As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Playing the Order 1886, I love this game and the world. I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea but sometimes I’m so in the mood for short cinematic roller coaster style experiences like this. Explosions look perfect, and I love the smoke effects, and melee finishers. Unfortunately the tech just wasn’t there and they clearly were struggling up against it, the blur, grain, letterboxing and frame rate make it very difficult to play

I hope we get games like this on this gen cos I feel like they could finally shine with the technical headroom available

Prohass on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It wasn’t the technical side that let that take down, but rather the design and focus. It felt like a short tech demo for a full price at the time. It’s probably great for like $10 now though.

Did it sell well at the time?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    The Order: 1886 was good fun (except for one level).

But I can understand why someone who dropped $60 for it at launch would have been mad.

cckerberos.png
    edited October 2021
    I can as well but I’ve played games with like 40 hours of content and felt more ripped off than if I’d bought this at launch. Altho the fact that I paid much less may be why I’m enjoying it now. Like sometimes I’m ok with a shorter game that packs a punch than something that spreads thinly over a dragged out run time

Prohass on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It wasn’t the technical side that let that take down, but rather the design and focus. It felt like a short tech demo for a full price at the time. It’s probably great for like $10 now though.

Considering it ends on a big cliffhanger yet there's been zero word on a sequel? Safe bet is "No it did not".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Considering it ends on a big cliffhanger yet there's been zero word on a sequel? Safe bet is "No it did not".

That's a large part of the issue. They sold a full price game that didn't satisfy MOST players in length, yet sort of arrogantly assumed it was a franchise because they wanted it to be one. Hopefully devs will stop doing an unsatisfying intro act to the game they want to make and just do games so good, people actually WANT the sequel.

edited October 2021
    I would kill for a new game on this current gen in its style. The explosions and smoke effects are so good and some of the guns are really interesting and feel great to use. The gore is also unique, like explosions don’t just rip limbs off, they strip off skin to the bone, it’s all very horrific and my jam. I think if they’d leaned a little more into a kind of league of extraordinary gentlemen vibe it would’ve been better, it was a little too self serious for the setting

I’d just love more of these kinds of technical showpieces for this gen

Edit

Just finished it, what an awesome story with a really good ending. Such a bummer there’ll never be a sequel cos it didn’t do well, I really enjoyed it and would’ve loved to see more of that world on better systems capable of handling the graphics without limitations

If they’d added a bit more humour and lightness around the middle it would’ve been even better, but as it stands I really enjoyed that

Prohass on
    5/5 for killing bosses in Returnal first try so far. Was surprised one area had no boss, then realised the area itself was the boss.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    5/5 for killing bosses in Returnal first try so far. Was surprised one area had no boss, then realised the area itself was the boss.

Holy shit well done!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Thoughts on organ boss? He's my favorite.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Prohass wrote: »
    I can as well but I’ve played games with like 40 hours of content and felt more ripped off than if I’d bought this at launch. Altho the fact that I paid much less may be why I’m enjoying it now. Like sometimes I’m ok with a shorter game that packs a punch than something that spreads thinly over a dragged out run time

It's not like this is an either/or situation. There are plenty of longer games that don't feel overly padded and drawn out. Our only options aren't "short and sweet" and "long and boring".

I know people have a tendency to harp on the length of The Order, as if that was the singular reason for its failure, but I think there's more to it than that. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune wasn't very much longer (only 1 hour longer according to howlongtobeat). The first Uncharted game was also a short, cinematic, third-person shooter with no multiplayer modes, just like The Order, and yet it became a big, highly acclaimed franchise.

Dirty on
    I really enjoyed The Order but it did feel more like an interactive movie than a game. Which I didn't personally hate but I see why it didn't vibe with everyone.

Dirty wrote: »

It's not like this is an either/or situation. There are plenty of longer games that don't feel overly padded and drawn out. Our only options aren't "short and sweet" and "long and boring".

I know people have a tendency to harp on the length of The Order, as if that was the singular reason for its failure, but I think there's more to it than that. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune wasn't very much longer (only 1 hour longer according to howlongtobeat). The first Uncharted game was also a short, cinematic, third-person shooter with no multiplayer modes, just like The Order, and yet it became a big, highly acclaimed franchise.

Uncharted didn't presume to be a franchise from the first title. No cliffhangers, no saving cool bits for a future game, they put it all out there. In fact, ALL of the Uncharteds do this. A good lesson for devs smaller than Naughty Dog to learn. I'm actually trying to think of a game ending cliffhanger that wasn't either wishful thinking (Beyond Good & Evil) or a sign of horribly troubled development and that's the best they could do (Halo 2).

The game has a lot of issues that, in isolation, wouldn't necessarily result in failure, but combined together added up to disaster.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Game difficulty in general is just a very interesting and kinda weird thing sometimes. It varies SO MUCH from person to person.

Like a lot of people online will look at "normal" difficulties like they are stupid easy.... but then you'll find plenty of people that either struggle there or find it just right that you realize maybe that difficulty is ideal for the standard?

And like also just certain things can be really hard for people. Like I generally consider myself pretty bad at games for someone that plays games as much as I do. Like I can't do things like parry with any sort of regularity enough to make it worthwhile. I legit cannot consistently do any special attacks ina fighting game. I have played smash bros for years and I cannot do that shit where people jump off the side and fight in the air and come back? That's a suicide mission for me. I thought that was some high end stuff in the past but I guess that's just like the norm for anyone playing at all competitively? Fuck if I know.

But I play through the souls games just fine, beat returnal with like 11 deaths as my first roguelike, beat Sekiro without parries... And I've got friends who do everything I listed above no problem but say those games are all too hard for them.

There's like so many different ways of playing games that work super well with certain games/genres but just make others not click with people at all. Like I have watched plenty of people who play a video game professionally at the highest levels just absolutely play so many times worse than me at all sorts of single player games. It's wild some times.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

Uncharted didn't presume to be a franchise from the first title. No cliffhangers, no saving cool bits for a future game, they put it all out there. In fact, ALL of the Uncharteds do this. A good lesson for devs smaller than Naughty Dog to learn. I'm actually trying to think of a game ending cliffhanger that wasn't either wishful thinking (Beyond Good & Evil) or a sign of horribly troubled development and that's the best they could do (Halo 2).
    I don't know about that. Naughty Dog had a history of games that already had sequels, and Uncharted is the kind of game that once you have one done, you have established the tools to make more games like it so I would not be surprised if they expected to build on the game from the start unless it completely flopped for some reason.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote: »

I don't know about that. Naughty Dog had a history of games that already had sequels, and Uncharted is the kind of game that once you have one done, you have established the tools to make more games like it so I would not be surprised if they expected to build on the game from the start unless it completely flopped for some reason.

Whether they expected it to get a sequel or not was not my point, it's that Uncharted completely wraps up the story it presented. 2 then also does the same. Vs The Order, which heavily hints at lore that won't be in this game and then ends on a cliffhanger after a story so short, the mainstream reaction was "That's it?"

Ready At Dawn should have known better, neither of their God of War games did that stuff.

Yeah, there is a huge difference between planning on making a franchise and banking on a sequel to finish your incomplete narrative.

edited October 2021
    urahonky wrote: »

Holy shit well done!

Yeah it was a solid evening, Going to need to do it again from scratch though.

Protip: Do not leave a game on suspend only to realise the PS5 has downloaded an update and is going to install it. Lost all progress on an utterly amazing run, which had the hollow rifle with portal (this gun is so broken). Now I have to finish all of it again, unlock portal and then just slap everyone with portals again.

Because the update corrupted the save data while it was at it. Honestly, I would be more mad but now I know I can trivially get all my progress back the moment the game RNGs me up a Hollow Rifle with portal.

I have video of how hilariously broken this gun is.

Thoughts on organ boss? He's my favorite.

No cowbell means I shoot him twice as hard.

Portal gun being broken (third and fourth boss spoilers)

Also this leaves Returnal in the curious position where the only boss I have died to was the first one on some throwaway attempts. Now the games “fuck you” rooms….

Aegeri on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    God, just watching vods of Returnal make me want to run it again. Portal gun is definitely broke though, I agree.

edited October 2021
    I don’t understand why it exists. You basically win the game if you get it with shredding or wave in particular. Just knowing it exists makes me fairly content to just start again. Once I have unlocked it i won’t take long to get back where I was progress wise.

Edit: THE CLOUD HAS SAVED ME. ALL HAIL THE CLOUD.

Edit2: And yes, I can play the game without it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHoYU1KUMY

Aegeri on
    Yeah those types of upgrades are exactly why I prefer Act 2 to Act 1 and feel like it's easier for the final 3 biomes.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I would definitely buy returnal right now if metroid dread wasn't out tomorrow. though I just saw MGS5 is $5 and i missed that one on ps4 so i can spend the day doing that

I wish they would do a repackage of god of war 1 and 2 and rhe psp ones for modern consoles. I never got to play them and they’re actually quite expensive to get now, not to mention the psp ones being locked on, psp

edited October 2021
    I wish they would do a repackage of god of war 1 and 2 and rhe psp ones for modern consoles. I never got to play them and they’re actually quite expensive to get now, not to mention the psp ones being locked on, psp

They did a remaster of the PSP games for the Playstation 3 actually.

Edit: Returnal vengeance was swift. It's like the game knew nobody was at fault for update gate and just GAVE me a level 18 serrated, retargeting, portal and wave Hollowseeker in the second room off the malignant I dispatched (for those unfamiliar with the game, this is basically the game going "You win, I can't be bothered this run" the gun).

Truly after that first crash, Returnal and I are having a roguelike love fest. All is forgiven baby. The only problem with the Portal is it really fucks up my dodging because I keep thinking it's from an enemy/boss and trying to actively avoid it...

Aegeri on
    Oh interesting, I wonder if the psp remasters is playable on the ps5? I’ll have to look around for it, I’m assuming it’s only available as a physical release now?

I assume so yes. It was ported a very long time ago.

Oh interesting, I wonder if the psp remasters is playable on the ps5? I’ll have to look around for it, I’m assuming it’s only available as a physical release now?

Most Ps3 games are stuck there unless they did something digital to Ps4. So probably not.

Dang. I’ll probably just watch a recap or read about each games stories then

It is hilarious playing god of war 3 without knowing what exactly the gods did to piss him off. It’s like, man this Kratos guy is a dick!

edited October 2021
    Don't worry, even when you know what they did to him he's still a complete dick. Nothing changes that part.

Edit: This is a man who uses a priestess, who is unarmed and unable to threaten him, as a means of jamming some gears to an elevator or device (I forget exactly which game this happens in).

Aegeri on
    Yeah, I appreciate them being very selective about what made it into the backstory for God of War 4, Ie just the broad brush strokes. It is hilarious him being such a jerk tho, I very much feel like being a jerk in a video game today

I also love that you can do grapple kills even when climbing and such, I want that in modern games, so many games the climbing sections feel cut off from the danger of the world

Yeah I really wasn't into Kratos prior to the PS4 God of War. But after that one: inject it into my veins.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I like how Kratos's past comes back to haunt him.

edited October 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I like how Kratos's past comes back to haunt him.

Yeah like I’m glad they use aspects of it, but I’m also glad it’s not exactly 1:1, like even with age and remorse the kratos character of 4 is very different from the previous games. They use aspects of the previous games stories, ie revenge and rage getting out of control, without getting into the very awkward and very silly specifics of past kratos personality. Like the guy in 4 is a different, more complete character, just built out of the best ideas in the original while discarding the stuff that doesn’t really work if you’re wanting to create a sympathetic character

Like the kratos of 4 might have once been a guy who ignored the plight of others out of cynicism, or through his rage accidentally caused harm, but he would never have been the kratos of the previous games who intentionally hurt innocents and bystanders when there were other options available. Basically they removed the pure evil monster stuff and kept the antihero with a checkered past stuff

Prohass on
    Actually in God of War (PS4) there is at least one moment where Artreus is talking about not murdering innocent people and Kratos responds with “…” effectively.

edited October 2021
    Actually in God of War (PS4) there is at least one moment where Artreus is talking about not murdering innocent people and Kratos responds with “…” effectively.

True but I think that’s more of a nod to fans than it is a hallmark trait of the modern character, ie more of a meta commentary on the differences than saying they’re the same. The modern character may have murdered innocents but not habitually and not without remorse, the way the pre 2018 character does. Like there’s no amount of time or events that could turn the character as depicted in the first group of games into the 2018 one. Similar but with fairly key differences I’d argue

Prohass on
    He has remorse in a couple of games, such as Ascension (the prequel) but by the time of original God of War he's basically a blood thirsty homicidal lunatic bent on nothing but revenge and destruction.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Honestly, you're not missing much not playing the original games. I replayed them all over the last couple of years and they have aged horribly (especially the first one).

cckerberos.png
    yeah i kind of assumed that was the case. Im enjoying playing through the 3 remaster on easy, but ill just look up a story explainer for the rest if i get curious

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    1 has a semi interesting story. Greek tragedy and all that.

Here's 2's story paraphrased, which pretty much dovetails into 3.
    Kratos is the God of War and just being a raging dick. Gods tell him to stop being a raging dick. Kratos says "fuck you". Gods say "no fuck you" and slap him one. Kratos says "no fuck you" and kills them all.

I still maintain it helps to know how much of a raging dick Kratos used to be, so you can appreciate how goddamned restrained he is in GoWPS4. But it's not a terribly deep story.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."