As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dragon Quest] XI-S on Xbox, Gamepass and PC soon

1293031323335»

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    All told, with the "lets make it 'for adults'" comment and the so-edgy-it-can-cut-grass logo reveal, I'm immensely worried Horii was sold on the idea of changing it to chase after the Western market. Which is the exact opposite of what most DQ fans want.

I agree, but I can understand why it might be necessary given the direction the Japanese gaming market has been going in over the last decade. If it's a choice between making some compromises to appeal more to the console/PC market or going mobile, then the former is definitely the preferable alternative.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    My optimistic take on the concept is that the plot might just take the idea of "the world is besieged by a rising tide of monsters" more seriously. For all that everyone in each town in Dragon Quest says "gosh, the roads are full of monsters these days! Everything has been turned upside-down", the towns themselves are usually happy and stable. There's the token one major kingdom that's been smashed into the ground, but everywhere else seems just kind of fine. Even in, say, the second act of Dragon Quest XI, the towns tended to get back to full working order within one or two story events. I could totally see a perfectly Dragon Quest-y plot that had you searching for the macguffins required to drive back the darkness while the darkness is perpetually a few paces behind you devouring all your safe havens.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    All told, with the "lets make it 'for adults'" comment and the so-edgy-it-can-cut-grass logo reveal, I'm immensely worried Horii was sold on the idea of changing it to chase after the Western market. Which is the exact opposite of what most DQ fans want.

I agree, but I can understand why it might be necessary given the direction the Japanese gaming market has been going in over the last decade. If it's a choice between making some compromises to appeal more to the console/PC market or going mobile, then the former is definitely the preferable alternative.

They've already got dozens of DQ mobile games, though.

Here's a realization post that god awful SE E3 presser. Stranger of Paradise, the "soulslike" (way to jump on that bandwagon 5 years late, SE) ARPG remake of Final Fantasy 1 had, to quote someone far wittier than I, dialogue that was the "living incarnation of a 13 year old boys livejournal from the early 2000s."

And it hit me. That's what they think Western Audiences like. Or what they think we sound like in our own media.

If THAT is the mindset going into the DQ12 "for adults," god save us all. Hopefully the edgy Slimes with frowns and massive veins going through their foreheads at least make good plushies.

• ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    I WANT TO KILL THE DEMON LORD! I NEED TO. IT'S NOT A HOPE OR A DREAM! IT'S LIKE A HUNGER!

They've already got dozens of DQ mobile games, though.

They're making a bunch of spinoffs for mobile platforms, but they seem committed, at least for the time being, to keeping the mainline series on console/PC, even if doing so necessitates breaking with a few long held traditions that were previously considered sacrosanct.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    If you ask the absolute expert Tim Rogers for his totally-not-selective-and-anecdotal experience talking with current JRPG devs, this might not be purely a cynical business move. A number of them seem to be really into Game of Thrones and dissect and study Witcher 3 not only for its setting but also game design choices. You could argue that influence is clearly seen in FFXVI and might show up in the next DQ as well.

And in fairness when you look at the Western solo fantasy AAA hits from the past decade+, no they aren't all starring teenage angsty edgelords, but they are muddy, gritty, and often bloody settings. Skyrim, Diablo, Witcher, Dragon Age. As long as they don't get too caught up on protagonists smoldering with generic rage, I think we could see something new and interesting if Japanese devs can take hold of these influences and put their own unique spin on them.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Wow, that dark souls final fantasy 1 remake... I can only imagine the potential there...

Astos, you BASTARD... How dare you poison the elvish prince and steal poor Matoya’s crystal, leaving her blind, you ANIMAL! My sword thirsts for your blood, your corpse will be a monument for the damned!

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    My optimistic take on the concept is that the plot might just take the idea of "the world is besieged by a rising tide of monsters" more seriously. For all that everyone in each town in Dragon Quest says "gosh, the roads are full of monsters these days! Everything has been turned upside-down", the towns themselves are usually happy and stable. There's the token one major kingdom that's been smashed into the ground, but everywhere else seems just kind of fine. Even in, say, the second act of Dragon Quest XI, the towns tended to get back to full working order within one or two story events. I could totally see a perfectly Dragon Quest-y plot that had you searching for the macguffins required to drive back the darkness while the darkness is perpetually a few paces behind you devouring all your safe havens.

Mine is more the idea that not every bad guy you fight in the game is either working for the Big Bad, deceived/unleashed by the Big Bad to fight you, or (DQ11 spoilers)
    The legendary Big Bad that the current Big Bad stole his powers from.

In the "gritty" AAA Western RPGs mentioned above, there are always other, just as dangerous (at least as a threat to your person, if not nessisarily to the whole world) bad guys who are doing their own evil and/or selfish thing whose appearance and motives have little to no connection to the ultimate villain of the story.

Give me some slimy (but not Slime) king or merchant lord that's using the chaos to expand their own influence, not because it falls under the Big Bad's master plan, but because they're just greedy and ambitious enough to try and benefit from other people's suffering.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2021
    Decided to fire up Dragon Quest of the Stars for the first time since May or April. 5 days left on global before the shutdown.

r70f7g8x9tz5.png

Kind of a bummer, but oh well. It wasn't bad, for a mobile game. Never did hit level cap; probably could have, but, yeah.

KiTA on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Saw this thread. Thought about my childhood and turning one of my characters into a sage in DQ3. That’s all.

616610-1.png
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Decided to fire up Dragon Quest of the Stars for the first time since May or April. 5 days left on global before the shutdown.

r70f7g8x9tz5.png

Kind of a bummer, but oh well. It wasn't bad, for a mobile game. Never did hit level cap; probably could have, but, yeah.

Wow, it's shutting down? That didn't take too long. Wonder if we'll ever get a genuinely good DQ mobile game.

You could settle for the mobile ports of DQ 4,5, and 6 which are fantastic if you don’t mind touch screen movement.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    You could settle for the mobile ports of DQ 4,5, and 6 which are fantastic if you don’t mind touch screen movement.

It surprises me that they never ported those to Steam like they did the FF mobile versions.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

It surprises me that they never ported those to Steam like they did the FF mobile versions.

The FF were widescreen and played on mobile horizontally though.

The DQ games were based off the DS version and played vertically, with the top half of the screen being what would have been on the top screen of a DS and the bottom half being the bottom screen of the DS. For final fantasy they just had to basically stretch the mobile version (and they still look weird in motion unless you use a custom resolution to set it back to an integer multiple of the phone resolution).

It would require a lot of actual work to put the mobile version on PC without having giant black bar letterboxes on the side taking up half the screen.

Maybe it's just as well we don't get DQ games on Steam.

xqhuwwzqvuna.png
    9q1uv1qkcx3t.png

Ah, Square Enix. Never change.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    SE put up a Dragon Quest related survey on their website asking about your favorite games in the series and what you would like to see more in the future. https://questant.jp/q/VGLQ0P1Y?fbclid=IwAR1G_s0ty_z3vkxtR-B9_1Xh80ZS5vHQBoZk8UI1VCQZqeliI-jFsozbEWk

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Something to note: they have a question about what games you are interested in from the anniversary announcement stream a few months ago.

The DQ 10 remake is not one of the options.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Gah! "Act 2" of Dragon Quest XI is just design to annoy me I see.
    I get all the characters I'm NOT using back first making boss battles fun since they were not geared optimally, then I get one I was using who is now gimped for a bit, then the last 2 one is dead for good it seems! Game!

Now who is going to help me AoE!

"Finished" it and as a reward:
    I lose the weapon AND worse still all my characters except the Hero are de-leveled, negating like 20 hours of play. I like the concept, but the execution of the time travel is seriously lacking here.

I keep hoping they'll undo this now...or it'll end.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    "Finished" it and as a reward:
    I lose the weapon AND worse still all my characters except the Hero are de-leveled, negating like 20 hours of play. I like the concept, but the execution of the time travel is seriously lacking here.

I keep hoping they'll undo this now...or it'll end.
    I don't remember the details but yes, I'm pretty sure everyone gets powered back up in Act III somehow.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Yeah I'm pretty sure your concerns will be addressed if you keep playing.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't remember if everybody literally gets their memories back or not. But yeah, magic hoodoo happens and everybody gets their "experience" back.

...I can't remember what happens with Veronica. I think she just gets boosted to whatever level Serena was at.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited August 2021
    Oh pfft, yeah, just do the main quest and don't:
    Go off opening all the ultimate key chests as soon as you get the key, 15 seconds later the Elder watcher zaps everyone to power them all back up. And Veronica is actually 2-3 levels higher than everyone else now.

Oops.

Xeddicus on
    You have to KILL an enemy with a pep power to complete this quest? Screw you, quest designer, you can't even see exact HP much less the damage your stuff will do. And even if you could that's stupid design.

Hope the other upgrade quests aren't like this. They better drop the crystal for the new harp without some BS!

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You have to KILL an enemy with a pep power to complete this quest? Screw you, quest designer, you can't even see exact HP much less the damage your stuff will do. And even if you could that's stupid design.

Hope the other upgrade quests aren't like this. They better drop the crystal for the new harp without some BS!

If you never picked up on it, the text colour of an enemy's name is a rough indication of how much health they have left. You at least have that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    In my experience, when an enemy’s name is dark orange, pretty much any pep power that does damage will finish them off.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Yeeeeah, so... Wait until you find the quest where you have to kill TWO enemies in the same battle with a single target multi-user pep power. Do you like Defending for 30 turns in a row? Well, here you go, bucko!

Also, word to the wise, there's a quest where it goes "This monster can only be defeated by a mighty hero using the power of Mega-Kazapple" or something like that. Here's the thing. Mega-Kazapple is an actual pep power. It doesn't work to defeat the monster. It wants you to use a Zap flavor attack. Mega-Kazapple is a non-elemental physical attack.

Just two of the many things that made me say fuck it and let the world be destroyed. It really dials the bullshit up to eleven towards the end.

ztrEPtD.gif
    edited August 2021
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Yeeeeah, so... Wait until you find the quest where you have to kill TWO enemies in the same battle with a single target multi-user pep power. Do you like Defending for 30 turns in a row? Well, here you go, bucko!

Also, word to the wise, there's a quest where it goes "This monster can only be defeated by a mighty hero using the power of Mega-Kazapple" or something like that. Here's the thing. Mega-Kazapple is an actual pep power. It doesn't work to defeat the monster. It wants you to use a Zap flavor attack. Mega-Kazapple is a non-elemental physical attack.

Just two of the many things that made me say fuck it and let the world be destroyed. It really dials the bullshit up to eleven towards the end.

...you know that there's items to recharge pep, right? Plus Sylvando's got something there (can't recall how that one works).

Then again I was able to stomach the use of two three-person pep powers per fight for grinding levels at endgame (though granted that gives such insane xp...)

Polaritie on
    edited August 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »

...you know that there's items to recharge pep, right? Plus Sylvando's got something there (can't recall how that one works).

Then again I was able to stomach the use of two three-person pep powers per fight for grinding levels at endgame (though granted that gives such insane xp...)

Yeah, if you equipped the not one, but three ultra rare pep-megalixers, that you would never use into a bunch of the limited item slots before battle. If not, reload and try again.

It's stupid bullshit no matter how you slice it.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif

Yeah, if you equipped the not one, but three ultra rare pep-megalixers, that you would never use into a bunch of the limited item slots before battle. If not, reload and try again.

Uh, what? I'm not following. It's not hard to start a fight with everyone in pep, and that'll let you use a couple big combo ones.

edited August 2021

Uh, what? I'm not following. It's not hard to start a fight with everyone in pep, and that'll let you use a couple big combo ones.

No, you had to start with both people (looked it up, it's a 2-man pep) in pep in reserve. Which means you've already spent time specifically setting up for this.

Then you lower the stupid bosses's health.

Then you bring in your pepped people and kill one of them. With an attack that has a 1/8th chance to just straight up miss.

Then you have to go through and use the pep pills (or defend a billion times if you didn't have the foresight to set it all up ahead of time, subbing out people when they get pepped so you can sub them back in later).

Then you kill the other one.

Also, you can add "completely respec 1/2 characters 2/4 times at the start and end" if your current/preferred build for them doesn't include the required skills for that pep power, which one probably won't because it's a useless skill in a useless school for that character.

I repeat. It's stupid bullshit.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    It's also completely optional if I remember correctly. I'm fine with extra difficult/niche/endgame stuff being optional.

Renzo wrote: »
    It's also completely optional if I remember correctly. I'm fine with extra difficult/niche/endgame stuff being optional.

Everything is technically completely optional at that point of the game.

Optional in the sense that you have the choice between going straight to the last boss with mediocre equipment and levels, mindlessly grinding for ten hours, or doing a bunch of quests.

It's optional exactly the same way everything after Zeal in Chrono Trigger is optional. Sure, the story has stopped railroading you from one specific dungeon to the next, but you're definitely not ready for the last boss.

ztrEPtD.gif

That's most likely the one I'm talking about- The last party member and Syl's quest yeah? I don't use either in my main party and am just hoping they don't have to be used again because screw that!

But on the upside:
    Now I just rebuilt Cobblestone and discovered crafting the Metal Gooreatsword then rerolling it to +3 was only useful to do that bit, but still nice bonus for doing it. Bunch of nifty stuff for sale now.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dragon Quest composer and part owner Koichi Sugiyama has died.

Not to dance on the man's grave, but here's hoping this means the game series can have good music again. Playing 100+ hours of Dragon Quest 11 with only two dozen tracks that sounded like PSOne-era music was a borderline hate crime.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Dragon Quest composer and part owner Koichi Sugiyama has died.

Not to dance on the man's grave, but here's hoping this means the game series can have good music again. Playing 100+ hours of Dragon Quest 11 with only two dozen tracks that sounded like PSOne-era music was a borderline hate crime.

Well he was a big fan of hate crimes

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited March 8
    Monster designer and character artist Akira Toriyama passed away on March 1 from acute subdural hematoma.
    GIHZFqxagAA1J-4.jpg

Hope the next post in this thread isn't about the health of Yuji Horii.

homogenized on