As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Hello beer thread.

My office is moving to a new space, and the subject of a kegarator has been bandied about. I've never purchased or had one, but I have experienced their glory on many occasions held in friends backyards. Looking at something that fits a pony keg (or two) and I have found some options through quick searches, but wanted to see if anyone here has recommendations. Company is paying for it, so I would like to keep it reasonable so that we get a thumbs up.

My kegerator at home is just an old fridge that I drilled the door to install taps so I don't have first-hand knowledge of commercial brands. That said, from both the HomeBrewTalk forums and homebrewing subreddit, most people say really good things about the Kegland kegerators. Designed well, minimal compressor hump, and include a fan to chill the tower, which is important to keep the taps cold. If the taps aren't cold your first pour will be nothing but foam until it chills down.
    https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Gifts-More/Gift-Locator/Beer-Gifts-Over-30000/KegLand-Series-4-Kegerator

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    The Judge wrote: »
    At my usual taproom tonight. Wrapping up - growler fill time. Barley Browns epic CDA of the gods, Turmoil, is on the board but flashing red. I check the website - 0% full says the technology.

Fuck it, says I - fill it. After all, partial fills are free but you have to drink it in house. Worst case scenario, I'm passing out tastes. The owner, tending taps tonight for the first time in months, is dubious I'm getting anything to take home. Two guys behind me legit bet each other their next drink if it'll make it. Half the bar watches it fill up.

I haven't been hanging out with crowds for a while, so it was kind of good to hear a loud cheer as the overflow occurred. Covered me, my friend, the guys behind me, and a half pint for the owner. 0% is a theory because this keg is eternal.

Witness! All foamy and chrome!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    As an out of towner Upright Brewing is confusing to find. The beer I have is good, but not sure its worth accidentally getting on the freeway. I'll have to try another for science.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    As an out of towner Upright Brewing is confusing to find. The beer I have is good, but not sure its worth accidentally getting on the freeway. I'll have to try another for science.

It's not like it's in the basement of a building with little parking on an small block of property among a riot of one-way streets or anything.

1puws2kd7qsv.png

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Can a microbrewery be anything but artesian?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    A beer well sounds cool but I can't imagine the aquifer would be carbonated.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    There are old public fountains all over central Europe that contain naturally sparkling mineral water!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHvj0MJw7z4&t=1570s

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Fresh hop beers were consumed with @Magell this evening - can confirm he's real.

• Options
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Magell wrote: »
    Its true the Judge is a real person. Fresh hops are very delightful.

But not The Judge?

Confirmed: Magell hates The Judge.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don’t believe either of you.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    This beer’s flavor is unmistakenly just “bong water filtered through a gym sock”

pbec8ubgjscn.jpeg

It’s all I got though

Edit: gah, I had to have another….someone had to work HARD to make this specific flavor, something this vile doesn’t happen by accident….ah geez ::chuggg::

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    I’m now sufficiently buzzed to go to the country club with my in-laws against my will and drink Coors Lite because few rich assholes drink yummy ales

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    For anyone in the DMV, Oxorcist II by Old Ox Brewery is a really delicious dark pumpkin beer.

I love pumpkin beer season, it's my favorite gimmick beer season.

• Options
    I am happily drinking at the Hops Fest in Hood River after a one year absence because if they actually hold it, I will absolutely drive out and imbibe the good stuff.

• Options
    I wish my teatotaling, short-of-patience wife would let me go to to a beerfest

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I wish somebody would have gotten an outdoor beerfest together around here.

There's a fest that I like happening this Saturday but it's inside the Field Museum in Chicago and is massively crowded under normal circumstances, so that's going to be a big old hard pass from me this year.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

There's a fest that I like happening this Saturday but it's inside the Field Museum in Chicago and is massively crowded under normal circumstances, so that's going to be a big old hard pass from me this year.

Have I got good news for you:
    https://mortonarb.org/explore/activities/food-and-beverage/cider-ale-festival/#!

I don't want to say they've gone full Elysium, but the $75 VIP Ticket includes, "Private restroom access". JFC.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

Have I got good news for you:
    https://mortonarb.org/explore/activities/food-and-beverage/cider-ale-festival/#!

I don't want to say they've gone full Elysium, but the $75 VIP Ticket includes, "Private restroom access". JFC.

That is tempting. I remember hitting a point at that one a few years back where my body wanted no part of any more cider, but my wife and I did try a bunch that we really liked.

Lol at the private restroom access though.

• Options
    Keg blew while I was filling up last night, thus I walked out with roughly 50+ oz. of free beer.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Did they just have you put your mouth over the spout or

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    The owner was pouring and training a new bartender, so . . . no, not this time.

The rule at this place is that you don't pay for the order if the keg kicks mid-way. If you asked for a pint and it dies out halfway, congrats, here's your half pint.

In this case, I was 5/6ths through a growler fill.

The Judge on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    The owner was pouring and training a new bartender, so . . . no, not this time.

The rule at this place is that you don't pay for the order if the keg kicks mid-way. If you asked for a pint and it dies out halfway, congrats, here's your half pint.

In this case, I was 5/6ths through a growler fill.

That is a great policy

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I am drinking a beer called Hotel Water, described as "A refreshing sour ale brewed with cucumbers lemon, and lime slices." on Untappd, but the can itself lacks the "sour" part.

It's heavy on the cucumber flavor, such that the citrus fades into a tart/sourness that's reminiscent of eating a fresh pickle... except utterly lacking the saltiness one would expect.

Is it bad? No, but it is not the flavor I was anticipating or would have preferred.

• Options
    The vrewery I'm at has their weekly new beer as a pumpkin habanero beer and the pumpkin pie spices perfectly blend into the building heat at the end.

I'm a spice baby and it was very good.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Rhinegeist doesn't make my favorite hard cider anymore and all the other hard ciders I can find are too fucking sugary. Like drinking apple syrup.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Rhinegeist doesn't make my favorite hard cider anymore and all the other hard ciders I can find are too fucking sugary. Like drinking apple syrup.

MacIvor's Dry is my favoritest cider in the entire world, and I'm mad that I still can't get it in the US.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    We actually make a pretty dope dry cider here at the meadery called English Humour (because it is dry.) There's also French Humour which is sweeter but not necessarily because it's French that's just a coincidence.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Stopped by the local Oktoberfest in town. It's really great having a downtown within walking distance.

Was hoping to pick up a stein but apparently they didn't make them this year. Still enjoyed the Oktoberfest and WunderPilz biers from Scorched Earth brewery. Oktoberfest was good, didn't like the Pilz as much; just a style preference.

It was fun seeing people dressed for the occasion, even if it was more Party City than Dusseldorf Stadt.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Went to the brewery in town I never go to because its the furthest from me and was reminded that their beer fucking rules.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Juggernut wrote: »
    We actually make a pretty dope dry cider here at the meadery called English Humour (because it is dry.) There's also French Humour which is sweeter but not necessarily because it's French that's just a coincidence.

Bring me some cider juggs

And some Mead

I wish I still had some of the first bottles the local meadery put out. But they were like 40 bucks for 375ml so I only bought one. They called it marzipan's labyrinth. It was a traditional mead made entirely with almond blossom honey. It was so freaking good.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    1d7ljfc5o39d.jpg

My wife bought me this because of the rad can art. It's pretty nice! Not as piney as a NW IPA or as fruity as a NE IPA, just a nice pleasant beer that's got good hop notes without being overly bitter. It also does not taste as strong as it is!

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Having a modern classic.

9iohgk9z14y4.jpeg

• Options
    Ethea wrote: »
    Having a modern classic.

9iohgk9z14y4.jpeg

Ooof. The beer I miss from no longer living in new england

• Options
    That is a beer that pretty much lived up to the hype.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    1d7ljfc5o39d.jpg

My wife bought me this because of the rad can art. It's pretty nice! Not as piney as a NW IPA or as fruity as a NE IPA, just a nice pleasant beer that's got good hop notes without being overly bitter. It also does not taste as strong as it is!

That picture looks like a super hero origin story. That cat looked at the wrong supernova and once the nova gets done shooting lasers at it the cat is gonna have some rad powers.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Having a modern classic.

I live in upstate NY so it is a drive but not impossible. For the last couple of years as part of my birthday I make the drive out to pick up some.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Having a modern classic.

I live in upstate NY so it is a drive but not impossible. For the last couple of years as part of my birthday I make the drive out to pick up some.

It's such a good beer and respect to the Alchemist for resisting the temptation to go full distribution with it.

A friend had a cabin in Vermont that was in Heady Topper area and within driving distance to Hill Farmstead. Such a cool area.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Is Heady Topper not full distribution? I can find it on local grocery store shelves a couple times a year, here in San Diego.