As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I use swampert with mudshot and hydro cannon (and earthquake) as that shield breaker mon and since it's not bad against anything I remember from the rocket leaders or gio it can usually kill the first two on it's own.
    discrider wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    I have not beaten Giovanni.
    I assumed I had to level purified Pokemon.

He was surprisingly easy! Sierra was more trouble

His Persian just wrecks my first Pokemon, and then I'm down 1.5 pokes by the second.

And yeah, looks like Purified getting a multipler vs Shadow is a thing
    Just the multiplier has been set to 1x.

I'm fairly sure they even talked about that in official channels when shadow mon first appeared and it was then quietly forgotten. Personally I also like the subtle purified glow, so I still keep some of those.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    ye I have a... I think it's charge beam-magnet bomb magnezone that very nearly prevents opposing rocket mons from attacking at all because it fires off charge moves so quickly

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I've long stopped playing this, but man, if anything ever exemplified why, it's this:
    https://www.polygon.com/22549386/pokemon-go-gym-pokestop-distance-changes-niantic-statement

I've been saying this forever but Niantic is so damn high on themselves for "getting people together" that they refuse to budge on these much needed changes. They finally do something good - because they *had* to - and now they want to roll it back.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    "the length of a football field" seems patently false but i also havent been on a football field in ages so my scale may be off.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I've long stopped playing this, but man, if anything ever exemplified why, it's this:
    https://www.polygon.com/22549386/pokemon-go-gym-pokestop-distance-changes-niantic-statement

I've been saying this forever but Niantic is so damn high on themselves for "getting people together" that they refuse to budge on these much needed changes. They finally do something good - because they *had* to - and now they want to roll it back.

I mean, they’ve changed A LOT over the years, most of which has been for the better. Load as and loads of quality of life stuff, fun events, etc. It’s been a very positive experience for me overall. But granted it’s much easier to yell about something negative (which, granted, sucks and I’d rather they didn’t).

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    if they shorten the pokestop distance i'm dropping the game.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hey everyone! So you might be wondering, "Why is Dover here?" Well, I've got exciting Pokemon Go related news!

My wife has been offered a job at Niantic! I can't go into the details yet since the offer hasn't been completed and a start date announced, but she's incredibly excited at this new career path. She recently celebrated her 15th anniversary at Microsoft, so a change is long overdue.

This whole hiring process got her back into Pokemon Go, which she hadn't played since 2016. There have been so many changes and she's loving it. More importantly, it's given her an outlet to go outside and just walk. It's been a HUGE boon to her mental health, which has been kind of bad through the whole pandemic.

Anyways, we'll have more info hopefully later this week. That means you can send your suggestions and praise directly to a higher up. Let's...let's just avoid any super negative feedback until she gets up and running. :biggrin:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    It's OK, this isnt twitter, it's safe here :). Congrats to your wife on the job!

Yay MNC Dover's wife!

In less exciting but still exciting news, this Thursday will be Bidoof Day! Here's the features:

Bidoof will be appearing in incredibly high numbers
    All raids will be Bidoof
    All Team Rocket grunts will fight with Bidoofs
    The Battle League will host the Bidoof cup, in which all your Pokemon must be Bidoof
    Also x4 XP, I guess. But still, BIDOOF

(Yes, this is hilarious.)

WELL LEMME START MY LIST OF GRIEVANCES!

nah jk I hope she has a long and happy career there!

camo_sig2.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to tell people my uncle internet friend's wife works at Nintendo Niantic!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Need a new friend for the research task. I play quite regularly.
    9169 6212 3094

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    My only suggestion is a complete and total UI redesign.

Otherwise I do think Niantic has made some good changes over the years. I still dislike some of their core strategies (basically going heavy on FOMO) but I have mostly managed to stop being bothered by them. I'm playing quite casually now and that's still fun. It's also fun seeing my son interact with the game.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    There's too much stuff now.
    I've abandoned the game because it's become impossible to walk down the street while hitting every task.

The wife starts at Niantic next Tuesday, the 10th. This time off has been so good for her health and she’s really excited to start her new job.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The wife starts at Niantic next Tuesday, the 10th. This time off has been so good for her health and she’s really excited to start her new job.

Tell her to bring back the covid boosts, their ridiculous bs about removing them is frankly dumb.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

Tell her to bring back the covid boosts, their ridiculous bs about removing them is frankly dumb.

I'm sure they've heard many, many times over.

Kind of shocked they went ahead and lowered the spin distance with COVID cases rising again. But I guess they figured "eh, it's their fault they're not vaccinated, we can't do anything" like, well, everyone else. Wish they'd bring it back though.

• CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular
    Oof that lowering in ring distance for pokestop and gym detection feels real bad.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
    It was certainly nice while it lasted :). It'll take me some time to get used to it again... not sure if I will play as much, working from home in a low-stop area made it difficult to play regularly during pandemic; I don't see it getting easier now that it's back to normal (and i am still working fully from home).

In more positive news, I did like 5 dialga raids and got 2/5 shinies, which is pretty phenomenal! I am tempted to try for a hundo/shundo but remote passes add up fast.

It was certainly nice while it lasted :). It'll take me some time to get used to it again... not sure if I will play as much, working from home in a low-stop area made it difficult to play regularly during pandemic; I don't see it getting easier now that it's back to normal (and i am still working fully from home).

In more positive news, I did like 5 dialga raids and got 2/5 shinies, which is pretty phenomenal! I am tempted to try for a hundo/shundo but remote passes add up fast.

aw dang i did like 6 and no shinies
    you took mine
    gimme

camo_sig2.png
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited August 2021
    My wife mentioned there was an Eevee event going on and she left to go catch one. 30 minutes later she sends me this:

kkj7egwcno6v.jpeg

Good lord, is it a breeding orgy or something?

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    My wife mentioned there was an Eevee event going on and she left to go catch one. 30 minutes later she sends me this:

kkj7egwcno6v.jpeg

Good lord, is it a breeding orgy or something?

It's a good time to have just hit level 41.
    Now got most of the Eeveelutions and just awaiting nightfall for the last.

edited August 2021
    Also a good time to eevolve this one:
    o24xailafcsn.png
    And get the Go Eevee flowers on a well-stated Sylveon

discrider on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I see niantic is restoring the covid bonus's to New Zealand after they had 5 cases of covid show up in the country. Its like they are purposefully flipping off people now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    I see niantic is restoring the covid bonus's to New Zealand after they had 5 cases of covid show up in the country. Its like they are purposefully flipping off people now.

I mean, the entire country of New Zealand is in strict lockdown again, so....

So I stopped playing this awhile ago and thus haven't been paying super close attention, but is it me or have they been basically ignoring Sun & Moon to skip to Sword & Shield gen? I keep seeing them add all these Sword and Shield Pokemon to Go but I have yet to see them add Sun & Shield stuff (unless I just totally missed it)

So I stopped playing this awhile ago and thus haven't been paying super close attention, but is it me or have they been basically ignoring Sun & Moon to skip to Sword & Shield gen? I keep seeing them add all these Sword and Shield Pokemon to Go but I have yet to see them add Sun & Shield stuff (unless I just totally missed it)

It's a special thing tying into Hoopa doing wacky stuff with reality. First it was Oops All Legendaries during Go Fest, then we had a time and space event featuring fossils/futuristic Pokemon and regionals. The Sword/Shield stuff is just part of the wackiness.

The game has pretty much abandoned the need to completely finish a gen before moving onto the next one -- there's still some holes in the Unova dex even though we're still fairly deep in Kalos, and we STILL haven't gotten Kecleon for whatever reason. But long story short no, we don't have any Sun/Moon stuff yet. And I'd be surprised if we get more Sword/Shield stuff for a while after this thing.

cloudeagle wrote: »

It's a special thing tying into Hoopa doing wacky stuff with reality. First it was Oops All Legendaries during Go Fest, then we had a time and space event featuring fossils/futuristic Pokemon and regionals. The Sword/Shield stuff is just part of the wackiness.

The game has pretty much abandoned the need to completely finish a gen before moving onto the next one -- there's still some holes in the Unova dex even though we're still fairly deep in Kalos, and we STILL haven't gotten Kecleon for whatever reason. But long story short no, we don't have any Sun/Moon stuff yet. And I'd be surprised if we get more Sword/Shield stuff for a while after this thing.

Seriously? They STILL haven't done Kecleon? WTF? But yeah, I guess that's what it is. It just seems like I keep seeing all these Sword and Shield promos and now they're bringing in some of the trash pokemon from that gen. I guess they did do Alolan forms but that's about the only Sun & Moon stuff they've acknowledged :/

Kecleon is in, you just can't see it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    i am legitimately surprised that they reverted back to the bigger radius, but i'm happy to hear it!

You're welcome!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Is it just me or is Furfrou the easiest poke to get an excellent throw on consistently? It seems to be at just the right distance that the curve ball launch angle is easy to get and it’s got a huge centre ring on top of that.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    I've always found Kangaskhan the easiest.
    Just full power curve ball throw.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I always used to prefer Mr. Mimes or maybe Onix for when there was a “make three excellent throws” type mission but Furfrou just seems easier somehow. Maybe it’s the angle my flicks naturally follow?
    Heh, maybe there’s a paper in this? “An analysis of the natural projection angle of rapid forefinger extension along a flat surface” or something.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited October 2021
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Furfrou the easiest poke to get an excellent throw on consistently? It seems to be at just the right distance that the curve ball launch angle is easy to get and it’s got a huge centre ring on top of that.

Absolutely! I abused the crap out of him for experience. Here's hoping he shows back up when I level up and start getting the "get four excellents in a row" challenge.

Edit: Ursaring's probably easier since he's so ridiculously in your face, but you rarely see him in the wild.

cloudeagle on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Aipom is almost a guaranteed excellent throw.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Aipom is almost a guaranteed break out of 47 balls in a row and then run away.

Fixed.