As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    And suddenly, people across the globe felt a merciless voice in the back of their minds, whispering: "N o w W h a t ?"

Now we finally can play the completed game.

Now Smash is officially out of early release.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Re: licensing. IIRC, there was some attempts early in development of Dissidia Final Fantasy to include Sora (or was it that they wanted to make a Kingdom Hearts fighting game?), but Disney didn't want to play ball with their characters in a fighting game like that. So I'm quite surprised that they played ball for this.

Re: Swords. That is clearly an iron pipe.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    If anything I think this shows the reputation and pull that Sakurai has built with Super Smash Bros.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Please someone take Sakurai on a vacation and make him stay on vacation.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    No Disney characters may have been an intentional choice since the game is a celebration of video game characters, and having characters outside that violated a principle of Sakurai’s.

It being ridiculously cheaper being an obvious plus, but I doubt Goofy and Donald in a final Smash was going to break the bank.

YL9WnCY.png
    Enlong wrote: »
    Re: Swords. That is clearly an iron pipe.

The keyblade has the convenient anime power of being a blunt instrument until you actually need to cut something. So it's as non-lethal as needed. Definitely not a sword most of the time!

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    No Disney characters may have been an intentional choice since the game is a celebration of video game characters, and having characters outside that violated a principle of Sakurai’s.

It being ridiculously cheaper being an obvious plus, but I doubt Goofy and Donald in a final Smash was going to break the bank.

It's more about Disney agreeing to license use of those particular characters in a franchise that it doesn't own. It was likely never about the price, and including any of the more hallowed Disney characters being a straight non-starter right from the jump.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I mean, I'm glad some folks are happy with the choice, I've got no attachment to the character either way.

The only thing that bums me out is that overall his move set feels ultra generic even for a sword fighter; which is saying something.

The little pikachu zip thing he can do seems like the only thing that he brings to the class that isn't bare basic attacks, and I'm not totally sure that'll make up for seeming lack of power or versatility compared to say, Pyra/Mythra or Cloud.

I guess we will see in a couple weeks. Lots of people seemed to have wanted this, so hopefully he's more interesting or fun to play than it made it look in the demonstration.

Heres the thing this is the most boring version of Sora.
    He doesnt get rrally any cool anime shit until 2 and Im posiitve Disney wants this version to be the version of Sora they use in media going forward

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    And suddenly, people across the globe felt a merciless voice in the back of their minds, whispering: "N o w W h a t ?"

“What do you mean? Now we can play the game!”

I mean, I'm glad some folks are happy with the choice, I've got no attachment to the character either way.

The only thing that bums me out is that overall his move set feels ultra generic even for a sword fighter; which is saying something.

The little pikachu zip thing he can do seems like the only thing that he brings to the class that isn't bare basic attacks, and I'm not totally sure that'll make up for seeming lack of power or versatility compared to say, Pyra/Mythra or Cloud.

I guess we will see in a couple weeks. Lots of people seemed to have wanted this, so hopefully he's more interesting or fun to play than it made it look in the demonstration.

He doesnt get rrally any cool anime shit until 2 and Im posiitve Disney wants this version to be the version of Sora they use in media going forward

I dunno, KH1 still had acrobatic flippy stuff in his moveset (particularly in the Final Mix version), and that shows up here.

True, he could've had stuff like Drive Form powers and morphing keyblades, but KH1 stuff still has a coolness factor to it.

So, show of hands: Who is going to play Sora only in his Timeless River costume?

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Let's pour one out for Sakurai. Not only did he develop the last two Smashes simultaneously for a decade, he made the frankly insane decision to include every single Smash fighter ever without sacrificing balance, and poured a staggering amount of fanservice into the games.

Not only that, but there's no other game developer out there who is as charmingly quirky as he is. Here's hoping he gets to present again wherever he lands.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Honestly, I like dorky KH1 Sora. Sure, he's a goof, and he looks like a goof, but that'ss part of the charm.

That said, boy, he looks like a pain to fight.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Honestly, I like dorky KH1 Sora. Sure, he's a goof, and he looks like a goof, but that'ss part of the charm.

That said, boy, he looks like a pain to fight.

Yep, and we thought MetaKnight's ability to zip around in the sky was annoying. :bigfrown:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Finished the reveal video finally cause of work. I think Sora looks great, and his stage background is really nice but after thinking about it, the normal stage itself seems lazy. Sora's moveset is appropriate for a sword character, cycle magic is cool, and his recovery is boooooonkers.

Really excited to play him.

yeah, Sora appropriately can take to the sky like whoa. His jump height alone was wild.

I like that his running animation is actually just Glide. It's appropriate to how I always move when I get Glide in those games.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So, show of hands: Who is going to play Sora only in his Timeless River costume?

I mean yeah

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

I mean yeah

evu2c345h0zu.jpg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Sora would have been cool if he like, summons Donald and Goofy and maybe even Mickey for his Final Smash. This feels like the lamest answer to the question of Smash.

Also feeling bad for my boy Walluigi

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Finished the reveal video finally cause of work. I think Sora looks great, and his stage background is really nice but after thinking about it, the normal stage itself seems lazy. Sora's moveset is appropriate for a sword character, cycle magic is cool, and his recovery is boooooonkers.

Really excited to play him.

All of the new character stages have been extremely standard, for what I'm assuming are tournament-related reasons.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I think we're all overlooking what's really important.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I bet Sora will be glad to interact with Final Fantasy characters again.
    Yeah, fine, I teared up a little when "Simple and Clean" kicked in too.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    I'm happy Scherzo di notte is on the playlist

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Oh, shit! I guess Let's Players can't play Smash Brothers Ultimate anymore or their channels will get cursed!

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    The bit with Sakurai putting up the various posters was kooky enough to get me to laugh out loud.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

They have costumes from 2, DDD, and 3 in the game too, what exactly are you going on about? Two out of the three Nintendo Kingdom Hearts games featured this version of Sora specifically. And the third Nintendo KH game is represented in the stage. They did good.

They have costumes from 2, DDD, and 3 in the game too, what exactly are you going on about? Two out of the three Nintendo Kingdom Hearts games featured this version of Sora specifically. And the third Nintendo KH game is represented in the stage. They did good.

I assume that Sora's moves are what are being talked about here. These are pretty much all moves from KH1.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

“What do you mean? Now we can play the game!”

People play Smash Bros?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I assume that Sora's moves are what are being talked about here. These are pretty much all moves from KH1.

I was more remarking on "the version of Sora used in media from here on". Which I took to mean like, visual representations on merch and such. Which... nah, they'll use all the variants to sell more merch? Like they'd stop using KH2 dual wield version to target to teens? No chance.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    For the record, I don't want my disappointment to come off as disdain for the game developers. This looks great and I bet it was a pain, but with so many interesting and creative characters over the 2 packs, Sora feels like just another sword guy, he even has the boring down B counter.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    It's a little odd for the final character, but I kinda like how not all of the DLC characters have some wild gimmicks. Byleth and Banjo were pretty much normal characters, too, and I liked them for it. Smash is a game where unique interactions happen that you've never seen before on a regular basis even when just two people are playing and both using Mario, anyway.

Anyway, I was wrong about Zagreus, but at least Hades makes an appearance in this character's games too.

What I really want to know is whether Disney allowed a Sora amiibo to be made.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Congrats to @KoopahTroopah for being the only correct guess of Sora! Expect your code some time this week.

Was honestly expecting more than one.

YL9WnCY.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Congrats to KoopahTroopah for being the only correct guess of Sora! Expect your code some time this week.

xtcf0g27621i.gif

Thank you!

KoopahTroopah on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Congrats to @KoopahTroopah for being the only correct guess of Sora! Expect your code some time this week.

As ever, my credulity got the better of me-- the Sora leak was evidently disclaimed by its author, and with the Disney involvement I considered him an extreme long-shot. Ah well! Never happier to be wrong.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i don't play much smash these days, so i didn't put my guess in, but i think Sora's the only character left that i wanted.

going to reinstall and buy some dlc soon, i suppose.