As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Painting exhibition a thread

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Speaking of Slaanesh, I've just finished what is certainly the largest model I've ever painted, hopefully it is also the largest model I ever will paint, I didn't get into this mini painting lark to paint big things, stands to reason!

ft1ej93zypn3.jpg
    hcio7asqt387.jpg
    wcbnl5b1i9jn.jpg
    62gdqsl7oskf.jpg
    m2iz97vb6r70.jpg
    z3nfqsdgrsdx.jpg
    p2kpaaa3140a.jpg
    0mfkbag216pl.jpg
    jfg6p1jvg7um.jpg
    w6cw3nfyc4v1.jpg
    mbptod6kvn0x.jpg

Kind of a weird model where I like all the elements individually, but I'm not sure it totally all comes together in composite, certainly I think I prefer the other GW diorama-style kits to this one, but it's still a nice sculpt, all the new Slaanesh stuff is nice, really, even if it did take an age to paint! I do need to finish up the base with some foliage to brighten things up, and maybe flick some dust around the wheels a bit, but other than that it's finished at least.

So with these big models, are they just for display or can you actually bring them to a table and use them in a game?

They can be used in games. Have all their own rules and such.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, you can use them in game just fine, the general gimmick is it's the one main character and their retinue of weirdos, so as the model suffers damage it'll lose access to various abilities as the retinue are killed off.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    You can absolutely use that model on the tabletop.

Their best and still most fabulous example is Smaug, who is probably the biggest miniature I think I've ever seen them back.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    More Stormcast! Half way through my Dominion box.
    7AeiDQy.jpg

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Even more Stormcast. Working through some of the earlier, chunkier ones.

fKiNT26.jpg

Four more squads to go and I've got 2000 pts ready, but it's all the cavalry left.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Alright, I need some help. My apartment has ceiling heat. The upside to this is that I live on the top floor, so my downstairs neighbor unknowingly heats my apartment for me all winter, because she also has ceiling heat. The downside to this is that it means that I do not have a ceiling light in my living room, so I have to rely on lamps. This isn't a huge deal in the summertime when the whole day is bright and its bright the whole day, but we're careening into winter so my hours of sunlight are going to start getting real slim real soon.

Outside of hiring the Red Hot Chili Peppers to hang out in my living room whenever I want to paint models
    128o1a0kyd5d.gif
    what is a good lamp or lighting setup that I could buy that would either stand on, or be mounted to, a standard desk, specificayy for painting models, and preferably reasonably priced?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Alright, I need some help. My apartment has ceiling heat. The upside to this is that I live on the top floor, so my downstairs neighbor unknowingly heats my apartment for me all winter, because she also has ceiling heat. The downside to this is that it means that I do not have a ceiling light in my living room, so I have to rely on lamps. This isn't a huge deal in the summertime when the whole day is bright and its bright the whole day, but we're careening into winter so my hours of sunlight are going to start getting real slim real soon.

Outside of hiring the Red Hot Chili Peppers to hang out in my living room whenever I want to paint models
    128o1a0kyd5d.gif
    what is a good lamp or lighting setup that I could buy that would either stand on, or be mounted to, a standard desk, specificayy for painting models, and preferably reasonably priced?

I have this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DKFQBR/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=LHSHCNBFI6L2&dchild=1&keywords=amazlit+desk+lamp&qid=1633604129&sprefix=amazli,aps,247&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUVVMVjZNMVM0V1pHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjYzMDUzM0IzU0NXUkZIUFFIMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjUzNDg2VE5UNUhQVlJGQzRWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    For the price I'm pretty happy with it. There are probably better solutions in general but my dedicated painting space is pretty limited and this one folds up pretty nicely and doesn't take up much space.

Depending on your set up you could of course build yourself a light arch with some LED-strips. There a plenty of DIY instructions for that, I think. Generally just make sure that the light you use has a high Ra value (>90 probably)

honovere on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    I finished Yndrasta last night. Now am taking a small painting break.
    3fMIJWZ.jpg

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Been getting into a very indie (as in one man band) game called Bot War, because well

C4sjWwU.jpg

As well as uh, legally distinct transforming robots there’s a whole range of 80’s cartoon inspired models for it and I own..uh nearly everything. Got a lot to paint up.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Me: I definitely don't need more paints.

Also me:
    anm4w742xnu9.jpg

One of my local LGS's had a small in house raffle for charity with a couple of secret prizes in addition to the usual board games and hobby stuff. I grabbed a ticket cuz I like the owner and it had proceeds going to charity.

I guess for one of the top secret grand prizes someone, either a vendor or a person, donated some Pro Acryl paints that had arrived with damaged boxes (all the paint inside is perfectly intact).

Turns out I won. :biggrin: I'm so stoked right now. I've been kinda stuck with a lot of painters block trying to find the right colors for things and getting frustrated that I either can't blend what I want or that GW doesn't make the exact color I have in my head, so I'm going to pack up 90% of my GW paint, start using these, and just learn to work with what I have rather than scrounging the internet for random paints that might be the right color for what I need.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Another buggy joins the painted side of my Speedwaaagh. Four down... Five to go.

4v7bnbhwohq6.jpg
    9st8khmxz3tb.jpg
    crmv04mgwsiy.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

I have been eyeing these for a while. They seem to be held in quite high regard. Let us know how you find them :D

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    So Army Painter's been hyping all week what is obviously their own line of Contrast paints, and they finally posted something meaningful enough to say Yes, These Are Contrast Paints.

Speed Paint. I, uh...sure. If they manage to come in at not $GW prices, I might be interested. Then again, I've got these inks, mediums, and flow improvers just sitting here...

Judge for yourselves, fellow paintspeople.

https://youtu.be/VRem63CbLms

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Getting back into battletech with some 3d printed minis.
    Spooky skull face Atlas just in time for Halloween!
    BT_atlas.jpg

website_header.jpg
    J wrote: »

I have been eyeing these for a while. They seem to be held in quite high regard. Let us know how you find them :D

So far they're easily the nicest paints I own.

Overall they're a little inconsistent in viscosity, with lighter colors being a little thinner than the darker ones. Overall they're much thinner than a GW paint straight from the pot. They might be the highest pigment paint I've used, on par or maybe a little better than scale75. They're also much easier to thin than scale75 paints. The metallics are fantastic. I'd put them on par with my scale75 metallics. You can thin them well past the point of where you'd typically brush paint and they're still super opaque.

All the colors are incredibly vibrant and although they don't have the color range that GW or scale75 has, they blend extremely well on the palette or in an airbrush. All the colors I've tried so far give an extremely even coat through my airbrush (just on a bunch of random tester models I keep around). They're also the matte-est finish I've ever seen, even more than scale 75. While they don't have a huge color range, the colors they have available are all the basics you'd expect plus some really interesting tones like "warm grey" and "black brown" and "burnt orange" or "burnt red". The metallics are basically all the ones you'd probably ever need and they also blend really well with each other.

They don't make washes and I haven't tried making my own, because do most of my washes with oils anyway.

Checking prices online, they're a little more per bottle than vallejo or GW, but they're 22ml bottles with proper screw down dropper caps and they come with a mixing ball already inside.

These are amazing. I'm going to start an actual mini with them today (Kustom Boostablasta) and I expect it'll turn out really well.

10/10, would recommend. Scale75 quality but a little easier to use/thin/etc. The only set I didn't receive is the transparent paints, which I'll be probably grabbing on payday.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited October 2021
    WIP of the Kustom Boosta Blasta. I actually played a match with my speedwaagh yesterday and this tussle truffle is getting it's paintjob next because it's a Boss vs my buddies necrons. After being sent forwards as a screen for more important buggies midway through the game it slapped a bunch of warriors in shooting, killed a skorpekh destroyer on the charge, survived when my buddy whiffed his attack rolls. Then when a command barge came in to get the job done the Kustom exploded, careened (1CP) six inches away from my stuff and dumped eight mortal wounds into enemy units before being removed from the board.

Absolute Boss, so it doesn't just get a quick and dirty paint job. It gets a Kustom Job and a name, Goldtoof. The driver will have a gold gob to match the gold teef built into the grill.

More importantly, and the reason for this post before I began rambling.... the ivory colored basecoat on the wrappings on the frame pillars is a single coat of Pro Acryl "pale yellow". Just to demonstrate the opacity of some of their lighter colors. It's a very Screaming Skull kind of color.

Other new colors for reference. The golds are Rich Gold, the red is basecoated burnt red and highlighted (airbrush) Bold Pyrrole red. The tires are Blue Black. The orks skin was already basecoated a really dark green from ages ago... I hit them with a thin zenithal of white ink then a layer of golden yellow.

Really impressed with this color line. Like immediately my favorite paints on my desk.

ga8oiswzfzit.jpg
    ap24dldzf7dx.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I'm trying to do some commission painting and someone asked about some boxart Lumineths. Cranked these out. I kinda like them.

unknown.png
    unknown.png

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good laser pointer for table top?

I’m thinking something small so I can position it next to a model to confirm line of sight.

But I also want something that can project a straight line so I can confirm cover/obscuring lines etc. from overhead.

I swear the Penny Arcade guys used one in their twitch video of them playing Kill Team 2018 a couple months back(Thousand Sons vs Astartes)

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    you mean something like this?
    https://odicforce.com/Portable-Red-Laser-Line/Dot/Cross-Projector-650nm-120mW-with-Battery-and-Charger
    disclaimer: that's just from googling. no idea how safe that is.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Army Painter makes one, or you can use any “laser level” from your hardware store. As long as it’s Class 1 you should be safe enough (they will only blind you if you stare at them on purpose¹) - don’t get an anonymous junker off eBay; they tend to be misclassified (on purpose) to avoid customs rules and may well have missing filters that make them unsafe in unexpected ways.

¹ contrast class 4 which means “you are already blind; you should be worried about the radiation burns”

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good laser pointer for table top?

I've got this one: https://www.miniaturemarket.com/amytl5046.html

It's awesome.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Ive always spray primed before base coating but Ive heard you can just apply base paints directly to plastic. Anyone have experience here?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Ive always spray primed before base coating but Ive heard you can just apply base paints directly to plastic. Anyone have experience here?

I've never done it because spray priming is way easier/faster but you can absolutely do it.

Warhammer tv did a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMPcujZp-j4

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Lady Olynder is not a model friendly to assembly and then priming

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    You can try painting directly onto properly cleaned plastic, but you run the risk of the paint rubbing off from any significant handling. Primer bonds to the plastic chemically, allowing the paint to have a better surface to adhere to that resists abrasion.

I've tried no-prime on a lark, and never liked the results.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Before I started doing zenithal I used to spray base in whatever my main color was (using army painter sprays).

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    kt03ny8f5td6.jpeg

I have put some paint on some Models

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    There are brush primers you can use which are distinct from just brushing on a base layer. Vallejo sells various colours of them

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    DocSamson wrote: »
    Even more Stormcast. Working through some of the earlier, chunkier ones.

fKiNT26.jpg

Four more squads to go and I've got 2000 pts ready, but it's all the cavalry left.

I would never choose lilac as a color for a model, but I love this and want to replicate it if I ever start AoS

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Knocked out a couple of quick and dirty (like literally via streaking grime) black templar test models. One in a bluish black and the other in a grey-black.

Not sure I like either.... need more testing. I thinkI might actually want to paint something clean for a change, rather than the typical grimy thing I do.

bd3t5z7lre1g.jpg
    n066a1mfudoh.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    @Khraul

You might try priming black then hitting it with a testors glossy black rattle can. Looks like blackened glass when it dries. Youd need to sub assemble the shoulders though.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited October 2021
    Duncan released a Black Templar painting video.

https://youtu.be/hLRSCV6N1IU

Stragint on

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Though I highly doubt many people can get the Robot's paint and part of me is upset he does a lot of stuff behind a paywall
    Have a shorter video how to paint black templars
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7wQxEf16i4

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Painting some more 3d printed mechs! A Crab and a Hunchback.
    BT_crab.jpg

BT_hunchback.jpg

website_header.jpg
    I know Duncan is an amazing painter

... but corax white?!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I know Duncan is an amazing painter

... but corax white?!

White acrylics are some of the hardest colors to make let alone make look white

True, but my pro acryl white is great. My Scale75 one also... and my P3 white.

Corax white is not a great paint.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    The coolest thing about Age of Sigmar is all the weird crazy mounts everybody rides.

The worst thing about Sigmar is painting mounted models. Takes forever!

6CiJa9o.jpg

Lady Olynder looks great but wholly shit is this a troublesome model

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Though I highly doubt many people can get the Robot's paint and part of me is upset he does a lot of stuff behind a paywall
    Have a shorter video how to paint black templars
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7wQxEf16i4

And follows up with a redemptor dread but does talk about why when you start off a metal primer why you need to do another coat when base coating
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s240cGb1D8

This discussion has been closed.