As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Home Networking] And You

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The Ethernet switch I put in our attic gets pretty hot, thanks to the room itself being warm.

I'm debating adding a finned (passive) heatsink to the top of the router but I'm not sure how useful it'll be. I'm pretty sure there's air in the housing acting like an insulator.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The Ethernet switch I put in our attic gets pretty hot, thanks to the room itself being warm.

I'm debating adding a finned (passive) heatsink to the top of the router but I'm not sure how useful it'll be. I'm pretty sure there's air in the housing acting like an insulator.

How hot? If you need something that will work at 40 C ambient that’s pretty much an industrial Ethernet switch. They can get expensive but are basically bomb proof. I’ve almost exclusively used NTron switches and never had an issue with them.

Do you have specific requirements other than a broad operating temperature range?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    I'll try to get temps on it later. It's just a PoE passthrough switch in the attic

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Wonder if anyone smarter than me can give me a hand with this.

So my old Huawei HG658c died recently - it was the VDSL modem/router provided by my ISP. Rather than wait three weeks for them to send me a new one I bought a cheap TP-Link TD-W9970 to replace it and now I can't get it set up quite how I want.

My old modem I had running in Bridge mode, which then fed into the WAN port of my (old and probably in need of replacing) Netgear DGND3700, which then did all the real work of managing all my wired and wireless connections.

My new modem connects to the internet fine - my connection is VDSL2, PPPoE with a username and password, and VLAN Id number. Works perfectly out of bridge mode which I obviously don't want as then it's routers all the way down.

When I enable bridge mode on the T-Link, the only information I need to provide is the VLAN ID. If I provide the correct VLAN ID the Netgear can auto-detect that there is a PPPoE connection on its WAN port, incorrect or no values detect DHCP , suggesting to me that the T-Link is bridging correctly.

However the Netgear, which I have provided with my PPPoE username and password, resolutely refuses to connect to the internet. I would have thought (foolishly) that if I swapped out one modem in bridge mode for another the Router should have just worked without needing any settings changed but either there's a compatibility issue or I'm missing something.

Is there anything obvious I'm doing wrong here?

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Best suggestion here is to factory reset the Netgear as well and start that up into PPPoE mode again.

Better suggestion is to keep the dsl modem in gateway mode and DMZ a port for your router of choice. Then you're not worrying about whether the PPPoE settings are right or not.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    So I picked up a router, a QNAP Qhora-301W. Set up is pretty basic: SB6180 Surfboard modem, then Cat5e to the Router. Problem I'm having is shown in an attached picture.
    t3veadkgjlyl.jpg

Every 30-60 seconds, the WAN port reports an error that it "failed to connect to the internet". But the internet is actually still fine, so far as I can tell. Tested it by live streaming a couple of things at once and not a hitch. Doesn't affect anything, other than maybe filling up the system log on the router very quickly.

Cable modem only has a setting for DHCP, which I disabled. Don't have any services running on the router. Don't have any connected devices doing any thing unusual either. I actually tested the routed with another internet connection (albiet one stuck behind another switch/router), and it doesn't throw constant errors like this.

Number One Tricky
    I know you're saying the modem is fine, but are you sure? It's one of the Intel Puma chipset modems and they're notoriously garbage at keeping connections alive.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    I know you're saying the modem is fine, but are you sure? It's one of the Intel Puma chipset modems and they're notoriously garbage at keeping connections alive.

So far as I can tell it's fine. I had a Google Wifi hooked up previously. Didn't look to see if there was any problems with it but I never noticed any drop outs.

Performed the ancient rituals of unplugging everything and plugging them in one by one but didn't help. The log of the cable modem is not showing any connection issues. And I don't notice the link/up/down lights on the modem waiver when the router reports the error.

Number One Tricky
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    edit update: I went with the Synology router because they have a reasonably priced single module mesh extension that works with it and you can buy them individually. Motorola modem, nothing fancy.

Original Post:

I had a draft full of snark about how ridiculous routers look now but honestly I just want a simple solution between $200-300 that will cover a 900sqft condo. I'm familiar with (and loved) my old Linksys WRT but I have heard mixed things about current offerings. Right now I have a Netgear with chewed off antennae. It works fine I guess, but I'm going to be replacing the modem and I think the signal could be better in the bedroom about 50ft and two walls away.

I'm also probably going to get some CAT6 dropped in to the walls and get a pair of 2 port outlets installed, so the router can go almost anywhere. I do have a 12"x12" cutout with panel cover that's about 6" deep in my closet that is the origin point of my service. It has a 110v(2) outlet and all of the current CAT5 originates there. Only one goes to the living room so the space is unused except for the coax in and a splitter with a very small communication switch feeding the living room. So my router and modem are currently in the living room with a 50ft CAT5 running along the floorboards to my PC - Which is where I'm going to be getting more wire run because the fucking cat is now eating the ethernet cable channel and it's only a matter of time until he gets through.

Ideally the modem and router would get put in the access panel and I'd cut a couple of holes and mount fans for airflow in the metal panel covering it. However, holy shit the routers and modems now are all ridiculous incongruous shapes with stupid wings and asymmetrical form factors. They may not fit!

Modem / Router recommendations welcome. Especially not mesh routers - I don't need it. I'd rather they were separate, but if there's an especially good combination I'd consider it if it fits where I want.

dispatch.o on
    a nu start wrote: »

So far as I can tell it's fine. I had a Google Wifi hooked up previously. Didn't look to see if there was any problems with it but I never noticed any drop outs.

Performed the ancient rituals of unplugging everything and plugging them in one by one but didn't help. The log of the cable modem is not showing any connection issues. And I don't notice the link/up/down lights on the modem waiver when the router reports the error.

Put a Google Wifi in between the modem and the new router, and it stops throwing errors all the time. So my guess is the QNAP router does some kinda heartbeat when it sees a public IP that my ISP doesn't like and the router gets tricked into thinking it is offline.

Tried testing with another ISP, but the ONU modem/router has such abysmal firmware that it doesn't even have the settings I need test it out. Guess I'll just suck it up for now and hope the router doesn't mind filling up with hundreds of pages of system logs.

Number One Tricky
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone have strong feelings on WiFi extenders? My new TP Link router, which looks like an orange cybernetic crab, can't quite reach the back deck so I was thinking of getting one of those little electrical plug extenders.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone have strong feelings on WiFi extenders? My new TP Link router, which looks like an orange cybernetic crab, can't quite reach the back deck so I was thinking of getting one of those little electrical plug extenders.

I hate them. They're garbage.

But if you're just trying to get it to reach your back deck and nothing else? That's probably fine.

edited July 2021
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I hate them. They're garbage.

But if you're just trying to get it to reach your back deck and nothing else? That's probably fine.

I didn't have great experiences when I used one. I relocated my router and ran some Cat5 and fixed it that way.

If you can run some cable, you can configure a cheap or old second router to act as hotspots/access points for your main router.

Mugsley on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Is there a reason to go extender vs mesh?

I'm assuming mesh = full new network while extender uses existing hardware

Basically yeah. And a mesh system creates one network, extenders make a second network inside your main one. Again, getting wifi to one problematic room of the house, they're a good cheap solution.

Basically yeah. And a mesh system creates one network, extenders make a second network inside your main one. Again, getting wifi to one problematic room of the house, they're a good cheap solution.

Huh, I've got the TP Link AX11000 from Costco works great. Never dropped signal and can rub multiple devices without a problem. It just can't quite hit the back deck if I want to stream music, so I was going to get the TP Link AX1750 to extend it into that area.

You think that'll work without much hassle?

I'm kind of stuck with where the router is.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Ordered stuff to set up my first NAS this weekend but I have a question.
    I essentially have three networks in my house because I'm not very technically competent when it comes to network stuff so the ultimate solution to my wifi not reaching throughout my house was to add a google mesh to existing system.

So I essentially have wifi from my dumb Homehub3000 from Bell which you can't seem to bridge.
    And then two more wifi networks on the Google Nest for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks.

When I setup my NAS I'd want it connected to my main modem, correct? Ie: The Homehub3000? Or does it even matter? My understanding is that the NAS should be setup on the same network as the devices I will be streaming media to?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

If it's dumb and it works, it's not dumb.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "How is that thing staying up there?"

"Screws."

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    At our new place I didn't notice until the tech guy just came to connect us today that the device i had bought that could support us getting gig internet was just a modem. I should have caught it i just assumed because my previous one of the same model line had been a combo a few years ago.

So now I need a router. And looking at routers supporting gig it doesn't seem like that much of a price jump to a mesh system and I was hoping to collect thoughts on that. the new space is pretty long so i wouldn't be surprised if a single router has some issues from being hooked up in the back so the "blanket the home" idea feels like a reasonable one.

My main pc is currently on ethernet right next to the modem but doesn't need to be necessarily wired, i just like it. the front of the space has my partner's mac, two smart tvs, game consoles, and then just like random shit we'd have on wifi like phones/laptops. and we regularly stream stuff/play games online. one thing we don't currently have set up is i kind of have been thinking of using my old PC as a plex server/big giant steam link connected to one of the TVs but that would require either a wifi card for the pc or a satellite with an ethernet port because it's not really a runnable distance of cable.

this google hub + 2 satellites option looks like it's being clearanced out a couple retailers for $150 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-wifi-mesh-router-ac1200-3-pack-white/6427176.p?skuId=6427176
    It reviews well so i'm assuming it's getting a line refresh and these are older ones?

edit: i have discovered that this IS the refresh they just lowered the price point from the og model and this is a normal sale apparently

initiatefailure on
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I got a Google puck; I like it. It does the routings. Not in a big enough place to need to mesh it, but as I understand that's pretty seamless. I have it hooked to my pihole etc as well, no problem there.

At our new place I didn't notice until the tech guy just came to connect us today that the device i had bought that could support us getting gig internet was just a modem. I should have caught it i just assumed because my previous one of the same model line had been a combo a few years ago.

So now I need a router. And looking at routers supporting gig it doesn't seem like that much of a price jump to a mesh system and I was hoping to collect thoughts on that. the new space is pretty long so i wouldn't be surprised if a single router has some issues from being hooked up in the back so the "blanket the home" idea feels like a reasonable one.

My main pc is currently on ethernet right next to the modem but doesn't need to be necessarily wired, i just like it. the front of the space has my partner's mac, two smart tvs, game consoles, and then just like random shit we'd have on wifi like phones/laptops. and we regularly stream stuff/play games online. one thing we don't currently have set up is i kind of have been thinking of using my old PC as a plex server/big giant steam link connected to one of the TVs but that would require either a wifi card for the pc or a satellite with an ethernet port because it's not really a runnable distance of cable.

this google hub + 2 satellites option looks like it's being clearanced out a couple retailers for $150 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-wifi-mesh-router-ac1200-3-pack-white/6427176.p?skuId=6427176
    It reviews well so i'm assuming it's getting a line refresh and these are older ones?

edit: i have discovered that this IS the refresh they just lowered the price point from the og model and this is a normal sale apparently

The Google WiFi system is fine for a slower connection, and even 200Mb cable is probably fine, but if you're going for Gig fiber I'd rather see something more powerful in there. TP-Link has their Deco M5 which is about the same price as the google WiFi system and performs slightly better. If you want to step it up there's the X20 for $249.99 that will get you into a nice WiFi 6 system.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I'll say it again but on the higher end side Wifi 6 the Asus XT8 mesh is pretty great.

https://dongknows.com/asus-zenwifi-ax-xt8-review/

Will run about $450 but in my back room with wireless only backhaul for the secondary mesh unit I'm still getting 400-600 Mbps with 6ms ping(ha good catch on typo Shadowfire).

Got the mesh pair when I got gigabit fiber and have been really happy with them. I've not had any issues with them in 6 months. They along with my fiber gateway restart quickly and everything is back up within like a minute after a power outage. I have excellent wireless signal and speeds throughout my 2 story 2200 sq ft house.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Incindium wrote: »
    I'll say it again but on the higher end side Wifi 6 the Asus XT8 mesh is pretty great.

https://dongknows.com/asus-zenwifi-ax-xt8-review/

Will run about $450 but in my back room with wireless only backhaul for the secondary mesh unit I'm still getting 400-600 Mbps with 6 second ping.

:lol:
    Got the mesh pair when I got gigabit fiber and have been really happy with them. I've not had any issues with them in 6 months. They along with my fiber gateway restart quickly and everything is back up within like a minute after a power outage. I have excellent wireless signal and speeds throughout my 2 story 2200 sq ft house.

They're great, just pricey. The initial post mentioned Google WiFi and liked the price. Otherwise I'd mention the Asus because it's been impressive.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Hi, Network Peoples. I need some help troubleshooting a problem.

I have a desktop PC that spent its life, up until recently, wired to a router. Due to remodeling in the office space, the PC was moved to a location a cable could not reasonably reach.

To solve this, I used my Laptop to literally bridge the gap; I bridged the ethernet and WiFi on the laptop, then plugged the PC into the laptop's ethernet port. Voila, everything's happy!

Until about a week ago, that is. I play Warframe on my PC, and it suddenly started losing server connectivity intermittently. I can still access the Internet, but it's weird and hiccup-y. It makes playing the game untenable, and internet browsing somewhat unreliable. I don't remember changing anything in the PC, so I'm a bit flummoxed.

I have an IT friend that had me try one thing or another, but he was stumped when I reported this: when I do a CMD line ping on the PC to the gateway
    ping -t 192.168.1.1

This is what I see:
    elv4kIyl.jpg

The Request Timeouts are randomly spaced, and don't seem to have a rhyme nor reason to their timing. The Laptop-Bridge-Wifi links all check out, and I'm not seeing any problems on those, so the problem has to be somewhere internal to the PC up to its LAN connection out.

If anyone here might have a lead I can follow here, I'd be eternally grateful.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Does running that test from the laptop have the same problems? If so it's the laptop's wireless. If not it's either the ethernet port of the laptop or the PC, the ethernet cable, or possibly windows having issues doing the bridging.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Yeah, that's packet loss right there. Try swapping an Ethernet cable, or as Incindium said, run the same ping on the laptop.

Another cheap option is a USB wifi dongle.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

The Google WiFi system is fine for a slower connection, and even 200Mb cable is probably fine, but if you're going for Gig fiber I'd rather see something more powerful in there. TP-Link has their Deco M5 which is about the same price as the google WiFi system and performs slightly better. If you want to step it up there's the X20 for $249.99 that will get you into a nice WiFi 6 system.

Eh. I've got gigabit cable, which realistically tops out at like 750-800, and my wireless is regularly 500. (Varying depending on which device, which cubby it's in, and so forth.) I don't think much wireless goes past there anyway at this point, so it's been fine, like I said. My Series X, which is stuffed in an entertainment center surrounded by let's just say "many devices" pulls about 350 no problem on a download.

tl;dr I feel like it's fine unless you wanted to drop $$$$ on Serious Wireless Hardware.

Edit: Hm. 1200 on wifi 6? Question is if I even own a device that does that...

dporowski on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Same ping test on the Laptop is clean, no dropped packets. And the connection from the Laptop's WiFi appears stable and clean.

(I actually started playing Warframe on the Laptop, but it has to be minimum GFX settings on the Laptop screen, versus a desktop FreeSync GPU to an 85" TV...so much less fun. 🤣)

I've tried two different LAN cables, no change.

I feel like something has to have happened on the PC side, either at the port or in the settings, but I just don't know what to look for to diagnose it.

I have considered a dongle. Anyone got any recs?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Same ping test on the Laptop is clean, no dropped packets. And the connection from the Laptop's WiFi appears stable and clean.

(I actually started playing Warframe on the Laptop, but it has to be minimum GFX settings on the Laptop screen, versus a desktop FreeSync GPU to an 85" TV...so much less fun. 🤣)

I've tried two different LAN cables, no change.

I feel like something has to have happened on the PC side, either at the port or in the settings, but I just don't know what to look for to diagnose it.

I have considered a dongle. Anyone got any recs?

I use an older version of this and have never had issues:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KHV7H1S/

steam_sig.png
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    So I think we're gonna be rearranging the house and moving my desk to an office in a different room, which means I need to find an alternative to hardwiring my desktop. I'm leaning toward converting us to a mesh network? Google Nest seems like the easy route, am I making a grave error there or would that be reasonable?

Bobble on
    Bobble wrote: »
    So I think we're gonna be rearranging the house and moving my desk to an office in a different room, which means I need to find an alternative to hardwiring my desktop. I'm leaning toward converting us to a mesh network? Google Nest seems like the easy route, am I making a grave error there or would that be reasonable?

Depends on your internet speeds, size of the house, and a bunch of other stuff. If you're on a slower connection, the Google Wifi system is fine. The Nest Mesh is better for faster connections, but it's pricey. I've been impressed with the TP-Link mesh systems so far, they're speedy and not much more expensive than the Google Wifi is.

Punching holes and running wires is always preferable, especially when you're dealing with a computer that may be gaming. But the mesh systems can bridge that gap somewhat.

Bobble wrote: »

Depends on your internet speeds, size of the house, and a bunch of other stuff. If you're on a slower connection, the Google Wifi system is fine. The Nest Mesh is better for faster connections, but it's pricey. I've been impressed with the TP-Link mesh systems so far, they're speedy and not much more expensive than the Google Wifi is.

Punching holes and running wires is always preferable, especially when you're dealing with a computer that may be gaming. But the mesh systems can bridge that gap somewhat.

I just went through this with TP Link equipment and it was really straightforward. I bought the
    TP-Link AX1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender and
    TP-Link Tri-Band 12-Stream AX11000 Wi-Fi 6 Router. You use the little Tether app and it does everything for you.

It also does that thing where it runs multiple SSIDs and just shuttles whatever device your using to the fastest option depending on where you are in the house.

I highly reccomend it as a guy who doesn't know shit about networking.

Happy to hear that. TP-Link has always made cheap-but-good product, so I'm glad to see they're improving the user experience side of things as well.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So I at one point got Pi Hole up and running, but my wife had issues with it interfering with her internet use, so I took it offline. I'd like to try and get it up and running again, preferably with the option to let my wife's cellphone opt out of the DNS filtering.

But more importantly I was trying to find if there was a relatively easy way to make it so I can turn it into a VPN/connect through it to a commercial VPN for IP address reasons from time to time. I'd want to be able to collect all the traffic from my router, or at least a couple of devices that don't have their own internal configurations that would support VPN's themselves. Is this possible?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    1- if your wife is patient, you and her can use the query logs to find items that she wants access and add them to the whitelist. It should take you guys maybe an hour once.

2- @AngelHedgie 's guide may help with VPN setup and overall PiHole setup. I think I linked it in the OP.

3- I'm still digging info for you regarding VPN but try reading through this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/7rtb85/pi_hole_with_a_vpn/

I think some of the people there are way too paranoid about what their ISP can see or log.

Also, as many guides note, it's probably more useful (and easier) to set up the VPN at your router instead of the PiHole. There's a host of info if you look for "PiHole VPN"

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I realized I can just run it through my laptop, but I'm still being region blocked for stuff (probably). Is there something I'm missing where the WiFi is still providing location data even through a VPN?

Edit: I'm now wondering if I have a different issue, I think maybe my wireless router is dieing? My wired desktop seems to be connecting to some things fine, and the Roku which is right next to the router is fine, but my laptop 10ft away is struggling to get any connection to the internet at all, although the router management page seems responsive enough. Still can't get ESPN videos to load from my address, regardless of what I'm trying to watch. I used to have a similar issue in my parents house down the street, but with YouTube instead.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Anyone have much experience with modern MOCA adapters, specifically the Actiontec (now Speedbeam????) ECB6250? They link up just fine but do not perform anywhere near their advertised rates - iperf3 only pulling 280Mbps in a nearly ideal test environment (direct connect with Cat5e cable hits 1000Mbps easy).

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys