be a nice quality of life feature, but at the same time I don't think they should remove reasons to use crafted items. Maybe if you could put a beacon on a supply drop and it automatically tagged the requirements.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

On one hand that'd be a nice quality of life feature, but at the same time I don't think they should remove reasons to use crafted items. Maybe if you could put a beacon on a supply drop and it automatically tagged the requirements.

... and automatically turned off when you opened the thing and collected it.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Maybe you could have a hand-held wreck scanner that would do all that without making it automatic. Later, you can research a gizmo that combines the wreck scanner and item locator functions.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    You can already scan for crash sites but it doesn't distinguish between ones you've pulled the hard drive from or not, so its utility is a bit limited unless you range pretty far afield.

• Options
    It's a third party app, but you can upload your savegame to https://satisfactory-calculator.com/ and it can show you where all of the drop pods are and which ones you've already recovered. Bit spoilery, but I figure I made it to the end of the tech tree so I can take shortcuts now.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I got in the habit of always dropping a beacon down at every crashsite, then changing the beacon color once I claimed it so that I'd always be able to reference my map when seeing a crash in the distance

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/ecRcxbQxqYo

New teaser. Looks like they're finally doing that train update that they've talked about for ever, adding signals and collision.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Oh shit! When I first heard they were gonna add train collisions I imagined it as trains just stopping and blocking each other, but that's a full on derailment,

I hope there are also improvements to building tracks, because last time I did train tracks I ended up with tracks that looked connected, but actually weren't and had to be redone.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Well with the combination of Soft Clearances and Train Collision I think we can start speculating on how the next Lets Game It Out is going to come together

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    It is really becoming a solid model rail road. We need some different train skins.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Thankfully, because i'm the crazy person who runs all their tracks as "a to b and back again", This will absolotuely not affect me.

If Amelie of the Sea ever comes back to the game (and i hope she does), boy i'm interested to see how she redoes her crazy train system.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    IT IS DONE

h3hh2ttcb4nb.jpg

Right to left: 1800 crude oil is refined into 2400 heavy oil residue + 1200 polymer resin in 60 refineries. Polymer resin is combined with water to produce 120 rubber and 360 plastic in 22 refineries. Heavy oil residue is processed into 1600 fuel in 40 refineries, which feeds 132 fuel generators plus a bit that gets siphoned off, packaged, and sent back to my base for jetpack use.

~15 hours all told.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Now to go tackle something much less ambitious that does not involve making 276 buildings and well over 1000 foundations.

• Options
    Hoo boy, I had quite the night last night. Having beaten the Outer Wilds DLC, I now have time to go back to main project, which is waiting for my janky ass temporary hand-fed project part setup ekes out the 10,000 parts needed for the final tier. And by waiting I mean do a bunch of other projects.

First project was to take a mostly unused coal deposit (I use it to send coal to my base to handcrarft filters) and turn it into a fully maximized steel output, thanks to the 2 iron ingots and 2 coal make 1 steel recipe. I've swapped my main base over to this feed, so I'm free to use the closer node as a munitions factory. I built 780 steel ingot production using 520/780 coal and 520/1200 iron, and I'm using that to make steel pipes for later in the process, and sinking the rest. In my munitions factory, 1 constructor makes iron rods, 3 make iron plates, 13 make iron wire and 1 makes cable, which are then used to make 15 beacons a second. Second floor I have 9 assemblers making 225 compacted coal with the nearby Sulfur node, which in addition to getting me compacted coal, when used in conjunction with the fine black power recipe in six assemblers, nets me 90 black powder for a mere 67.5 sulfur and 22.5 coal (45 sulfur, 22.5 compacted coal) rather than using twice as many assemblers with 90 coal and 180 sulfur. Incredibly efficient pair of recipes, though I'm realizing I maybe should have used the compacted coal steel recipe, so I'm going to have to rip up some of this base later. Much later.

Anywho, using the pipes, the black powder, the beacons and some rubber I'm sending in from base, I'm making 12 nobelisks and 30 rifle bullets per minute in four manufacturers, which with the excess beacons, coal and compacted coal, are all shipped back to my base on a single line where they are organized with programmable splitters. The compacted coal will eventually be shipped to my oil refinery where it'll eventually be used in conjunction with an unused oil node that will be making polymer resin (to be used to make automated fabric to return to my base) and turbofuel. Fabric will eventually be combined with rubber and coal to make gas filters, and half of those will be used with aluminum casings and quickwire to automate iodine filters, meaning I never have to handcraft them again!

Sadly this might be too late as it was about this time I noticed my power grid showing obvious signs of one of my nuclear plants struggling. I figure it's a water issue, I go to take a look and it's a complete meltdown! My waste has backed up all the way up to the plants and all 30 are very close to being completely backed up. I shut a bunch down since I had excess power, but I'm short on filters so I can't explore much especially with all of the backed up waste. I noticed one of the plutonium fuel rod manufacturers isn't getting electromagnetic control rods and figure there's a shortage, but despite hauling in a bunch from my special project setup, the bin is actually full. Turns out I had forgotten to connect a belt at some point. Whoops. So that's not the problem. Eventually I discover... I am completely out of nitric acid?

A quick investigation reveals the single water extractor used to make my nitric acid was getting power from a line in my munitions plant that was, uh, no longer around. A SINGLE extractor and a SINGLE pump going offline completely tanked my entire nuclear recycling setup. Whoooooops, talk about point of failures. I go back to craft some filters after fixing the acid production, but my power grid overloads this point and JUST finishes off my battery power before I can get into the tube to go back, so I'm hoofing it. I manually remove the waste, put it into a bin, and shut off 3/5ths of my nuclear plants to give my recycling setup the time to eat that built up waste. Everything's good now.

So new impromptu project: the power tower. It's going to be a building filled 100 power storage units per floor, and a floor for every 10,000 power I'm using. I got about 3/4ths of the way through the first floor, but by this point I had been playing for 8 and a half hours and it was 6 in the morning so I went to friggen BED.

This is a hell of a game.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    I'm back in for a spell and spent the first half hour working out what I had in my wee base already and what on Earth the controls were.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I actually finished this project a while back, but forget to post about it until now.

Behold, the Heavy Modular Frame factory.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

26 HMF/minute. Currently they're all just being stored, eventually there'll be a drone port to move them to... wherever i decide to put the Fused Modular Frame factory.

The incomplete floors at the very tops of the main factory buildings (That go Iron ingots -> Steel -> Steel pipes) are for the eventual 3rd set of coal and iron ore to be fed into a factory making Rotors & Stators -> Motors , but that's yet to be done for various reasons.

Next projects: Rejigger my aluminum, plastic, and rubber plants to be Better TM. Then i'm probably tackling the nightmare that will be getting nuclear power up and running so i have the power to support a Super Computer factory. From there...

onwards to making the parts for the final tier, probably!

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Also if anyone's curious it's going

Iron ore -> Iron Ingots (Pure is just overkill here, though there's the water if i really want to tap things and redeisgn the ingot factory).

Iron Ingots + Coal -> Solid Steel Ingots.

Steel ingots get split off. The majority go to make Steel Pipes, but the rest are sent down to the bottom floor, and start making the following

Steel Ingots -> Steel Rods (Dead end - this is just stored so i have a rod supply)
    Steel Ingots + Plastic (made using the excesses of my aluminum plant and power plant, brought in by train) -> Steel Coated Plates
    Steel Ingots -> Steel Beams -> Steel Screws. (Screw production is hidden inside the Plate and Frame factories, which i'm rather proud of. also, it's practical!)

Steel Screws + Steel Coated Plates -> Bolted Iron Plates
    Steel Screws + Bolted Iron Plates -> Bolted Frames.

Meanwhile, Steel pipes split off to be combined with concrete (brought in by train from the gold coast) and become Encased Industrial Pipe.

And that finally combines with the rest of the Steel Pipes, Concrete, and Bolted Frames to make the heavy modular frames.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    Are there any similar (good) games like this on mobile? This feels like a ripe genre for filling time between other stuff.

• Options
    Dyson Sphere Project and Factorio are probably the closest ones, but I think Satisfactory is the best on the market at the moment.

• Options
    Are DSP and Factorio on mobile?

• Options
    Oh, mobile, sorry, can't read today. I don't think so.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Well. I tried to jump back in and had completely forgotten what I was doing months ago as far as construction. So I scrapped it and I building all new. This'll be fun. *eye twitch*

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    This is why I'm waiting for it to hit beta and be feature complete. Same with Dyson Sphere Program. I don't want to burn out on a half done game. I did just create a new save in DSP though because someone on Reddit had a seed where there three starting planets in their first system were all moons of the primary gas giant. Thats primo right there for jumpstarting the early part of the game.

• Options
    I will say the previous two or three times I've burned out on this game hasn't been because of running out of content; it's been running headlong into the existing content and going 'You want me to set up WHAT to make these items?"

• Options
    I will say the previous two or three times I've burned out on this game hasn't been because of running out of content; it's been running headlong into the existing content and going 'You want me to set up WHAT to make these items?"

For me its a lot of the QOL stuff. Now we can make floors and walls easier, that'll help. better ways to stay organized. My big thing is I want to see how they finish the balance past tier 6 before I build into that area. That's where I stopped last time.

• Options
    I've been watching a lot of a particular Youtubers playthrough of the older versions (I'm nearing the end of his update 3 playthrough) and it's interesting seeing how much the game has changed over the last couple of years. Being a steam player I never got a chance to see the pre-fluid era when it was life and holy god things were so much simpler then. Pre-fluid aluminum processing was so simple!

The nice thing is that your save carries through, though you do sometimes have to tear things up to make it work. I'm still on my first save I started June 2020.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I've been watching a lot of a particular Youtubers playthrough of the older versions (I'm nearing the end of his update 3 playthrough) and it's interesting seeing how much the game has changed over the last couple of years. Being a steam player I never got a chance to see the pre-fluid era when it was life and holy god things were so much simpler then. Pre-fluid aluminum processing was so simple!

The nice thing is that your save carries through, though you do sometimes have to tear things up to make it work. I'm still on my first save I started June 2020.

The trailer for update 3 was amazing for those of us who had started on Epic. The coffee stain folks really do have a good eye for that shit. I still watch it occasionally.

I mean, c'mon. Look at this shit.

https://youtu.be/UIEnhYio0VQ

webguy20 on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The best part of that reveal is how for the longest time, they swore they'd never implement pipes. Pipes were the old Bucky Stays Dead rule of the early Satisfactory builds, right up until it turned into the modern Bucky Stays Dead rule.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The best part of that reveal is how for the longest time, they swore they'd never implement pipes. Pipes were the old Bucky Stays Dead rule of the early Satisfactory builds, right up until it turned into the modern Bucky Stays Dead rule.

They were SUPER adamant about this too. "We are not factorio!".