As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

1979899100101103»

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I do wonder what they’ll do after the Norse storyline ends. I assume the team will want to take a break from the series but I have to believe that there will be pressure to do more eventually. I suppose it depends on how they wrap up ragnarok

Prohass on
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Surprisingly, the story of the first PSP game also kind of ties into 3 as well
    in that Hades is pissed you killed his wife (who was the big bad in that game)
    But yeah, Kratos got Flanderized from a semi-tragic figure in the first game to just the biggest asshole ever over the course of the series.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I do wonder what they’ll do after the Norse storyline ends. I assume the team will want to take a break from the series but I have to believe that there will be pressure to do more eventually. I suppose it depends on how they wrap up ragnarok

Christianity!

Sony PR managers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVpaDJcPPP8

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited October 2021
    It would be cool to see him kind of retire and go back to Sparta, and maybe like reluctantly help rebuild a pantheon for the region that isn’t awful, as kind of a final act of redemption. But as heretical as it might seem I’d also be open to a new character, either his son or someone completely new, maybe like an alternate timeline brings his daughter back or something and you get to play as a badass version of her

Also omg cutting the centaurs open like a tauntaun yes love it. I also love how many fights involve you slowly chopping bits off enemies Monty python black knight style

Prohass on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Christianity!

Sony PR managers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVpaDJcPPP8

814155141_3dnYd-L.jpg

edited October 2021
    Oh man, you don’t kill a priestess, as far as I can tell you kill a sex slave of Poseidon, who’s begging for her life, using her to jam the gears of a door, for no reason, he literally could’ve used rubble or anything else.

Like that death would’ve been brutal even for a bad guy, and you do it on a pointlessly naked woman begging for her life. That’s like duke nukem forever levels of bad, man I’m so glad they jettisoned this version of the character

Like yeah I’m fine with cutting Hermes legs off, bashing Hercules face in, cos their jerks on your power level, but this woman was arguably a victim of Poseidon already. And it’s not some spur of the moment thing like when he smashes a fleeing humans skull cos they’re in his way, he literally goes out of his way to rescue her multiple times, and the whole time I thought I was rescuing her, then he just throws her in the gears of a machine to hold a door open

Holy shit, that’s a super bad note, I mean I can push forward and ignore it and still enjoy the rest of the game, but that was an outrageously bad moment. Like it’s not even as if you’re playing a straight up villain, and even then it would’ve been bad. You’re still portrayed as an antihero or jerk, and crushing an innocent naked woman to death while she pleads for her life for no reason, yikes…

YIKES

Prohass on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yep, those games were shittily written in comparison to the new one. They were the poster child for stereotypical angry white man hurr durr violence. The new game is leaps and bounds better written and makes Kratos a genuinely contrite, complex and nuanced character.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The thing with pre-4 GoW is there really were no heroes as we understand the term.
    The gods were jerks, Kratos was a jerk even before the games, and they just play off each other, driving each other to be worse.
    I like the portrayal of gods as jerks because that feels much closer to the original mythology than other popular versions that just have Zeus as mighty and kind, etc. They were gods who were worshipped because they were more powerful than the humans, and they'd use that power in bad ways if worship wasn't forthcoming.
    Kratos isn't absolved of anything, but the PSP games (especially Ghost of Sparta) make it clear that the gods have been fucking with his life for his entire life.
    And every time they get a chance they screw him over again, even if it actively works against their plans. (including before they supposedly get infected with evil)
    They string him along for ten years of service with promises they know they can't/won't keep, Ares raised him to be a weapon against the other gods then gave him the perfect reason to turn on him, they all tell him to kill the God of War, make him the God of War in return (actively keeping him from killing himself when all he wanted to do was just fucking die and get it over with) then shun him for killing the previous God of War. On their express orders.
    The one time it looks like he's got a happy ending for himself, going into Elysium to be with his daughter and removing himself as a threat, one specifically shows up to taunt him and tell him that they're going to destroy everything including his daughter, the one thing that would convince him to leave so she'd be safe.

I see all of the Pre-PS4 games as a very extended Suicide By Kratos; every time they had a choice between doing something that would piss him off and not doing that, they only ever went one way. There's should have been pop-ups like when you're closing a program: You are about to piss off a god-killer. Are you sure you want to do this Y/N? They just ticked the 'don't ask me again' box and kept going.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited October 2021
    I am absolutely fine with all of that, except for that Poseidon sex slave thing was just crossing the line for me, like if felt out of character even with this older pre 2018 edge lord version of kratos.

It was like someone just had to have the “joke” in there, and it just doesn’t work at all. Like maybe if the woman was like cocky and refused to help and taunted you about how Poseidon would totally kill him when he gets back, it might have almost worked with something like that. Like I’m fine with kratos being a jerk to all the other jerks, and killing the random civilians is fine cos it’s quick and stupid and you can brush it off as like the chaos of the moment, but that entire sequence with the woman was so drawn out and gratuitous.

It very clearly felt less like something even edgelord kratos would do, and more like a joke that just did not land at all. Ie, the misdirect of rescuing the princess only to kill her is a joke that could kind of work if it was done very differently to how they did it. Ie, maybe don’t have her naked and begging for her life the whole time, and don’t have kratos go out of his way to do it. There’s also a text on the ground which implies Poseidon has been abusing the woman, or at the very least “angry” with her, so the whole thing shoots right past tasteless fun into yuck no territory

Prohass on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

One of the other European pantheons would be interesting as they're barely touched upon in media - like Czernobog in American Gods

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    It turns out that I am not afraid to take on Returnal bosses even without most of my health. My plan was to just die and respawn, but I had other ideas (5th boss spoiler btw):

Also this PS5 share stuff is so good. I am really impressed.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I’ve been trying hell let loose and I typically love historic tactics slow paced online shooters but this just isn’t grabbing me. The textures are pretty bad for everything ; the shooting just feels wrong and even for this genre there’s way too much running from nowhere to nowhere with no enemy forces. I’d been contemplating buying it on steam for quite awhile so I guess I’m at least thankful to Sony for Giving it to us for free and saving me that money

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The shooting mechanics push realistic behaviour over being ‘fun’ to shoot. There’s a video of the guy that runs the Royal Armouries watching some of the game and his reactions were pretty much ‘yeah, that’s how firing that gun would feel’.

Regarding the textures, it looks great on PC when cranked up, but it’s also a mega demanding game and not super well optimised and brings high end PCs to their knees at times. Guessing they dropped to roughly medium settings on consoles to maintain framerates.

I’ve been having a lot of fun on PC with it.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I like how Kratos's past comes back to haunt him.

Yeah like I’m glad they use aspects of it, but I’m also glad it’s not exactly 1:1, like even with age and remorse the kratos character of 4 is very different from the previous games. They use aspects of the previous games stories, ie revenge and rage getting out of control, without getting into the very awkward and very silly specifics of past kratos personality. Like the guy in 4 is a different, more complete character, just built out of the best ideas in the original while discarding the stuff that doesn’t really work if you’re wanting to create a sympathetic character

Like the kratos of 4 might have once been a guy who ignored the plight of others out of cynicism, or through his rage accidentally caused harm, but he would never have been the kratos of the previous games who intentionally hurt innocents and bystanders when there were other options available. Basically they removed the pure evil monster stuff and kept the antihero with a checkered past stuff

I hugely disagree with this and feel like you are both discounting how much people can change and grow (people worse than kratos in terms of personality have changed this much in reality due to life events) and the extremely, extremely good character writing that is going on in realistically acknowledging his previous actions and self,
    that comes to a head at the end of the game when he briefly goes back into that mode because he's forced to.

Like yes, he's very different. Almost a completely different character. Real people do this too.

"I want it to be this way" rather than "actually is this way".

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited October 2021
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The shooting mechanics push realistic behaviour over being ‘fun’ to shoot. There’s a video of the guy that runs the Royal Armouries watching some of the game and his reactions were pretty much ‘yeah, that’s how firing that gun would feel’.

Regarding the textures, it looks great on PC when cranked up, but it’s also a mega demanding game and not super well optimised and brings high end PCs to their knees at times. Guessing they dropped to roughly medium settings on consoles to maintain framerates.

Re: the guns it’s entirely possible I just have terrible , terrible aim but I can sneak up within 10 feet of someone standing still; aim at their back; hold my breath and unload three shots to no effect before they turn around and shoot me fairly often.

Another issue which is I guess restricted to
    Ps5 since they gave it away for free is the tking; probably half the games I join have friendlies at spawn just mowing everyone down. I guess Xbox players are turning off cross play to avoid the ps5 tkers :(

And the graphics are just oh so bad; all ground looks like someone made in ms paint and gun bolts etc are noticeably octagon when they’re supposed to be circular

taliosfalcon on
    -Loki- wrote: »

Re: the guns it’s entirely possible I just have terrible , terrible aim but I can sneak up within 10 feet of someone standing still; aim at their back; hold my breath and unload three shots to no effect before they turn around and shoot me fairly often.

That's not been my experience on PC at all. If I've got someone with their back turned, I'm close, and I'm ADSing right center mass, they're gone. Multiple shots are rarely needed - almost all guns will kill in 1-2 shots.

This sounds like they've got some real netcode problems on consoles.
    Another issue which is I guess restricted to
    Ps5 since they gave it away for free is the tking; probably half the games I join have friendlies at spawn just mowing everyone down. I guess Xbox players are turning off cross play to avoid the ps5 tkers :(

Yeah this doesn't happen on PC in my experience. Even if it did, server admins would just ban you quickly anyway. Given the player base isn't massive and at least in Australia, there's only 3-4 places that host servers, you'd quickly run out of servers to play on and just have wasted your money.

Though yeah, I guess being free greifers would have a few rounds pulling that shit for amusement then delete the game from their console.
    And the graphics are just oh so bad; all ground looks like someone made in ms paint and gun bolts etc are noticeably octagon when they’re supposed to be circular

Yeah, sounds like they dropped the graphics down to medium or even low presets. On High or Epic the game looks phenomenal. But, again, the game's still actually Early Access on PC and still going through optimization rounds. I'm surprised they released it on console while it's still Early Access.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I like how Kratos's past comes back to haunt him.

Yeah like I’m glad they use aspects of it, but I’m also glad it’s not exactly 1:1, like even with age and remorse the kratos character of 4 is very different from the previous games. They use aspects of the previous games stories, ie revenge and rage getting out of control, without getting into the very awkward and very silly specifics of past kratos personality. Like the guy in 4 is a different, more complete character, just built out of the best ideas in the original while discarding the stuff that doesn’t really work if you’re wanting to create a sympathetic character

Like the kratos of 4 might have once been a guy who ignored the plight of others out of cynicism, or through his rage accidentally caused harm, but he would never have been the kratos of the previous games who intentionally hurt innocents and bystanders when there were other options available. Basically they removed the pure evil monster stuff and kept the antihero with a checkered past stuff

I hugely disagree with this and feel like you are both discounting how much people can change and grow (people worse than kratos in terms of personality have changed this much in reality due to life events) and the extremely, extremely good character writing that is going on in realistically acknowledging his previous actions and self,
    that comes to a head at the end of the game when he briefly goes back into that mode because he's forced to.

Like yes, he's very different. Almost a completely different character. Real people do this too.

"I want it to be this way" rather than "actually is this way".

It's also looking at the character completely backwards. Of course it's going to look weird, because you can't do that. For the person Kratos was during God of War 1/2/3, that was 100% in character for who he was. He cares next to nothing about anything else except killing the gods. If you're in his way of that goal, then you're screwed. He's not an anti-hero, and he's in no way the person he is in PS4 GoW. Absolutely a dumb and tasteless scene. Absolutely in character for him at the time. And something you have to take into consideration which his current character in PS4 GoW. "He would never do that"? He did it. That's the point.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I’ve been trying hell let loose and I typically love historic tactics slow paced online shooters but this just isn’t grabbing me. The textures are pretty bad for everything ; the shooting just feels wrong and even for this genre there’s way too much running from nowhere to nowhere with no enemy forces. I’d been contemplating buying it on steam for quite awhile so I guess I’m at least thankful to Sony for Giving it to us for free and saving me that money

Haven't played the game but from what I've read, a lot of the unnecessary running is caused by officers failing to use outposts correctly.

cckerberos.png
    edited October 2021
    cckerberos wrote: »

Haven't played the game but from what I've read, a lot of the unnecessary running is caused by officers failing to use outposts correctly.

This is very true.

The locations you take to progress the map are spawn points but are spaced pretty far apart. So if you spawn on those but the front has moved on, you've got a lot of walking ahead of you. And probably a lot of being shot in the face in an open field by someone you couldn't even see (recon in this game have very, very long ranged sniper rifles).

Squad officers can plonk down outposts (spawn points) for their squad. They're limited to one at a time per squad so they can't spam them, and enemies can remove them by just being close to them after clearing out the squad, but if officers are properly putting down outposts as the front moves across the map, you shouldn't have much walking between fights.

One of the biggest things with the game is teamwork. You really want to be on voice chat, and if you don't have a mic, at least listen to what people are telling you. And if you're in a command role, you need to know what you're doing otherwise the team will very likely fail.

-Loki- on
    Man screw these directional swirl button prompts during the quick time events in god of war 3, I fail everyone like 10 times before randomly getting it. There’s just never enough time to read the direction of the swirl and then input it

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Man screw these directional swirl button prompts during the quick time events in god of war 3, I fail everyone like 10 times before randomly getting it. There’s just never enough time to read the direction of the swirl and then input it

I had this issue in GoW1/2, but then I was playing these games on flat-panels via a PS3 that was de-interlacing. Really horrible combo for reflex tests designed for a CRT.

Of course GoW3 targeted 720p so presumably they tried it on LCDs at some point.

edited October 2021
    Playing kill zone shadow fall, man I’m so glad these guys moved on to horizon zero dawn. I’ve never played such a perfectly average nothing game, it’s like it’s made of a million other games, just a beige paste of nothingness. It’s so flat and perfunctory. Like the designs and everything are great but also somehow utterly devoid of life

For a team that worked on like 3 kill zones before this it also feels really bad to play in a lot of ways. Like somehow their first 3rd person game felt like they had been making third person action games for decades, but this feels like their first attempt at a shooter, even tho they had been making shooters for a decade at this point

Like it’s not a bad game, but somehow the sum of its parts is way less than it should be. Like nothings bad or broken it’s just flat and empty. It’s like production values are high, presentation is high quality, even the fairly open shooting gameplay is decent, it’s just you can feel the lack of heart in it, I don’t know whether that’s just me reading into it, knowing that they moved on, and that this was like contractual or whatever, but it just feels like a game made by committee and by the numbers

Prohass on
    All that effort for an incredibly trippy ending, but where is the secret boss you are obviously promising me Returnal? I stressed for ages to have lots of health and such, but you fiddled me good game!!!

I had a very good time with Returnal and getting the platinum will be fairly easy at this point, but man do I feel a bit let down there wasn’t a secret boss or similar.

If there is PLEASE tell me how to get it. As for the “ending”, I am going to have to figure this one out. I really hope there is more of Selene to come.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Nope act 3 is basically a fetch quest.

I'm missing like 5 ciphers for the platinum. They apparently released an update that makes getting ciphers easier after I put the game down.

Yeah it was really disappointing, even if I love the weirdness.

Now, Deathloop or Ratchet and Clank?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Yeah it was really disappointing, even if I love the weirdness.

Now, Deathloop or Ratchet and Clank?

Ratchet and Clank is a good palette cleanser. Especially since Deathloop is kind of like Returnal with the Roguelike feel.

But Deathloop is 100x better IMO. R&C is fun though.

Ratchet and clank is a great show piece for the hardware and very fun

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Deathloop is fantastic, it looks great and also makes good use of the DualSense, really cool story and fantastic level design. If you like Dishonored or Hitman, pick it up.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Oh man, you don’t kill a priestess, as far as I can tell you kill a sex slave of Poseidon, who’s begging for her life, using her to jam the gears of a door, for no reason, he literally could’ve used rubble or anything else.

Like that death would’ve been brutal even for a bad guy, and you do it on a pointlessly naked woman begging for her life. That’s like duke nukem forever levels of bad, man I’m so glad they jettisoned this version of the character

Like yeah I’m fine with cutting Hermes legs off, bashing Hercules face in, cos their jerks on your power level, but this woman was arguably a victim of Poseidon already. And it’s not some spur of the moment thing like when he smashes a fleeing humans skull cos they’re in his way, he literally goes out of his way to rescue her multiple times, and the whole time I thought I was rescuing her, then he just throws her in the gears of a machine to hold a door open

Holy shit, that’s a super bad note, I mean I can push forward and ignore it and still enjoy the rest of the game, but that was an outrageously bad moment. Like it’s not even as if you’re playing a straight up villain, and even then it would’ve been bad. You’re still portrayed as an antihero or jerk, and crushing an innocent naked woman to death while she pleads for her life for no reason, yikes…

YIKES

You seemed to have missed the entire underlying premise of the original GoW games. Everyone in them is an asshole. even PS4 God of War Kratos realizes hes a monster.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Deathloop is fantastic, it looks great and also makes good use of the DualSense, really cool story and fantastic level design. If you like Dishonored or Hitman, pick it up.

I already do own Deathloop :)

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Deathloop is so good but after beating it I'm kinda not interested in finishing the puzzles I missed.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited October 2021
    Yeah as someone who is not a completionist or a search for every little thing person deathloop was a very satisfactory 10 hour game but I wish I’d waited until it dropped to 40$; I feel burned having paid the full 90$ (cad) for it. Very good game or so I’ve been told but not my type of thing. Also having played dishonoured 1 and 2 it felt more like an expansion pack to those rather than a full standalone game since so much was reused

taliosfalcon on
    edited October 2021
    I'm not at all disappointed by the game and it didn't feel anything like an expansion pack. It felt like a fully realised game and mechanic, was well presented, I enjoyed it greatly. I'm a little disappointed that people aren't happy with a novel concept being pulled off so well, because they don't quite seem to realise just how difficult this would have been to implement. It's a small number of maps, so it should be easy right? Can you even imagine the bugs? This game would have been a nightmare to make. It fully deserves being full price.

I'm just done, is all. I'll come back to it later and try different methods of assassinating the targets etc.

Morninglord on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I finished up Kena last night. The story was really good and a lot of the environmental puzzles were fun to solve. The combat, on the other hand, was either mind-numbingly easy or brain-splittingly difficult and there was no way to know which one one it would be until you started the fight. Most of the boss fights were difficult and some were almost impossible without dropping the difficulty level down a notch or two. there were a few environmental (jumping) puzzles that required split-second timing and pixel perfect accuracy, but most were pretty forgiving. Overall, you could do worse for $40 and a lazy weekend.

26904.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Roe made a new thread by the way - https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/242124/playstation-5-already-holds-3-game-of-the-year-awards

I'm kinda sad I didn't finish Kena when I did because now that I have Metroid I just wanna play that.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I wish they'd fix the issue where using headphones doesn't kick in until you log-in to the PS5.

Like you plug headphones into the controller, start the PS5, come to log-in screen. All sound is through the TV/speakers. Immediately upon clicking your user the sound switches to headphones. This wasn't the case with PS4 and if I play when SO's sleeping now I must mute the tv on turning the console on. It's hard to remember and I feel like "3.5mm plugged in? y/n" is a standard gate check for whether to shoot audio out of the speakers or not.

PSN: Honkalot

I mean...Ragnarok isnt all that special a concept. if you think about it, The greek panathon has already had there version of it (Thanks to Athena and how she used Kratos). not saying Kratos is innocent here but its already happened at least once. Ragnarok is just the norse version of it. Makes me think that each panthon is its own 'world' and they are connected via the equivilent of the world tree. So the references to egypt and such is actually when Tyr travelled via the world tree to other worlds. this also explains how the world still exists after it was completely flooded by the events of the pre PS4 God of war games.

edited October 2021
    It depends on how you want to read the end of God of War
    As Kratos is directly depicted as dying at the end of Ragnarok.

Something that he doesn't point out to Loki when he sees it and most importantly, he appears to just accept this will happen.

Aegeri on
    edited October 2021
    Yeah but the thing about ragnarok is that the whole idea is that its not just the end of the world, its a cycle of death and rebirth. (Not just the gods, but the world) I don't doubt Kratos will 'die'...in fact if this is planned out to be a trilogy, i expect kratos to die in this next game, with Boy ended up being the main protag of the third game, in an attempt to bring him back by completing ragnarok.

However, If we are going by mythology, we already have broken prophecy.
    Thors sons arent suppose to be dead at this point. The Valykeries are in a completely wrong state because of something odin has done (Which knowing how he works was probably done as some attempt to stop or alter what happens in Ragnarok.) Loki was suppose to be imprisoned and being tortured until Ragnarok started, which would free him to lead the forces of 'evil' (Which included the giants) against Asgard. Baldurs death always was the 'trigger' to start ragnarok so we arent completely off the rails of standard mythology here, but key people in the myths are being killed off early,and the giants are all dead, which is a pretty huge hint that whatever the giants thought was going to happen isnt set in stone.

azith28 on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The God of War team has said that Ragnarok will be the end of this story, no trilogy.