As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Absalon wrote: »
    There's a rather convincing audio "leak" on reddit of
    GLaDOS introducing Atlas and P-Body from Portal 2 as the final fighters. Which is just left field enough to be believable, IMO.
    Puke. I would hate that and so should everyone, is my first visceral reaction if that is true.

I doubt the leak Dark Raven X mentioned is true, but I'd be down for that. I really liked that series.

What the hell would their moveset look like though?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    fuck the smash leaks, we got datamined leaks in Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl
    They announced 2 free DLC characters post launch, and they have been found in the game.
    There was a previous leak of this character's model before the game launched, but no one believed it. But now, due to the inclusion of images of their stage in the files, we know that
    5m0rrqka5kr71.png
    FACZopg.png

GARFIELD is coming

also images of another character that's way less interesting
    87po23Q.png

Fuck yes. I love both of these. Gotta get this today lol.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    They announced 2 free DLC characters post launch, and they have been found in the game.
    There was a previous leak of this character's model before the game launched, but no one believed it. But now, due to the inclusion of images of their stage in the files, we know that
    5m0rrqka5kr71.png
    FACZopg.png

GARFIELD is coming

87po23Q.png

Keep in mind the game looks VERY bare-bones -- no voices, few stage hazards, no items, no supers, etc. (Though before you say "that sounds great to me!" I don't think the few stage hazards can be turned off, and I don't think there's omega-style stages.)

Though the actual fighting looks solid and the moves seem creative and reasonably balanced.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    There's a rather convincing audio "leak" on reddit of
    GLaDOS introducing Atlas and P-Body from Portal 2 as the final fighters. Which is just left field enough to be believable, IMO.
    Puke. I would hate that and so should everyone, is my first visceral reaction if that is true.

Well it was going to be Gordon Freeman but they got 2/3 of the way done with his moveset then wandered off to focus on a moba for 13 years.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    5m0rrqka5kr71.png
    FACZopg.png

GARFIELD is coming

87po23Q.png

Keep in mind the game looks VERY bare-bones -- no voices, few stage hazards, no items, no supers, etc. (Though before you say "that sounds great to me!" I don't think the few stage hazards can be turned off, and I don't think there's omega-style stages.)

Though the actual fighting looks solid and the moves seem creative and reasonably balanced.

No voices is what's really killing it for me. Yeah they could probably hold up a sign that says "COVID" and it would be 100% totally legit. It just sucks you got this actually insane cast together and you're not doing any dang character voices.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    5m0rrqka5kr71.png
    FACZopg.png

GARFIELD is coming

87po23Q.png

There is a stage like FD, a stage like Battlefield, and one or two stages similar to Town & City.

Hungrybox reviewed the stages and predicted like 3-5 neutral stages and a similar number of counterpicks.

YL9WnCY.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    5m0rrqka5kr71.png
    FACZopg.png

GARFIELD is coming

87po23Q.png

I've been following and watching showcases and Max's reactions... I'm all about it still. It's obviously a small budget game and they did what they could with their budget, some characters look better than others but I imagine patches down the road will fix a lot of these issues or missing features because... well, deadlines.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Generic Fortnite Guy depressingly seems like the most likely choice here.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I guess it helps explain all the effort they put into Minecraft Steve if they were planning another builder character.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I've variously been surprised, delighted and confused by picks, but never disappointed. Fortnite guy would disappoint, I think.

Oh brilliant
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Selfish me really wants him to announce a third fighter pack today.

But he really should get to move on to something else now.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Yesterday's Facebook meltdown was actually just the Internet Council subjecting the whole shebang to a stress test.

5m0rrqka5kr71.png
    FACZopg.png

GARFIELD is coming

87po23Q.png

I love the idea of the Nick game. The character selection seems pretty good and the gameplay looks servicable...but that is it. The game as a whole seems bare bones and just ok-ish. No voices and no actual licensed music from the shows the characters are from. All there seems to be is music 'inspired' by the shows.

Plus the developer is the one that does the half hearted nick racers too, so that doesn't inspire confidence to me. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    First the deconfirms:
    Octoling
    The Splatoon cat (Judd)
    Doomslayer

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Ok Doom Guy is out.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    My reaction: OH COOL, that is a good pick!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well that seems like a licensing nightmare right there.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I'm gonna go with Sora. Thanks Sterica!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Although he fits really well in the game so overall it's a good pick.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm very happy with this pick.

That was a good final pick. I can't be mad.

I just cannot believe that Sakurai was able to get Disney to play ball.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Yeah, Sora isn't my preference, but he's a good fit.

camo_sig2-400.png
    I am not disappointed! Yay <3

Oh brilliant
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I'm personally disappointed in the second fighter pack in general, but this pick makes perfect sense.

Hoping for a Kingdom Hearts Switch Collection including a random assortment of titles from across the series, perhaps unlocked in reverse chronological order.

Oh brilliant
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nice to see Sora. Shame that they pretty much had to remove anything Disney related to include him.

Though maybe that's why they couldn't show his Final Smash...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's not Euden but it is an anime sword boy so I'm happy with the pending meltdown.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Hoping for a Kingdom Hearts Switch Collection including a random assortment of titles from across the series, perhaps unlocked in reverse chronological order.

They just announced this, but they are Cloud versions.

Yay! Well, the cloud part sucks, but still, that's awesome!

Oh brilliant
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    My sole disappointment is that Sora has a generic sword counter rather than using the Reflect spell, but since they did actually give him a magic attach rather than having him use Strike Raid, I can't be too unhappy with that.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Well, kinda. No Donald and Goofy in the final smash, no new music, apparently no Sora Amiibo.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Well, kinda. No Donald and Goofy in the final smash, no new music, apparently no Sora Amiibo.

Disney still owns ALL of the original Kingdom Hearts characters, so the process of licensing them is the same. The only characters SE has are the ones that are ripped straight from Final Fantasy.

Yeah, no Donald and Goofy as background boosters is very stingy on Disney's part. Then again, maybe they were like sure you can use whatever Disney elements you want... here's the price sheet. Donald: $3 million dollars to have him stand in the background and do nothing. Etc.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The amiibo might eventually come, they only just announced the previous character amiibos. I wonder if they spent 6 years trying to get Disney to play ball. It shouldn't be a surprise but still impressive they got the whole series to come to Switch.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    And suddenly, people across the globe felt a merciless voice in the back of their minds, whispering: "N o w W h a t ?"

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Generic Fortnite Guy depressingly seems like the most likely choice here.

thank you Sakurai for delivering us from the terror of Fortnite Guy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I mean, I'm glad some folks are happy with the choice, I've got no attachment to the character either way.

The only thing that bums me out is that overall his move set feels ultra generic even for a sword fighter; which is saying something.

The little pikachu zip thing he can do seems like the only thing that he brings to the class that isn't bare basic attacks, and I'm not totally sure that'll make up for seeming lack of power or versatility compared to say, Pyra/Mythra or Cloud.

I guess we will see in a couple weeks. Lots of people seemed to have wanted this, so hopefully he's more interesting or fun to play than it made it look in the demonstration.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    the reveal was totally trying to fake us out with Dark Souls imagery on purpose, wasn't it

the furtive Luigi, so easily forgotten

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Negotiating Sora with both Square and Disney had to be a nightmare for Sakurai and Nintendo.

When you look at this game as a whole, what an amazing achievement for Sakurai. I hope he gets a nice long vacation.

I won't lie, the end of the presentation kinda made me tear up a bit. What a ride this has been. :cry:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!